FE Confessions....Say What?

Loki Laufeyson

Well yeah, but you see those other people in your army represented as various NPCs, both in cutscenes and in game.

What I mean is that whoever your deployed units in any chapter are, that's it, everyone else is either a NPC or there's a justification why they're absent.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah, but you see those other people in your army represented as various NPCs, both in cutscenes and in game.

What I mean is that whoever your deployed units in any chapter are, that's it, everyone else is either a NPC or there's a justification why they're absent.

In Defending Talrega in FE9, Ike mentions Jill not having to be a part of the 'vanguard'. I guess this means that Ike chooses a select few units to come along with him as the primary, leading force, while the rest of the army is occupied elsewhere. Similar to the River Crossing bit of FE10, when Ike's team sneaks behind the lines while the main army wages war. So yeah, it's obvious that all the units you can see in a given chapter are all the units that are actually taking part in that particular battle, but they're hardly your entire army. However, I get the feeling this is the case in other FE games as well, not just the Tellius ones.

In Defending Talrega in FE9, Ike mentions Jill not having to be a part of the 'vanguard'. I guess this means that Ike chooses a select few units to come along with him as the primary, leading force, while the rest of the army is occupied elsewhere. Similar to the River Crossing bit of FE10, when Ike's team sneaks behind the lines while the main army wages war. So yeah, it's obvious that all the units you can see in a given chapter are all the units that are actually taking part in that particular battle, but they're hardly your entire army. However, I get the feeling this is the case in other FE games as well, not just the Tellius ones.

I think Big Boss' point was that in earlier FEs, units were taken to represent parts of your army, rather than being individuals. So while you technically have say, twenty units in FE4, those units represent a larger army of hundreds or thousands. This use of synecdoche corresponds with Advance Wars, where one "Tank" explicitly represents a squadron of five tanks and one "Mech" represents a squad of ten soldiers.

I don't know if that's entirely true; isn't it explicitly stated that Sigurd, Noish, Alec, and Arden are the only people left to defend Chalphy from Verdane because everyone else is fighting Isaac?

I don't know if that's entirely true; isn't it explicitly stated that Sigurd, Noish, Alec, and Arden are the only people left to defend Chalphy from Verdane because everyone else is fighting Isaac?

No, that's never explicitly stated: and it simply makes no sense, either. How can four people hold an entire castle on their own?

In fact, there is evidence to the contrary:

"Midayle:

My lady, the castle's completely surrounded! We've failed you miserably!

Adean:

Midayle, it's alright. Everyone gave their best. You needn't worry about me anymore.

Please save yourself. I want as many of you to get out of this alive as possible!

Midayle:

None of us are going anywhere, my lady. We're here for you till the very end.

Even if it means our lives."

It definitely makes no sense for one knight to be garrisoning an entire castle.

Certainly, there's a difference between this, where a unit could be argued to be representative of a group of soldiers, and such units make up your entire army, and FE9 and FE10 (possibly FE7 where you don't really have an "army") where your army is just the "vanguard" or an elite unit and there are many other soldiers fighting offscreen.

I love the amount of strategy and thinking you have to do in the whole FE series. I love the story, I love the characters.

The only thing I dislike about the Fire Emblem games is the lack of difficult bosses, except for FE4 and PoR's Black Knight, there aren't too many.

I tried to play FE4. I didn't care much for the characters, the story or the awkwardly translated dialouge. Awkwardly as in it seemed to have all the problems that you would see in literal japanese to english translations. The translations are not bad by any means but they never felt natural.

I dunno, if the FE OVA and some FE4 conversations are an indication, the units in FE are supposed to be the most important people in a much bigger army.

Only with Tellius did they decide that your units are in fact your entire army.

Ya, I read the conversations. I also played the game. The battles take place on the world map, and thus it doesn't feel like there's much of an army beyond your units. Or, Sigurd always leaves all his soldiers huddled in the castle, while Ike leaves them huddled outside the enemy castles :D

The translations are not bad by any means but they never felt natural.

I agree, but I still really loved some of the oddest moments.

Levin:

Well, talk is cheap. If you really feel so bad, why don't you pack up and leave?

Sigurd:

Alright then.

Look, I'll go consult with my people.

Edited by Mouse

I liked the dialouge style (purple prose) of FE11. Though describing it as purple prose might be a bit harsh since I think the game was better with it. But I'm not sure what the general opinion of it is.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

I tried to play FE4. I didn't care much for the characters, the story or the awkwardly translated dialouge. Awkwardly as in it seemed to have all the problems that you would see in literal japanese to english translations. The translations are not bad by any means but they never felt natural.

the obvious solution is to not play with the translation patch on

the obvious solution is to not play with the translation patch on

In that case, I would be playing a game in a language that I don't understand and thus depriving me of the story completely.

Even the worst translation/dub is better than a language you don't understand.

I played FE8 in Japanese. It was pretty fun. Translations are great though. Thanks to all of them, official and not.

If CT075's statement is special, then that is a real shame, that a FE game does not have good enough gameplay to be played on that merit alone for most of us.

Edited by Mouse

Due to some reason I don't know, the translation patches for FE3-5 didn't work, so I have to play in Japanese. Does it affect me? No, not really although it does annoy me that I don't know who leveled up in what or which option I use to dismount my dudes.

Edited by Spiriter Kalas

The first fire emblem game I ever owned was FE9, I still have the file from my first ever run of the game. Everybody (and I mean Everybody) is dead, save for Ike and Elincia.

Did you beat the game on that file?

Did you beat the game on that file?

Just, naturally I jeiganed horribly. Though my Titania was slain by Naesela (I didn't realise you needed to talk to him to make him retreat Facepalm_emote_gif.gif) And after her death, in the following missions, pretty much all of my other units died. Fortunatley my Ike was only mildly underleveled and by sacrificing all my other units, I managed to carry him to chapter 26, whereupon with Ragnell in hand I managed to rape my way through most of the easy mode enemy scrubs. Upon reaching the final chapter despite having

to let Tibarn go I managed to kill Ashnard and win the mad kings war. laugh.gif

Edited by healthylunch