Has Fire Emblem ascended to...Godhood?

sumerian99

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rescue staff is also buyable about midway through the game, though you get one quite early through sidequest 1. The staff more or less is going to replace the actual rescuing aspect of the old games, if your mages have enough range to make it useful.

Pair Up essentially replaces Rescue as a command, the difference being that the person wanting to be "rescued" has to initiate the pairing rather than vice versa, and the lead unit gets stat boosts instead of a massive penalty. Makes moving low level units into hotly contested areas to pick off kills then plucking them back out a lot harder, but is pretty much superior in every other aspect.

Yeah. It took a few tries for me to get that right. Blargh. But allied/green units cant be rescued at all unless maybe with the Rescue Staff.

Whats cool about Pair up is the boosts and the support points.

As far as the designs go, most of them are pretty bad, but FE changes art style every few games. I'm holding out hope that it doesn't last very long, I don't want another game of this.

A lot of the designs have extra bullshit on them that ruins an otherwise cool one. Take Chrom and his retarded boots for instance. Then you start to wonder what kind of pants he's even wearing. Then you see his single sleeve. They look alright at a glance, but look any further and they just get stupid.

The armor knights and the cavs' "Loo Armour" are quite funky indeed. Im like "wut." The armors look like mechas.

While I love mecha, I must say I don't care much for this art style.

Beats the heck outta Shadow Dragon's, though.

Yep, Shadow Dragon and Shirow Masamune's art by extension was a huge turnoff. Shadow Dragon's visuals in general were a turn-off. I felt the DS era was fairly bland looking in general as far as colour schemes and animation goes. I typically don't notice the generics all that much or their odd armor, since in cutscenes the game usually just displays a fairly regular looking soldier.

While playing the game, I actually really like the designs, and I think judging the game by its official art is a little silly. I noticed while drawing fanart of Olivia that the official art doesn't even necessarily match the portraits or the in-game models. For all we know, Sully really does have pants in-game.

Honestly, I too found FE11's art style not my particular taste, but I do have a friend who absolutely loves that style and thinks its the best. Looking at it objectively however, Shirow Masamune puts a lot of detail more than any other artist that had worked for the Fire Emblem series had done with their official art. On the other hand, his art style just appeals to a more select audience. My problem with Fire Emblem 13's art however is not the style, but just the designs seem inferior compared to previous titles starting from FE7.

Of course really, that's all opinion. :)

Edited by Pervio

• 4 months later...

For all of you hating on Nowi, you seem to be forgetting that she just escaped from slavery, idiots! And seeing as it is war, she doesn't exactly have time to change clothes!