[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alfred, mah boy, you are insane and we love you thus you get all the moral support I can send via a forum post, don't forget to take your time~

Edited by Jariu

This is where I'd donate, BUT that has my real name attached to it. Instead, you'll have to settle on me cheering for you in the background.

Now, if there was a way I could throw money at you, without revealing who I am IRL. . .lemme know. :P:

that sucks, Eclipse... Nobody should have to deal with those kinds of invasion of privacy and personal endangerment. :(

I would say regardless of their personal reasons anyone who wants it should be allowed to maintain their anonymity on the internet... One thing that bugs me about Facebook, and Facebook linked discussions really. :|

/offtopicrantover

Yeah, so once again... Very exciting to see this announcement, looking forward to the final patch. It's been a very enjoyable ride playing, discussing, and trying to assist this project. ;)

One tiny question: Once the Final release is out, hard mode tweaks are along that release? because I got a save slot on hard mode (it was a bitch, but sometimes was fair) and I really don't want to lose it on the transition (I got a blessed cattleya)

Edited by ronlyn

This is where I'd donate, BUT that has my real name attached to it. Instead, you'll have to settle on me cheering for you in the background.

Now, if there was a way I could throw money at you, without revealing who I am IRL. . .lemme know. :P:

If it makes you feel amused, when I donated to Yeti I saw his real name too :P

If it makes you feel amused, when I donated to Yeti I saw his real name too :P

Do tell, do tell.

I'm glad no one online knows my real name, not even Paypal..

Looking forward to seeing this complete, not many hacks reach the final stage and especially not those that are more of an overhaul than just a re-skin or a community project.

Keep at it.

THANK YOU so much for all the support and love, guys! ^^
This definitely gives me the charge to work on it at my best and deliver the hack of my (our?) dreams.

One tiny question: Once the Final release is out, hard mode tweaks are along that release? because I got a save slot on hard mode (it was a bitch, but sometimes was fair) and I really don't want to lose it on the transition (I got a blessed cattleya)

I'm so sorry, but the final release won't support older savefiles or savestates. Unfortunately, I had to tweak the class system and the patch I used had this problem with the saves.

So, you'll have to play through the first 8 chapters again...

But please note that:

1) They've been all tweaked and improved, both gameplay and dialogue-wise.

2) I'll provide a save that will allow you to skip the first 8 chapters if you don't want to play them anymore-- the characters will have average levels and stats.

***Balanced difficult mode, skills patch, and a few levels of the ruins/tower as well as extra content may be available in a later date. But in that case, your saves/ savestates WILL be compatible, don't worry.

Supports will be included though.

Many characters will be able to marry each other and get special items this way. A few homosexual marriages are included.

I believe no savefiles will be transferable... UNless you got your own hacking skills to do so. You might have to start over from scratch.

^ yeah...

VERY uncommon name. . .and I may have had problems with stalkers in the past. . .

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. I'm not that kind of person that stalks / harasses other people online, and I don't have any reason to share your personal information, but I can understand and respect your position. I'd suggest to create a momentary Paypal account with a fake name, transfer the amount you want to donate there, and then make the donation from that account.

Otherwise, it's cool. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, and I don't beg for donations either~

The hack will be 16 chapters long, with the route split between chapters 9 and 14, and at least 10 extra maps between Tower and Ruins. Those will also contain more story elements, so they'll be similar to replayable story chapters (with a feaw tweaks when you replay them).

If you have any questions about the winter release, feel free to ask!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I just want to say thanks Alfred.I have been following this since I saw MarkyJoe play it, and I have to say, I really loved it.I love what you have done with the whole thing and I can't wait to see the finished project.

So yeah, thanks and congrats.

VERY uncommon name. . .and I may have had problems with stalkers in the past. . .

Sorry to hear this, Eclipse. Really.

I'm playing this by yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed, so thanks. The only three complain I have is that in the chapter when Faratrass struggles with Foomortis and escapes in the forest, their last dialogue before the game over implies she sealed again him. And then, she get possessed. Why?

And Hellios is OP.

Ah, inoltre, essendo entrambi italiani, io so che tu sai che il nome di Puledra è la cosa più stupida mai esistita.

Edited by ENS

I just want to say thanks Alfred.I have been following this since I saw MarkyJoe play it, and I have to say, I really loved it.I love what you have done with the whole thing and I can't wait to see the finished project.

So yeah, thanks and congrats.

Thank you for the kind words! ^^

Sorry to hear this, Eclipse. Really.

I'm playing this by yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed, so thanks. The only three complain I have is that in the chapter when Faratrass struggles with Foomortis and escapes in the forest, their last dialogue before the game over implies she sealed again him. And then, she get possessed. Why?

And Hellios is OP.

Ah, inoltre, essendo entrambi italiani, io so che tu sai che il nome di Puledra è la cosa più stupida mai esistita.

That problem has been addressed and fixed already.

Now she just dies of blood loss instead of being possessed again if you don't reach her in time.

That is also represented graphically with 1 HP and permanent stat losses (she'll regain her previous stats at the end of ch. 5).

Hellios is OP for a reason.

Shhhh non svelare il mio segreto! Puledra deve rimanere un uomo rispettabile.

Thank you for the kind words! ^^

That problem has been addressed and fixed already.

Now she just dies of blood loss instead of being possessed again if you don't reach her in time.

That is also represented graphically with 1 HP and permanent stat losses (she'll regain her previous stats at the end of ch. 5).

Hellios is OP for a reason.

Shhhh non svelare il mio segreto! Puledra deve rimanere un uomo rispettabile.

Very smart idea.

Hellios is the final boss, right? XD

Beh, per mantenere segreta questa vitale informazione chiedere gentilmente non basterà. Quanto sei disposto a pagare?

Edited by ENS

Hi there Alfred! Just created this account to thank you for creating this hack. I think Midnight Sun is what FE8 could have been if the latter had taken more advantage of its setting (mainly the Demon King). Back when I first finished Sacred Stones I couldn't help but think how much more interesting the game would have been if it had been told

from Lyon's point of view. I wonder if that off-hand mention of the Lazulian prince being possessed was a reference to the Lyon in a parallel universe...

I thought the map design and pacing in general was very good, though I felt the last chapter was surprisingly on the easy side. It's probably due to the lack of urgency to push forward, so maybe this can be fixed in a later patch?

Most of the soundtrack was refreshing to listen to. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the post-battle screen music from Trails in the Sky make the cut; have you played that game before?

Not going to comment on the story and characters since this hack is only halfway done, but it's safe to say you've got one guy hooked here :) I just wonder if there's any plot justification for Fa's Hector-like defense stat; IIRC in FE7 Hector's heavy armor was mentioned in both main story and support dialogue.

Again, thank you for all your hard work and please take your time with the rest of the hack. Thumbs up!

Everyone: You guys are the best. Thanks!

16 chapters? Aren't the Ruins unlocked on the map after Chapter 19? Unless you've found a way around those pesky world map limitations!

EDIT: Since I do NOT want to set up another Paypal account. . .uh, have the blessings of a mod? I really wanna see what you've done with this!

Edited by eclipse