Any good movies/animes/etc. where you get a truly BAD end/EVIL wins, etc.?

Raven

Just curious. Because everything I watch it seems like there was some sort of happy ending, regardless of what happens throughout the movie/anime.

Even when I thought the end couldn't get any worse, everything turns out for the best (See Clannad ~After Story~). It's nice and all, but it would be interesting to see the bad truly win once in a while.

Anything?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World didn't exactly have a happy ending, though it was all right.

Death Note, depending on which side you support, had either a great ending or a shittastic ending.

Elfen Lied had a shitty ending, IMO.

Cowboy Bebop, it had a pretty bad ending too IMO.

Air had a lousy ending too.

If you specifically want an ending where something bad happens to the protagonist, look at those. If you want an ending where the bad guy wins, I doubt you'll find any anime of note, but if you do then let me know.

Just curious. Because everything I watch it seems like there was some sort of happy ending, regardless of what happens throughout the movie/anime.

Even when I thought the end couldn't get any worse, everything turns out for the best (See Clannad ~After Story~). It's nice and all, but it would be interesting to see the bad truly win once in a while.

Anything?

I was going to mention the Berserk anime which ended in a really really evil way, but it seems you've already watched that.

If you're into military stuff, there's Jinroh : The Wolf Brigade (which doesn't have any manichaeism, but let's say it doesn't really end on a positive note.)

Edited by Marthur

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World didn't exactly have a happy ending, though it was all right.

Death Note, depending on which side you support, had either a great ending or a shittastic ending.

Elfen Lied had a shitty ending, IMO.

Cowboy Bebop, it had a pretty bad ending too IMO.

Air had a lousy ending too.

If you specifically want an ending where something bad happens to the protagonist, look at those. If you want an ending where the bad guy wins, I doubt you'll find any anime of note, but if you do then let me know.

Ah I watched Air and Elfen Lied, but that was so long ago I've forgotten how they ended, exactly. I also re-watched Death Note a couple of months ago. I wasn't sad about the ending itself, just sad that it did end. I was saddened by L's death, however.

Haven't seen the others you've listed, but I'll look into them when I've got time.

I was going to mention the Berserk anime which ended in a really really evil way, but it seems you've already watched that.

If you're into military stuff, there's Jinroh : The Wolf Brigade (which doesn't have any manichaeism, but let's say it doesn't really end on a positive note.)

I was going to mention Berserk in the OP, but I figured it's not worth it since it's only the end of a single arc and not the whole series. But an arc ending very badly does count, I suppose. Pretty shocking stuff indeed.

Yeah Klok, watch Berserk if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed with how it ends.

Edit: @Bal: Haven't watched or even heard of those. Are they good watching?

Edited by Raven

Like Klok suggested, you should watch Cowboy Bebop. Personally it's one of my favorites, and it's kinda what you're looking for. Also (depending on how you interpret it) Eva doesn't have the best ending as well.

Though not quite the same as the previous two I mentioned, maybe 5 cmps fits into the criteria (I don't remember it completely because I watched it years ago, but I recall it being pretty sad).

Bokurano is amazing watching, and though I don't think it honestly counts as an "evil wins" ending, as the actual goal was fulfilled, it was pretty much the definition of a Pyrrhic Victory.

Kaiji season 1 definitely counts as "evil wins", but the existence of S2 may mitigate that. Kaiji is a very entertaining show about gambling, by the same guy who did Akagi. It does suffer, IMO, from some pacing problems, but that may just be me. Definitely worth watching to form your own judgement.

Bokurano is amazing watching, and though I don't think it honestly counts as an "evil wins" ending, as the actual goal was fulfilled, it was pretty much the definition of a Pyrrhic Victory.

Bokurano! Nobody wins! I really need to watch the anime, but I've already read the manga. Deadman Wonderland might be worth a watch, even though it's only one arc, since it's a pretty stinky ending for the good guys.

Well, I'm not completely sure about this, but I think that Ideon might have an ending where the good team and the bad team both get annihilated...

Zeta Gundam also ends on a bad note for the protagonist that I don't think has been "fixed" in any animated Gundam series, though I think some novels/manga have made things better for him. The good side still wins the conflict in that show...

Nadesico's motion picture, "The Prince of Darkness", doesn't really have the evil side winning, but also has a kind of sad ending for the main character of the series.

Gundam 0080 does end up with Zeon's most evil plans being foiled, but it's not exactly a happy ending either.

In a way, you could say that Shin Mazinger Z ends like this, with everything going to shit. (Though that would be basically canceled out if Shin Great was ever made, it won't be so you can just pretend it's a DEAD END.)

Devilman, IIRC, really old show.

Sort of Ashita no Joe, though I don't expect a lot of people to have watched that. It's complicated.

I guess it's a more extreme version of Rocky I's ending than truly a Donny Downer, though.

Edited by Rehab

Star Wars Episode III lol.

Sunshine kind of, depending on how you approach the movie (plot v. characters).

I don't really watch any anime at all now, and only really watched a few series several years ago, but Evangelion is maybe kind of sorta a bad ending. Kind of depends on how you look at it I guess.

I hear the brother grimm stories have sad endings

I have the complete Grimm fairy tales, and while they start off sad/bad most of them turn out for the best. Only a handful of them (at least the ones I've read) truly turn out sad/bad.

I was going to say watch all of Clannad and downright stop at the end of ep 21 of After Story, but...

I would have had so much more respect for the series if they were ballsy enough to just end the story there.

Try True Tears, short, and

someone gets super shafted at the end with no comeuppance. Pissed me right off.

Would books count? Because the recent Song of Ice and Fire books may fit this. Another series where good doesn't triumph is The First Law; however, that book series was never about good versus bad but to try to prove that all the fantasy stereotypes are actually grey (but basically, everyone is in a terrible position when the series ends).