I lost faith in FE

Junkhead

Whoever made that image clearly has never rode a horse. Pants are generally accepted as a necessary thing for riding a horse astride without being horrifically uncomfortable if not painful; bare skin and saddle leather are a nasty combination. (Obviously prior FEs have also been offenders on that front, but none have been quite so stupid as this and then in 9 and 10 they finally started to have pants). Heels like that also aren't gonna play well with stirrups, a low heel is useful but something shaped like that is just bad.

If you're gonna argue practicality, get someone who actually has any idea what they're doing to do it.

Really I'm less concerned with practicality though, because previously FE had been pretty equal-opportunity silly on that front. (Formfitting armor. On nearly everyone. Pfha. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that shit's always been silly) And a lot of the male designs in 13 are still pretty ridiculous in that regard. They're just ridiculous in what are pretty clearly attempts to be cool/intimidating, not sexy.

Suppose the same thing were done for the same number of male characters as there were female characters affected. We're talking skimpy armor, skeleton-twisty poses to show off the goods, idealized to be attractive to heterosexual women first and to show any other attributes second. How many people would be refusing to buy the game then, because they didn't want to look at that shit? And how many people would consider that to be a completely reasonable thing?

Obviously there's no way in hell that's going to happen, because regardless of the actual numbers in the playerbase, IS is going to cater to the straight male demographic. But considering the reaction it would get, how is it so unreasonable for some people to react negatively when it's done to female characters?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think she looks as bad as you described, but I can understand why some people would think that way. To me it's just a piece of fictional art/design, so as wrong as it might be (as you described in your post which I agree with), I'm not bothered by it.

Then again I'm not bothered or fazed by many things.

While you have a point. The implications...they are unfortunate. I mean, Nono is wearing something quite revealing and those garder belts are umm...thats very much a fetish for a lot of people. I dont think id mind if she were of the dancer class. Hence why that one girl's arse doesnt bug me much. But yeah...

So, how would you describe her facial expression then?

Anime girl going "omfg im gonna fuck your shit up with this here spear!"

Maybe its just me but i find this character's design hella sexier than those who reveal a great of skin. :KnollRoll:

My sister, if I recall, used the words "anime girl attacking face".

This is what I was imagining~

And that's why we're soul sisteeeerrrrrsssss

Oh and apparently Florina as well~

Edited by Freohr Datia

Suppose the same thing were done for the same number of male characters as there were female characters affected. We're talking skimpy armor, skeleton-twisty poses to show off the goods, idealized to be attractive to heterosexual women first and to show any other attributes second. How many people would be refusing to buy the game then, because they didn't want to look at that shit? And how many people would consider that to be a completely reasonable thing?

Obviously there's no way in hell that's going to happen, because regardless of the actual numbers in the playerbase, IS is going to cater to the straight male demographic. But considering the reaction it would get, how is it so unreasonable for some people to react negatively when it's done to female characters?

This post is very spot on. I mean, just look at the amount of people who started to hate Sothe in FE10 because of the bellyshirt. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

But with that said: I don't like the FE13 artwork because I don't like the generic anime style it uses. The oversexualization of females is a consequence of "generic anime style" but it doesn't bother me in itself. I don't really like the not sexualized artwork either (like the Viole artwork Florina just posted - I actually think it's sillier than Olivia's). And it's not like I'm losing faith in FE or anything - as long as the storyline doesn't feel like a generic anime too, and the gameplay is good, I can get over shitty portraits and artwork. Except DLC Micaiah's. That one is terrible.

At least i know which My Unit design i will choose for my runs through the game. I really like this design. A lot. So not all of the art is terribad for this game. Just some...more fanservicey stuff.

I would use that if it weren't for the bangs~

Idk why really but I really just don't like bangs styled like that x3

I would use that if it weren't for the bangs~

Idk why really but I really just don't like bangs styled like that x3

Hehe.

Her post and expression are pretty great. Shes all "bitches, im the player unit. Deal with it.

. I don't really like the not sexualized artwork either (like the Viole artwork Florina just posted - I actually think it's sillier than Olivia's).

Really? Huh. I liked it because its showing that a character can be alluring without showing like, hella skin and junk. The expression is silly but i find it a part of its charm. But it really has to do with dat androgyny! hnngh!

Viole is androgynous?

Libera will blow your freakin mind.

Now i am intrigued! I cannot find art of that character....

No wonder you like Soren! :P:

:P: But i did know Soren was a dude upon first seeing his design in Nintendo Power way back before PoR was out. Viole made me have to inspect more closely.

lol that image owns

He kinda looks like another Reyson =3

Or Lucius too but he doesn't look as feminine as Lucius imo

character wise he's clearly Lucius 2.0 though since they've got almost exactly the same background. he's essentially lucius with an axe

which means he's the best character in the series bar none