Shipping Mafia - Rule 9a invoked for universal loss

eclipse

My role didn't change when scorri died. So far, the only person whose role has changed when their partner died (confirmed, anyway) is Blitz, and that was on a mislynch, i.e. daykill.

D1: Kay lynched (town) and Blitz (vig) changed to SK

D2: no lynch

D3: Strege lynched (town) and his partner (SB) was already dead

D4: where we are now

Nobody who has turned up dead has had their role changed due to nightkills.

---

Anyway, some analysis FMPOV:

-I know I'm town and Shinori is town. Nobody else is confirmed.

Either Elie is scum or he is town (assuming not ITP).

If Elie is scum, then Manix and Balcerzak are almost definitely town based on their votes, which leaves Cam as the last scum, not wanting to hammer his partner.

If Elie is town, then Manix and Balcerzak are probably scumteam and trying to get Elie killed for autowin.

Points in Elie's favor... Manix never directed us toward a scum lynch, and claimed that he was responsible for Xinnidy's kill although it was actually Blitz. Also, if it's him and Cam, why is he voting Cam? Best case for mafia, it switches from him to Cam and they're still down one. Unless he's trying to outguess us... Points against... well, I find Manix being scum just highly improbable. Nothing points to it.

The only teams that make sense are Elie/Cam and Manix/Bal. From Shinori's POV, it could also be Elie/me, I guess. From Manix's POV, if he's town then he sees Shinori as clear and probably Bal too based on his vote, leaving Elie/Cam or Elie/me. And if he's scum then he knows who the other scum is, either Cam or me or Bal, if Cam was scum he would have hammered, same goes for me. So if Manix is scum then it's Manix and Bal.

So if you trust Manix as town leader, then vote for Elie, and then me or Cam tomorrow...

##Vote Elieson

because I'm not his partner, I think it's Cam.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got way too much to do on a computer and fuck my eyes.

Hammer = half the living players, rounded up (plus one if there's an even number of players left)

My apologies for wording that wrong!

i thought that might be the case. anyway my points still stand in regards to elie and hammer and such.

also my role is proven and unless you think i'm a mafia one-shot vig who failed to read his own role PM, yeah.

Points in Elie's favor... Manix never directed us toward a scum lynch, and claimed that he was responsible for Xinnidy's kill although it was actually Blitz.

[spoiler=blitzlog][14:36] <Manix> okay i'll lay this down really simple. if you're a killing role, just shoot xinny tonight

[14:36] <Manix> that is all

[14:36] <Blitz> that works

[14:36] <Blitz> I was thinking Grass Bridge

[14:36] <Manix> i'd go for xinny over grass

[14:36] <Blitz> okay, you got it\

[14:38] <Blitz> but she ends up something like I bomb, I will be pretty pissed at you for killing me (this is a joke btw)

[14:38] <Manix> she's not a bomb, at least that's what was claimed

[14:38] <Manix> actually i got a better idea

[14:39] <Manix> shoot ether unless you really think he's town

[14:39] <Blitz> I think he is town

[14:39] <Blitz> Imo, he is rusty like I am

[14:39] <Manix> okay

relevant as heck btw

Cam (1): Elieson

Elieson (3): Balcerzak, Grassbridger, Manix

Not Voting (2): Cam, Shinori

Seriously? This is the SECOND time where there's enough non-voters to trigger a universal loss. Furthermore, both of them have posted in-thread, which tells me that they aren't busy. I have half a mind to modkill them, because this is really getting on my nerves. However, I also know that I'm slightly drunk ATM. Thus, I will lock this thread in twilight, and make up my mind tomorrow. If anyone (living or dead) has any suggestions, post them in your PM.

Okay, thanks guys! That helps!

As you turn to lynch Elieson, the room begins to shake violently. It doesn't take very long before chunks of ceiling start to fall. Manix pushes Elieson under a crumbling wall, and smiles to himself as the wall collapses on the lynch victim. However, it's the last victory he'll get, as everyone else, himself included, is buried in the resulting implosion.

"We have the data we need. The subjects are no longer necessary. Prepare the next round of experiments."

Due to rule 9a, this game has ended in a universal loss!

This really isn't fair to a lot of you, especially in the town, but this would be the second day in a row where both conditions were met. For those of you that actually put your hearts into it, thank you. Postgame will be up shortly, and I will TRY to keep this impartial.

Part 1: The HELL?!

I wanted a game where OC and NOC would be used together. I also wanted a game with a heavy de-emphasis on scumhunting by role ("hey, you're doc, you're town!") or flavor (because the information from the host, besides flipping deaths/other administrative things, should be minimal, IMO). Thus, this game, where role was determined by who was paired with who, which meant that stupid things like mafia doctors and town hijackers were possible. Originally, the oracle was some weird one-shot cop thing, but after a few simulations, it became clear that the mafia would never win with that. Oracles require the person in question to die, making it a slightly more even trade (kill yourself to clear/condemn someone else). The lynch bomb was originally a full bomb, but I figured that it was WAY too town-sided of a role. The Hooker was originally a one-shot BP, but those are no fun to play, and are also really town-sided. (sorry JB~!)

Numbers: 14 people - 3 mafia, one townie that converts to ITP depending on their role (explained further down).

During the DAY, the game is strictly NOC. During the NIGHT, the game is strictly OC.

RNG the entire player list as a priority list. Top priority gets their ships first.

Roles divided into four categories. Everyone gets 8 points total, with 4 being the highest in any given role. When a "ship" is made, roles are added up. The person with the LOWEST priority gets their preferred role (highest value), while the other half gets the next-highest value. I'll explain this with an example from the game later.

If two values are tied, then the priority is investigative/redirection/protection/killing; if the winning value has reached its cap, but the losing value has not, the losing value will be used instead.

Town may draw from three per category (four for investigative); anyone that goes over this limit will be vanilla instead.

Value table:

Investigative:

0-3: None

4: Oracle/Role cop (mafia only)

5: Tracker

6: Watcher

7+: Full cop

Redirection:

0-2: None

3: Martyr

4: Driver (if two drivers are generated, they become co-drivers instead)

5: Hijacker

6+: Non-consecutive nexus (only one can exist!)

Protective

4: Safeguard

5: Hooker

6+: Doctor

Killing

0-4: None

5: Hunter

6: One-shot vig

7+: Day vig

Mafia kills (only one can exist; otherwise, they get the next one down/up):

4: Lynch bomb (explodes on the person that hammers)

5: Janitor

6+: Hitman

EXAMPLE:

scorri's number was 4121. Grassbridger's was 0341. When the two numbers were added together, it came out to 4462. scorri was first on the priority list, meaning that she gets Grassbridger immediately. Since roles get assigned in reverse, Grassbridger gets first crack at the roles generated by the numbers. 6 is the highest number, and in position 3, so he becomes a Doctor. The next-highest numbers are in positions 1 and 2, but given the tie-breaking rules, the number in position 1 will be used. A 4 for investigative yields Oracle. Thus, Grassbridger becomes a doctor, and scorri becomes an Oracle.

The characters themselves were somewhat important. Here's the general gist of where they came from:

Investigative: League of Legend carries (and Teemo because someone drew watcher)

Redirection: Dept. Heaven characters

Protective: Valkyrie Profile characters

Killing: fighting game characters (I'm so generic)

Mafia special kills: Faize (janitor) and Arumat (hitman) (Star Ocean 4 elf/Vulcan guys)

"So what was up with Blitz's role PM?!"

The FIRST town-sided person to lose their shipping partner would have their role PM and win condition altered. What they changed into depended on what group their role fell in. If a mafia person lost their shipping partner, nothing would happen. This was put in to ensure that whoever got this role would have some history as "acting town" to help them out.

Investigative: Malzahar takes over, and the townie in question turns into a cult leader that wins on parity (and due to numbers, recruits every other night). Fairly straightforward, and requires the most luck to win with.

Redirection: Nessiah appears, and wins when he successfully predicts a lynch and a kill (that means he predicts the night's kill during the day, and the day's lynch during the night). This role had the potential to REALLY screw over both sides.

Protective: Lezard Valeth replaces the unfortunate townie, and he'll specify a person and longish word. If his target uses the word during the day, they drop dead. He wins if he can kill a townie and mafia member in this way. By far the hardest role to win with.

Killing: Whoever it is keeps their character, but they convert to a serial killer with a perk depending on who their partner was (investigative gets to replace a kill with a full cop once, redirection can redirect their victim's action once, protective gets a one-time non-killing shield). Not the easiest role to win with, but if done correctly, can wreck the town in a hurry.

Everything specific to this game coming in the next post.

Part 2: Stuff specific to this game

Priority list and numbers (dashes indicate where top/middle/bottom are):

scorri - 4121

Ether - 1430

Kay 2222

Shinori - 1241

-

Strege - 3014

Elieson - 2132 (mafia)

Camtech - 4112

Bananas - 2123

Grassbridger - 0341

-

Manix - 1403

BBM - 3212

Balcerzak - 3311 (mafia)

Xinnidy - 1223 (mafia)

Blitz - 1124

This means that scorri gets her shipping partner first, but Blitz/Kay get their roles first.

Lists:

scorri: Grassbridger, Manix, Balcerzak, BBM, Elieson

Ether: Balcerzak, scorri, Shinori, Manix, Blitz

Kay: Blitz, scorri, Elieson, Strege, Xinnidy

Shinori: scorri, Balcerzak, BBM, Manix, Ether

Strege: Elieson, BBM, Grassbridger, scorri, Manix

Elieson (Strege)

Camtech: Bananas, Xinnidy, Shinori, BBM, Elieson

Bananas: (Camtech)

Grassbridger: (scorri)

Manix: scorri, Bananas, BBM, Blitz, Balcerzak, Xinnidy

BBM: (Shinori)

Balcerzak: (Ether)

Xinnidy: (Manix)

Blitz: (Kay)

Role generation based on the above:

Blitz/Kay: 1124 + 2222 = 3346 (Blitz gets one-shot vig, Kay gets safeguard)

Xinnidy/Manix: 1223 + 1403 = 2626 (Xinnidy gets non-consecutive nexus, Manix gets one-shot vig)

Balcerzak/Ether: 3311 + 1430 = 4741 (Balcerzak gets the worst possible luck and becomes vanilla, Ether gets Oracle)

BBM/Shinori: 3212 + 1241 = 4453 (BBM gets Hooker, Shinori gets Oracle)

Grassbridger/scorri: 0341 + 4121 = 4462 (Grassbridger gets doctor, scorri gets Oracle)

Bananas/Camtech: 2123 + 4112 = 6235 (Bananas gets watcher, Cam gets hunter)

Elieson/Strege: 2132 + 3014 = 5146 (Elieson becomes non-consecutive hitman, Strege becomes vanilla due to overflow rules)

Characters and clues:

Blitz - Sacchin/Satuski (blonde)

Kay - Lawfer (someone with a Japanese name)

Xinnidy - Elena (someone with a four-letter name; BTW I screwed this up because I didn't check a wiki, so sorry!)

Manix - Shion (KoF) (someone who wields a crossbow)

Balcerzak - Cruz (someone with long brown hair)

Ether - Caitlyn (someone very unlucky)

BBM - Darius (CotP) (someone with a sad past)

Shinori - Vayne (someone that sounds like they came from the same universe as you, but is actually from somewhere else)

Grassbridger - Shiho (someone shorter than you)

scorri - Kennen (someone who sings)

Bananas - Teemo (someone who uses explosives)

Cam - Leona (KoF) (someone who uses traps)

Elieson - Arumat (fake: Necro, bomb) (someone who's known for giggling)

Strege - Tristana (someone who isn't human)

Some clue explanations:

Tristana: Use her Q, and she giggles.

Leona: She buries grenades into people's midsections and blows them up.

Teemo: That mushroom is a trap (so is Shion, so bleh)

Cruz: He starts with a relatively low luck stat, and takes four levels before he gains more naturally. I usually rig one of his early MVPs to give him luck so I can do something with him (besides Canossa Road bait).

Vayne: If having your parents tortured and killed in front of you while you're a little girl isn't depressing, I don't know what is.

Arumat: I can't be arsed to look up the official name of his race, but those pointy ears do NOT belong on a human.

The clues were worded in such a way that it would apply to several characters (including the singing one; Necro sings when he wins). I kept the pairings straight because I really suck at writing anything other than that. This was included so that you'd have an excuse to talk to each other! Knowing your shipping partner wouldn't really affect much, other than the first townie to lose theirs (and even then, a little bit of creativity could probably avert suspicion).

Priority:

Nexus

Safeguard

Hooker

Martyr

Hijacker

Driver

Hunter/Doctor/Oracle/Full Cop

Killing actions

Watcher/Tracker

Now, the two things you have been waiting for - early flavor and postgame analysis!

"Fourteen people," Satsuki commented idly. Some looked strange, while others looked scary. She stepped away from a muscular man with a scythe, and bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry!" she blurted out. The man she bumped into smiled.

"It's no big deal," he replied softly. "Say, what's your name? You seem nice enough."

"I--I'm Sacchin," Satsuki stammered out.

"I'm Lawfer. We're supposed to submit some sort of partnership, right?" Satsuki nodded. Much to her amazement, his face went red.

"Well, uh, do you mind. . ." he stuttered.

"B--be your partner?" she finished. They looked at each other and laughed. They'd make a great team!

---

Elena observed the crowd from a shadowed perch. The people below didn't even notice her. They weren't worth her time.

"My, my, you seem lonely," a smooth voice from behind her purred. She jumped and faced the voice.

"I--I'm sorry miss!" she exclaimed. The person's shoulders heaved with laughter.

"And here I thought you were an observant one!" the 'woman' grumbled. Elena did her best to squeak out an apology.

"My, I almost forgot to give you my name. I'm Shion, and I will be keeping a VERY close eye on you, sweetie~!"

"...help..."

---

"Ooh, what's this? It looks delicious!" Cruz thought to himself, as he eyed the treat on the ground.

"What do you think you're doing?" a sharp voice snapped at him. Cruz turned to face the woman who stood behind him. His eyes were drawn to her hat, her clothes, and the strange contraption she held, in that order.

"I'm willin' to try any food once!" he said proudly. The woman's face registered something between disgust and familiarity.

"Damn you for looking like him," she mumbled.

"'scuse me?"

"You look like someone I know. Name's Caitlyn," she said abruptly.

"I'm Cruz! I've gotta beat down the Empire and avenge my friends!" he exclaimed. "I'm hungry! Do you have any more of those snacks?"

"Wait, you ATE that?!"

"It's food--urk, why do I feel so woozy?"

"I don't believe you," Caitlyn grumbled.

"...no friend of mine would poison food..."

---

They caught each other's eyes at the same time. There was no mistaking it - the other was of noble blood.

"Milady, shall we stay together?" Darius asked.

"Hmph, you're probably the best I can hope for in this rabble," Vayne replied. She eyed the rapier at his hip. "Do you use a dagger with that damnable sewing needle?"

"Do you need help with that crossbow on your back?" Darius shot back. A smile played at the corner of Vayne's lips.

"We will get along just fine."

---

"Oh my gosh, sing it again, SINGITAGAIN!" Kennen yelled.

"Where are you?" Shiho demanded. "I'll not sing for someone who I can't locate!"

"I'm right here!" Kennen answered.

"How can you be all over the place at once?" the exasperated girl snapped.

"I'm the Heart of the Tempest, and running is my specialty~!"

"...why me?"

---

"That smell," Leona grumbled. With one swift motion, she grabbed Teemo out from his hiding place, and brought him up to her eye level.

"Uh, hi?" he said tentatively.

"Why have you been following me," she demanded.

"You look like you could be a threat," he squeaked out. "You do not move like a regular human." Leona dropped him in shock.

"You might not be as useless as you sound," she growled.

"Does that mean you'll work with me?" he asked.

"...whatever."

---

"We're the last two people here," Tristana noted.

"Hmph," came Arumat's grumpy reply.

"We'll have to team up."

"What good are you, runt?" he demanded.

"I don't get on people's nerves the minute I open my mouth."

"...note to self, she'll die first..."

Player notes:

Kay - The town didn't think she was scumhunting enough, and decided to lynch her over Strege the Claimed Vanilla. I think actively responding to points while pushing your own case will help in the future!

Bananas - Talked to the entire mafia on N0. Wound up claiming publicly in-thread, which was the cause of his demise.

Ether - The opinions of him ranged from very scummy to not scummy. Was shot by Manix for whatever reason. I felt that he should've been asked to target someone else if he was going to be shot. It was a waste. Be a bit more aggressive in-thread, and you'll be fine!

Blitz - Manix thought he was scum while he was town. After Kay's lynch, decided that Blitz would make a good testing dummy for Xinnidy. If you're SK, you can get away with not following directions for a night and claim that you were redirected! It's better than shooting yourself at night!

Xinnidy - Made the mistake of claiming the kill reflection, which didn't end so well. Probably should've kept that part to yourself!

BBM - Was really active, claimed to Manix early, and died because Bal didn't update his action (scorri was going to be shot).

Strege - It was him or the game. Sorry, man.

scorri - She was supposed to die N2, because of the cop soft claim. It's a decent strategy, but one that can be very easily weaseled out of (have the person you softed to "accidentally" soft it to another townie, then cause mayhem).

Elieson - At this point it was PoE, and his in-thread reactions weren't the best. Was also busy, so wasn't hugely active.

Balcerzak - His activity was spotty, but his reactions were "genuine" enough to keep the lynch off of him. Had he actually gotten a role (instead of the absolute worst luck in the game), I think he would've been able to pull off a win for the mafia. MVP, because Xinnidy died quite early, and Elieson was busy with RL stuff.

Grassbridger - Wisely did not announce his role to everyone, which meant that the mafia's attention was never on him. For a first-time, I'd say he did pretty well!

Manix - Went town leader, then decided to have an Oracle claim target Xinnidy N1 while shooting him (have him target someone scummy or yourself instead). Other than that questionable course of action, I'd say he did well, especially given his personal circumstances. I was quite amused with his reaction to the number of Oracles in the game. MVP for the town!

Cam/Shinori - The reason why this game ended the way it did. Don't fucking sign up if you don't wanna play.

Alternate strategies:

- Have Cam target an oracle and lynch him. You'll get a guaranteed oracle reading.

- Lynch the oracles for more guaranteed clears/lynch targets.

- Turn scorri into the town leader and have Grassbridger elsewhere :P:

If I ever do anything like this again:

- Maybe make the role list public, but ban number sharing

- Redo all the numbers/roles, because this wound up WAY too town-sided

- I figured that 10/4 would be far too harsh on the town; any thoughts on this?

Random awards:

Favorite flavor flavor: Cruz

Favorite role flavor: Shiho

Cutest ship flavor: Satsuki/Lawfer

Creepiest ship flavor: Elena/Shion

eclipse's favorite ship flavor: Caitlyn/Cruz (because I can see both of them acting that way)

WTF is humor ship flavor: Darius/Vayne (alternately: in-universe most havoc-wreaking ship flavor)

Funniest ship flavor: Kennen/Shiho

Most abusive ship flavor: Leona/Teemo

Hardest ship flavor: Tristana/Arumat (I cannot imagine those two holding a conversation, let alone a shipping!)

Town MVP: Manix

Mafia MVP: Balcerzak

Most amusing move: Xinnidy/Blitz anti-town disaster thing

Worst luck: Balcerzak being the second non-consecutive nexus (i.e. vanilla)

Best luck: BBM dying on N2 instead of scorri (Manix had pretty much cleared him)

Most amusing visualization: Shiho singing for Shion, followed by Arumat dealing justice to Teemo

Ether just told me that he used his own volition to target N1. That's. . .uh, why you organize things with everyone in OC. :P:

Well woo :/ that was strange. I'm admitting this now.

Eclipse, your set up is confusing as fuck, even with an explanation.

I apologize for y suck activity. It resulted due to my ex stealing my phone for a weekend, and then my phone screen cracking and losing web connection functionality.

Personally I think it's kind of dumb that a faction can get a universal loss when they aren't voting, although I guess giving the mafia the win when one of their own was about to be lynched isn't really fair either. idk

Also how was I expected to assume that Strege!tristiana giggles?

Strege told me that he didnt giggle. *sigh

I forgot that phase end was then, I also had thought 3 was the hammer for a while so I didn't want to vote. Then I got busy on the last day for phase end because I had a temp job for the entire day, I then got home and ended up crashing cause I haven't been sleeping much lately. Life made me forget about mafia for a few days. Apologies.

Personally I think it's kind of dumb that a faction can get a universal loss when they aren't voting, although I guess giving the mafia the win when one of their own was about to be lynched isn't really fair either. idk

Both people not voting were townies. Had I invoked my original plan (modkilling them both), mafia would've won.

Now, since my system is confusing as all hell, lemme boil it down.

1. Figure out shipping partners, from top down.

2. Add numbers together. It'll come out to ABCD

3. Reverse the priority list.

4. Find the highest value out of A, B, C, and D. A stands for an investigative role, B stands for redirection, C stands for protective, and D stands for killing.

5. Match the value found in step 4 to the handy-dandy chart in the mechanics post, under the appropriate category.

6. Find the next-highest value of A, B, C, and D. Use tiebreaking rules as necessary.

7. Do the same matching as with step 5.

8. Create stupid flavor and send out role PMs.

Like I said I apologize. I saw the hammer statement being CORRECTED from 3 to 4 cause everyone had been saying it was 3 all day which is what made me wary to vote in the first place. But when you made the statement I went to sleep shortly after. Woke up the next day, cleaned a bit got ready for work, went to work, got home at about 6, did shit around he house(Mainly involving my siblings), then played like 1 league game and ended up crashing cause I had to work earlier today than yesterday. So I completely forgot that phase was ending that night/morning since it ended at like 4 am for me.

I apologize. I'm sorry.

Aw, that's a shame. I had fun playing and watching this game for what was worth.

Having enough time to focus on the game for once, I sure enjoyed playing and self-analyzing this time, but it was my mistake to present to the town leader as a bombvariant, which he took for disposable~

It's funny that me and BBM figured out that shinori was actually Manix's red herring and I was his actual partner in the graveyard. After my efforts and complete failure of a search during night 1. ;n;

I didn't get to do much, but pulling a lynch when there was a vanilla claim and nobody on the Kay lynch was mafia was too amazing to pass up, and I loved the few times it confused town even after I died~ It could have helped mafia win through mylo maybe, if shinori wasn't cleared, so I was a bit disappointed at that. The cop fakeclaim by scorri was very clever, though.

I tried my best to look townie and knew that scorri was suspecting me, but I was usually too tired to try to make a stand whenever I talked to her n1, so I decided I'd just try to look better N2. I did realize Blitz was onto me when we talked, but I didn't expect him to have a killing role at all, I really expected Manix would be the only non-mafia killing role, and wouldn't shoot me anytime because I claimed a bombvariant. Ooops.

Permission/Petition to drop the graveyard link here?

also in regards to my possibly questionable logic confirming elie as maf d4: votes are powerful things, and noting the full circumstances of votes can be powerful at mylo/lylo.

also why was i not deded n3 when the hitman came back up?

You were a functional vanilla while a cop claim was up in the air and there were hints about the doc around. The thought was to go for the threatening roles instead. That didn't work out very well.

That's what I got, anyways.