The Binding Blade

Guys, this was addressed in the mainsite:

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/news_2013b.html#1104

31293597.png

For reference, I will be referring to the sixth game as "Binding Blade" within the Awakening section, but I will continue to use its old name "Sword of Seals" elsewhere (until the game or a remake of it is released in English).

If you want to blame anything, blame Smash Bros. Melee trophy for the "mistake" in translation.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• 2 weeks later...

It seems foolishly stubborn to not refer to Binding Blade by an official English name just because the game itself wasn't released outside of Japan. D: It never will, so what's the point?

It seems foolishly stubborn to not refer to Binding Blade by an official English name just because the game itself wasn't released outside of Japan. D: It never will, so what's the point?

Because it's like updating old Final Fantasy spells from translation patches from "Fire 2" to "Fira".

Probably because the translation patch refers to it as such.

How'd you like to update the entire mainsite for every single entry of "Sword of Seals"? Vincent nearly did it for "Limit Breaker" just because someone said it was "Limit Break" and not "Limit Breaker".

Edited by shadowofchaos

Vincent nearly did it for "Limit Breaker" just because someone said it was "Limit Break" and not "Limit Breaker".

To clarify, I had it as "Limit Breaker" before the game came out in English. Then the English DLC trailer came along and said it was "Limit Break", so I changed it to that.

...And then weeks after Rogues and Redeemers 3 came out in English, I find out it's actually called "Limit Breaker" (and the trailer was wrong), so I went back again and changed it.

But back to the point... call me stubborn, but I'll only change the name when there's literally no room for doubt (i.e. the game comes out here and it's called Binding Blade) or if everybody and their mother petitions for the name change. In my view, FE13 isn't the bible when it comes to names--a slightly bad example, but I don't think FE2 would be called "Gaiden" here even though that's what FE13 calls it.

Besides, the way I see it, it's more likely people will identify with "Sword of Seals", which has been used in the translation patch and across the internet for ages, rather than "Binding Blade", which appears every now and again in references only.

That's a rather flimsy excuse to not change it. It's like a cylce. The longer we hold on to older fan names in fear of confusing the fans, more and more fans will not get used to he new names.

Oh well, it's not my site. Though pretty much every other place has begun changing it, including the Fire Emblem Wiki and TvTropes.

Though I was the one who edited all the TVTropes pages.

Oh well, it's not my site. Though pretty much every other place has begun changing it, including the Fire Emblem Wiki and TvTropes.

I remember the hassle KM64 caused on one of the FE wikis because of name links being broken as soon as the whole official NoJ names came out.

The is exactly the type of hassle Vincent is trying to avoid. The "edited by multiple fans" pages can do what they want, but I think he has the final say for the mainsite which I frankly agree with. "The Binding Blade" is actually a better translation of 封印の剣 in my personal opinion but matching it up with... what... a few DLC chapters in FE13 is a "Meh" move compared to matching it up with the terminology for how people can actually play it in English.

If anything, make the damn translation patch updated FIRST and THEN start complaining about the name on the mainsite.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Don't worry, I don't forsee any issues with broken links or anything : P

And changing the name would be a hassle, but that's not the main issue.

Firstly, I just don't trust NOA to be consistent, especially when it comes to cameos or references. Sure, they've remembered to faithfully use "Binding Blade" up to know, but they've slipped up or changed their minds on more than one occasion.

Dheginsea, Kyza, Orribes Bridge and the Tower of Guidance have different names between FE9 and FE10. Similarly, in FE9, Sephiran is called Duke Persis, Perseus and Belsys at various points in the game. More recently, they forgot to they renamed Larabel to Aimee in FE9/10 and left her as Larabel in FE11.

Secondly, this is just my personal opinion, but I don't consider cameos as canon and if I don't believe in something, I find it hard to act on it.

"The Binding Blade" is actually a better translation of 封印の剣 in my personal opinion but matching it up with... what... a few DLC chapters in FE13 is a "Meh" move compared to matching it up with the terminology for how people can actually play it in English.

If anything, make the damn translation patch updated FIRST and THEN start complaining about the name on the mainsite.

Well, for what it's worth, I've only seen fuuin as "seal," and both Rikaichan and Google Translate define fuuin in terms of "seal." Whether to use blade or sword, unless I'm mistaken, is just a matter of alliteration. Also, Rikaichan offers "ken" before "tsurugi" for 剣, and it seems from a quick check that both FE6 and FE7 use the same kanji for the sword part of the name. Why is one "ken" and the other "tsurugi?"

Why is one "ken" and the other "tsurugi?"

Because names. They tell you how to pronounce it and you accept it. That's the truth of Japanese names, especially game titles. Like "Sen no Kiseki" for instance.

And to summarize why I'm tried of names "discussions" in general, just take a look at the FE12 translation thread, FE4 translation patch thread, and FE5 translation patch thread.

I'm just gonna go with TheEnd's attitude upon seeing "Ced".

"I'm glad I know Japanese."

Edited by shadowofchaos

Don't worry, I don't forsee any issues with broken links or anything : P

And changing the name would be a hassle, but that's not the main issue.

Firstly, I just don't trust NOA to be consistent, especially when it comes to cameos or references. Sure, they've remembered to faithfully use "Binding Blade" up to know, but they've slipped up or changed their minds on more than one occasion.

Dheginsea, Kyza, Orribes Bridge and the Tower of Guidance have different names between FE9 and FE10. Similarly, in FE9, Sephiran is called Duke Persis, Perseus and Belsys at various points in the game. More recently, they forgot to they renamed Larabel to Aimee in FE9/10 and left her as Larabel in FE11.

Secondly, this is just my personal opinion, but I don't consider cameos as canon and if I don't believe in something, I find it hard to act on it.

Would it matter if NoE is using the name too?

I mean, most of the examples you are stating don't exist in the European versions... from what I remember at least.

They seem to care a lot more about consistency. They even kept the Brawl and Melee names.

Edited by BrightBow

The one thing that bothers me is that the game itself has never been referred to as "Sword of Seals" in official English text - just the sword itself, once, in Melee.

Whenever the game is given a subtitle, it has always been 'The Binding Blade' (or, failing that, just 'Binding Blade'.) Say what you will about consistency, once may be an incident and twice may be coincident but thrice is a pattern. It was known as 'The Binding Blade' on the old FE7 site, 'The Binding Blade' in Brawl, and now it is again 'The Binding Blade' for Awakening.

Are any one of these three sources always reliable? Goodness, no. The first was outdated with Seliph, the second gave us the myrmidon Nabaaru, and the third is only safe by virtue of its novelty. But... when it's been used all three times, I think they don't have any plans to change it.

Would it matter if NoE is using the name too?

I mean, most of the examples you are stating don't exist in the European versions... from what I remember at least.

They seem to care a lot more about consistency. They even kept the Brawl and Melee names.

Probably not.

It seems to me NOE just "cleans up" the names afterwards to make them consistent and doesn't have any real say, which I think is more important.

Are any one of these three sources always reliable? Goodness, no. The first was outdated with Seliph, the second gave us the myrmidon Nabaaru, and the third is only safe by virtue of its novelty. But... when it's been used all three times, I think they don't have any plans to change it.

Your first point is exactly why I'm not using it yet X D

But if "Binding Blade" appears again in Smash Bros. 4 and Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, I'll consider it.

The one thing that bothers me is that the game itself has never been referred to as "Sword of Seals" in official English text - just the sword itself, once, in Melee.

in all fairness Sword of Seals is a better name for the actual sword

not for the game title though

• 2 weeks later...

Well, "Binding Blade" does sound a bit too much like "Blazing Blade," which is one of the official epithets for Durandal. And from my personal experience, newcomers might have enough trouble telling the Sword of Seals and Durandal apart even without such similar epithets, let alone with them.

(It doesn't help that the Sword of Seals is actually a blazing blade, and that Durandal isn't...)

Edited by Paper Jam

• 1 month later...

It doesn't have an official English release yet. And even then, we still call FE1 "DDSOL" instead of "Shadow Dragon" for disambiguation; if FE6 gets a remake called "Binding Blade", we might do the same and call FE6 "Sword of Seals".