51 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like the most?

• The Gameplay
    • The soundtrack
    • The stages
    • The characters
    • The unlockables
    • The items

Despite its best efforts to the contrary, it manages to be fun to play often enough for me in a way I don't usually see repeated elsewhere. I'll admit there's also some kind of Nintendo charm about the way it presents everything that probably causes me to give it more leeway than I should. That could of course just be straight-up nostalgia tripping on my part, though.

I basically want somebody to take the playstyle of Wario and transplant him/it verbatim to a game that doesn't try to mess with people for the crime of playing it a lot

Mainly the soundtrack, actually.

Sure, Luigi, the Ice Climbers, Peach, Zelda, Falco, and Toon Link are my favorite characters to use for the gameplay, but I love how there's so many assorted tracks in the games from all over.

Gameplay, of course.

You do realise the the 1P mode is secondary to the multiplayer mode, right?

i think he meant it plays less like a traditional fighter and more like a beat em up, or something

which are admittedly not very platformery but eh

Edited by Stolypin Necktie

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplay with characters as the second (since even if Smash Bros. had the same cast but had Street Fighter controls, I would have probably never gotten into it since I sucked at Street Fighter like games for the longest time).

I especially like the freedom of movement and the ease of performing special attacks in Smash Bros. games, as opposed to the very restricted movement and special moves that require memorization from fighters like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

Regarding characters, when it comes to a cast composed of only one game company, how iconic can you get as Nintendo? Characters like Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Link, and Pikachu are some of the most recognized and popular game characters in video game history, and having them all in a game together makes the game all the more iconic.

Even if characters from other game companies may not be as recognizable, I still wish game companies would create their own version of Smash Bros. Other game companies went crazy with Mario Kart clones (Crash Team Racing, Konami Krazy Racers, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing), so I see no problem why Smash Bros. clones with casts from different game companies should be a problem. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale did it, and I have a blast with that game.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the gameplay, characters, and soundtrack, but if I had to pick just one, I'd say gameplay, like most others. <3

I also absolutely love having Ike kick Link's and Marth's asses, because I think he is so much cooler than they are. :3

Gameplay, characters comes in a close second! Custom stages and items add to the hilarity as well. Everything meshes together so nicely~

Ah, it's the funniest thing when my friends pick burly and hirsute characters, then complain about Pikachu or Peach never dying as they're being destroyed.

I think I'll learn Jiggz to humiliate them more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hope you're talking about brawl :P. Melee is far from easy.

They're both pretty easy in basic, casual gameplay, but when it comes to technical mastery, I'd say they're as hard as each other.

I picked gameplay. Characters are the most iconic thing about the games, and the music selection in Brawl is amazing, but the platform/fighting gameplay is the best thing about it for me. I had Digimon Battle Spirit on GBA, which is the same genre, and I remember thinking of it as my portable version of Smash Bros, despite the different characters and music.

Characters! And their hilarious movesets. Actually, in Brawl, I REALLY liked Subspace Emissary and how they could make the entire thing so unbelievably funny without any dialogue. Absolutely fell in love with it.

Gameplay because I'm not really into Nintendo characters and I can listen to the soundtrack online without losing anything, since it doesn't have much context in the game itself (e.g. listening to Aerith's theme would mean more to someone who's played the game than someone who just listened to it online).

• 2 weeks later...

I need an "everything" button. I once saw a video where a guy was complaining that the basic "combos" are too easy to do in SSBB. Isn't SSB supposed to be the fighter that you can just pick up and play? Because I hate most fighters due to how complicated they are. SSB has what no other fighter does - accessibility.

I love SSB because it pretty much shits on other fighting games. Fighting games such with their awkward 3D sidestepping and built in combos. You also have to face the enemy the whole time. SSB is 2D side-scroller style, and just gives you basic attacks to leave the player's open to figuring out what combos there are.

By the way, the percentage system is genius!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the characters are what makes SSB so great. I'll paraphrase rabbidluigi and say that whoever thought that they should make a game where Nintendo's greatest and favorite characters should all be in one game together and bash eachothers brains out deserves a giant-ass trophy. Where else can I make the invincible Ike and unbeatable Link have a sword duel to the bitter end?

I think the characters are what makes SSB so great. I'll paraphrase rabbidluigi and say that whoever thought that they should make a game where Nintendo's greatest and favorite characters should all be in one game together and bash eachothers brains out deserves a giant-ass trophy. Where else can I make the invincible Ike and unbeatable Link have a sword duel to the bitter end?

shh

Link has always been terrible in Smash