"Avatar" or "MU"

Florete

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you refer to your character?

From my observations, people have been interchangeably using the terms "Avatar" and "MU" (My Unit) for the created character in this game. I want to know which one the majority uses...and hopefully we can even begin to get rid of the less-used term to remove confusion and frustration.

Personally, I only use "Avatar" and it annoys the hell out of me to see anyone use the term "MU". The game (at least in English) never uses the term "My Unit," so its continued existence is just a product of fan translations. Additionally, "Avatar" can at least reasonably double as a name, but "MU" is just initials, two capitalized letters.

I included Robin since it's the default name the game gives and it would make sense for the fandom to use that name similar to how "Mark" occasionally gets used for FE7's tactician.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul.

EDIT: okay, okay, I actually usually refer to him as "my my unit" because the redundancy tickles the shit out of me. Similar: "your my unit" "specta's my unit" etc.

EDIT2: For clarity, I never use "my unit" on its own because I hate how it sounds. When I played FE12 (and avatar wasn't a thing) I did refer to him exclusively as Paul.

EDIT3: I'm going to put in an actual vote for Avatar because I like it more out of the choices.

Edited by Integrity

I like MU more I guess. Though usually I refer to my MU as their name ((for instance I always call my first one Dallas)) except for when I accidentally derped and named my female MU Libra forgetting there was already a Libra in this game... so I say MU because I like it more. Not that Avatar annoys me, people are free to say what they want. I'm of the same mind of the translations. Celice 4 lyfe

I refer to the MU in general as both MU or Avatar. When I'm talking about MINE specifically, I call the male by Robin and the girl by Iona.

It's all over the place for me!

When I'm talking about the unit in general (not just specific to my own file), it's 'Avatar'.

And when I'm talking to friends online about the unit in general, it's 'MU', aha.

Edited by TheBro

I dunno, but I personally find "avatar" a bit better... even though MU has probably been in use way longer. I think both will fit, but ehh... looks like MU is in the lead, haha.

I say Avatar because that's what the character is called in the English version. Simple as that. xP

Yeah totes because im not a weeb!

No seriously, Avatar is just one word and sounds cooler than My Unit, and much less cheesy.

Avatar. I never really liked "MU" as an abbreviation even before the English release of Awakening. "My Unit" only requires a few extra keystrokes, and "MU" reminds me of mumu which is just plain horrible.