MarkyJoe1990's Fire Emblem Hack Reviews (Video Series)

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what system shock is. Probably sucks. Maybe if MANRIKA could sway my opinion by beating Carcino....

Anyway, this thread, to me, reaks of personal bias.

"Comparing DoF to Lussaria, CoL (my hack) has dynamic this and interesting that, but DoF is bad because big maps are inherently bad" and "I have a neat gimmick with a drunk monk, but DoF lacks anything like that" seems like such a dish of personal preference than anything else. Your comments against DoF, for instance, just call things bad because "big maps" aren't fun, or "I couldn't beat the first wave comfortably and quickly" implies that you only prefer certain kinds of challenges.

Its hard to be convinced, as I have yet to even play either hack in any form, but from what I've heard and read and seen, either DoF is a shit skid on the underwear of hacking developers, Lussaria is great because it has elements that you can easily name off, and Z is arbitrarily and vaguely in the middle.

Can you provide positives [read: reasons to try their hacks]? As a reviewer, you can't run things like the Nostalgia Critic and complain about every element unless that,s your angle

Your video says it's been removed. Are you reuploDing?

I'm attempting to re-render the video, since one of the jokes got mucked by VirtualDub rendering my avisynth clip improperly. It's... taking forever, honestly. I keep running into issues.

I dunno what system shock is. Probably sucks. Maybe if MANRIKA could sway my opinion by beating Carcino....

Anyway, this thread, to me, reaks of personal bias.

"Comparing DoF to Lussaria, CoL (my hack) has dynamic this and interesting that, but DoF is bad because big maps are inherently bad" and "I have a neat gimmick with a drunk monk, but DoF lacks anything like that" seems like such a dish of personal preference than anything else. Your comments against DoF, for instance, just call things bad because "big maps" aren't fun, or "I couldn't beat the first wave comfortably and quickly" implies that you only prefer certain kinds of challenges.

Its hard to be convinced, as I have yet to even play either hack in any form, but from what I've heard and read and seen, either DoF is a shit skid on the underwear of hacking developers, Lussaria is great because it has elements that you can easily name off, and Z is arbitrarily and vaguely in the middle.

Can you provide positives [read: reasons to try their hacks]? As a reviewer, you can't run things like the Nostalgia Critic and complain about every element unless that,s your angle.

Yes. Firstly. At the beginning of every playthrough, I am mentally prepared to like the hacks I've played unless it's my own, in which my opinion will vary. Secondly, I can and have pointed out good things about the hacks I've played, numerous times in my videos. For example: If you watch my re-do playthrough of Dream of Five, I point out that the story - while not emotionally compelling - is competently written, some of the cutscenes amazed me with their presentation (Chapter 3 especially). Most of the art is very nice, and even when I complained that it's map design was horribly tedious and bloated, I made a big deal out of Chapter 3's well thought out archer placements. I liked the first fog of war chapter. Every now and then, the hack challenged me to be creative, and those were it's best moments. I took great satisfaction in the chapter where you are given a route split choice. Ferrying Amelia to fight the boss and using Renair to clean up the enemies solo was a fun strategy to pull off.

The main reason why I don't like the hack is mostly because it feels the need to make us trudge across large, relatively empty maps, and while it's one flaw, it's a HUGE one. Unlike FE4, you can't save during chapters, and you aren't given many high-movement units, and some chapters such as chapter 2 are clustered with tree tiles that make the process all the more tedious. Add this to the strangely durable enemies, inconsistent hit rates (Amelia Chapter 1 has a 52 hit rate on the FIRST ENEMY), and a general lack of creative ideas that help make certain maps memorable, and you have something that is nauseating to play.

When I work on Chronicles of Lussaria, I make it a point to make sure the map design is something I actually like, and I have a team of highly skeptical, opinionated friends to help me achieve that. I've made a lot of hacks in the past (The two previous Fire Mumblems, Tactician Hell, The Corruption of Roy, Super Hard Lyn Mode, Help Me Help You Project), so I've gained a feel for what I like and don't like. For some of those hacks, I've sought after public criticism in hopes that I can improve. The single chapter of Help Me Help You was improved greatly thanks to the help of people who told me "This can be broken", or "This is a bit tedious, remove it". If you can find fault in Chronicles of Lussaria, tell me and I will fix it. While I'm far from humble when it comes to criticizing other people's work, any criticism I get for my own work is something I look forward to, because to me, it means further progress in making something I will be able to play over and over again without getting tired of it. I very rarely ignore or fight against criticism of my own work.

EDIT: Another thing I want to point out is that I've redesigned a single chapter in CoL 9 times because it wasn't to my liking. In total, I had over 30 different maps that I scrapped for the first five chapters. Some of them are deleted, but if you want proof as to how serious I take my level design, I have a whole folder dedicated to the remaining twenty something maps that I either scrapped, or have no intention of using in the future.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I've watched a few of your videos now, and I really enjoy them! I do think some of the criticisms you've received in this thread are valid though. You seem to be open to criticism yourself, which is always the mark of a good critic, so that's good!

If I could suggest something, it would be to show a little bit more humility when criticizing things. I know that if instead of declaring "This is bad", like it's an objective statement, and instead saying something like "I don't like this" and then explaining why, you'll come across a lot better. Never double back on your own opinions, but always make it clear that they are yours and not an indicator of how something should be thought of overall by everybody. Just some simple wording choices can go a long way!

There was actually an example of this in your most recent video. At the 17:56 mark, you stated a positive in opinion form ("I like..."), followed by an explanation of that opinion, then immediately followed it up with a con that was just as well-explained, which made for a really well-rounded and constructive criticism for the map's design. By stating both a positive and a negative, you offered a balanced critique and didn't come across as biased at all! Though there's not always going to be a positive to counterbalance a negative in all situations, what really made the difference was stating "I like..." instead of "This is..."

So keep it up! Your videos are always extremely well-edited, and your commentary is interesting. :)

Edited by dreamcrash

When will the next chapter be recorded?

Not sure yet. My laptop's charger stopped working and I'm waiting for the new one to come in (Which could take from tomorrow to about a week). Until then, I'm stuck using a shoddy laptop.

I've watched a few of your videos now, and I really enjoy them! I do think some of the criticisms you've received in this thread are valid though. You seem to be open to criticism yourself, which is always the mark of a good critic, so that's good!

If I could suggest something, it would be to show a little bit more humility when criticizing things. I know that if instead of declaring "This is bad", like it's an objective statement, and instead saying something like "I don't like this" and then explaining why, you'll come across a lot better. Never double back on your own opinions, but always make it clear that they are yours and not an indicator of how something should be thought of overall by everybody. Just some simple wording choices can go a long way!

There was actually an example of this in your most recent video. At the 17:56 mark, you stated a positive in opinion form ("I like..."), followed by an explanation of that opinion, then immediately followed it up with a con that was just as well-explained, which made for a really well-rounded and constructive criticism for the map's design. By stating both a positive and a negative, you offered a balanced critique and didn't come across as biased at all! Though there's not always going to be a positive to counterbalance a negative in all situations, what really made the difference was stating "I like..." instead of "This is..."

So keep it up! Your videos are always extremely well-edited, and your commentary is interesting. :)

Thank you for the words of encouragement. This managed to cheer me up from the bad mood I was having prior. Lately I've been thinking of ways to change my approach to commentary. I've been avoiding swearing in the past few videos, and I think this tidbit of advice will do me a lot of favors. Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 2 months later...

Alright, I have a question. I was told Decay of the Fangs ends at chapter 11, and the original hack thread claims that it goes up to Chapter 10x, but... there appears to be a chapter 12. Does anyone know what's going on here?

sometimes there's stuff in the hack that the creator didn't mean for there to be?

i dunno, is the chapter title edited?

Yeah. There's a whole entire chapter in there. Cutscenes and everything. It's strange.

That happened with Tactics Universe too. If you used cheats, you could access Chapter 22, which was complete.

I think it's the same thing, except the hacker forgot to implement a "barricade" preventing you from continuing.

Anyways, are you recording this series?

I don't think it's all that strange, personally. It's not like we release a hack as soon as we finish the chapter we want it to go up to--other chapters would have their work started in advance and I'd have probably gone and revised some of the previous chapters too for the patch... amongst doing other things in advance as well (like including portraits, maps, or scripts I haven't used yet).

Well, maybe some people release it that way, which is fine, but I guess Mike and I didn't, haha.

I made the video for Chapter 11 public, but quickly decided to make it private again because of Blazer's comment. I decided to PM Project Decay of the Fangs. If they give me the OK, I'll make it public again.

In the mean time... Alfred Kamon made a request a while back for me to play his hack. I already have the first chapter recorded. Um... So yeah! Maybe I'm a little biased because I like Alfred Kamon, but damn if this isn't the best intro to a hack I've ever seen! I'm really excited about this project.

EDIT: And now the first video is up!

Also, some of note. I did a lot of self-reflection. I wrote this up in a text document.

People have asked me why I do commentaries on Fire Emblem hacks even though it's quite apparent that I don't like any of them.

The short answer is that I enjoy doing commentaries, and I enjoy giving critique. The former allows me to express myself in my own goofy way, and the other helps people improve their work. I like being helpful.

Even if I don't enjoy the game I'm playing, I don't mind nearly as much as I let on. Even when I get extremely angry, I will still continue playing the game. We've seen this in my latest playthroughs.

I NEVER do a playthrough of a hack unless I am given permission from the author. Back when I first made the playthrough thread on Tactics Universe forums, I made it clear that I am extremely harsh. Despite this, I still get requests to play people's hacks. Sometimes I ask to play the hack, and I'm given approval. That trend has continued to this very day, so while I may be severe in my critiques, take note that the author is fully prepared for whatever I have to say.

I don't exist in the fire emblem hacking community just to trash talk hacks. The only reason I get so upset is because I know that the community can make something truly good. We've SEEN hacks that have tremendous amounts of effort put into them, with impressive art, serious attempts at good story telling, and overall creative - if poorly executed - ideas in gameplay. But so many hacks fail in making compelling gameplay, and it baffles my mind that a community filled with such talented and driven people can't seem to get it right.

The only reason I can think of as to why people can't seem to get gameplay down is that I don't think they don't care enough to invest time into figuring out good level design, and why should they? It appears to me that most of the community interested in hacks don't seem to care much about gameplay. The most popular hacks appear to be ones with a large slew of impressive portraits. Meanwhile, hacks like Dondon's Project barely got any attention when they were around, and those hacks focus primarily on gameplay. To me, this all hints at a community that is more concerned about style over substance.

But lets be clear here. While I still feel very strongly about my beliefs, I am way too mean about it. If I want more people to listen to me, I need to balance my fits of anger by being more supportive, constructive, and showing WAY more humility. So I promise my attitude is going to be different from now on.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Also, some of note. I did a lot of self-reflection. I wrote this up in a text document.

Just as a quick comment on your observations re: the community - I feel there's something missing that ties into your comments regarding gameplay.

Namely, unlike art (including music) and writing, game/level design is something people just don't have experience in, and that acquiring experience in it is extremely difficult. There aren't a slew of indie game developers for example amidst the FE community, and if there were, they'd probably be focusing their efforts on their original IPs in order to earn a living wage off their passion rather than making Fire Emblem hacks for gratis. Thus, the gameplay aspects of a hack are the most likely to suffer from a comparative lack of knowledge on that front - There are people with years of experience in the other disciplines that go into a hack here, but game design....ehh, far, far less.

So I don't think it's entirely style over substance. Portraits and artwork are a lot more accessible to the average member of the community than skill in game design.

Just as a quick comment on your observations re: the community - I feel there's something missing that ties into your comments regarding gameplay.

Namely, unlike art (including music) and writing, game/level design is something people just don't have experience in, and that acquiring experience in it is extremely difficult. There aren't a slew of indie game developers for example amidst the FE community, and if there were, they'd probably be focusing their efforts on their original IPs in order to earn a living wage off their passion rather than making Fire Emblem hacks for gratis. Thus, the gameplay aspects of a hack are the most likely to suffer from a comparative lack of knowledge on that front - There are people with years of experience in the other disciplines that go into a hack here, but game design....ehh, far, far less.

So I don't think it's entirely style over substance. Portraits and artwork are a lot more accessible to the average member of the community than skill in game design.

Eh... fair enough. You aren't the first one to point out that it's the lack of experience that explains poor gameplay in hacks, and I don't have a strong argument against it either.

One thing, in Prologue, the warp knight actually can get killed depending on what the RNG rolls in Hard mode.

He can die in normal mode as well. Try moving to the right hand column and leaving Oblumbra equipped on the first turn. The RNG will promptly conspire to lower his health enough to be worrying, but not enough to warrant an elixir use. Next enemy turn, stay on that pillar and "WHACK", he's gone. Which was mildly annoying during playtesting. There's a similar issue in Dream of Five if I recall, where not moving correctly in the Prologue leads to a guaranteed axe to the face for Renair.

Just goes to show the RNG isn't truly "random". Unlike the one in Super Robot Wars, but that one really is biased against the player.

Early in the review you said that you believe Alfred only got help with the portraits.

I did the weapon icons, though the ones in the release are pretty old. Most of them have been updated to be better looking.

Noted. I'll mention it in the next episode.