Has there every been an form of media in where the villain wins?

IceBrand

This is a bit difficult in regards to spoiler. How can I use spoiler tags, when the name of the work itself would be a spoiler in this case?

Anyway, Blizzard loves those.

Kerrigan won at the end of StarCraft: Broad War and Arthas and the Lich King at the end of WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne.

Also, the Orks canonically won in the first WarCraft.

And the book version of The Hitchhikes Guide to the Galaxy series ends with an hell of a downer ending. But the villains who win, technically don't have a presence.

Unless you consider the Guide MK II the villain.

Edited by BrightBow

Doctor Who: Victory of the Daleks.

I believe the Star Wars franchise has some games where you can chose the dark side of the force(KotoR?).

There's also the prequel trilogy and The Empire Strikes Back, where the Dark Side/Empire wins.

Oh, and one of the canonical splits in the Zelda timeline happens because Ganondorf defeats Link.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

There's probably some huge lists out there containing examples of that kind of ending, yeah, though you'll have to dig through a lot of instances where the villain only sort of won, if you're looking to find one where there was a definitive EVIL RULES TAKE THAT MAIN CHARACTERS instance where everything is played straight (like the villains aren't actually-kinda-not-that-bad) and the villains don't lose in any sense whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if you just got a ton of results by just pasting the question into a search engine.

Edited by Rehab

It has happened twice so far in Magic: The Gathering in the Shards of Alara and in the Scars of Mirrodin blocks.

I'm a pro wrestling fan and the bad guy wins all the time (if that counts).

Mass Effect 3 - I'm not going into details but you can mess up pretty... pretty bad.

Ogre Battle 64 - You can win the game initially. However, if your Chaos Frame is too high the Infernal Aura (the evil you have been fighting) comes back and takes over the kingdom.

Ogre Battle 64 - You can win the game initially. However, if your Chaos Frame is too high the Infernal Aura (the evil you have been fighting) comes back and takes over the kingdom.

I'm impressed someone other then myself on this site has played OB64 [one of my favorite games of all time]

Blizzard loves this concept as Brightbow said already Just look at Starcraft and Brood War. The heroes have to pull out all the stops just to get BITTERSWEET endings but by brood wars time.. Well it doesn't go so well for the majority of them. And Diablo 1. The hero ends up jamming a soulstone into their head making Diablo 2 happen and all 3 heroes of the previous game become bosses who have gone absolutely mad.

Another non blizzard example is Soul Nomad and the World Eaters. The Demon Path.. Good lord..

Edited by Jedi

Ganondorf takes over in Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Like, offscreen, in a separate timeline. In the actual game he clearly loses.

Edit: Come to think of it, is this topic specifically about them winning or about them coming out clearly ahead in the end?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Just gonna throw this out there:

The Wicker Man, Nick Cage Version. Seriously, this is either the best worst movie ever made or the worst best movie. I'm not sure which. Either way, this will have you doubled over and the "bad guys" win. What more can you ask for?