So who's worse, Magickarp or Feebas?

Gold Vanguard

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who's worse

• Magickarp
    • Feebas

Magikarp has a worse movepool, and has to be leveled up to evolve. Feebas has decent TMs, Eggs, and Tutors, and can be evolved as soon as you catch him. Also, adaptability is better than rattled.

Karp FTL.

Okay, seriously, how am I the only one to vote Karp? Feebas can have Toxic, Hypnosis, Protect, and Substitute. Combine that with Swift Swim, he can be useful outspeeding an opponent, putting them to sleep, and starting to rape with Protect, Substitute, and Toxic. Stick a Leftovers on him and he'll be just fine.

Karp has Tackle, Splash, Flail, and Bounce. I guess you can get lucky with parahax.

Edited by Ring Wraith

Feebas. Easily.

Not only is this thing an absolute nightmare to try and catch (WHAT THE HELL POKEMON COMPANY, WHAT THE HELL), but its evolution requirement is moronic. They were trying to promote the contest system as much as possible, which very few people actually cared about. The collection and battle parts are why people enjoy Pokemon and why it is so addicting, not the contests/musical/whatever (also those have rules made of stupid and arbitrary).

What can Feebas do that Magikarp can't? Well... egg moves, I guess. But why would you? Milotic is a tank, yes, but it is outclassed by the slew of bulky water types that simply do its job *better.* Its ability is not even that great, it requires a negative status to function properly. And what is its competition?

The giant water snake of death known as Gyarados. I am not exaggerating, Gyarados has been consistently in the Overused tier for Smogon since gen 2 when it was given an actual movepool. The thing has phenomenal stats and distribution so it functions as either a raw physical attacker, set up, or tank. It has Intimidate as well, so it can neuter physical attackers easily. Its movepool after Gen 1 and in some ways after Gen 2 allows it to fulfill almost any role (except special sweeper) so you need to examine its team composition to figure out what the water snake's build is. Milotic is always tanky and is out-performed. Gyarados kept pace with the absurd power creep that is Gen 5. Enough said.

If this is strictly Magikarp v Feebas... well, Magikarp can't learn any other moves while Feebas has a movepool. Still, why bother with the unevolved forms? They're not even useful for Little cup.

If it's the evolution line, I'd definitely vote Magikarp for Gyarados' power, but Feebas is definitely better than Magikarp. I don't know why people are complaining about the difficulty of evolving him, a Prism Scale is fairly easy to find in Black/White, and then you just need to find somebody on the internet to trade with you because you're too afraid to admit you love pokemon IRL.

Feebas can actually get STAB. Magikarp can't.

Once you've gotten a single Feebas, getting more is easy. Plus you can evolve them in a single level, as opposed to Magikarp's multiple levels.

Feebas can actually get STAB. Magikarp can't.

Once you've gotten a single Feebas, getting more is easy. Plus you can evolve them in a single level, as opposed to Magikarp's multiple levels.

And on that note, Platinum made evolving Feebas easy.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that Feebas is worse than Magikarp. The first strike against Feebas is how absurdly difficult it is to find one. While you can catch Magikarp pretty much everywhere with that dinky old rod, Feebas is only found on six randomly generated tiles on possibly the longest fucking river in Hoenn. It is even worse in Sinnoh, where it's reduced to FOUR tiles and the tiles re-randomize daily! At least it's decently easy to find in Unova, but goddamn.

Another thing that pisses the shit out of me is that you need to get Feebas's beauty capped(or at least 170)to evolve, while Magikarp only needs to reach Lv20 to evolve. Can you imagine how annoying that is? You have to make a shitton of blue Pokeblocks(Poffins are an even bigger bitch to make, but the same rule applies in DPPt) to evolve your fish, and what makes this worse is that they need to be of high quality or else you won't reach the 170 Beauty req needed to evolve. If that happens, you've fucked up and you gotta start all over. Thank god they changed it to a trade evo in Gen 5.

If we are talking about metagame shifts, I will admit that it is biased towards Gyarados. While Gyara HAS been UU before, that was in generation 2 when it lost 40 points off its special attack and it had no good physical movepool(seriously, Gyara's physical movepool consisted of Return and Hidden Power back then). Every generation since has steadily improved Gyarados(Gen 3 gave it Dragon Dance and Earthquake, Gen 4 gave it proper Water STAB and later on Flying STAB, and Gen 5 gave it Moxie), while Milotic was only really good in Gen 3. What I mean is that while it could tank Gen 3 sweepers no problem, the power creep that seeped in over the generational shifts really did a number on Milotic's usage, and it fell out of OU midway through Gen IV. Marvel Scale is a cool ability on paper, but the requirement to get that boost is actually detrimental; Milotic doesn't care about paralysis, but sleep/freeze make you dead weight regardless and poison/burn eat away at your HP(something that doesn't bother Guts users), forcing you to Recover more often.

If this is strictly fish vs fish, Feebas actually has something resembling a movepool(including egg moves), while Magikarp has all of 4 moves. Why bother with them anyway? They both suck elephant balls.

Edited by James the Hero

I'm going to go on a limb and say that Feebas is worse than Magikarp. The first strike against Feebas is how absurdly difficult it is to find one. While you can catch Magikarp pretty much everywhere with that dinky old rod, Feebas is only found on six randomly generated tiles on possibly the longest fucking river in Hoenn. It is even worse in Sinnoh, where it's reduced to FOUR tiles and the tiles re-randomize daily! At least it's decently easy to find in Unova, but goddamn.

Another thing that pisses the shit out of me is that you need to get Feebas's beauty capped(or at least 170)to evolve, while Magikarp only needs to reach Lv20 to evolve. Can you imagine how annoying that is? You have to make a shitton of blue Pokeblocks(Poffins are an even bigger bitch to make, but the same rule applies in DPPt) to evolve your fish, and what makes this worse is that they need to be of high quality or else you won't reach the 170 Beauty req needed to evolve. If that happens, you've fucked up and you gotta start all over. Thank god they changed it to a trade evo in Gen 5.

If we are talking about metagame shifts, I will admit that it is biased towards Gyarados. While Gyara HAS been UU before, that was in generation 2 when it lost 40 points off its special attack and it had no good physical movepool(seriously, Gyara's physical movepool consisted of Return and Hidden Power back then). Every generation since has steadily improved Gyarados(Gen 3 gave it Dragon Dance and Earthquake, Gen 4 gave it proper Water STAB and later on Flying STAB, and Gen 5 gave it Moxie), while Milotic was only really good in Gen 3. What I mean is that while it could tank Gen 3 sweepers no problem, the power creep that seeped in over the generational shifts really did a number on Milotic's usage, and it fell out of OU midway through Gen IV. Marvel Scale is a cool ability on paper, but the requirement to get that boost is actually detrimental; Milotic doesn't care about paralysis, but sleep/freeze make you dead weight regardless and poison/burn eat away at your HP(something that doesn't bother Guts users), forcing you to Recover more often.

If this is strictly fish vs fish, Feebas actually has something resembling a movepool(including egg moves), while Magikarp has all of 4 moves. Why bother with them anyway? They both suck elephant balls.

To be fair, though, you have to admit, Platinum made it easy to evolve Feebas, since you could just buy Poffins.

If we discounted evolutions, Feebas is obviously better than Magikarp but significantly harder to find, though the GTS makes difficulty of attainment moot. Magikarp is nearly the epitome of useless, whereas Feebas can sort of do something with a movepool that exists. However, I did take evolution into account when I voted and even gen 5's more standard method of evolution is still more annoying than simply leveling up a Magikarp. Milotic is good but Gyarados is better, and takes so much less effort to use effectively.

In short

Unevolved: Feebas > Magikarp

Evolved: Feebas < Magikarp

I'm used to Magikarp, but I've only played gen III once and I didn't even know where Feebas was. But it's always easy to figure out where to find magikarp. And aside from the fact that I think Gyrados is great (I don't play multiplayer though), I just like gyrados a lot as a pokemon, I think it's cool, but I think Milotic is kinda stupid.

Without evolution, I still like Magikarp more, Feebas is lovable but Magikarp is a timeless classic.

what's a magickarp

Magikarp hacked with magic guard as its ability.

How hard Feebas is to find is irrelevant. The point is that Feebas is more useful than Karp, if for nothing more than an HM slave.

If being useful is relevant, than why is being hard to find irrelevant? Being harder to find makes things less useful - simple as that. And I don't see how Feebas's HM coverage makes it any more useful, since coverage of water HMs isn't exactly hard to come by.

Magikarp is so useless people try to sell it as feebas.

Feebas is much better in terms of movepool and ability. Evolution is another thing but i'd still prefer milotic because she can be a great tank. Feebas is a bitch to catch but if you want to get a feebas its fairly easy to just catch a boxful and then breed them once you find the magic spot. (It didn't take me an hour in Pt to find it so i might be a little biased but eh :P).

Edited by SlayerX