Pokemon X and Y

Jaybee

Garchomp and Dragonite.

Uh, I dunno what you're trying to imply but you just named two of the best Pokemon in the game. (Metagame-wise, at least.)

Also, has anyone else noticed the Eiffel tower in the trailer? I have a feeling our next region will be inspired by France-- Paris, specifically.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, I dunno what you're trying to imply but you just named two of the best Pokemon in the game. (Metagame-wise, at least.)

Also, has anyone else noticed the Eiffel tower in the trailer? I have a feeling our next region will be inspired by France-- Paris, specifically.

But what about their Quad-Ice weakness? Sure, Dragonite has Multiscale, but that needs the Dream World, unless Dratini can be found on Hidden Hollows or trading with Yancy/Curtis.

I think it's all but stated outright that is gonna be France-based. The intro also had Pikachu on top of the real Eiffel Tower, and Junichi Masuda (he or another of GF, don't exactly remember who) had gone on vacation to France recently.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

That's when you give them a Yache Berry. They take one hit if they get outsped or the opponent uses Ice Shard, and then you OHKO them back. Not possible against all Ice types but if it's not, you switch out and have something else kill it for you. It still doesn't begin to make up for their generally high amount of resistances and high stats.

What about their quad-ice weakness? Garchomp is moderately quick and Dragonite is fairly quick for its tanky stats, they pack Dragon Dance which means that if they force a switch, they have a good chance of outspeeding whatever else you bring out, and there is nothing that can deliver a powerful Ice type attack faster than them that's not going to get really messed up even by an unboosted Outrage. That basically means that you're limited to revenge-killing Dragons, you usually cannot outright counter them. +1 DD Dragonite can do a third of Metagross' HP in damage with one Outrage, and that's a resist on a high defense pokemon. While Metagross might win the encounter, it'll be extremely weakened as a consequence... and if Dragonite gets lucky with when Outrage ends, it can turn around and Fire Blast Metagross, which can do enough damage to finish it.

That's another fun thing about dragons - like most Water-types, they're basically guaranteed to get moves that counter their only bad points. Contrariwise, you don't see Fire types walking around getting a reliable 100-120 Power Water or Ice attack, just Grass (Grass is horrible as offensive coverage...), You don't see most Psychics with Aura Sphere, either. Etc.

Stealth Rock and Stone Edge have more to do with bringing most Dragons down than Ice Beam does, and Dragonite, Garchomp and Salamence are huge parts of why the Singles OU bracket has lost a lot of players in favor of doubles, triples, and singles UU.

If a quad weakness alone was enough to sink a pokemon, the metagame'd look very different. It's only when they sport multiple quad weaknesses that an issue comes up. Like, if Camerupt could keep Simple rather than Solid Rock, with the addition of Flame Charge it'd probably do a lot better than it currently does. Fire/Ground is not a bad type combo. But it's got almost nothing on the stupid, borderline overpowered 600 BST Dragons.

Edited by CinderSkye

But what about their Quad-Ice weakness? Sure, Dragonite has Multiscale, but that needs the Dream World, unless Dratini can be found on Hidden Hollows or trading with Yancy/Curtis.

I think it's all but stated outright that is gonna be France-based. The intro also had Pikachu on top of the real Eiffel Tower, and Junichi Masuda (he or another of GF, don't exactly remember who) had gone on vacation to France recently.

That's why you switch out your Pokemon, obviously!

Honestly, Ice-types are like wet paper defensively. One DDance and they'll be shattered by whatever move is thrown at them, unless your name is Weavile, Froslass, or Cryogonal (because you'll most likely outspeed Dragonite / Garchomp) or you happen to have Ice Shard. Even then, you have the option to use Yache berries and suppress the damage to x2. Still, there's abilities like Sand Veil and Multiscale which can cause ice attacks to miss occasionally (Sand Veil) or suppress their damage (Multiscale). In Dragonite's case, the ability may be a little inconvenient to obtain, but it's not impossible.

I'm very excited for Pokemon X/Y. I hope we have some Pokemon inspired by art!

Edited by Esme

The DW Dragonite requirement shouldn't even be brought up. Female DW Dragonites exist, so it's only a matter of being somewhat patient and going to any Wi-Fi trading site and asking for some DW Dratini babies.

Of course, getting useful DW babies of almost anything else is next-to-impossible, but Dragons get to cheat at everything, so that's okay.

I think he just read dondon's post without punctuating it in his mind.

Gliscor. Gliscor have a Quad Ice Weakness, and is still a pretty awesome.

Beside, Ice is mainly used against Dragons. Against Flying, you have Rock and Electric that can usually perform better.

It's also useful against Ground Types. Against Grass, there's also Fire.

Dragons are one of the main reasons Ice is popular. It's because it's the most common way against them.

Dragon/Ground is actually a pretty good combination, offensively and defensively.

Moreover, offensively, Dragon as the best synergy with the other types,because you will do neutral Damage against nearly anithing.

that would be more or less like saying that Steel sucks, because of the Ground/Fight/Fire weaknesses.

And these weaknesses are far worse than Ice/Dragon honestly

Edited by TendaSlime

You are talking about an offensive type who is only resisted by Steel types

You are talking about a defensive type only weak to Dragon and Ice, but resistant to Grass, Electric, Fire, Water which many pokemon tend to have. Dual-types tend to augment these resistances or expand on the weaknesses; but most dragon types are so amazing that in Gen IV they had to break the conventional Uber tier to include some of the non-legendary Dragon type Pokemon.

Edited by Lord Raven

I think it would be interesting if the game's cities and towns were based on different cities and towns across the world... London, Paris, Tokyo, Washington, Baghdad... The evil group could be based off the Taliban and use Pokemon with Explosion/Self Destruct.

Kinda off-topic, but I'd love a remake of Yellow... But with every region accessible. Or at least Johto as well as Kanto. I would jizz in my panties if that ever happened.

every region accessible... YES! YES! mommy mommy can we please get this!

Also, I'd like to say that i would love to get some cool typings this generation. They have already been mentioned like Grass/Fire. Honestly something like that would be awesome... along with a creative name depicting a burning forest :awesome: Also fire/ice would be awesome even if the damned stealth rock fucks everything up for it.

Edited by SlayerX

I like Froakie and all(and I like water starters to pieces.) but it reminds me of croagunk. :| I like its inquisitive look though. Totally looks better than Oshawott.

I HOPE THE FIRE STARTER ISN'T PART FIGHTING TYPE TOO. IF IT BECOMES A PSYCHIC TYPE I AM SO GONNA PICK IT FOR MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH(if I ever get a 3DS or da 3DS emulator is magically formed lol)

Chespin looks so cute. <3

I like Froakie and all(and I like water starters to pieces.) but it reminds me of croagunk. :| I like its inquisitive look though. Totally looks better than Oshawott.

I HOPE THE FIRE STARTER ISN'T PART FIGHTING TYPE TOO. IF IT BECOMES A PSYCHIC TYPE I AM SO GONNA PICK IT FOR MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH(if I ever get a 3DS or da 3DS emulator is magically formed lol)

Chespin looks so cute. <3

Fire/Grass or Fire/Normal :P?

They have already been mentioned like Grass/Fire. Honestly something like that would be awesome... along with a creative name depicting a burning forest :awesome:

I want my goddamn EXPLODING Tree !

Well, Hopefully, we'll have interresting new types.

Taking a page out of Digimon World here, but a Machine type would be pretty interesting, especially considering what Pokemon could be created with such a type in mind.

Most of the steel types already are machine types though ... Voltorb and Porygon are the only non-steel machines I can think of. Similarly, a lot of the machine digimon are named by calling them Metal + <Champion Family Name>.

I think I would like to see a few more abilities which aren't themselves new types, but - like Levitate, Flash Fire, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Storm Drain, Sap Sipper, Lightningrod and Motor Drive - alter type effectiveness.

e.g.

Straightforward: Raises attack and defenses 20%. Takes double damage from poison attacks. Stat boost drops if poisoned.

Expertise: Halves damage from fighting and rock type attacks. Confusion lasts half as long.

Heat Aura: Halves damage from electric and water type attacks. Contact moves have a 20% chance to flinch.

Mist Aura: Gains a 20% evasion chance against all attacks that are not psychic or grass. Stat changes are halved. No effect under the Sun.

Edited by CinderSkye

Most of the steel types already are machine types though ... Voltorb and Porygon are the only non-steel machines I can think of. Similarly, a lot of the machine digimon are named by calling them Metal + <Champion Family Name>.

You forgot Golurk. He's Ghost/Ground, and based roughly on a Gundam. Haha