Fire Emblem 1 Low Level Run

Refa

Introduction (AKA That one part you forget 10 seconds after reading)

Sorry to keep you waiting! Oh...you wanted me to update one of my other threads. Well then, uh...this is awkward...

Anyways, I'm totally into low level runs. They're like, my thing. I mean, you probably wouldn't know it, but trust me on this one. Come to think of it, I'm not exactly sure why that is. Most of them I ragequit 5-10 chapters in, and in my Sacred Stones run (the only one I got pretty far in) I lost steam around Lagdou. Anyways, I decided the first FE game had a lot of unique traits that would make doing a low level run of this game more interesting. That, and I didn't want to play FE3 (arghhh dismounting) or FE11 (arghhh reclass DON'T TRY TO MAKE ME THINK).

To ensure that I'd actually finish this run, I decided to make a thread out of it!...Because that worked out so well for my other threads. Don't worry, it's screenshots, because a video playthrough of FE1 would just be so painful, I don't even know how anyone would be able to handle that. So with that boring, boring, exposition out of the way, let's get to the rules. They're actually kind of different from other low level runs maybe, I was never sure on how the official interpretation of the challenge was supposed to be.

Da Rulez (They're so bad, just like the Power Glove)

1. As soon as the deployment screen becomes available, only the lowest leveled characters will be deployed for each map.

a) Marthipan is obviously excluded, as he is forced to be deployed in every map. Also the game would be like, impossible to beat without him.

b) If a character is needed for recruitment, he/she will be deployed regardless of level, in place of the highest level party member that is currently deployed (this is only if the character needed for recruitment is not already on the team; otherwise, ignore). Also, this is only if like, Marth doesn't already recruit the character in question.

c) The lowest level thief may also be deployed at my discretion on maps where doors/chests/bridges can be unlocked; the whole replacement thing for recruitments applies to this as well.

d) For the purpose of this run, all prepromoted units will be assumed to be promoted at level 10, so their total level is 10 + current level. Units who have promoted normally have a total level of level before promotion + current level. Units who can’t promote, but are not the prepromoted form of any class are assumed to be at level 1....or whatever level they are. Whatever.

e) Units who have capped their level can be opted to not be deployed, with the exception of Marth, of course.

2. All units of level 10 and higher will be promoted as soon as they are deployed and the necessary promotion item is available.

a) If there are multiple deployed units of level 10 and higher who require the same promotion item, and there are not enough for all of them, then priority goes to the highest leveled units.

3. Due to how promotion gains work in FE1, statboosters will only be used after all currently deployed team members are incapable of promoting. Then, if used during the map, the statbooster must be used on the team member with the lowest stat (in the category that the statbooster boosts, of course) out of all currently deployed units.

4. I don’t think I need to say this, but almost every character will be recruited. The exception being one of Arran/Samson and uh…well, I’m sure there’s another. Does Camus count?

a) Also all of the characters will be surviving. I didn’t go through the pain of recruiting them just so they could die on me. I’m looking at you, Navarre.

If you ever need any clarification because rulez so bad or just tl,dr;, don't hesitate to ask. However, I will hesitate to answer. So there's that.

Chapter 1- Embark Marths

FireEmblemFirst1_zps70b3cb45.png

A long, long, time ago...

FireEmblemFirst2_zps49e7fc30.pngFireEmblemFirst3_zpsc9f6fce9.png

MyMom_zpsb9547c70.jpg

Nah, just kidding. Unfortunately it's still Dark Dragon & Sword Of Light.

FireEmblemFirst4_zps10b17bb3.png

Unfortunately. Gotta love when Nintendo was manly enough to have their logo in pink, though.

FireEmblemFirst5_zps9b42ba06.png

I like how there's an enemy type dedicated to the one task of slaughtering Marth. They must have more money on their hands than I thought...explains all of those bullions lying around.

FireEmblemFirst6_zps679056bd.png

I just took this screenshot to brag about how I beat the first Fire Emblem game before. Because apparently that is something to brag about.

FireEmblemFirst7_zpsc9adfb10.png

MISSION START

FireEmblemFirst8_zpsfa25724e.png

Because Altea's bravest knights weren't enough, so Marth enlisted his girlfriend too. Classy motherfucker right here.

So let's really start this time with the way all of my playthroughs start. A boring discussion about the starting units!

FireEmblemFirst9_zps8df83ab7.png

Marth's pretty bro in this game, he doubles straight off the bat for good damage, and Sheeda isn't the worst wing...woman ever, 1-upping him with that...Wing Spear, so his Rapier utility is actually pretty amazing. I think you can even buy infinite of them later on or something, beats me. Also I'm totally going to sandbag him by making sure he doesn't get past level 10 by chapter 18. Because Miracle Sword, look I'll explain more when we actually get there...if we actually get there. On the plus side, you just got saved from another boring explanation if we don't end up making it.

Also Marth still can't promote in this game and to make matters worse, his level caps at 20; but then again, so do all of the stats, and like half of the other units can't promote either.

FireEmblemFirst10_zpsd5c860ee.png

This is easily the worst Sheeda in any incarnation of FE ever...and she's still pretty good. Being the first Pegasus Knight who can also wield the Silver Lance at base does that to you (if you're not in the know, weapon level is a stat that replaces the seperate weapon levels from other FE games, and the Silver Lance has a weapon level of 7). Also her bro Sheeda stats (in this game, that includes weapon level) and the way promo gains work doesn't hurt her either. It's just a shame that promotion is delayed for so long.

Oh, and Pegasus Knights can wield Swords/Lances in this game. Just so that Dracoknights would completely obselete Paladins, because they look so much cooler anyways.

FireEmblemFirst11_zpsc7d123c0.png

Jeigan is Jeigan, except his growths are worse, but he doubles a heck of a lot more (although for the doubling thing, that's like...everyone) and ORKOes (!) sometimes, so he's actually better. A cool prepromote paladin who doesn't suffer from impaired EXP, but his growths are so bad that it really wouldn't matter either way.

FireEmblemFirst12_zpsbf8d792d.png

Smug motherfucker. He has my favorite portrait in all of FE1. Anyways, I think he's supposed to be pretty good or something, I dunno. Also he can wield Javelins at base in this game.

FireEmblemFirst13_zpsc0a4718b.png

Abel is like Cain but he's different in some ways and they're like balanced or something fuck if I know. Regardless, he's also pretty good, and he can wield Steel Swords at base in this game...but so can everyone including Julian and Rickard, so that's not really saying much.

FireEmblemFirst14_zpsb3c99caa.png

DOGA YOGA

He's actually like the best character in the first map because he doubles, but I think he stops doubling by the second map. Regardless, he's Doga, so he's amazing. Also he can't go one step up to become General, or whatever it was that Arden did. I mean he can't promote. Because while this game has Generals (as you've seen before), the thought to have Armor Knights promote into them hadn't crossed IS' mind until a plucky intern came up with the idea for FE3.

Remember what I said about Sheeda? Not about the bad strength, although Doga shares the same STR/DEF growths as her which is kind of sad...but anyways! I meant about the dual weapons, as he too can use swords and shields...er, swords and lances. Yeah, that.

FireEmblemFirst15_zps337bb0d4.png

All of his stats are so average, but he's way better in this game because 1) promotion gains, 2) Parthia (well, earlier access to it), and 3) Bowguns. Seriously, Bowguns are ridiculous. They have 1 more might than Iron Bows, in exchange for 1 more weight (but they also have 10% more hit so they come out ahead). That on its own isn't anything to write home about, but they also have the most uses of any bow (at 37) and 20% crit (which is the same amount as the Killer Sword...So yeah. Pretty rad. Did I mention Gordin comes with one right off the bat?

And yes, Marth does come with the Rapier. Sheeda doesn't come with the Silver Lance, but luckily Jeigan brought his spare. And then he can trade it to Sheeda, except you can't really trade in this game because-look, I'll just talk about this later. Also you know how I was talking about Sheeda? How she could use two weapons? And how Doga could do the same?

Well, Gordin is still a bow locked unit, nuts to your double weapon archer fantasies.

So, how's about actually playing the game? Well, writing about me actually playing the game, or in your case, reading. Whatever.

FireEmblemFirst16_zpsa88ad68a.png

First thing's first, time to collect some good ol' fashioned tribute. I'm pretty sure you start with 10k in this game too, so this village really is a bit much.

FireEmblemFirst17_zps1de958d8.png

And Abel uses his Shadow Punch to inflict heavy damage on the thief...or I just missed the Javelin animation...that works too.

FireEmblemFirst18_zpsc40a9f21.png

Remember what I was talking about earlier about FE1 not having trading? Well, here it is. The incredibly-inconvenient-yet-still-more-flexible-than-FE4-yet-somehow-more-inconvenient-anyways "trading" system of FE1. Basically, you can give stuff to people adjacent to you, but you can't trade items around. I'm not sure if you can attack after giving, but you can reequip weapons. This is notable because equipping a weapon is an action like attacking or waiting. In combination with the limited inventory, the supply that's actually a building in maps and you have to pay 10G for each item you put in, and well...the slowness of FE1, I'll end up playing this more like FE4 than say, FE7. I'll give each character a set of weapons that they need, so I don't have to worry about constantly putting items into storage and bankrupting myself (so I guess that's one way the LLR has changed my way of playing FE1...although it's been so long since my last complete playthrough, so I'm not 88.8% sure on that).

Oh, and I had Jeigan give Sheeda the Silver Lance, I guess.

FireEmblemFirst19_zps9901822a.pngFireEmblemFirst20_zpsbc3484ca.png

All while being part of this fancy battle formation that protects me from having to deal with her lame enemy phase. Also I buy 2 Bowguns. One for Castor, and the other one for Castor too. If he cycles through Bow Guns as fast as he does sick mothers, he'll need both of them.

Sorry, KASHIN...er, KASHIM. and GORDON. and KAIN. I actually like Kain though, reminds me of the best Dragoon ever...and the FE Kain is more like a Dragoon than the FF Kain ever was.

FireEmblemFirst21_zps72021944.png

What a JERK boss, if I had Lena with me, I could've finished this chapter with not one scratch on well...anybody! Except for those people who Sheeda said got killed. But those people SUCKED anyways, so no big loss.

FireEmblemFirst22_zps80f06d2e.pngFireEmblemFirst23_zps9b31dcc6.png

I just noticed that the bad guys are more pink than red. That is so rad.

Also Jeigan is the man, etc. etc. (he knocked the pirate down to four bars of health, at a conversion rate of one bar = one HP).

FireEmblemFirst24_zps105b8e41.png

Oh yeah, EXP gain in this game is wierd. I never really got the hang of it. Basically, you get as much EXP as damage you do (1 EXP/point of damage), but if you get the kill, then you get like 24 EXP or something...unless you killed the boss, then you get like, 36 EXP. And thieves give the most at 40 EXP.

At least that's how I think it works, I dunno, I just roll with whatever the game gives me.

FireEmblemFirst25_zps2998fd3a.pngFireEmblemFirst26_zps5c954443.png

I'm not sure what the purpose of the first picture was originally, but now it's to show Abel's sprite. Because it's weirdly missing from the second picture. Also, I thought it was wierd how the thief didn't move, I guess FE1!Thieves are just slackers. Or maybe he's Wrys' bussom buddy, we'll never know because Abel killed-

FireEmblemFirst27_zps8b651c57.png

dammitnevermind (Fun Fact- FE10 didn't do the "The Javelin hit but it really missed but it looked like it hit" thing first)

FireEmblemFirst28_zps585d196a.png

I have Kain pawn off his Iron Sword to Marth so Marth can go forwards and he can go shopping. If there's one thing Kain has a weakness for, its big shopping baskets full of goods.

FireEmblemFirst29_zps0cae67aa.png

Although from the looks of things (I mean the "Can't use Javelin", because the map sprite is nowhere to be seen), I had Marth go shopping anyways. Kain was so pissed, he won't forget this injustice.

FireEmblemFirst30_zpsa296bd96.png

You can't tell, but Sheeda is to the right of Doga. And Horace thought he was the first one who thought of invisible Pegasus Knights, ha.

(yeah, I really should have done some quality control on these screen shots or something, sorry people; I'd say it won't happen again, but then I'd be lying)

FireEmblemFirst31_zps8b30d902.png

Oh dear, the Hunter is a lot quicker to aggro in this version. Also I really like the headband he's rocking. FE1!Hunters may not have known how to promote, but they sure knew how to dress in style.

FireEmblemFirst32_zps329f5d3e.png

Jeigan didn't really dodge, he just made a scary face, and the enemy decided it wasn't worth it and retreated.

FireEmblemFirst33_zpsc90dfc86.png

But Jeigan didn't let him get away with that kind of coward crap. No siree.

FireEmblemFirst34_zps6bb8380f.pngFireEmblemFirst35_zpsae797615.png

Oh yeah, I was supposed to brag about my amazing positioning of Sheeda last turn, but I was too hung up on her being invisible to remember. Anyways, Marth had just enough space to hawk some Javelins and then equip his Iron Sword...or not for that last one, oh well, can't win everything.

FireEmblemFirst36_zps4b67a656.png

And Kain buys the last two goods of this map, which are uh...two more Javelins. For him and the big guy.

FireEmblemFirst37_zpscaf121d9.png

This is Abel attacking the Thief, if you couldn't notice (I wouldn't blame you). Stoopid whatever is causing this problem.

FireEmblemFirst38_zps84ff71eb.png

This is a dead thief. You might think that he is alive because the screenshot shows him with one bar of health (I'm fairly certain the conversion rate is still one bar of health = 1HP, inflation hasn't gone up on those bars of health yet)...But in fact he is just an ordinary dead thief who looks alive due to my amazing screenshot timing.

FireEmblemFirst39_zps4ce5d717.pngFireEmblemFirst40_zps4f3ea55c.png

Yeah, Jeigan can ORKO hunters! Yeah, a +20% crit bow is a really good weapon!

FireEmblemFirst41_zps7022adc0.png

Wow, I've spent so much time talking about nonsensical things that I totally forgot to mention my amazing battle plan. You know, this still is a low level run. Anyways, basically I'm just feeding Sheeda all of the EXP (except that Thief, I guess...oh well) while she can still do more than 0 damage with an Iron Sword. And if my other units can scrounge up kills, well, they can be my guests...Except Marth. He's still on sandbag duty.

FireEmblemFirst42_zpsa39732cf.png

You can't tell too well in this picture, but the tile below the cursor really bothers me. You can see the square of water poking into the land, and it just looks so wrong. Yes, I really did need to mention that to you, this is important information, why do you ask?

FireEmblemFirst43_zpsa673aa78.pngFireEmblemFirst44_zpsf21af9e3.png

I'm having Kain give Marth the Javelin so Marth can trade chain it to Doga...sadly Kain could not be assed to show up in this screenshot...the JERK. And Marth finally got his Iron Blade Of Justice out for some action...but not too much action, I'm still sandbagging him.

FireEmblemFirst45_zps5ac4f819.png

I think I was trying to demonstrate how enemies would attack Marth over defenseless Gordon, but it all went horribly wrong when the enemy turn order wasn't exactly what I thought it was...oh well, Gordon can take one for the team.

FireEmblemFirst46_zps84fbe340.png

HAX

JEIGAN WAS JUST GOING EASY ON YOU

FireEmblemFirst47_zps9cd29d6a.pngFireEmblemFirst48_zps711d1ec1.png

I HATE YOU GUYS

MAKING ME GIVE EXP TO MARTH

FireEmblemFirst49_zps35ce757d.png

Wow, I haven't used Kain at all. Time to take him out for a test drive.

FireEmblemFirst50_zps1bdd824b.png

RAGEQUIT

So yeah, that sure was the first...part of the first update. I know I had a lot of silly stuff in there and you'd really have to like, look hard to find any evidence this is a low level run. Blame it on the fact that this is the first chapter and there's no deployment screen! I'll talk more about the gameplay when all of my characters don't double and 2RKO everything...Except Wrys...BUT WILL I REMEMBER TO RECRUIT HIM OR WILL I DO AN FE3 AND SKIP HIM ENTIRELY.

FIND OUT AS SOON AS I POST THE NEXT PART OF THE FIRST UPDATE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH SO SUSPENSEFUL

So will you Marth solo?

Looking forward to this, because I want to see others played FE1 and break the game with Marth

Anyway

"Does Camus count?"

Camus is unrecruitable though?

Edited by JSND

what was the stat caps again in NES era? 20?

the game probably broken if 5 stat booster is used, not that i mind it..

yeah, you should do solo marth , it's worth it!

I have a feeling Marth will be a workhorse since your lower level units will eventually have trouble gaining stats, whether it's from lack of experience or lack of growths. (I'm looking at you, Daros.) At least you will have no shortage of clerics to warpskip maps if disaster begins to strike!

However it turns out, the more misery, the more fun! :Wrys:

Edit: Video at like 10x speed with the audio replaced with music might be interesting if not a complete eyesore.

Edited by SRC

@Above post (well, above above, the one above SRC's...I think...hopefully)

Yeah, all stats cap at 20, just like FE3 and FE5, and FE2 too if you divide by 2, because all of the stats there cap at 40.

So in this game, it will be an advantage to have high stats at a relatively low level...

Can you guess who will be da best?

WRYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Spoiler alert- I did recruit him.

And without any further replying, let's finish up Chapter 1. And by let's, I do mean let's. There's some AMAZING audience participation in the update, I sware. So what are you waiting for, go and read it!

Chapter 1- Embark Still Marths

FireEmblemFirst50_zps1bdd824b.png

Remember this? I certainly didn't want to...thanks a lot, Photobucket, I'm blaming you for this.

FireEmblemFirst51_zpse2a73578.png

THIS INVISIBLE PIRATE ABOVE MARTH HAS 10HP

(seriously, I'll fix that next update, I sware)

BUT SHEEDA CAN ONLY DO 8 DAMAGE WITH HER PIDDLY IRON SWORD CHIP

WHAT DO I DO

FireEmblemFirst52_zpsbe3b6000.pngFireEmblemFirst53_zpsd57e1172.png

HA I BET HE NEVER SAW THAT SILVER LANCE COMING

IF HE WAS FARSIGHTED

Also she got like, a Sheeda level (Skill, Weapon Level, Speed, Luck). But with HP...and without the Speed or the Luck. So I guess she just got a bad level.

FireEmblemFirst54_zps263c2ddc.pngFireEmblemFirst55_zps79f8b17f.png

I took the first picture just to show you that the formation I have going is pretty cool. This is something you can only expect from a quality playthrough such as this one.

Now in between viewing the first picture and the second one, I want you (yes, you, the reader) to close your eyes. For 5 minutes. Now open them. Congratulations, you've just taken the same amount of time I had to get my dudes to that spot without the exhilarating experience of clicking the 'A' button, oh you lucky guy, you.

Also it's kind of hard to see the cursor, but I moved Jeigan onto the mountain to see if the guys around him would move or not. It's actually different in every version of FE1, so I can never tell.

FireEmblemFirst57_zpsd03a4240.png

Luckily for my ego, neither can you.

FireEmblemFirst56_zps47e2c65d.pngFireEmblemFirst58_zpsacf16c9f.png

But really, yes, they do aggro once you enter their personal space.

It's probably a sign of incompetence or something that Jeigan was my second character to gain a level. Maybe I should have had other dudes get that massive chip EXP, oh well.

Oh, and what an amazing level it is. "But Refa", you say, "Skill is a lame stat!" To which I say "NO U", and "No way, Jeigan only has growths in four stats; HP, STR, SKL, and SPD. And they're all 10%." So yeah, pretty darn good for Jeigan.

FireEmblemFirst59_zpsb852cb64.png

I had this amazing plan in motion to feed Sheeda some more kills, but at 11HP, she can't take 2 more hits.

Also I thought the pirate next to the boss could attack her, so I messed up even more.

FireEmblemFirst60_zps1f354fd1.png

Luckily I was clever, so I moved Marth in here to draw one of them. Because the AI really likes attacking Marth in this game. Like, over healers and archers.

Or maybe they just have morals in this game and don't like attacking woman and children and Wrys. Because Marth's not a child, he's FIFTEEN, REAL MAN INCARNATE.

FireEmblemFirst61_zpsf2475aec.pngFireEmblemFirst62_zpsb5b15834.png

But then I fucked up my plan in no more than 10 seconds later (well to be fair, with FE1 movement speeds, it probably was like a minute or two). And that's why Sheeda got no kills on enemy phase, awwwwwwwwwwww...

FireEmblemFirst63_zps1bba8397.png

So while Sheeda was killing that one mook and Marth was inching his way forth to the house with Linda's cousin who gives you a vulnerary (if you've only played FE11, you should read up on the FE3 changes, the true meaning of what I just said will soon become apparent...hopefully), I had Jeigan chip the boss for fun. He has pretty bad hit (I think it's like...45%ish, although 1RN system), so I didn't actually expect him to hit twice. What a bro...er, I mean EXP hog. Jerk.

FireEmblemFirst64_zpsd49a8a0c.png

IT DOESN'T FEEL SO GOOD WHEN ITS THE OTHER WAY AROUND DOES IT

FireEmblemFirst65_zps2fba0f0e.png

So close yet so far. Of course, he still has all of player phase to get the kill, assuming-

FireEmblemFirst66_zps1db6d8f6.pngFireEmblemFirst67_zps3129ef0b.png

Some weak ass unit doesn't waltz right in and steal the kill first. She didn't even get a level (also notice that lame boss EXP), so disappointing.

FireEmblemFirst68_zps817a5dde.png

She's only borrowing it, it's all cool guys. She'll give it back as soon as Gazack politely asks for it to be returned. And after it's been used 5 times.

Also vulneraries are cool in this game because they have 5 uses.

FireEmblemFirst69_zps735e4e2e.pngFireEmblemFirst70_zpse33f6a15.png

Fight on the front lines, cool.

Also I feel I must inform you that power is a useless stat for mages...Because magic is not influenced by brute power. That'd be fine and dandy, but there's no magic stat, so mages/beautiful clerics are shit out of luck there. And I'm pretty sure skill is useless for mages too, because it doesn't affect the accuracy of magic. Although that's OK, because magic avoid is ballz. Physical avoid is pretty much the same as you're used too (Terrain Bonus + (Speed - Weapon Weight) x 2), but magic avoid is just luck.

Oh yeah, and Wrys heals. That's great, but he doesn't get EXP for healing, only for being attacked. WONDERFUL NOW HE'LL ALWAYS BE ON MY TEAM. And I needn't feel bad about depriving him of the levels, because his growths blow. 20% HP, 20% Weapon Level, 10% Speed, 10% Luck.

I guess he'll miss a promotion, but being a lovely cleric is better than being an old, stoopid Bishop if you ask me.

FireEmblemFirst71_zps64b2c004.png

WHO IS HE GOING TO HEAL

YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO GUESS

FireEmblemFirst73_zpsd19aef2a.png

Because the chapter ended. Get a move on, Wrys, stop being so slow.

FireEmblemFirst72_zps6f082be8.png

Also Oh-Goo-Ma(ma) will be the best addition to team. He starts at like level 2 in this game too...no wait, I think that's FE3. Dammit.

See you next mission!

Edited by Refa

EDIT PLEASE DELETE STOOPID SOMETHING...IT WASN'T MY FAULT!

Edited by Refa

Chapter 1 was hastily written, full of incompetent play all around (is this really a low level run?), and had missing sprites in like half of the pictures.

Chapter 2 only has almost all of those problems. Clearly it is superior. You should check it out.

Chapter 2- Big Axe Gardna Pirates

FireEmblemFirst74_zps49160a74.png

I like how the title reads as "Two Garda Pirates". I dunno, it just seems like something that would be followed by "walks into a bar" or something along those lines.

Someone should totally make an amazing joke like that, free kudos for the person who does that.

Oh yeah, and Oguma is a mercenary guys. Because he only fights for money. Really.

FireEmblemFirst75_zps692728eb.png

So my first move is to go with my instincts and have Doga choke a point. Feel free to play that one part from that one LP (you know which one I'm talking about) in your head at this point.

FireEmblemFirst76_zps9dd87278.png

I think I took this picture so I could whine about how many pirates there are on the north island. Seriously, what the hell? And they're jerks that can just walk past Doga too, I hate them so. Well, except one of them...

FireEmblemFirst77_zps32208593.png

Meet Darros!...*ahem* Daros. He just makes a beeline for Marth, and since I'll talk about his stats when he actually joins up, I guess there's not much more to say than look, he has 2 more EXP than the other pirates (which I just realized is probably how kill EXP is given...took me long enough).

FireEmblemFirst78_zps9ffc77f3.pngFireEmblemFirst79_zps61f15ecd.png

I tried to pawn off one of the extra Bowguns to Sheeda, but she had way too many items, so I made Wrys the pack mule instead. I'm sure his arthritic foot won't impede his ability to function in this new duty at all.

FireEmblemFirst80_zpsd82210ed.pngFireEmblemFirst81_zps67662da6.png

So Sheeda gives Marthipan the Vulnerary, because I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

And I keep Saji a little behind because I'll probably need to have him help with the pirates on the top island.

Oh, right, Oguma and the axe bros. I forgot to talk about them. I should do that...probably.

FireEmblemFirst82_zpsa63c263d.png

Oguma is like Marth, but better, at least for the moment. He's also a total bad ass. His growths are pretty well balanced around his stats too, so that's not a problem. Unlike with some other people I shall not name.

Also apparently Oguma was level 2 after all. Woot.

FireEmblemFirst83_zps93da781e.png

Barts is wonderful. His bases are great and his growths are ridiculous. He only has two problems. One isn't really that big of a deal, which is his lack of a promotion. Yeah, fighters are SOL in this game...in more ways than just that. See, it took until FE4 for Nintendo to balance axe users as something other than enemy units, and they weren't even particularly good until FE5. So yeah, axes are really holding Barts back from being completely ridiculous.

I guess that's why he came with these other two chumps I'll show off shortly, just so that he could look better.

FireEmblemFirst84_zps2a2ad83c.png

Well, Saji would probably be pretty good if it wasn't for for his Achilles Heel. Most of his stats parallel Barts' if Barts was level 3, except slightly worse...except Speed. His growth is a ridiculously bad 10%, which kind of hurts him...a lot. There are a lot of units in FE1 with dumb flaws like that!

Also I guess I should just say here that the highest weapon level needed to wield all axes is 4. So both Barts and Saji could care less about Weapon Level growth, which is good because both of theirs are lame.

FireEmblemFirst85_zpscf0dd50c.png

Maji is like Barts but worse in everything. I guess his growths are kind of better balanced than Saji's, but 30% STR doesn't sit too well with me.

Also he can't wield the Devil Axe at base, so lame.

FireEmblemFirst81_zps67662da6.png

Hey, remember before I droned on and on about Oguma & The Axe Bros?

FireEmblemFirst86_zps77a80eea.pngFireEmblemFirst87_zps5e134470.png

Doga is quick as a bunny and fierce as a bunny too. Actually even fiercer. He's not allowed in the animal shelter for that reason, you know how it is.

FireEmblemFirst88_zps4cc15f96.png

This pirate casually strolling past my amazing chokepoint? He can drop dead. Luckily, he's attacking Doga, so that's probably a likely outcome.

FireEmblemFirst89_zpsf9bc0d7f.png

JERK

I think Doga just missed a 99%.

Now you know it's a Refa Playthrough™.

FireEmblemFirst91_zpsae131e6b.pngFireEmblemFirst92_zps56f03771.png

I try to position Marth so that Darros will talk to him on the enemy phase, but I goofed up and moved Marth one space too far. C'est la Fire Emblem 1.

FireEmblemFirst93_zpsf8bdc7fe.pngFireEmblemFirst94_zps57598495.png

This Bowgun gets passed down more than that one Horcrux in the locket in the last Harry Potter, it's kind of comical.

FireEmblemFirst95_zpse5b595d6.png

Because choking the points worked so well last time! Since you can't tell because identical class sprites, that's Barts doing the choking. Because this isn't a job for second raters.

FireEmblemFirst96_zps9cae0fd6.pngFireEmblemFirst97_zpse42831b0.png

And Gordon steals a kill, just like he always does.

FireEmblemFirst98_zps57124138.png

Saji's got fort duty. I'm pretty sure they have free samples.

FireEmblemFirst99_zpsa6657638.png

SO GOOD THAT'S LIKE A OHKO

Shame the pirate had so little HP to begin with that even like, Sheeda would be able to kill him, no problem.

FireEmblemFirst100_zps55d4be36.pngFireEmblemFirst101_zpseff4bd31.png

Yeah, Barts is great. When he hits.

FireEmblemFirst102_zps39de0119.png

That Steel Axe can really get on my nerves sometimes.

FireEmblemFirst103_zps962f4030.png

So close, yet so far. I never checked if Marth could talk to him on player phase, I should've done that.

FireEmblemFirst104_zpse5177455.png

He can't keep up with Gordon's ridiculous dodging capabilities! Well, he probably couldn't keep up with the supply tent's "ridiculous" "dodging" "capabilities" either, but that's besides the point.

FireEmblemFirst105_zpse815cf6e.pngFireEmblemFirst107_zpsfb37e0b2.png

Also thieves can walk on water in this game. This makes it really annoying if you want to block them off instead of offing them ASAP...which isn't something you really want to do most of the time, so I guess it's not too big of a deal.

BUT I HAVE MY REASONS FOR THIS ODD COURSE OF ACTIONS

FireEmblemFirst108_zps97908dce.pngFireEmblemFirst109_zps7829c885.png

Also Jeigan is the best tank...well, next to Doga.

FireEmblemFirst110_zpsc6dfef15.png

Stupid enemy and their inclination towards zerg rushes.

FireEmblemFirst111_zpsf1a60feb.png

Looking back on it, trying to have Gordon earn a kill on his own blood and sweat wasn't the best idea. Oh well, that's what Saji is for, right?

FireEmblemFirst112_zps68b89a18.pngFireEmblemFirst113_zpsaa1db506.png

At least Gordon got a level or something. Speed is always nice.

FireEmblemFirst114_zpsfc772c21.pngFireEmblemFirst115_zps5f26ad02.png

Because Saji is all about axing dudes to get off his lawn. Politely.

FireEmblemFirst116_zpsc746e35d.pngFireEmblemFirst117_zps815c6f91.png

I'm sure I meant to convey something very important with this first screenshot, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it was.

And then Barts actually uses the vulnerary, I usually never use that. A sure sign that this is going worse than usual.

FireEmblemFirst118_zpsc402762e.png

Hey, this guy looks a little frail. Perfect if there was some really wimpy unit just

buzzing about

ready to steal a kill any time

that was your queue, Sheeda

FireEmblemFirst119_zpscaaf9acd.png

Wow, that was the worst critical I've ever seen.

FireEmblemFirst120_zpse981bbeb.pngFireEmblemFirst121_zpsa8ab74cb.png

And I guess that's it for this time. I hope this Sheeda level leaves a satisfying taste in your mouth. Because that's where satisfying tastes are usually to be found.

Until next time! Watch the train wreck unfold with your very own eyes! Or someone elses', I'm not really picky about that sort of thing.

Edited by Refa

Wow clerics are out of luck entirely in fe1. I forgot that tidbit. Nice update, I'll be waiting for the next.

Pssshhh, all you have to do is put Riff on a base and have an enemy thief attack him over and over again. At a super efficient 40 exp per round, he'll be level 20 in no time*! Watch out though; this method will deprive you of one of the game's most reliable characters in a low level run!

*With terrible stats

*With a promotion item that appears in like chapter 20

Twenty percent more than Jeigan!

And thirty percent more than BANUTU!

This said, if you do manage to promote him, you're looking at 22 HP/14 Spd/8 Def and enough Wlv to use Starlight and Fortify.

This is the true power of WRYSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Obviously Refa will have to resist considering he is oh so powerful.

Edited by Jedi

This is the true power of WRYSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Obviously Refa will have to resist considering he is oh so powerful.

Never fear, for the mighty Rena (90% total growths!) and Maria (120%, 70% in Wlv) are just as good.

And then there's Elice but she actually has awesome growths.

Well, he would definitely beat the other sages in an arm wrestling match. :Kappa:

The pope would be a distant second, if only because of that amazing 10% Str growth.

• 2 months later...

I used to let my playthroughs die through neglect and indifference, but then I challenged my fate!

Last time, I killed all of those insipid pirates near the starting location and uh...huh, I didn't get much done last time, did I? REGARDLESS, this is how it ended up.

FireEmblemFirst121_zpsa8ab74cb.png

But surely things will be better this time! I don't actually know, because I finished this Chapter a long time ago, and the screens have been taking up space on my computer for like, forever. Or a month. That's basically forever.

Chapter 2- All Aboard The Amnesia Train, There Will Be No Food

FireEmblemFirst124_zps874418fa.pngFireEmblemFirst123_zps4f8bbffc.png

Looks like Jeigan is still doing well and Kain forgot to bring his Javelin to battle again. Same old, same old.

FireEmblemFirst126_zps4308df61.png

THESE ARE EXCITING PICTURES

FireEmblemFirst125_zpsfb9a0c28.png

KILLS ARE HAPPENING RIGHT BEFORE YOUR VERY EYES

FireEmblemFirst128_zps18893973.png

SOMEONE MISPLACED THEIR AXE IN SHEEDA'S SPLEEN

FireEmblemFirst127_zpsb1e6aaa5.png

And this is how things ended up. Huh, I thought that was enemy phase until I got to this pic, just goes to show you how long it's been, eh?

FireEmblemFirst129_zpsb2c2e49e.png

Yeah, Sheeda's not really very good at the whole damaging thing. But she'll get there, right? Right, guys? Someone please confirm kthnx.

FireEmblemFirst130_zps12036944.png

Also Daros autorecruited himself, which is great because there was no way I was going to expend effort recruiting him. Just...you'll see...

FireEmblemFirst131_zps4a3b43e5.pngFireEmblemFirst132_zps079df2e8.png

There might not be a weapon triangle in this game, but myrmidon-esque units (even if they are called mercenaries) still don't do too hot against cavaliers.

FireEmblemFirst133_zps59b2dcdc.pngFireEmblemFirst134_zps02267bf3.png

Hey, screw you buddy! I need that fort for my devious plans! Probably should get that Hunter out of the way...might not be a bad idea.

FireEmblemFirst135_zps0fe28aec.png

After VENGEANCE, that is!

FireEmblemFirst136_zps16649533.png

For the faint of heart, I chose not to showcase the gory end of the hunter. You see, this is a tasteful playthrough!

FireEmblemFirst137_zpsef144ad3.png

That doesn't mean I'm above showing the spoils of war, of course! Why can't Sheeda get levels like this?

FireEmblemFirst138_zps9b192a6e.png

The keen observers might be wondering what the heck I'm doing. After all, you saw his HP last time, no way can Sheeda finish him off this player phase, so why even bother?

FireEmblemFirst139_zps08fc822d.png

Yeah, my hypothetical keen observers might be selectively ignorant, but that's not the topic at hand! You see, Sheeda has just busted out the SILVER RANSEU for some serious pirate blickage.

FireEmblemFirst140_zps8112ae62.pngFireEmblemFirst141_zpse3e7307d.png

There are so many other people who could benefit from that cavalier kill...but...it's CALLING to me!

FireEmblemFirst142_zps8b0c34ee.pngFireEmblemFirst143_zps92be3be7.png

I couldn't resist the temptation. Also, I love Marth's Rapier animations and how his starting animation could easily be misconstrued as a victory pose, which is rad.

FireEmblemFirst144_zps0a8bf5d6.png

Here's how things are looking. Most enemies dead, most of my army relatively unarmed, and devious plan close to being set into motion.

Yeah, things are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

FireEmblemFirst145_zps54591dd6.png

Hey, don't rain on my parade, jerk!

FireEmblemFirst146_zps99330b00.pngFireEmblemFirst147_zpsed315e40.png

WHY IS HE DOUBLING

FireEmblemFirst148_zps16bcb5df.png

I guess that other hunter just doesn't dig NES Kashim, why else would he leave the original loving son hanging?

FireEmblemFirst149_zps260159db.pngFireEmblemFirst150_zps953a1565.png

Save it, we've all heard this story before. And I'm the only one who can make MY MOM jokes around here!

FireEmblemFirst151_zpsb10a3c53.png

Kashim is not bad. His bases are pretty bro, as you could see by him doubling Kain (still haven't forgiven him for that!). He has a killer Str growth (60%!) and good enough Spd growth (40%), so he'll do well enough at the things you'd want an bow unit to do well at. Sadly, hunters do not promote into horsemen in FE1, so his lack of promotion will probably make him lamer than the archers in the long run. And while his 20% Wlv growth blows, he's only one away from Silvers anyways, so really he's only locked out of Parthia.

Also I realized I never looked at Daros, so just imagine Saji with worse bases and growths, and you've got Daros...lovely. At least waterwalk might come in handy...maybe.

FireEmblemFirst152_zps96bd9eb5.png

Yes, he's on my team, we've already established that, moving on.

FireEmblemFirst153_zps0fe1102b.png

Pro use of chokepoints. That hunter will never know what hit him, come the next player phase.

FireEmblemFirst154_zps2ed3b141.png

I'd really like to get each of my axebros a Iron, Steel, and Hand Axe. Except Saji, he can live without the Steel Axe since he has the HAMMERTIME.

FireEmblemFirst155_zps2c1ba200.png

Guess what?

FireEmblemFirst156_zps76ae3f5e.png

I'm trading Bowgun again!

FireEmblemFirst160_zpse433fd3e.png

That waterwalking jerk! Little did he know, he was playing right into my plans all along!

FireEmblemFirst161_zpsad4f0c1b.png

WHY WE ALREADY HAVE WRYS

FireEmblemFirst162_zps940dcbe9.png

The bow finally made it's way to it's intended recipient. And it only took like, 20 unnecessary trades to get there! That's gotta be a new record.

FireEmblemFirst163_zpsa7e32732.pngFireEmblemFirst164_zpsac50a493.png

Jeigan is a pro at feeding boss kills to chumps, as I will soon demonstrate!

FireEmblemFirst165_zps16b5543f.pngFireEmblemFirst166_zps0cc5dc48.png

Well, that was rather unproductive.

FireEmblemFirst167_zps10c2a4ba.pngFireEmblemFirst168_zpsbfd259f1.png

AND SRC THOUGHT I WOULDN'T DO IT BUT I DID

You see, when clerics get attacked and LIVE (kind of the most important part), they get EXP equivalent to what they would've gotten if they had killed that enemy. Thus, if you stick a weak enemy type (i.e. thieves) which gives a lot of EXP (i.e. thieves) next to a cleric on a fort, you can watch them futilely hack away as you reap the rewards...theoretically anyways, most clerics in practice actually have such crummy growths that it's really only a good strat to get them to promotion level.

Which I will be doing for Wrys.

FireEmblemFirst170_zps1deda654.pngFireEmblemFirst171_zpsd42b3ffd.png

Man, screw this guy! Obligatory ragequit!

GET HYPED FOR SOME WRYS POWERLEVELING!

YOU ARE READING THE WRONG END OF THE UPDATE. I DON'T KNOW HOW IT'S DONE IN JAPAN, BUT IN AMERICA WE READ FROM TOP TO BOTTOM, LEFT TO RIGHT, AS IN GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME YOU BONEHEAD.