Shattered Honour Chapter Two (Randel route)

Parrhesia

Sofia sighs. You note she's still got her sword drawn, but she doesn't appear to have any real desire to do anything with it... a last gesture of defiance, but she knows she's beaten. "I don't know much about it, and that's the truth. All I know is we were told there'd be maybe six or seven young, inexperienced and unprepared guys coming out here, and we could easily swarm them and take their bounties, just as long as we left the rest alone. Seemed like easy money... of course, things didn't exactly go to plan."

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fighting was over? Jordan wasn't about to believe that. He loaded another bolt onto his crossbow and ran up to Cedric, aiming the weapon at the woman's head. "You're damn right that didn't go the way you planned! So what, we're just supposed to let you both walk away after trying to kill us?! Give me one good reason to believe you won't try to stalk us and stab us in the back if we do?" He was breathing heavy, and his adrenaline had started flowing after his first real fight. "Maybe you're not even telling us everything you know! You could be lying just to save your filthy hides! Well? Hurry up! Give me an answer!"

Evans shrugs. "You won't know. There's no way we can convince you. You could take our weapons, and leave us defenceless in these woods... but why would we pick a fight with you? We saw what you did to the rest of us."

Did Jordan actually plan on killing this woman? No, she'd surrendered to them, that's not how things were supposed to go! You don't just kill people that are weaker than you because you can, that would make them no better than bandits! Picking his sword back up quickly Cedric placed it between the older man and their (former?) enemy "That's enough Jordan! She's surrendered to us so there's no reason to kill her! I can't let you harm someone that's not going to fight us any more just because you feel like it!" Was Cedric being a white knight at the moment? Oh hell yes he was..

"Look Ms..... whatever you have to tell us the whole story! Who was the person that told you about us?"

"Just a higher-up, but he said he had an inside man at the camp you have around here... yeah, we know it exists, and we could take it too. It's just a bitch to get all the lads together. Anyway, we'd lose too many people trying to kill you, it just wouldn't be worth the danger for an individual mercenary. And, I mean, they could order it, but when a leader throws it weight around too much, well..." Sofia makes a terse throat-slitting gesture.

"That's enough Jordan! She's surrendered to us so there's no reason to kill her! I can't let you harm someone that's not going to fight us any more just because you feel like it!"

"Oh shut up you idealist, this is war! You seemed content killing those other men, what's wrong, can't kill a woman? Can't kill someone who's surrendered? Pft. That sure didn't stop those Othidians from killing everyone, did it? If I have to sink to their level to survive then I will..." He lowered his crossbow and took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. "Someone go take their weapons, I refuse to trust people who decided to attack us for a bag of gold. You seem to have this under control... Cedric, was it? Have fun." He took a step back and proceeded to make his way back to where he was, near the prisoners. He kept his crossbow loaded, just in case.

Edited by seph1212

So Jordan was backing off, that was good. Maybe things could calm down a bit now, though the brown haired boy wished someone else would be backing him up on talking. "Why is the kid doing this...?" He murmured to himself. Anyways, tired of holding the rather large sword in his hand Cedric adjusted his grip to a reverse before stabbing it into the ground, just enough to hold. Cedric really didn't want to be a leader not at his age anyways, but for the moment he seemed to be doing fine.

"If you know the identity of the person that's at the camp I'd really appreciate it but.... look I won't let my companions kill you if I can stop it, I don't think that's right. But at the same time I don't think we can let you go either, so I think you two might have to come with us for a while..."

With the fighting over, Varon set about patching up Jack and Jacob (EDIT: and Leonhard, didn't intentionally forget about him) to the best of his ability without having to worry about getting stabbed. He internally sighed with relief and frustration. "Didn't have to hurt anyone, and that's good, but I really need to set fire to something soon," he thought to himself.

Edited by Blasied

Henry looked up. "Yes, brilliant! Attach the two foul-smelling, desperate mercenaries to the rest of us. ... Look, are you sure you don't trust me enough to let me go unchained? I'll even fight beside you! It's in both our interests that you don't die here... I can't say I fancy being killed by an ignorant manhunter. Ransom is FAR more dignified."

"Quiet, fool. Do you really think we'll let some Othidian fight along with us? You'd try to kill us before they would." He sneered at Henry, before looking back over at Cedric. "If they come along, they're your responsibility! I'd much rather we kill them or let them run along, but you seem attached to them." He wished that someone else would speak up. It would be at least entertaining if Jack tried to flirt with the two mercs.

Jack stood up after having been patched up by Varon and strolled up to Cedric and the mercs who had surrendered, albeit with a bit of a limp. "Ah, I see that you have decided to do the smart thing and stop attacking. Cedric, what have they told us so far? Good work stopping Jordan from killing them by the way. Oh, and don't listen to the prisoners by the way. We're not going to risk arming them unless we really need to. Now then. What was this lovely lady telling us?" He grinned at Sofia and extended a hand. "The name's Jack. And who might you be?"

Sofia hesitates for a moment, then reluctantly returns the handshake. "My name's Sofia. This is Evans. We've not been doing this long, just... less than two years. I still have a husband and child at home, in Caril. It's a living in these harsh times."

Evans nods. "Look, I swear I don't know anything about the inside man. I think he was a higher-up, though... had some influence about who was going and staying."

"Iiinteresting. Well, doesn't matter. Our goal to reach Lord Randel remains the same even if Chisford is the one who told you people about us. Thank you very much for the information. Now. Men. And lady. Thoughts on what we should do with these new prisoners?"

Cedric filled Jack in on what all the two survivors of the group had told him so far, incredibly relieved that at least someone seemed willing to back him up, even if it was the guy that wanted to bone everything that moves... "My name is Cedric, but that was kind of obvious from what he said. I'll believe you about not knowing anything else, not everyone has the knowledge from the top guys. Suppose you two will be coming with us for a while, at least until we get to where we're going. Then you should be free to go, sound fair?"

"Suppose you two will be coming with us for a while, at least until we get to where we're going. Then you should be free to go, sound fair?"

Sofia shrugs. "It's as good an offer as we're likely to ge-"

"You have a husband? And a home?" asked Lena, suddenly seeming a bit more livid as she took a step closer. "Would... Would you mind telling me about them a bit?"

"... Actually, I would. Who the fuck is the crazy ranga and does she do this to everyone she meets?"

"My name is Lena, and no, I don't. I only do it to the ones whom I think are worth more than a hill of beans. If you have a family, you have people who will miss you if you die, which is something... Bah. Nevermind."

Jacob fell to the ground as the final shot from their enemies struck him. He was too far away to hear most of the current conversation, and could do nothing but wait for whatever comes next.

As Varon begins patching his wounds, he looks up at the man, and after a moment, decides to speak to him.

"I must thank you for taking the time to treat my wounds. Any more of that and I'd be doomed for sure."

He closes his eyes for a while.

"What happened with the others? I heard something about... surrendering? Are we really that badly outnumbered?"

"It's nice to see that my work is appreciated. And no, we're not outnumbered. They're outmatched and surrendering to us," Varon said as he applied Jacob's last bandage. He then picked up his bag and moved to treat Leonhard's gashes.

Jacob sighs. He begins speaking, but mostly to himself.

"We won. It seems we all made it out alive, as well. I wonder how long our luck will hold out..."

Moving slowly, hoping to keep his newly mended wounds from reopening, he gets up and walks closer to the other members of the party, hoping to find out more information.

(As a note, I'll be away for possibly the next couple days, probably not quite as long. Talk amongst yourselves, but try not to involve your prisoners too much.)