[Nintendo Direct] First look at English localisation

VincentASM

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first language is Spanish, so I tend to pronounce several names by their Spanish equivalents, mostly the ones that write the same in Spanish, yet sound different. (Laura, Titania, Tana, Marcia, Amelia, Jorge, Hector, to name a few)

I don't really care too much about the name changes or translation, because when I get the game I usually make up my own names for them like "awesome guy" or "complete failure" depending on how well I can use them in the game. I would share the name I gave for Isadora but it's kind of inappropriate. Even worse the one I gave Meg.

Edited by Knight

My first language is Spanish, so I tend to pronounce several names by their Spanish equivalents, mostly the ones that write the same in Spanish, yet sound different. (Laura, Titania, Tana, Marcia, Amelia, Jorge, Hector, to name a few)

You reminded me that when a friend read her Katakana, she said it was "Lola". XD

I always try to pronounce the names in their original pronunciation.

If the word comes from the English> English pronunciation.

In katakana, as I say the "r" "l", because my "l" is closer to the "r" Japanese. If I say Chrom in japanese, I say Ku-lo-mu.

I always try to pronounce the names in their original pronunciation.

If the word comes from the English> English pronunciation.

In katakana, as I say the "r" "l", because my "l" is closer to the "r" Japanese. If I say Chrom in japanese, I say Ku-lo-mu.

What "original pronunciation"? From the voice acting, we clearly hear Chrom's name being pronounced identically to the English word "chrome".

What you're neglecting to take into account is the fact that "ku-ro-mu" is simply the closest way to write it in katakana. There's no way to lack a vowel after a "k" or "m", so the writers used the "u" sound, which is often silent. When pronouncing hiragana words, do you also speak with Nn's "de-SU"? I would hope not.

Yes, the "u" is almost silent.

For "desu" we say "dess", except if we insist on the "U", but I write it "desu".

Exactly. So how can you defend such an "original pronunciation" of Chrom?

I just said that I pronounce "r" as "l" if I said the word as a japanese, it was just a exemple.

The original pronunciation for Chrom is obviously in english.

There was no actual "Original pronounciation" or "Original translation" for Chrom's name in the english language before the localization, and the same goes for the other characters.

"Sully" may sound odd to you, but the katakana can be taken both ways, it's a fair translation at least. And even if it wasn't it's not our decision, it's up to the translation team.

It's okay if you like the fan translation of the names or the katakana/romaji better, but this concept you're trying to make feels innacurate.

Edited by Xinnidy

On the official site, we can see the romazination of the names.

And I don't know how "soware" can be read Sully %)

That's probably because those aren't real names. I don't even know how to pronounce Smia in enlgish. Does that even look like a name to you?

On the official site, we can see the romazination of the names.

Yes we can

Sadly Romaji isn't actual English/French/*insert western language here*. It may not have as much worth as you think in a localization.

And I don't know how "soware" can be read Sully %)

I could swear the katakana could also be read as "soure", but I don't actually remember what character was used and am not bothered to re-read katakana rules when I've stopped and switched to mandarin for quite a while. Surely it isn't as much of a stretch however, if you know how the word is spelled in english.

And I could argue with you that a more accurate katakana for Soirée would be "sowari", but I don't want to do a katakana war, gosh.

No, "sowareé is exactly the same pronunciation. i don't now how a "é" can be read as a "i". xD

I am not criticizing the translation errors(as Sumia instead of Smia), but the name changes.

I don't have the problem "it's sounds better" %)

i don't care of this, it's just that Japanese names are searched at the etymology. If the name of the same origin, it does not matter.

Name changes in a localization YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS

WE SHOULD TOTALLY KEEP SOL'S NAME AS THE OFFICIAL JAPANESE "SORT".

This thread is getting as ridiculous as the FE12 thread.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Eh, I'm sure things will settle down when the game's out.

I never want to remember the FE12 discussions ever.

I can see people still complaining about Caeda and etc. in this thread, but how often do people complain about FE8~11's name changes now? Not very often, I hope!

But anyway, that's what the internet does to people. It feeds them tons of information they wouldn't have access to normally and some people start feeling entitled, like they think their opinion is better than others (in this case, better than the official localisers...), oftentimes for the most bizarre of reasons. 'Course, I'm not talking about everybody in this thread and I completely understand why people might like the Japanese names or the fan names.