The two choices in Chapter 7 of Thracia 776

BrightBow

This is something that wonders me ever since playing Thracia for the first time:

In chapter 7 of Thracia 776, August offers two choices on how approach this chapter: Run through the south or escape through the mountains in the west.

Personally I always ended up using choice Nr.3: Wait for the reinforcements and kick their asses right when they appear.

I can't see how those two other strategies are supposed to work.

When running to the south, I attract the attention of the mercenaries and I will be forced to kill Shiva.

And when I go through the mountains, I end up being Meteor food. Particularly Dalsim seems to be doomed either way.

Does anyone have an idea on how to approach this chapter in the spirit of August's advice and without suffering losses?

Edited by BrightBow

every time i used the 'stealth' method of this chapter (i can't think of a better word, i know taht's not actually the method but) i basically just had karin run all the way down to hannibal to trigger his reinforcements

There's also an option to defeat the Paladin Boss after he appears to stop the reinforcements or the sort of cheating way of putting a unit where he'll spawn and he'll simply not appear, either way you can go south and all you really have to deal with is 3 Cavaliers and the Sword Fighters.

I can't see how those two other strategies are supposed to work.

When running to the south, I attract the attention of the mercenaries and I will be forced to kill Shiva.

And when I go through the mountains, I end up being Meteor food. Particularly Dalsim seems to be doomed either way.

Does anyone have an idea on how to approach this chapter in the spirit of August's advice and without suffering losses?

Wait a turn before running south to get Shiva.

But really something tells me August couldn't give two fucks about losing Shiva or Dalshin.

Wait a turn before running south to get Shiva.

But really something tells me August couldn't give two fucks about losing Shiva or Dalshin.

Well, sure he doesn't care about him but the game designers wouldn't have you say things that mislead you on how to approach the chapter. Maybe Shiva's death is the price supposed to be paid for the south route but the route along the mountains doesn't seem to work at all.

I always end up getting completely wrecked by Meteor.

Edited by BrightBow

This is one of those chapters Thracia 776 has that's so awesome I played it several times before moving on to the next.

When heading directly south, Karin can fly over the mountains and distract Shiva. She usually has to take another merc or two along with Shiva, but with her ludicrous Spd/Lck, she has no problem surviving a turn or two, by which time Fin and Safy will be ready to draw their attention. There's also a convenient chokepoint if you just want to stall until Fin arrives.

When going west through the mountains, it's about killing the brigands as fast as humanly possible (asvel, brave sword, etc) so you can stay ahead of Meteor, and/or getting Fin/Shiva to the exit quickly. I actually left the archer and thief alive for quite a while because they don't block the path forward. Dashin needs Karin to rescue him at some point, since he can't even cross the mountains.

I put someone where the boss spawns because if I have the choice to deal with Meteor or not to deal with Meteor, not dealing with Meteor is always better.

Fin can just take every Merc by sitting on a forest or something then Safy jumps in and talks to Shiva, then it's just a leisurely stroll to escape. I take any breather chapter I can get in this game :I

if on any given turn, shiva is closer to fin than he is to a unit in your main group, he will go after fin instead (after you account for movement penalties and such)

so just wait, count your tiles closely, and then run south. if you do it right, you'll split the group of mercenaries and half of them will go after your main group and half will go after fin.

you can also stand on the tile the boss spawns on to stop his spawn

can't remember if it blocks the reinforcements or not though, its been a long time

Can't stop the very first wave (him + 3 cavaliers), unless maybe you block all 4 squares with your units. The rest of the reinforcements will only spawn if the boss is alive on-screen. I like to let him live for one turn, so more Rapiers will spawn for me to steal, then kill him. Can be risky, but a couple extra Rapiers is worth it IMO.

if on any given turn, shiva is closer to fin than he is to a unit in your main group, he will go after fin instead (after you account for movement penalties and such)

so just wait, count your tiles closely, and then run south. if you do it right, you'll split the group of mercenaries and half of them will go after your main group and half will go after fin.

I always do this.