Weapon tier list

Espinosa

How would you tier the weapons at your disposal in this game, similarly to character tiers? Taking into account the weapons themselves, the opposition and their weaknesses and also the proficiency of the characters who are their users.

How would you tier the weapons at your disposal in this game, similarly to character tiers? Taking into account the weapons themselves, the opposition and their weaknesses and also the proficiency of the characters who are their users.

God Tier:

Forged Aversa's Night

Forged Celica's Gale

Awesome Tier:

Legendary Weapons(The good ones. Ragnell, Helswath, etc...)

Aversa's Night

Celica's Gale

Forged Braves

Forged Legacy Characters Weapons (20 might ;)

Forged Silvers

Scrub Legendary Weapons

Good Tier:

Brave Weapons

Silver Weapons

Scrub Tier:

Everything else

I was mostly referring to weapon types like axes, tomes etc. I think it's common sense that braves are better than irons and whatnot.

Oh.

God Tier:

Tomes

Staves(?)

Scrub Tier:

Everything else

I don't know how I'd rank them, but here are some of my thoughts on the weapon types.

Tomes: Hitting Res is always great, but the low Mt given by tomes balances it out. A tome-wielding Avatar obviously stomps almost everything with his/her massive level advantage, and those few units who don't get torched by magic (Valkyries, Paladins) can be dealt with via Dual Attacks: by the time those enemies appear, Avatar will have a high enough support with Chrom, whose Rapier obviously works nicely on Valkyries and Paladins, to give very good odds at nailing a single Dual Attack, especially if Avatar doubles the opponent. Nosferatu is a game-breaker on every difficulty setting (except for perhaps Lunatic+) and needs no further elaboration. Miriel and Tharja have nice offensive growths (60% in each of Mag and Spd), but I haven't used either as primary combat units and can't say too much about them; with enough investment, they obviously have a lot of potential, but the game provides offensive options who I think require less resource investment. Overall I would say that it's really Avatar's level advantage that allows him/her to do so well with tomes; the next highest primary tome-wielder on the posted HM tier list is Miriel at the top of B tier. I'm doing a restricted run in which Veteran is among the prohibited things, and have found tomes fairly weak after a certain point; without Veteran, Avatar's no longer a ORKO threat unless he/she receives a disproportionate amount of kills (his/her per-level stat growths are surprisingly average).

Swords: The game gives some pretty unique swords, my favorites being Amatsu, a 1-2 rng weapon which is limited to Myrmidons and Swordmasters, and Sol, which gives a Skl% chance at healing half the damage it deals (I wouldn't say either weapon would be all that practical for LTC runs, though). Sword users have a somewhat hard time in some of the late-game chapters since Wyverns will generally have Swordbreaker, which will turn dodgy-but-frail characters like Lucina into defensive liabilities if not fielded carefully. Still, some of the hardest hitting enemies are axe users without Swordbreaker. Lucina, with an infinite-use Silver Sword, is probably my favorite sword user; even if Avatar isn't her mother, she can reclass immediately to Myrmidon or Cavalier to increase her EXP growth rate for a decent amount of time. The early game features a lot of axe users, making it easy for Lon'qu and Chrom to contribute. The midgame has fewer axe users, but it still winds up being really easy to level up sword users since the enemies in the midgame are rather weak.

Lances: Probably my least favorite weapon type, as sword users are many times too fast for me to double. Forged Beast Killer is great, especially for OHKOing Valkyries, but forging it costs a fair bit of money, and there are only several chapters where it really saves turns (at least in my experience, anyway; I wouldn't be surprised to see a better player get by without the forge). The Gungnir is strong, and from what I've heard, very useful in HM LTC, though I suspect that in Lunatic LTC, it doesn't have quite as much a payoff since your lance user is going to be weaker. Sumia works great in Hard mode from what I hear, but on Lunatic, the only lance-user I field long-term is Cordelia for her higher Str growth.

Axes: Pretty solid weapon type, though I probably say this simply because of the axe-users I field (Panne and Frederick). Panne's high Skl means that she doesn't really worry about missing, while Frederick is obviously great in the earlygame. As for specific weapons, the Helswath (+5 Def) is comparatively less useful in Hard than in Lunatic since defense is less troublesome in Hard, but in both cases, it hits hard, if nothing else. Hand Axes are pretty solid throughout the game.

Edited by Redwall

God Tier:

Forged Aversa's Night

Forged Celica's Gale

Awesome Tier:

Legendary Weapons(The good ones. Ragnell, Helswath, etc...)

Aversa's Night

Celica's Gale

Forged Braves

Forged Legacy Characters Weapons (20 might ;)

Forged Silvers

Scrub Legendary Weapons

Good Tier:

Brave Weapons

Silver Weapons

Scrub Tier:

Everything else

Amatsu should be here. Above scrub tier, at least. Swordies don't have 1-2 range other than the Levin sword. Forged Nosferatu is also great, although a weaker Aversa's Night. Forged waste is also fun, especially since hit rates aren't a huge deal with all the supports

Edited by monkymeet

Doing what the OP actually wanted:

Axes

Swords

Lances

Bows

Tomes

*gasp* B-B-But but but! Nosferatu! Nosferatanking! Being able to beat Lunatic under a hour while blindfolded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I see, Nosferatu is like Awakening's version of Sedgar. Except I still want to know if Sedgar is a good character to use in a maximum efficiency H5 warpless

Nosferatu is more like Awakening's version of the Wing Spear. It enables things that would otherwise be insane.

Wolf/Sedgar are both amazing for Warpless H5 runs, if you can bear to take a few turns for training early.

... umm ... so is Nowi like the Wolf/Sedgar of Awakening?

There are similarities. They both have really high growths relative to their contemporaries, and an underwhelming start, but quickly become unkillable MVPs after a bit of training, and also activate the part of your brain that makes you feel like a degenerate creeper.

sounds about right

Yes indeed.

-Tomes

Has healing utility attacks Nosferatu/Aversa's Night and can attack any foe near and far.

-Staves

Mandatory in any war game.

-Axes

Often has good crit bonuses than nearly any other weapon in the game other than Thunder tomes.

-Lances

The Luna lance for one saves you a skill slot and that it overall has higher MT than swords.

-Swords

Only thing it is good for is thwarting axes in the weapon triangle.

-Bows

Only can attack at two range with the exception of the Double/Cross bows. But it is second to none when used through walls and such whenever ranged weapon enemies attack you through walls that they can't get to you.

Edited by Lady Feena

There are similarities. They both have really high growths relative to their contemporaries, and an underwhelming start, but quickly become unkillable MVPs after a bit of training, and also activate the part of your brain that makes you feel like a degenerate creeper.

That's true, show me one person who hasn't had a wet dream featuring Wolf and Sedgar.

Tomes- Magic is great in this game. Tomes of any rank can be forged, enemies have no res and innate 1-2 is never bad. Bonus marks for Nosferatu carnage.

Axes- High might, good 1-2 range options. Axes get better when Lances start showing up.

High

Swords- Very good in the first part of game when your in axe-land; held back by the rarity of 1-2 range swords.

Mid

Lances- Pretty blah in the beginning because we're in axeland, but becomes average as the game rolls on. Beastkillers are nice, but Javelins are a bit wimpy without forging. Bonus points for Fredrick using the Silver Lance to obliterate early-game swordies.

Low

Kitty Litter- Yes, Kitty Litter is much better than bows.

Bottom

Bows- Pure trash, only good for shooting down pegs.

I have to disagree. I very rarely use staves, and I'm doing fine. They are nice to have, but far from mandatory.

You can't say Fortify and Psychic hurt your gameplay