Most loved character

Camilla

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually when I think about it, Chrom is my least favorite character in Awakening follwed by Lucina. (I only use Chrom because I have to and Lucina because she's a good unit) I mean, honestly to me Chrom felt like a FE9 Ike rehash done poorly.

Pretty much. Ike was put in situations that highlighted his character arc, while Chrom is basically the same character from start to finish, part of the issue being Awakening's subpar plot.

For example, an obvious change would be to make Chrom's reaction to Emmeryn's death different. Instead of being a typical "omg gangrel you jerk i avenge emm in 2 chapters like a badass im sad for like 3 seconds but lolol friendship" lord, show some actual, longtime despair, sadness, hatred, anything that deviates from his typical attitude. Ike was completely blinded by rage by his father's death, which made his encounters with the Black Knight much more interesting. Emm's death was a complete and total afterthought, when it should have been something significant enough to shake the rest of the plot. Don't kill off Gangrel a whopping two chapters after her death..

Edited by Constable Reggie

The game's plot is a bit rushed... it's like three different games at once. Now, if they had focused on the war with Plegia, I'm fairly certain they could have expanded on Chrom's emotions like that. And some people take to certain events differently - maybe Chrom handles tragedy by dealing with the problem as swiftly as possible and then moving on, while Ike takes a little bit longer. Not everyone HAS to go on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge all the time.

And I play it for the plot... Need it for my fanfiction. Or, well, the Plegia & Grima sections. Valm? What the hell is Valm?

What? Fire Emblem games typically have great, or at the very least, interesting plots. Awakening shouldn't be excused for a lack of it.

My point is, other than the supports, i tend to ignore the plot of that game altogether. Its gameplay is fantastic and thats why i keep replaying it.

On topic:

6DSJKcO.jpg

Be it evil manga Murdock or too loyal for his own good Murdock, I always really liked Murdock for some reason. ...even though there are far better characters out there.

Fin has to be my favourite

others include Cuan, Seth, Innes and Frederick.

You and me, man (everyone else who disagrees, their opinions are wrong, of course). But since you're lazy, I'll actually make a list.

It's not an essay because secretly I'm lazy too.

1. He's the sexiest man human in Fire Emblem. Hey, I can sense you typing over there. Yes, you. And no, that person is no competition, might as well stop typing while you're ahead.

2. Three different face portraits. I don’t know why, but I really like that sort of thing. And they’re all good, too!

3. The most availability of any character in the Judgral dualogy...I'd say FE in general, but noone's made a scale for how to compare 'I AM BIG AND FAT LOOK AT ME' FE4 maps to the 'We had space for a 100x100 map, but turns out we only needed 10x10' maps of the other FE games. Not that availability is a reason to like, but more of Fin is always a good thing. I mean, it gives him so much dialogue and name drops (more on that later), that has to be a good thing! Although I'm not sure such overexposure to character development is healthy or good for his skin.

4. [slight FE4 spoiler, you should skip if you haven't reached Chapter 7]

He's the only character in FE4 that's available for both generations. Not only is this incredibly cool gameplay wise (he's like...his own father, inheritance wise), but it also really helps develop his character through the game mechanics. In Gen 1, he's but an apprentice dragged along by Cuan because he looks damn fine or something. This is reflected by his stats that look like Alec (and I guess he's like, one of the few level 1 characters in the first gen.), but Fin has a heck of a lot more potential than Alec ever did (despite soloing in a worse weapon type). By around Chapter 3, he eventually becomes a Duke Knight (who are awesome by the way, I don't know what it is about gimped paladins, but they were cool...in FE4), probably because he admired Cuan because who doesn't admire Cuan's as..tronimical growths? Then when he joins back, he comes back as a battle hardened veteran, effectively Leaf's Jeigan. TIS SO COOL. Shame he's not as good in the second generation compared to your other characters, but what are you going to do?

5. Even the game favors him! Honestly, the first time I played FE4, I had no idea who to use. I was just like "OK SIGURD BEATS THE ARENA GOOD, ETHLIN HAS A SWORD RANK AS A TROUBADOUR GOOD, AYRA IS LIKE LYN BUT BETTER BEST UNIT EVER MUST GIVE LEG RING, etc." Thankfully, the developers gave Fin a few boosts to point him into my good books. Weird as though it might seem, the Chapter 1 conversation (gives him +1 Str, Skl, & Def) really made me think that perhaps he'd be more important into the feature; I dunno what it actually it did, but I'm pretty sure I like, fed him a few more kills or something. The Hero Lance basically sealed the deal for me, plus it's the fucking Hero Lance. I hadn't gotten any holy weapons at that time, so the Hero Lance seemed like the most broken thing ever. Also Prayer makes him easy to use in the arena and Pursuit is Pursuit, good day. Oh, right, Fin is in FE5, isn't he? Well, the developers didn't skimp out on the Fin love there either. For one thing, he comes with his trusty Hero Lance from Day 1, and it got even better somehow. He's got his Oswin-esque status (bro-er than most of your units) going for him too, and that leadership star because he's not a Gen. 1 groupie anymore.

6. He's secretly amazing in FE4 0% growths. Who knew Prayer combined with lances would be so bro? Besides the designers, I mean, already touched on their bias for Fin in a previous point. And while I haven't played it, I'm sure he'd be wonderful in FE5 0% growths too.

7. Fin's like, the best loyal knight ever. I dunno, I usually find said archetype pretty uninteresting. Why does Kent care so much about Caelin? What appeal is there to serving Renais to Seth, besides getting into Eirika's pants should've gone the Orson route? But Fin somehow makes the archetype work. At first he's just dragged along by Cuan across the countryside, doing his job, but then he and Cuan have their bro moments, and I'd assume he's more invested in his work, and just helping his bro out (who also happens to be his boss). Maybe the difference is he isn't blindly loyal to a kingdom, but rather a specific person (or a specific family, shame he didn't have any dialogue with Ethlin)...and not blindly loyal, that came out wrong. This is shown in his death quotes, where in first generation he comes off as, "Ouch, that hurt a little too much for comfort. Better be safe than sorry, I'm ditching you guys and going back to Lenster and getting some much needed paid days off", while in second generation, he's like miserable that he failed his duty rather than the fact that he's, you know, DEAD.

Also he starved himself to keep Leaf safe while they were on the run. Also Fin actually helped Leaf while he was on the run, which is saying something in and of itself. This helps makes him like the best Jeigan ever, talking about Gen. 2/FE5 (well, not in FE5, but he's still the bro overleveled horse lover, so just roll with it) here. I like using jeigans because they're something not really many other games do also they're bro, but a lot of the time they're kind of...boring character wise. But Fin's like, his loyalty is a result of his personality, but he's not defined by it; at least not to the same extent as other jeigans. Speaking of other aspects...

8. He's so connected! He gets namedropped in so many conversations, it's ridiculous. Don't believe me, I'll list out…some of the offenders; Cuan, Beowulf, Delmud, Oifaye (who's like "Oh...Fin, he rejected me for Lachesis/Tiltyu, what a jerk"), Leaf, Janne, etc. Well, being connected isn't impressive in and of itself, but he's usually related in some way to some of my favorite characters like Leaf, Nanna, Lachesis, Oifaye, so that helps a lot. I especially like his relation with Leaf, he's like not only Leaf's father figure and Jeigan substitute (I don't usually accept substitutes, but when I do, they're Fin), but also he plays a similar role to what Cuan did in his interactions with Fin way back when in generation one. It's like...full circle or something, so deep. Also it's kind of interesting because while Leaf's father is dead, he basically passed all of his techniques to Fin, who teaches them to Leaf in addition to being a father figure for the prince, so like...yeah. That sounded a lot more impressive in my head. Anyways, it just kind of reminds me of Persona 3/4, where your main character makes social links through helping people out. Fin’s so connected because he’s such a bro, always helping others out and stuff like that.

9. OK, this is the last one, for reals (because who makes lists of 10?). I said I wasn’t going to write an essay, but I always get carried away when talking about Fin, if you know what I mean. Anyways, the last reason Fin is cool is because he's like, actually an adult. With like, a wife. And children. And he's playable! And they're playable! In the same game! At the same time! So basically FE13 shut up he's better than those guys because he's a man. I'm sure I had more amazing reasons to add to this, but my brain is fried at the moment, brb going to play FF4.

So yeah, tl,dr; Fin is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Seriously, when I was checking up on dialogue from FE4 when writing this, I must have encountered like 685 cases of the word ‘fine’. I never would have guessed that FE4 used that word so much.

Also I skimmed through this when rereading it to make sure I didn't miss deleting any instances of "Sexy Ass Bitch", so if even I can't read it, this is totally going to be tl,dr; for like, everyone. Still worth writing. If posts had titles, I'd name this one "Ode to Fin"...or "Fin Post".

This one is sexier IMO http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080702233156/fireemblem/images/4/4a/Fin.jpg

Don;t forget

Finn is so awesome, he has a side story where he stars as the main character

Definitely one of my favorite Jeigan

Edited by JSND

Oh yeah, definitely, I was just really lazy when looking through artwork.

"This picture looks kinda good WILL LINK"

Wow. Who is this guy and what is his game? I'm interested now. :)

Fin was in both FE4: Genealogy of the Holy War and FE5: Thracia 776.

Wow Refa you outdid yourself on such a long post again xD.

Edited by Jedi

6. He's secretly amazing in FE4 0% growths. Who knew Prayer combined with lances would be so bro? Besides the designers, I mean, already touched on their bias for Fin in a previous point. And while I haven't played it, I'm sure he'd be wonderful in FE5 0% growths too.

oh he is really good in fe5 0%

brave lance so good

his bases are fine

i used him all the way XD

Everyone seems to love FE4 around here... I'll need to see what the fuss is about then!

If it wasn't 11 o'clock at night, I'd write a mini essay on Henry. But alas, it's seriously late and my brain is dying.

There should be more villain love in this thread. I know Awakening really dropped the ball there, but FE has had a lot of great antagonists (and other NPCs, I guess) in the past.

Well, Gangrel wasn't that bad. He was memorable, he was dastardly clever, and I have a pretty deep love/hate relationship with the guy, so I consider him a success because I was able to connect with him at all, and that I was able to do so on a level that was far deeper than a kiddie pool.

Everyone seems to love FE4 around here... I'll need to see what the fuss is about then!

I know right?! I wish they would remake it or something but I guess fans generally agree it would be too hard... Alternatively, I wish I wasn't so lazy to play the original ._.

For main villains GBA onwards, I would have to say Zephiel is my favourite. It's terribly heartbreaking witnessing such a sweet boy being so abused and broken by his parents' envy/disinterest (King & Queen respectively). As if that weren't enough, seeing his relationship with Guinevere change so much as a result is very sad as well.

Edited by Owain Dark

FE4 is..... different to say the least. Part 1 is fine, part 2 messed up. Speaking of Finn, the Thracian basically stealed the spotlight which is awesome

FE5 has a rather unique stance on its story and gameplay

I like FE5 because Leif is a kidnapper who breaks prison

Also he chloroformed a Pegasus Knight and murdered her friends in a cold blood manners before recruiting her

Now for Villains, Trabant. He is so brilliant that the entirety of Gen 2 is basically everyone playing his game and losing hard. I love how he basically manipulated Leif, Altenna, Areone, Dagda, Seliph, and the Sect all at once

Edited by JSND

Uh.

FE7: Serra, Sain, Raven, Matthew, Leila (I wanted to recruit her so badly D:)

FE8: Joshua, L'Arachel, Lute, Innes, Lyon, Knoll, Gheb

FE9/10: Jill, Nephenee, Soren, Rice Rhys, Raisin Reyson, Titania

FE13: Gaius, Henry, Lucina, Inigo, Olivia

Let's hear it for Wrys. Not that Fire Emblem isn't full of fighting old people, but most of them are, y'know, powerful. Or have plot relevance. Wrys is just an old man from a village who agrees to go with you to the other end of the world. That journey alone could've easily killed him. He's also technically the first ever recruitable character in a Fire Emblem, which is pretty cool.

I also have a soft spot for Wil, since FE7 was my first game and he practically has the same name as me, and I really liked the colour of his sprites.

Let's hear it for Wrys. Not that Fire Emblem isn't full of fighting old people, but most of them are, y'know, powerful. Or have plot relevance. Wrys is just an old man from a village who agrees to go with you to the other end of the world. That journey alone could've easily killed him. He's also technically the first ever recruitable character in a Fire Emblem, which is pretty cool.

I also have a soft spot for Wil, since FE7 was my first game and he practically has the same name as me, and I really liked the colour of his sprites.

“I am Wrys, a humble priest. I cannot fight, but this staff I carry can heal your wounded. Take me with you, and you’ll be very glad you did.”

Immortal Words.

I remember hearing about when Horace (The user) killed Medeus with Wrys. It was amazing

My number one choice is definitely Sumia (hence my username). She bakes, she's clumsy, she's cute, she's kindhearted, and she's a good wife/mother.

Yeah, she's adorkable.

My favorite characters are LIBRA, Henry, Anna and Gangrel after his fall.