So why was Thracia 776 even made?

Jotari

I recently noticed that FE5 was released in September 1999, on the SNES. I didn't think much about this until I also noticed FE4 was released in May 1996, the Nintendo 64 was released in June 1996. So why did intelligent systems decide to start making a SNES game on the coneolse when it was already old when they started? Did they really just want to use that game engine one more time? It just seems somewhat baffling to just ignore the big new revolutionary console and continue working on the SNES when you've already made two (or three) games on it already. I haven't been able to find many sales records of the game but I do know it's one of the most expensive games to try and purchase now a days so I can't imagine it sold that well when Nintendo 64 was already over half way through it's life span. So why was it made? Why spend three years making a game that you know would be old when you started? Is there any particular reason IS just decided to outright ignore the Nintendo 64?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on a new console can be really difficult. Just look at Final Fantasy 7 and that'll tell you all you need to know about devs inexperienced with 3D modeling.

That being said, it's a practise that still happens. Pokemon BW2 was just released, and yet the 3DS has been out for a year. The GBA had releases all the way through 2006 even though the DS was released in 2004. Persona 4 was released fairly recently, yet the PS3 has been out for a while.

I do believe FE5 was one of the more rushed games; this is why is feels more like a beta than a full game (in my opinion, at least). I don't think they used the full 3 years. If I recall correctly, they were making something for the 64DD before Thracia 776 was released.

It seems Kaga just felt like making it for the SNES. He probably also had a different idea for FE64.

BTW, FE9 wasn't developed for the N64; that's a terrible piece of internet misinformation >___<

FE5 is probably a bit rushed, but I can't imagine how it'd feel like a beta. In terms of game content, it's no different from FE3 or FE6 really.

Edited by VincentASM

It just feels kind of unfinished, especially with how the story ends. There's a very strange lack of game balance, and the score feels unusually bland, too, especially compared to FE4. There's also that suspicious unused song, and a whole bunch of other stuff. i also think that they legitimately mixed up Ronan's str/mag growths

And even after all that, it's still one of the best FE games to date.

I bet that making it on the SNES would have been far easier than making an entirely new system on the n64, especially considering that they had Geneology as a jumping off point.

Edited by Constable Reggie

BTW, FE9 wasn't developed for the N64; that's a terrible piece of internet misinformation >___<

I've seen and read some compelling evidence that yes, at some point, even for just a short time, they were considering releasing the game on the N64 in Japan. Obviously they didn't, but they could have.

Opinions man. Because I think it's one of the worst, if not the worst FE game.

It does feel rushed but I wouldn't say it's comparable to a beta.

I don't know... The AI is pretty smart here.

I mean, you have ennemies exchanging items with each other. Show me another FE who do that

I don't know... The AI is pretty smart here.

I mean, you have ennemies exchanging items with each other. Show me another FE who do that

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Of course, the AI also has the bad habit of taking the Elixirs in a bosses inventory. But bosses die usually too fast for them to care anyway.

Edited by BrightBow

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Of course, the AI also has the bad habit of taking the Elixirs in a bosses inventory. But bosses die usually too fast anyway.

Ah.. I didn't play them...

But, for a SNES game, it really is pretty impressive.

I've seen and read some compelling evidence that yes, at some point, even for just a short time, they were considering releasing the game on the N64 in Japan. Obviously they didn't, but they could have.

Do you have a link (or even any idea where I could find this)? ^^

If it's compelling evidence, it shouldn't be difficult to find, but I've never seen it X D

Opinions man. Because I think it's one of the worst, if not the worst FE game.

It does feel rushed but I wouldn't say it's comparable to a beta.

You can't deny that no other game besides Awakening (which came 14 years later) has the depth in gameplay that Thracia does.

And the tightest atmosphere. I particular love it's really dramatic player phase theme as the enemy hunts you down in the early chapters.

The ending was lame, sure. But you have to consider that Thracia was limited by Seisen's storyline.

You can't deny that no other game besides Awakening (which came 14 years later) has the depth in gameplay that Thracia does.

4 had better gameplay. I'm not saying that it's bad by any means but I find thracia to be comparatively the worst. Granted I haven't played 1, 2 or 3....

But lets not get into that discussion.

If by better, you mean horribly unbalanced, a lot of time wasted moving units, and pathetically easy, then sure. You should at least give reasons why you think it's the worst game in the series. Thracia's new mechanics significantly changed the way you had to play and added layers of strategy. Fe4's strategy is basically "full speed ahead!"

If by better, you mean horribly unbalanced, a lot of time wasted moving units, and pathetically easy, then sure. You should at least give reasons why you think it's the worst game in the series. Thracia's new mechanics significantly changed the way you had to play and added layers of strategy. Fe4's strategy is basically "full speed ahead!"

Didn't I just say that worst doesn't necessarily mean bad in any way?

i liked fe5 but for reasons other than its gameplay

If by better, you mean horribly unbalanced, a lot of time wasted moving units, and pathetically easy, then sure.

if by "best game in the series" you mean "completely unreliable everything, repetitive strategies and also pathetically easy" then okay

see i can do that too

Unreliability is kind of the point, give examples of repetitive strategies, and it's only pathetically easy if you know how to abuse its system (ie every goddamn Fire Emblem). Fe4 hands you Sigurd, Holsety Levin, Shanan and Aless for free without expecting you to do anything. And when I said it was one of the best game in the series, I didn't also say only because of it's gameplay.

Because Thracia's difficulty obviously comes from the lack of powerful units. In a game where it's ridiculously easy to cap most stats by promotion.

If you're going to try and refute my points, at least try to have some merit behind them.

but look! these units cap better

and you're right, thracia's difficulty comes from bullshit unreliability that i would really rather not have to deal with

alt text:

"oh right because fe4's lack of difficulty is because they throw bullshit legendary weapons users at you"

you're not even citing the real broken units

Edited by CT075