[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Hello

Do Rya and Christoph join even if they die in first the chapter ?

Hi

No, they don't.

I'm playing this hack on my NDS by the Supercard Dstwo. It worked.

I also test it on the GBA emulator for Android and iOS

Good to know!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a minor glitch while playing on the GBA:

I went to buy some stuff on Ide and saved (world map, before the stealth mission) and, most of the time, when I move to other locations the music stops (it stops when the screen follows the character as she moves) the music comes back when the Stealth Mission chapter cutscene starts.

Edited by AndreGon

Found a bug.

In the Justified Massacre map I sent Djambo to the village on the left, so I could recruit Sae'ra.

When Djambo got to her she couldn't be recruited. I just got the normal dialogue as if Djambo never went to the village.

I turned off my GBA and resumed between the two events, don't know if that was the cause, I also sent Schwarz to visit both villages and sent Menmus to get the ruby at the waterfall before talking to Sae'ra.

Edited by AndreGon

The catch and fatigue systems from Fire emblem Tracia 776 would be amazing and would balance your items with the enemy's items (so that the enemy doesn't have like, 20mt weapons while you have like 4mt ones)but it would be very hard to incorporate wouldn't it?

What a great hack!

I don't know what to say, except that knowing that monster magic in the original game wasn't potrayed as a physic thing because it wasn't (even if it had weight which was only for gameplay purposes) personally it bugs me that mogalls now use actual tomes. I though they were still using their own abilities until I saw the vacuannox shamans, the droppable circulum and then the thunder-wielding mogalls. I mean, but how does that work???? ??????????????? ??????????????????????

ZlzV9gi.png

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What a great hack!

I don't know what to say, except that knowing that monster magic in the original game wasn't potrayed as a physic thing because it wasn't (even if it had weight which was only for gameplay purposes) personally it bugs me that mogalls now use actual tomes. I though they were still using their own abilities until I saw the vacuannox shamans, the droppable circulum and then the thunder-wielding mogalls. I mean, but how does that work???? ??????????????? ??????????????????????

ZlzV9gi.png

I assume they just have the spells "pre-programmed" into them. Whereas humans need to read from a tome, they instinctively know the incantations.

What a great hack!

ZlzV9gi.png

AHAHAHAHAHAAH

Man, that one is glorious!

Props to you for doing that!

Anyway, uh... you can see it as @SilverHairedFreak said, I guess.

Even if, to be perfectly honest, the moment I gave them the ability to use books I had in mind something similar to your drawing.

...Or in the next update Alfred will have modified the sprites so we can see little spellbooks clutched in their tentacles...

It'd be awesome, ahahah! Too much work, though.

...Also, don't call them tentacles, Ashley! T-This can't lead to anything good... gulp.

Also, is there any music you'd like to see in the game?

Format your entry like this:

Song name - Game of reference - When it could play

*link to a MIDI file* (hey, it *must* be a MIDI to be insertable!)

Ex. House Theme - The Legend of Zelda - When you visit a house (duh)

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Maison_XylophoneRemix.mid

...Oh wow, I actually like this arranged version better than the one I actually inserted, hahaha

This is just to see what kind of music people like in FE games, actually. I doubt I'll insert any suggestions for real, but heh, you may never know.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

This is random, but I just remembered FE8 didn't use weather at all and that makes me mad.idk if weather is actually even a good thing but yes

Considering all weather did in the GBA games was reduce movement for a few turns at a time, I think it's for the best.

This is just to see what kind of music people like in FE games, actually. I doubt I'll insert any suggestions for real, but heh, you may never know.

Well, if you're listening to suggestions, With Mila's divine protection would be FUCKING AMAZING kewl but I don't think there's gba style midi for it.

Considering all weather did in the GBA games was reduce movement for a few turns at a time, I think it's for the best.

Isn't it possible to remove the movement reductions via Nightmare though? Sure, you have to do it for every class individually, but it can help you add fitting rain for that sad map without hindering gameplay.

Well, if you're listening to suggestions, With Mila's divine protection would be FUCKING AMAZING kewl but I don't think there's gba style midi for it.

It's in the Last Promise, so there must be a midi of it somewhere.

As for tracks I'd like to see, there's "Unsealed" from Tactics Ogre. Starts out really creepy, then shifts to something that embodies an eldritch abomination on the attack. I've got a midi version I've reduced to eight tracks but never tested; I'll see if it works in FE7 then link the file (and original) for a gander.

Other tracks? I'll have to think of some.

This is random, but I just remembered FE8 didn't use weather at all and that makes me mad.

idk if weather is actually even a good thing but yes

Hmh, I think I'll have a map with a sandstorm and another one with a snow tempest, so yeah!

Now, now, isn't THIS hilarious?

Isn't it possible to remove the movement reductions via Nightmare though? Sure, you have to do it for every class individually, but it can help you add fitting rain for that sad map without hindering gameplay.

It's in the Last Promise, so there must be a midi of it somewhere.

As for tracks I'd like to see, there's "Unsealed" from Tactics Ogre. Starts out really creepy, then shifts to something that embodies an eldritch abomination on the attack. I've got a midi version I've reduced to eight tracks but never tested; I'll see if it works in FE7 then link the file (and original) for a gander.

Other tracks? I'll have to think of some.

About the movement reduction, that's too much work for something like this I suppose. I just have to make the gameplay fun even with the movement penalty. Some good examples of "fun desert chapters" could be found in Kitty of Time's previous hack, League of Champs.

...was it League of Champs? The title of his topic always had everything but the name of the hack.

Whoo! Let me know about that MIDI you were talking about! I'm really curious about it now.

AHAHAHAHAHAAH

Man, that one is glorious!

Props to you for doing that!

Anyway, uh... you can see it as @SilverHairedFreak said, I guess.

Even if, to be perfectly honest, the moment I gave them the ability to use books I had in mind something similar to your drawing.

Also, is there any music you'd like to see in the game?

Format your entry like this:

Song name - Game of reference - When it could play

*link to a MIDI file* (hey, it *must* be a MIDI to be insertable!)

Ex. House Theme - The Legend of Zelda - When you visit a house (duh)

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Maison_XylophoneRemix.mid

...Oh wow, I actually like this arranged version better than the one I actually inserted, hahaha

Well, thanks! ^-^

That doesn't quite explain the droppable tomes though

And as for music? Ohhhhhhhhh, I know

That Which Awaits At The End - Arc Rise Fantasia - Pre-battle (or whatever I'm supposed to call everything that happens between after the preparations and before the player phase starts) or maybe even map music, for some of the last few chapters

http://www.megafileupload.com/Omg/Arc_Rise_Fantsia_OST_-__That_Which_Waits_at_the_End_.mid

It really achieves the purpose it was given in its game; to tell you that you're nearing the end but that the rest of the path will still be though (GODDAMMIT GENERAL OLD MAN STOP ONE-HITTING AND TAKING NEAR DEATH MY PARTY WITH YOUR AREA-OF-EFFECT BULLSHIT) and it also amplifies quite a bit of the tension as you walk through one of the last few areas of the game, not knowing what awaits at the end after you've gathered the Plot Coupons That Happen to Have a Gameplay Use. Now, as for whether it'd fit so well in a Fire Emblem game, dunno.

Edit: Seriously, that game's english voice acting is lolawful but

the soundtrack

https://youtu.be/2zekRTh8Whk(this one could easily fit as casual village music btw)

specially the boss battle music, it's so AKJDKJSDKHFJHSSGDHG

Edited by TheDarkDress

Well, thanks! ^-^

That doesn't quite explain the droppable tomes though

And as for music? Ohhhhhhhhh, I know

That Which Awaits At The End - Arc Rise Fantasia - Pre-battle (or whatever I'm supposed to call everything that happens between after the preparations and before the player phase starts) or maybe even map music, for some of the last few chapters

http://www.megafileupload.com/Omg/Arc_Rise_Fantsia_OST_-__That_Which_Waits_at_the_End_.mid

It really achieves the purpose it was given in its game; to tell you that you're nearing the end but that the rest of the path will still be though (GODDAMMIT GENERAL OLD MAN STOP ONE-HITTING AND TAKING NEAR DEATH MY PARTY WITH YOUR AREA-OF-EFFECT BULLSHIT) and it also amplifies quite a bit of the tension as you walk through one of the last few areas of the game, not knowing what awaits at the end after you've gathered the Plot Coupons That Happen to Have a Gameplay Use. Now, as for whether it'd fit so well in a Fire Emblem game, dunno.

Edit: Seriously, that game's english voice acting is lolawful but

the soundtrack

https://youtu.be/2zekRTh8Whk(this one could easily fit as casual village music btw)

specially the boss battle music, it's so AKJDKJSDKHFJHSSGDHG

That sounds sooooo cool!

Anyway, it seems I can't access the download of the MIDI you provided. Try a different upload site, maybe?

Why yes, yes it is. Sorry, I haven't noticed it for some reason XD

Well, it WAS in the alpha version (Sunpath of Midnight) but I removed it in Midnight Sun. Why, you ask? I wanted a completely non-FE soundtrack.

It's only now that I realize how long this has been in development. Good God, Hellios's portrait looked like shit. You've come a long way.

Hell yeah!

Also why is it Fan Projects now? ROM Hacking sounded better imo ;_;

Edited by Alfred Kamon

While, I still plan on putting this in my hack as the main theme, I would love seeing the syphon filter theme in midnight sun.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/Syphon_Filter_2_Title_DW.mid

Its my favorite video game title theme, and I feel it would fit well with midnight sun

Who knows why they changed it Alfred, romhacking does sound better

Edit: for some reason, the midi will only download if you hit save link in case you have trouble downloading it, if just clicking it works for you, ignore this

Edited by MCProductions

Well, it WAS in the alpha version (Sunpath of Midnight) but I removed it in Midnight Sun. Why, you ask? I wanted a completely non-FE soundtrack.

Oh, ok then. But you might reconsider having it again because it's pretty kewl. Do whatever you want though ;)

Hmh, I think I'll have a map with a sandstorm and another one with a snow tempest, so yeah!

About the movement reduction, that's too much work for something like this I suppose. I just have to make the gameplay fun even with the movement penalty. Some good examples of "fun desert chapters" could be found in Kitty of Time's previous hack, League of Champs.

...was it League of Champs? The title of his topic always had everything but the name of the hack.

Whoo! Let me know about that MIDI you were talking about! I'm really curious about it now.

So weather effects are possible in FE8 then? I wonder why it never showed up in vanilla FE8 then?

Anyway, I've got the track tested and such, and it works quite well (in FE7). Here it is, along with a couple of others.

https://www.mediafire.com/?gs3cgzs3lliveml

Tracks:

Unsealed (Tactics Ogre)

Sylph (Tales of Phantasia)

You Will Know Our Names! (Xenoblade)

Each one has the original midi, and my edited type 0 midi that is ready for insertion via Sappy (looping properly).

...Come to think of it, I forgot to truncate the edited You Will Know Our Names midi - if you do like it, just pick a point a little after the ] cue and truncate from there to the end of the song. Although that one was 8 tracks to begin with, all I did was insert the loop markers.

There's plenty of other tracks I could suggest, but I think I'll stop there.