Has Fire Emblem ascended to...Godhood?

sumerian99

I'm not joking. I've never been interested in FPSs myself. I've seen my brother play CoD some, and to me, it looked exactly like Medal of Honor, an FPS I DID actually enjoy for awhile. I don't play it anymore because I've gotten too interested in other games, but even if I did, I wouldn't want to play another game that's basically the same and just rips it off. Though, I don't know which series was made first.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, where did I treat any post of yours like an insult to someone's family?

If you'd been reading the thread you'd have seen that I'm obviously referring to sumerian.

Also, I've heard nothing but bad things about CoD. That it gets boring fast, it lacks a story, it's repetitive, and every game is exactly the same. And other things too, but I can't think of all of them off the top of my head.

Let's be fair, story doesn't tend to be FE's strong suit. 1 and 6, for instance, and thus 11, are basically identical.

I've never been interested in FPSs myself.

So you're just extending judgments on an entire franchise, of games of a genre you generally dislike, on the whims of a bunch of butthurt nerds who literally hate CoD because it's popular?

I mean, am I missing something here?

EDIT: Bear in mind, I'm more of a Battlefield guy. I'm not even the sort to leap to CoD's defense. I haven't played any of them since a free weekend of 6.

Edited by Integrity

So you're just extending judgments on an entire franchise, of games of a genre you generally dislike, on the whims of a bunch of butthurt nerds who literally hate CoD because it's popular?

Uh, no, I never said any of that. I'm saying what I've heard from people who have actually played it.

Furetchen: That's your opinion. I personally think FE has the most amazing stories I've ever seen in gaming, even better than Zelda's. Also, 11 is a REMAKE of 1, of course it'll be the same.

Edited by Anacybele

We all know that FE is much more than a god.

It is a pantheon of GREAT OLD ONES. Worship it lest Anna screws your RNGs.

ai ai Anna ftaghan

lol'd

On a side note: It's a video game. Part of a long series. Again it's a video game. A fantasy setting. A fictional setting. Unless I'm mistaken, since when has anyone that's played a RPG wanted to play it for it's "realism?" I haven't.

To be absolutely fair, a game like Xenoblade, the standard outfits for the females arent all that fanservicey. (Its..other armor sets that are like wut. Plus the bikinis. Which you dont even need to use.) But that is one game out of like shit tons that doesnt have overly fanservicey standard poses/outfits. (but the option of fanservice still remains...)

Marth what are you doing

So you were saying that the poses in Awakening were bad? Have you ever heard of confirmation bias before?

LOL AT MARTH!!! I know right? Hey Marth, get some pants! Hey Link, get some pants. Hey Belmonts, get some pants.

I have nothing to say about the high-heel part, because I honestly haven't spent much time looking at the characters' feet, have no idea which characters wear them, and have utterly no idea why anybody anywhere would ever wear them.

But they dont have feet. (see what i did thar?)

You know, theres a bit of a double standard in this thread which is D: to say the least. Male characters are subject to fanservice just as well.

Well, well, Virion. This is a subtle form of fanservice. Cravats and long hair on dudes are a thing. See Miles Edgeworth and Dunban (from Xenoblade) for details. Those guys have a huge female following.

Uhhh yeah, Libera. Androgynous blokes are also a form of fanservice. (see Lucius)

Vaike... How many FE guys are designed like this? A lot, actually. We can see the beefcake there. Also fanservice.

Thats just a couple of examples. Fanservice is also subjective. One might find Seth to be quite humdrum, while another will find his design to be super hot.

Really cause most people i know irl really enjoy CoD

Arr. Im not a fan because that genre wrinkles my laundry. I just...cant...shoot...

Lots of blanket statements up in here. :):

Uh, no, I never said any of that. I'm saying what I've heard from people who have actually played it.

How much CoD have you played? Otherwise, all you're doing is spitting out second-hand opinions, which is exactly what I accused you of, albeit with a little more vitriol.

Furetchen: That's your opinion. I personally think FE has the most amazing stories I've ever seen in gaming, even better than Zelda's. Also, 11 is a REMAKE of 1, of course it'll be the same.

Furetchen's "fe stories are shit" opinion is just an opinion, man, get over it, but your "my friends tell me cod is bad" opinion is worth arguing about with people who have actually played CoD.

;/

How much CoD have you played? Otherwise, all you're doing is spitting out second-hand opinions, which is exactly what I accused you of, albeit with a little more vitriol.

I said I have not played any. I said that I've spoken to people who HAVE played it.

Furetchen's "fe stories are shit" opinion is just an opinion, man, get over it, but your "my friends tell me cod is bad" opinion is worth arguing about with people who have actually played CoD.

;/

Did you not read a word I said? I wasn't talking to friends, I WAS talking to people who have actually PLAYED it.

Also, I've not heard that the 3DS can cause seizures. :/

So....

Even if the 3D effect for the 3DS is off it can still trigger seizures or what?

No idea. Maybe the flashy flashes in animations could do it? /shrug.

Furetchen's "fe stories are shit" opinion is just an opinion, man, get over it

Hehe. Well, to be fair to Furetchen, FE stories arent winning any Pulitzers anytime soon. Also, im not playing this game for its story. I cant speak for everyone else, but im finding the gameplay to be quite awesomesauce, so if the story is rather bland, oh well.

Do you know what a second-hand opinion is?

Uh, yeah. I'm not stupid. What's wrong with what other people who have played the game say? They're free to have opinions too, you know.

PRIMARY SOURCE: Someone who was there at the time.

SECONDARY SOURCE: Someone who, regardless of their access to primary sources, ultimately was not.

PRIMARY sources are more valuable than SECONDARY sources.

You are, relative to this, a SECONDARY source.

Hehe. Well, to be fair to Furetchen, FE stories arent winning any Pulitzers anytime soon. Also, im not playing this game for its story. I cant speak for everyone else, but im finding the gameplay to be quite awesomesauce, so if the story is rather bland, oh well.

Honestly, I thought the America plot chunks in Modern Warfare 2 were on par with some of the best of Fire Emblem.

EDIT:

Uh, yeah. I'm not stupid. What's wrong with what other people who have played the game say? They're free to have opinions too, you know.

literally what furetchen said. I'm not trying to be mean, I mean this EDIT2: "this" means my experience playing call of duty with people who play call of duty /EDIT makes my opinion objectively more relevant than yours.

EDIT3: Let's couch this in slightly nicer language:

You literally cannot justify why Call of Duty is good or bad except by hearsay. I can back up my opinions on Call of Duty with experience.

Additionally, you have confirmation bias working against you while I do not. I know that Call of Duty is bashed by many and I know their reasons for bashing it. You seem to think that everybody hates Call of Duty and you don't seem to have made any effort to disprove that hypothesis. Statistically speaking, a hypothesis that is not disproved is, at best, a weak claim.

Edited by Integrity

Wait a minute, you're VERY confused here. I never said the series was bad myself. I said OTHERS said it was bad. I've never played it, so I can't form my own opinion.

I don't think everybody hates CoD either. Obviously there are people that like it.

Edited by Anacybele

Wait a minute, you're VERY confused here. I never said the series was bad myself. I said OTHERS said it was bad.

And others say it's good. Meanwhile, despite the fact that some people dislike FE, it's suddenly a treasure compared to 'probably trashy' CoD.

And others say it's good. Meanwhile, despite the fact that some people dislike FE, it's suddenly a treasure compared to 'probably trashy' CoD.

FE being a treasure is merely my opinion. I never meant to pass it off as fact. My apologies if it seemed that way.

Edited by Anacybele

Wait a minute, you're VERY confused here. I never said the series was bad myself. I said OTHERS said it was bad. I've never played it, so I can't form my own opinion.

and probably trashy series like CoD.

Cool job clarifying that when you said the series was "probably trashy".

I don't think everybody hates CoD either. Obviously there are people that like it.

Also, I've heard nothing but bad things about CoD. That it gets boring fast, it lacks a story, it's repetitive, and every game is exactly the same. And other things too, but I can't think of all of them off the top of my head.

Cool job clarifying that when you said that you've "heard nothing but bad things about CoD".

NOW

If you want to continue this semantical debate with me, feel free to PM me. I'm declaring this derail over, though. No more posting about Call of Duty or some other bullshit after this.

EDIT: This ultimatum isn't directed at Anacybele, it's directed at the thread at large.

Edited by Integrity

Honestly, I thought the America plot chunks in Modern Warfare 2 were on par with some of the best of Fire Emblem.

Yeah? I never played Modern Warfare games, so im not exactly sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. :):

Fine, I have no interest in continuing it anyway, seeing as people just won't get what I'm saying.

And it's a bad thing, Florina. I've heard that CoD has no story. But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I think FE has amazing storylines. Lyn's part in FE7 is rather boring, but other than that, yeah.

And it's a bad thing, Florina. I've heard that CoD has no story. But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I think FE has amazing storylines. Lyn's part in FE7 is rather boring, but other than that, yeah.

No more posting about Call of Duty or some other bullshit after this.

Hi. Did you miss this? I meant it.

So....

Even if the 3D effect for the 3DS is off it can still trigger seizures or what?

Its fricken expensive, people don't like it, and you HAVE to get one to keep updated. I would love to buy the new Fire Emblem, but I don't want to have to spend 200 dollars on something that only costs that much because of things I'll never use. And there really aren't many things other than Fire Emblem that I'd want on a 3DS

As for the "otaku" debate thats sprung up...

1) Yes, clothing is a huge issue in many games. Its demeaning and shouldn't be ignored. However, I actually think Fire Emblem is better than average in terms of character appearance. Where it suffers is its overused tropes/personalities. I like how Fire Emblem has managed to recycle character themes and still make them interesting, but at the same time definitely think there is room for improvement in character diversity/story elements.

2) The clothing in every single Fire Emblem game is impractical. Wearing a block on your chest but now chain mail, or having a shoulder pad and cloth armor, is just as impractical as Tharja's outfit, really.

3) Fire Emblem is a Japanese game. Its no surprise that the characters have an anime look to them.

I must say I do think this Fire Emblem looks like the best, and am excited to see what is to come in the future. I just sincerely hope they can break past the weird gender norms issues they have (Sully is a start, but PIEPIEPIE is a step in the wrong direction). I think FE can still do a lot with the combat system--make it more strategic. Lunatic Mode is just "LOL EVERYTHING IS HIGH LEVEL NOW" when it should really just be smarter AI and tougher strategy. I'd love to see enemies with supports, a pair up system, clerics who don't run into you, enemies that won't attack a paladin or will stay out of your range purposefully.

You can't rescue allied units in Awakening? Man, that stinks. I never did it very often in past titles, but I DID sometimes because I needed to.

Edited by Anacybele

Pair Up essentially replaces Rescue as a command, the difference being that the person wanting to be "rescued" has to initiate the pairing rather than vice versa, and the lead unit gets stat boosts instead of a massive penalty. Makes moving low level units into hotly contested areas to pick off kills then plucking them back out a lot harder, but is pretty much superior in every other aspect.