Stupid things you've heard people say

Chiki

"I am the unique man." When you say "the," you're already implying something that's unique.

"Do you want this free gift?" Why say free when gift already means something that's free?

"sheer force of will" This might just be the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I'm posting this topic by the sheer force of my will, lifting my arm up, etc.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"PIN number": self-explanatory

"I could care less": this never made any sense to me. In the most extreme case of not caring, you should have someone who cares so little that he or she could *not* care any less.

Inb4 someone just quotes you...

That was the first thing I was thinking of doing when I saw who posted this. Really, I can just point at any Olwen post with either the words "ad-hominem" or "strawman" in it, and say "that".

Edited by Constable Reggie

"Do you want this free gift?" Why say free when gift already means something that's free?

To emphasize that it is free. It is common --or at least commonly believed by the average person-- for businesses to offer something as a gift, but require some form of compensation that the customer doesn't know about at the time.

"sheer force of will" This might just be the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I'm posting this topic by the sheer force of my will, lifting my arm up, etc.
But the force of will talked about is being applied to situations where will alone would generally not be sufficient. Thus, they accomplished their goals because they have such an overwhelmingly strong force of will.
That was the first thing I was thinking of doing when I saw who posted this. Really, I can just point at any Olwen post with either the words "ad-hominem" or "strawman" in it, and say "that".
I thought I was alone in thinking this. >______>
Edited by Esau of Isaac

"I could care less": this never made any sense to me. In the most extreme case of not caring, you should have someone who cares so little that he or she could *not* care any less.

I die a little inside every time someone says this...

"Let's go to the ATM machine."

FFS "M" already stands for machine.

"Hey Eli, wanna come sleep over my house?"

No, I'd rather sleep in your house. Thanks anyway.

"Uhh Eli, last time I checked, the sun was the sun. Not sure what stupid thing uou read that said it is a star."

:facepalm:

Dad on Thanksgiving morning: "Eli, go to the store and get some dressing, we're all out."

Me: "Alright."

*returns 30 minutes later*

Me: "I tried calling you from the store, but you never answered. I didn't know what kind you wanted, so I got Caeser, Italian, Ranch and Thousand Island."

Dad: "Eli, I meant dressing...dressing, like stuffing. C'mon Eli, you know that."

:facedesk:

"The tension is so thick, you could cut it with a knife."

If it was that thick, I imagine you WOULD NOT be able to cut it with something so simple as a knife.

Edited by Elieson

The metaphor in that last one is just "a thing that is usually intangible can almost be felt directly as if it had physical form"

I've never heard stuffing referred to as "dressing," though.

Dressing is a Southern term apparently. Like "Ya'll" or "Y'all", whichever it is.

And I'm the weird one for calling it stuffing.

Because you stuff a turkey with stuffing. You don't stuff it with dressing. Dressing goes on the outside, stuffing on the inside.

I hate when ppl on the forums use high vocabulary and quote saying stuff thats hard to understand and barely makes sense.......

I hate when ppl on the forums use high vocabulary and quote saying stuff thats hard to understand and barely makes sense.......

Add this to my list.

"Uhh Eli, last time I checked, the sun was the sun. Not sure what stupid thing uou read that said it is a star."

In this vein, I hate when people refer to other star systems as other "solar systems."

Add this to my list.

List of what? Am I in trouble?

Elieson's list was a list "stupid things you've heard people say."

What you said didn't... make much sense, so he said "Add this to my list," implying that what you said was... *coughstupidcough*

On a more serious note, there wasn't any "hard" vocab at all. Everything was perfectly understandable and made complete sense. At least to me it did.

But if your native language isn't English, then that's more understandable, I guess...

Edited by FranticforFreeFruityFruit

Here's one that I've heard a few time when working.

Customer: I'll take a bacon cheeseburger please.

Me: Do you want the combo with the fries and the soft drink?

Customer: No.

Me: Ok, that's gonna be 1,60$ please

Customer: Wait! I'll take a soft drink too.

Me: Ok, that's gonna be 3,38$ please

Customer: Wait! I'll take a medium frie too!

Me: So... you actually want the combo?

Customer: I guess?

Me: :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...

"You're (very) intelligent." Or "You're very well-spoken."

"You're good!" (Apologies to Makaze, who I like in spite of this) I also sometimes dislike it when people say I'm not evil.

"You're handsome."

Because I (think I) am introspective, I have issues with criticizing people for things they say that don't "sound out" through my own experiences.

One of the girls at my old school thought Hitler was a self-loathing Jew.

I don't think that's all that unintelligent. Hitler more or less considered the Jews a parasitic class that needed to be extinguished for the good of the Germans; Nazism brought on war and destruction and roughly countable people lost their lives as a result. I know there were positive dividends (medical science for example apparently pushed forward significantly) but somehow it's a little tough for me to purchase too quickly that a leader of his type was a great boon on the preceedings of the 30s and 40s.

I don't want to pursue this line too far though, because I fear to stir the pot with Godwins' laws too excessively. What I mean to say is that while it might be dumb or ignorant to carry on the rumor regarding an infamous leader's lineage that isn't even well-backed, as we say, "the truth is stranger than fiction."