Paralogue 18 (spoilers)

The Pope

Okay, this has been grating in the back of my mind.

How in the hell did Gangrel survive?

Like, I've looked at some of the other information on the other paralogues, and I can get how Paralogue 21's insertspoilerhere survived, but Gangrel? Didn't you kill him last you fought? How in the holy hell did he survive?

I don't think any of the Spotpass chapters are canon. They just exist to provide more characterization for a few more of the game's characters.

At least, that's how I rationalize it so I don't get angry about certain scenes losing their impact.

How would it not be "canon" if it was within the game? I mean, I could understand if it was in the Outrealm gate, but the fact that Gangrel can help beat the final boss, and no eyebrows are raised, just brings up too many questions.

Unless I'm missing a perfectly logical explanation somewhere, it takes a dump on a perfectly good story.

Which sucks, especially seeing how they made a logical and reasonable explanation for Paralogue 21's appearance of you-know-who, but they couldn't do the same here?

How would it not be "canon" if it was within the game? I mean, I could understand if it was in the Outrealm gate, but the fact that Gangrel can help beat the final boss, and no eyebrows are raised, just brings up too many questions.

Unless I'm missing a perfectly logical explanation somewhere, it takes a dump on a perfectly good story.

Which sucks, especially seeing how they made a logical and reasonable explanation for Paralogue 21's appearance of you-know-who, but they couldn't do the same here?

According to the official site Gangrel realized that Aversa was a spy, maybe this would urge him to hide in shame since he realized he could trust nobody.

Even then, none of the sidequests, except for 21 and 23, have any realistic explanations anyways, and the next sidequest (I think that's with the one with the certain sage) honestly makes me cringe in the lack of sense the sidequest has.

Emmeryn survives the fall? Really? I'm not trying to sound cruel but her staying dead would've given SOME MERITS for the plot, but nope, no merits whatsoever now.

Edited by Quick

Sometimes, I wonder if the belief that the boss always dies just because his/her HP reached 0 should stop...

FE has done it before (heck, this game's Chapter 3 boss also lives after defeat), but I suppose it's more clear when they're shown alive way sooner than in the case of most the Paralogue characters.

Emmeryn survives the fall? Really? I'm not trying to sound cruel but her staying dead would've given SOME MERITS for the plot, but nope, no merits whatsoever now.

I always thought that she had been pulled from a parallel universe (which would explain why she has no memories of her time as Exalt but I suppose we will wait for the thing to actually come out

Extra content like this is for people who care more about characters than about story consistency. That's pretty much all there is to it. It's not necessarily justified and it doesn't come with the expectation of being justified. Just like how you can get Lyon, Riev, Queen Ismaire etc. in Creature Campaign in FE8.

I always thought that she had been pulled from a parallel universe (which would explain why she has no memories of her time as Exalt but I suppose we will wait for the thing to actually come out

I remember reading the situation was that Naga revived her, but she came back memory-less. Also, her ending dictates she never made a full recovery. Depending how you see it, this softens the blow or actually makes it worse, since it means Emmeryn never truly came back, only a shell bearing her likeness that went to have her own separate life.

Regardless, this comes from the Japanese version.

I remember reading the situation was that Naga revived her, but she came back memory-less. Also, her ending dictates she never made a full recovery. Depending how you see it, this softens the blow or actually makes it worse, since it means Emmeryn never truly came back, only a shell bearing her likeness that went to have her own separate life.

Regardless, this comes from the Japanese version.

The thing that hurts. If you're playing Classic and you let her get killed. She remembers EVERYTHING. And mentions how sorry she is to Chrom in two lines.

I always just went with Naga revived them. Or something.

I just can't believe they're all actually alive, but just no one noticed. So I just like to think Naga thought they all deserved another chance (and by them all I mean the first two, Gangrel and Walhart, and the fifth, Aversa. Maybe she was just too late to totally save Emmeryn (or she was being a terrible person and wanted her that way)? And then Yen'fey is justified.)

I don't like that "non-canon" argument. No one says my husband isn't canon! angry.gif

The thing that hurts. If you're playing Classic and you let her get killed. She remembers EVERYTHING. And mentions how sorry she is to Chrom in two lines.

...D:

Oh, wow. Man, I bet that sucks for all parties...

Hm, what's the death quote as a NPC? :0 Same?

Edited by L95

I really just don't think it's cannon, or they're pulled from other timelines. There's no way they legitimately survived their "deaths".

The Naga reviving them thing doesn't make all that much sense unless it's not canon. Considering it's downloadable content as well, and not actually in the cartridge, I really think this gives the non-canon argument a lot of backing.

The paralogues aren't downloaded. They're in the game, just unlocked by connecting to the internet :E

No, they aren't. The characters are programmed into the game, but the chapters where you recruit them seem to be downloaded.

No, they aren't. The characters are programmed into the game, but the chapters where you recruit them seem to be downloaded.

Yeah, this is what I was inclined to believe, considering the character's icons show up in the support menu, but the chapters don't show up on the world map.

I guess you could make the argument that since the characters were designed to be in the game from the start it is canon, but...still seems sketchy to (technically) limit access to part of the story.

According to the official site Gangrel realized that Aversa was a spy, maybe this would urge him to hide in shame since he realized he could trust nobody.

Even then, none of the sidequests, except for 21 and 23, have any realistic explanations anyways, and the next sidequest (I think that's with the one with the certain sage) honestly makes me cringe in the lack of sense the sidequest has.

Agreed.

It's just too weird that some plot-importnat characters don't die after they're known to be dead. It's weirder if you consider the ones that don't die are mostly rulers. Do they have some sort of holy aura protecting them of what?

I don't mind seeing Aversa again and somewhat understand how Walhart is too strong to simply die. But Gangrel and Emmeryn should stay dead, because otherwise the first half of the game would mean nothing.

I always just went with Naga revived them. Or something.

I just can't believe they're all actually alive, but just no one noticed. So I just like to think Naga thought they all deserved another chance (and by them all I mean the first two, Gangrel and Walhart, and the fifth, Aversa. Maybe she was just too late to totally save Emmeryn (or she was being a terrible person and wanted her that way)? And then Yen'fey is justified.)

In Walhart's tale, he was basically too powerful to die.

Idk if anyone else has noticed this, but the map reminds me a lot of FE12's Chapter 1...the structure and everything (the fort in the middle, the mountains, the forests, the village on the right side of the map and the castle in the left) it's just a lot bigger than in FE12.