Background update 14 September

VincentASM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm reminded of Catria and Minerva's supports in FE12 where they comment about the wind feeling great as they fly on their mounts.

Also, something cool I noticed.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, the Warm Empire was founded by the unification of the northern and southern kingdoms following a great war (sound familiar?). Then, to honor the great Warm Empire, itself named after the first king (presumably referring to Arum), the second king of Warm changed the continent's name to Warm as well.

Later, the Warm Empire saw rise to many conflicts and eventually split into several nations. It was only in recent years when Valhart united the empire once again. Valhart is referred to as the second coming of Warm's first king, but Viole reckons there's something he lacks--love. For, although the first Warm king was as brave as Valhart, he had a kind and compassionate queen by his side.

So if it wasn't already clear that Warm=Barensia, there you have it.

You mean like practically every other dancer in the series?

From what I remember, seems like Ninian's the only one that isn't wearing an outfit designed to "emphasize their attributes."

Edited by shadowofchaos

The fact Olivia's in the classic boobs and butt pose means they're clearly going for titillation over anything else. I don't know about you, but that's not what I want for the future of Fire Emblem.

Actually, looking at some of the Treasue artwork of Genealogy's Dancers like Sylvia, Leen and Laylea, those ones seem to be less-dressed and fan-servicey then Olivia is.

Actually, looking at some of the Treasue artwork of Genealogy's Dancers like Sylvia, Leen and Laylea, those ones seem to be less-dressed and fan-servicey then Olivia is.

Those aren't the official arts though. Look at the TCG art.

Whether Sylvia is wearing slightly less clothing than Olivia isn't important. Olivia's art screams "Look at my butt! And, as a special bonus, I'm contorting my body so you can look at my boobs too!" There's no reason to be in that pose other than titillation -- the FE4 dancers at least look like they're, y'know, dancing. The impression I get from the art is something other than "I exist solely to be eyecandy for male viewers".

Whether Sylvia is wearing slightly less clothing than Olivia isn't important. Olivia's art screams "Look at my butt! And, as a special bonus, I'm contorting my body so you can look at my boobs too!" There's no reason to be in that pose other than titillation -- the FE4 dancers at least look like they're, y'know, dancing. The impression I get from the art is something other than "I exist solely to be eyecandy for male viewers".

I actually think the pose is graceful, but that leotard thing. It screams LOOK AT MY BUTTT I'M SO SEXY. If she had a little miniskirt thing over that, I don't think it would be as bad. It would still be fanservicey but not as much.

And Laylea's picture also shows some sidebreast if you want to be so technical. It seems a bit silly to complain too much about it, is all I'm saying.

Edited by S.C. Amigo

And Laylea's picture also shows some sidebreast if you want to be so technical. It seems a bit silly to complain too much about it, is all I'm saying.

The point isn't whether or not the character is sexy. the point is whether or not the picture does anything but sexiness. A picture that is solely sexy has its place, but that place isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a game about shooting magic spells and stabbing dragons. Olivia's character isn't all sexiness all the time, and her art doesn't reflect that at all.

I don't know about that. The FE 4 dancer's official art is fairly risque, especially for the time period (1990's) they were created in. If anything, they're revealing far more skin than Olivia is. And while Olivia's art is fairly fanservicey, there is a certain grace to the pose she's in.

And on the whole, I'm not sure why everyone's surprised that they've ramped the fanservice up a bit. Awakening's obviously far more anime-esque than previous Fire Emblems, which means, of course, fanservice.

Now whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.

Edited by Onestep

I'm not expressing surprise, just disappointment.

And can you honestly look at Sylvia's art and say "yup, this is supposed to be just as much about pure sex appeal and nothing else" as with Olivia's? Sexualization isn't just a function of skin shown.

Well, that's sort of the thing. I disagree that Olivia's art is purely about sex appeal. I mean, yes, it's there. That's undeniable. But the picture and the pose have a certain elegance and grace which is attractive on a purely aesthetic (and non-sexual) level.

Edited by Onestep

Well, that's sort of the thing. I disagree that Olivia's art is purely abour sex appeal. I mean, yes, it's there. That's undeniable. But the picture and the pose have a certain elegance and grace which is attractive on a purely aesthetic (and non-sexual_ level.

Well I guess if that's your opinion then her art is basically fine in your view. It's certainly a better opinion to have than "I see nothing wrong with her art being nothing but sex appeal"

Well I guess if that's your opinion then her art is basically fine in your view. It's certainly a better opinion to have than "I see nothing wrong with her art being nothing but sex appeal"

Yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I can see where you're coming from, but my opinion differs a fair bit from yours. Which is fine, as appreciation of art/drawings of any kind tends to be quite subjective.

I don't really feel Olivia is any more sexualized than Tethys at the very least. The outfit is somewhat strange in design, though. I think the bodysuit with stockings is weird but there is nothing wrong with the pose, as dancers in the series are supposed to be alluring. Serge's outfit bothers me more because I can't figure out if it's a dress or pants with a cut away. But the designer is most well known for illustrating No More Heroes...

In reference to Sariya's profile page, I think I quite like her name as 'Sallya' instead. And having looked through the past ones, I think 'Wyck' is a much better name than 'Vake'.

Oh, and I like all the art. Sure, it makes no sense to have an open back in the middle of a battle, buy why should we actually care? Rule of cool. And I see Olivia's pose as graceful rather than sexual. That said, dancers are supposed to be sexually attractive anyway - they invigorate allies, and I don't think they do it with magic.