"Avatar" or "MU"

Florete

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you refer to your character?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Avatar, since that's the proper name, but I'm not going to start rocking back and forth, muttering incoherently and tearing sheets of paper into one-inch strips, if someone calls the character "My Unit" in my vicinity. You only have so many keystrokes before you die, so if someone wants to shorthand "MU" and save the extra four letters for a curse word, so be it.

I call Reyson "Raisin". I refer to the game's first manakete as Neurosis Opposing Workshop Inspiration.

COME AT ME, BRO.

MU 'cuz I'm used to it from FE12 and it's shorter to type

This.

Although, really, it varies depending on context. I'll use "Avatar" and "My Unit" pretty much interchangeably, but I almost never use Robin, for the same reason as I almost never refer to video game incarnations of the heroes of Pokemon by their default names: In my opinion, these default names are mere placeholders for people who are too boring to make up their own name for the character.

I actually kind of prefer "My Unit" because it's much more "this is a character you get to make", as opposed to Avatar, which implies, "this is supposed to be you". I resent the latter implication with the fiery hot passion of a thousand burning suns so My Unit it is for me.

Edited by Starlight36

"My Unit".

I'm weeb. I play the Japanese version of FE13 more. Simply because there's no stupid Japanese voice bug to annoy the hell out of me when I reset from dying on Lunatic+.

Though when posting in the "I just want to know one thing!" FE13 help thread, I use it interchangeably. Just like how I say "Liz" and "Tiamo" out of habit sometimes when talking with my friends IRL about the game when referring to them.

Though I have to admit, I'm glad they changed it in the localization. "My Unit" sounds too Engrishy when thinking about presenting it to the North American Audience.

Checkmate MU'ers.

戦局を変える!

Edited by shadowofchaos

I use either Avatar, my avatar, my character or the name I gave them (Mel for the girl, Kieran for the guy). MU or My Unit sound kinda weird for me and I'm not really fond of the name Robin...

Robin, or Reflet in the JP version. I'm a fan of using default names. Just like how I'll call Zelda's Link, Golden Sun's Matthew, Mario Golf's Kid and PKMN's Red as such.

Though practically, I use MU more since Robin hasn't really caught up with MU or Avatar in terms of usage.

I cannot force myself to properly use "Avatar" by itself. Whenever I use it, it comes out as "the Avatar". ...Both ways annoy me.

That said, I use all 4 of these: Avatar/Robin/MU/Emyuu. MU and Emyuu are more for personal use; MU is quick and requires no thinking on my part (since I'm used to it), and "Emyuu" is my pet-name for MU. If it's something more professional—or as professional as info-gathering on a fansite can be—I try to use "the Avatar". Also, as weird as it is, I drop the "the" if I use "FeAvatar" or "MaAvatar" for something gender specific. Then, if it's actual dialogue, it's Robin. No way am I going to put "Avatar" as a name in dialogue; if someone wants it that way, they can change it themselves. ._.

...So, yeah, I use all of them. >_>; In terms of baseless opinions, I prefer "MU", with "Robin" being a very close second.

But what if my Avatar is actually named "MU" ?

Teehee, my first one is named Emyuu. x3

Edited by Tsamimi

• 4 weeks later...

Even though I voted MU, I say both MU and Avatar interchangeably from time to time. I dunno, both of them sound right to me, but I've never been able to choose between the two.

I choose "Option 4: Neither".

I mostly prefer saying "I or me" instead of Avatar/MU/Robin because technically that is you (the player). Also I don't like mentioning my own character in a 3rd person view really....

That's just me since I'm used to saying in a first person view for any "player character" such as MMOs and more.

I lied in my vote: I said Avatar, but realistically I called it the MU much more often. I think I'd like to say that I call it the Avatar, but when talking about it to other players, it just makes more sense to say MU, as its different for each player.