"Avatar" or "MU"

Florete

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you refer to your character?

I voted Avatar, but to be honest I do tend to use it interchangeably with Robin. Default names and all, which I do prefer using for most games. I used to say MU back in the dark days when we were waiting for the localization, but I hardly use it anymore.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

戦局を変える!

読みが甘いですか?

EDIT (hit submit too early): I use My Unit a lot, but lately I've been slipping and calling them "Avatar" out loud. D: Typing it out, though, will always be My Unit.

Edited by Faye

It depends on how lazy I am. Avatar when I'm trying to write semi-decently, MU when I'm just trying to be quick about it. Also, the specific genders are always 'FeMU' and 'Male MU'. And when I'm being specific about FE13/FE12 then it's Robin/Kris.

I generally try to adapt to localizations but sometimes I get lazy and Avatar doesn't shorten well okay :<

I have to force myself to say Avatar when I talk to people who never kept track of the Japanese translations. But when I type MU, I literally read it as a word and not syllables, which makes it that much faster for me to say. So I guess it just makes me sound like I'm imitating cows.

I go with Avatar & Robin (and plus that we can call Kris as "Avatar" in FE12 also, since they're both are the same gameplay mechanics, but both of them are different characters)

I actually kind of prefer "My Unit" because it's much more "this is a character you get to make", as opposed to Avatar, which implies, "this is supposed to be you". I resent the latter implication with the fiery hot passion of a thousand burning suns so My Unit it is for me.

I think they might use "Avatar" since its a term of creating a character in video games or other computer devices for the graphical representation of a user like such as the Avatar for Xbox consoles, Mii, etc.

Edited by King Marth 64

I think I will keep sticking to My Unit. Because that's all the is. A customizable unit.

Avatar obviously implies that he is an Avatar for the player. But since you can't express yourself in any way, I find this term to be immensely unfitting.

Edit: Come to think of it, the silent voice would have been helpful for this. That really should have been added.

Edited by BrightBow

I prefer Avatar simply because it isn't as Engrish-y as My Unit. And I know too many various Robins to use Robin and have people recognize who I'm talking about. It's a lot easier, especially since I'm a part of the Young Justice/Teen Titans/DC fandom and have five different "Robins" to keep track of.

I find it funny when people call someone else's avatar "My Unit."

Which is why I just use Avatar - it wouldn't sound corny when talking to other people about it.

I call the Avatar MU because I can use head canon or whatever to make the M stand for Main instead of My. "The Avatar" sounds like preppy english naming crap and I've been through way too much generic crap to even begin to prefer that. I'll call him/her the Avatar of Grima, but even that doesn't sit right with me when I say it. Emyuu gives me warm feelings. I like those. Not the choking and painful and dusty feeling I get from calling it Avatar. As for Robin, Rufure sounds better to begin with, but this character will be an unconfirmed mystery like Kris, so whatever.

I used to refer to him/her as Avatar all the time but when I saw people calling him/her MU I took to calling him/her that instead because it sounds better I guess.

While I did vote Avatar for this poll, I honestly think Robin would be the best choice for the fandom to adopt. The game uses it as the default name and it's gender-neutral.

I wonder why hardly anyone uses it.

While I did vote Avatar for this poll, I honestly think Robin would be the best choice for the fandom to adopt. The game uses it as the default name and it's gender-neutral.

I wonder why hardly anyone uses it.

I think it's because a lot of people want to put themselves into the game. So to speak, that's just my guess though.

Avatar, because localization and it makes a much better generalization. Also it's less vague in my mind (My unit? You mean any of the other people in my game or the specialized one?). Overall, "My Unit" just doesn't feel right to me.