Don't you just hate drinking soup/eating spagetti with others?

Junkhead

I do. Unless that person doesn't make much, if any slurping noises, or similiar. And I think I only have one or two friends who don't do that...then again, I usually avoid it in the first place.

I slurped spaghetti once a few months back and I quickly realized our love would be forbidden

In general the similar stuff I'm most likely to eat around other people is Noodles and Company egg noodles and cavatappi, so there's not really any danger there, but if it's self-prepared linguini or something with prego and parmesan everywhere, it is indeed kind of a trial to not look like a dingus

Wait really, they actually slurp that stuff elsewhere...? Quite personally, I've only actually ever saw that on TV, and cartoons at that. No one here that I've seen does it.

Wait really, they actually slurp that stuff elsewhere...? Quite personally, I've only actually ever saw that on TV, and cartoons at that. No one here that I've seen does it.

If a cursory search is good enough to confirm it, yes, in some parts of Asia, particularly eastern like China/Korea/Japan, it's allegedly an old sign of thanks for the meal to slurp while eating noodles. Not sure if it's the case elsewhere too, but one bit claimed that in Japan especially, the louder and more voraciously the slurping, the better. Though according to the same source, there's some cultural division on it, particularly between younger and older generations, as the former are starting to embrace our custom, and to consider eating them quietly a sign of sophistication.

On the other hand, allegedly nobody cares whatsoever if you slurp soup, at least hot soup. Gotta cool it down enough to consume somehow.

Edited by Rehab

It doesn't bother me, but I avoid slurping and eating noisily. Unless, of course, I'm intentionally trying to be obnoxious around friends or something.