Playing FE 5 for the first time

ragnell.

Good morning SF. Today I an going to begin FE 5 and I am thinking of doing a blind playthrough (I always do this on my first run). So my question is if It is possible to end this game with anybody, keeping everyone alive and recruiting all the units? Or there is the risk of picking really bad units that could prevent me from fulfilling those conditions. Thanks beforehand.( Some tips would also be appreciated)

Edited by ragnell.

You can get away with using anyone, just some will make the game easier than others. I recommend not worrying about anything and just playing the game.

You can't recruit "everyone". You have to make a choice between Olwen and Eyrios, and then there's route dependant characters. Route A characters are generally better since you have a competant Mage Knight, a Priest with A rank in staves right off the bat and a mounted healer with some combat.

Few characters are really horrible if you plan to take your time. Shanam is a crappy fighter, but even someone like Miranda can pick on level 1 Soldiers in Chapter 18 with relative ease. Growths are generally quite high and easily boosted by scrolls.

Take your time, know how some of the game mechanics work (such as PCC, leadership/movement stars, fatigue, supports) and you should be ok.

On Escape maps (denoted by having a red arrow as an "Exit" mark), make sure Leaf is the last to leave the map. When Leaf escapes the map ends, and all units that didn't escape are captured, and you can't get them back until way late in the game.

That's really the only important thing to remember, as everything else isn't too much of an issue if you're familiar with FE in general. I also don't consider the "Give everything to Leaf and Rifis in Ch3" thing to be a big deal, since nothing is permanently lost.

Although if you want to recruit everyone, check the recruitment and Gaiden maps requirements on the main site. One character in particular has the most ridiculous recruitment requirements in the ENTIRE series.

Edited by Jave

One character in particular has the most ridiculous recruitment requirements in the ENTIRE series.

Your avatar makes this an amazing statement.

You're going to have a bad time in chapter 4 no matter what. Healing items, lockpick, and some swords are all I'd take.

@OP: Use everyone at first, then ditch the ones that aren't doing well. No character is so bad as to be unusable.

Thanks for the tips! I just finished chapter one and this is my current team : Leaf lvl 3 --> 23 hp/ 6 str / 1 mgc/ 3 skl/ 7 spd / 8 luck / 4 def ( nice level up!)Othin lvl 3--> 28/8/1/8/10/4/5. Tania lvl 3 --> 21/4/1/7/12/8/2. ( the rest is at base lvl)

In general a liked this first chapter, I feel this is a good starting team and the only one struggling is Maati ( only using him for chip damage ). Also, I liked the capturing system and I had fun getting the javelins and vulneraries ( makes me wonder why it was not used on subsequent games)

Yeah, the capture system is one of the main reasons Fe5 is my favorite Fe game, as it brings in a huge new, unique element to the Fe formula. I guess the reason they didn't bring it back is because they decided to completely simplify everything for the Gba era, then took the series in a different direction afterwards in contrast to Shouzou Kaga's.

Capture made sense in the context of Leaf's story in FE5, because Leaf was hiding in some random village with no money so they needed to do some dirty work to get their weapons, plus the fact that it's a huge rebellion. Plus, stats were so low that capture would work.

I believe FE9 is the only game that sort of addresses the lack of a Capture system. Early in the game Shinon attempts to steal some weapons from a dead enemy soldier, but he's scolded by Ike since doing that is considered unethical.

Otherwise you'll have a bad time in chapter 4.

Thanks for this advice, it helped a lot.

Just finished chapter 4x, Leaf was a god among men with his 11 def and getting another move quite often; I will also use karin, fergus and Lara. Now with chapter 5

Jesus 11 defence? How in the world did you manage that? Leaf doesn't normally hit that until well after promotion.

I suspected that it was not normal that my lord had the same def. of Dalsin. See him:

leaf142.png

leaf14.png

In comparison almost everyone else have gotten really bad lvls up (looking at Felgus and Brighton 0 stats lvl up)

I believe FE9 is the only game that sort of addresses the lack of a Capture system. Early in the game Shinon attempts to steal some weapons from a dead enemy soldier, but he's scolded by Ike since doing that is considered unethical.

I always thought that referred to items dropped by enemies.

Also, for FE5, you can use a larger amount of people that you would normally, thanks to the fatigue system. You get 17 units and Leaf for the final, but a party of 20 might be good for the whole game.

Now on chapter 8, Leaf became his own Jeigan and found this phase of the game really good, it makes you feel the pressure and constant danger that Leaf´s party always have while escaping. Also will use Shiva and probably drop Hikkusu ( I do not like that 5 base spd).

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finished it and now it became one of my favorites, it really was an excellent game and a good challenge when you complete it without abusing the warp staff. The only frustrating thing was Xavier´s recruitment, and besides of that chapter 24x was a staff fest with warps , rescues, restores, silences and sleeps (now I know why staves are the best thing since slice bread in this game). Now with FE 2.