Biggest Mary Sue/Gary Stu

Chiki

Which is the biggest Mary Sue or Gary Stu of the series?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the biggest Mary Sue or Gary Stu?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get why Micaiah has so many votes. Out of that entire list she probably is the least mary sue.

She makes tons of mistakes and is imperfect, unlike a lot of other characters on the poll.

Edited by Sumia

She has magical powers and special hair, though! I mean, she does have Sueish traits, but she's really not as bad as people make her out to be. I suspect that some of it is because she is seen as a bad unit by a lot of people. I mean, Ike is liked by a lot of people, but he's pretty Sueish. Avatar doesn't get a whole lot of hate, but is very Sueish. Sigurd at least was adored, while Roy isn't particularly popular within FE. There seems to be a correlation between how good of a unit a lord is and how much they are liked.

Edit: In any case, Micaiah's the most interesting character on that list, IMO. She has to deal with moral issues (which massive group of people do I kill?) and makes potentially catastrophic mistakes. In comparison to "young noble who has to save his country #8," I'd says she's doing pretty well character-wise. She just wasn't executed well.

Edited by Rewjeo

The Avatar can use magic AND swords (as Chrom points out), he/she is a master strategist who is better than anyone and they get worshiped by pretty much everyone. If Chrom and the Avatar pair up, Chrom doesn't even get an ending. It only says that the Avatar loved Chrom above all else.

The Avatar can use magic AND swords (as Chrom points out), he/she is a master strategist who is better than anyone and they get worshiped by pretty much everyone. If Chrom and the Avatar pair up, Chrom doesn't even get an ending. It only says that the Avatar loved Chrom above all else.

Well, the Avatar IS a self-insert character, so it's not like they could give them much a personality.

I really don't get why Micaiah has so many votes. Out of that entire list she probably is the least mary sue.

She makes tons of mistakes and is imperfect, unlike a lot of other characters on the poll.

It's even more damning if you use the 'unrealistically perfect character that takes over the plot with her perfectness'. Micaiah has a lot of really visible sue traits, but she really stops being important after part 1, when Ike takes over and turns on god mode. But he's likeable, or at least badass, so he tends to get a pass.

I don't think anyone would deny that Avatar is one, but as everyone's already noted, that's probably the point. S/He's a self-insert and a main character, and the game assumes you're a competent enough player to deserve all the praise they're heaping on you.

Edited by Alg

I named my Avatar on my current file Mary Sue. She's the only one so far who hasn't been seriously RNG screwed. (Oh, and Fred got killed and made me reset twice. IN PARALOGUE 1.)

Shameless self-insert for the win, yo! He/she even steals the fucking Emblem and Chrom's all "dude, its cool, we still brahs." Im like "wut." Even for a self-insert, that is really egregious. Everybody loves the Avatar, even the villains. Validar is all "Avatar, i am your daddy! Come, lets make you a god!" Aversa is all "Im jellis because you are Grima's vessel, mang. But really, yer kinda awesome." Gangrel is all "lol whatevs." Walhart is all "FINALLY! A WORTHY OPPONENT!" Avatar can go torch an entire fleet and peeps be all "yeah its cool." Wut. The most physically attractive character in-universe stalks Avatar.

Avatar makes Micaiah look well rounded and flawed.

Wow.

Well, the definition of a Mary Sue isn't really how ideal a character is, but the way they are portrayed. For example, the fact that Micaiah is an overly-caring person isn't a Mary Sue trait, in my opinion I find it likable. The problem is that everyone honors her for it to an incredible degree, even when it led her to do less than ideal actions. The fact that she's a stellar tactician isn't a Mary Sue trait, the fact that she uses it to constantly give the "evil tactician" his deserved comeuppance on several occasions (often followed by praise) is the Mary Sue trait. It's not that she is the true Empress of Begnion, it's that she's the Empress for the sole reason of making her more ideal, rather than to evolve on her character on further the story.

While the Avatar shares those above traits, he/she doesn't have them portrayed in an over-idealized, Mary Sue way.

My vote is for Micaiah. (She got a lot better after part 1, but before that was really bad. I'm convinced that the first part was written by an amateur writer/Sothe fangirl who had Micaiah as their Mar Sue, and the writers for the last 2 parts had to deal with it the best they could without actually ret-conning anything the first part set up).

Well, the definition of a Mary Sue isn't really how ideal a character is, but the way they are portrayed. For example, the fact that Micaiah is an overly-caring person isn't a Mary Sue trait, in my opinion I find it likable. The problem is that everyone honors her for it to an incredible degree, even when it led her to do less than ideal actions. The fact that she's a stellar tactician isn't a Mary Sue trait, the fact that she uses it to constantly give the "evil tactician" his deserved comeuppance on several occasions (often followed by praise) is the Mary Sue trait. It's not that she is the true Empress of Begnion, it's that she's the Empress for the sole reason of making her more ideal, rather than to evolve on her character on further the story.

Radiant Dawn doesn't portray Micaiah as perfect though. Only people from Daein honour her and they get called deluded for over-idealizing her, while people from other countries doubt she can actually do everything ascribed to her.

Micaiah's tactics being better than Izuka gets her praised once, and even then only by Pelleas, who literally just praised Izuka for his plan. The second time her tactics are better, Sothe also gives reasons why Izuka's plan shouldn't be used, and Tauroneo says he wouldn't have let it happen anyway, and the resulting plan is implied to be all three of them coming up with it together. The attack on the swamp she does independantly from the army has Tauroneo (and presumably Fiona and Jill) agreeing with Izuka's concerns on the matter. Her tactics against the Apostle's Army get called extreme, with people expresseing disbelief and disgust that she'd try the tactics she does.

Radiant Dawn doesn't portray Micaiah as perfect though. Only people from Daein honour her and they get called deluded for over-idealizing her, while people from other countries doubt she can actually do everything ascribed to her.

Micaiah's tactics being better than Izuka gets her praised once, and even then only by Pelleas, who literally just praised Izuka for his plan. The second time her tactics are better, Sothe also gives reasons why Izuka's plan shouldn't be used, and Tauroneo says he wouldn't have let it happen anyway, and the resulting plan is implied to be all three of them coming up with it together. The attack on the swamp she does independantly from the army has Tauroneo (and presumably Fiona and Jill) agreeing with Izuka's concerns on the matter. Her tactics against the Apostle's Army get called extreme, with people expresseing disbelief and disgust that she'd try the tactics she does.

And Micaiah's tactics don't really work in 3-7 or 3-13 at all (she loses both times to Ike...even though in 3-13 you can KO Ike).

Also traits like being 'overly caring' had consequences for Micaiah. She spared Jarod who proceeded to kill the people of Nevassa. An actual choice that had negative consequences is rare among FE Lords.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I agree. Her actual actions aren't Mary-Sue like, it's just the way they are portrayed.

And Micaiah's tactics don't really work in 3-7 or 3-13 at all (she loses both times to Ike...even though in 3-13 you can KO Ike).

Also traits like being 'overly caring' had consequences for Micaiah. She spared Jarod who proceeded to kill the people of Nevassa. An actual choice that had negative consequences is rare among FE Lords.

She's really only a Mary Sue in the first part. I liked her a lot in the 3rd part.

Once again, the game never thought twice about the fact that she accidentally killed thousands. It doesn't take time to say it was a bad choice. it takes time to say "Jarod is a bad dude". I like Micaiah,I don't like the writing of the first part, and the writing makes a Mary Sue.

If Micaiah's a Mary Sue then what does that make Ike?

Yeah, Ike is genuinely a overall better person than Micaiah is. He has a lot of very admirable traits. What keeps him from being a Sue is that half the story of third part isn't the writers bashing you over the head with the blunt end of them.

Edited by MajorMajora

I agree. Her actual actions aren't Mary-Sue like, it's just the way they are portrayed.

What keeps him from being a Sue is that half the story of third part isn't the writers bashing you over the head with the blunt end of them.

yes they do

Calling Micaiah a Mary Sue has always seemed to me like exaggerating a few Sue traits and ignoring things that make her clearly not a Sue. Also bandwagoning; people started calling her a Mary Sue and everyone followed suit.

Avatar/Robin would probably be the most Sueish, but it's kind of justified.

I don't see Cordelia as a Mary Sue at all. She just has "I'm perfect" as her shtick, but has no impact on the plot.

People think Ike is a stu? WTF. Seriously. He's a deep character with various flaws and he's not "worshipped" by people for no good reason like Micaiah is. In the case of RD Ike, he already got much development and he's still not highly respected for no good reason. And he still has his flaws and people that don't like him or give him beef in both games. There isn't anything special about Ike either. He has no unique abilities, nothing. Unlike Micaiah, again.

I voted Micaiah. She's definitely a Sue if you ask me.

Edited by Anacybele

Calling Micaiah a Mary Sue has always seemed to me like exaggerating a few Sue traits and ignoring things that make her clearly not a Sue. Also bandwagoning; people started calling her a Mary Sue and everyone followed suit.

Avatar/Robin would probably be the most Sueish, but it's kind of justified.

I don't see Cordelia as a Mary Sue at all. She just has "I'm perfect" as her shtick, but has no impact on the plot.

Once again, it is not character traits that make a character Sueish. It's the writing.

Oh, and thanks Anacybele. Good way of putting it.

Edited by MajorMajora

Past like chapter 10 (probably earlier) of PoR, Ike is pretty Sueish. Everyone likes him and there are no negative consequences for his actions, regardless of whether or not they appear "bad" to the player. Then come RD he just hijacks the story is beloved and perfect and wins everything. If you ignore specific writing and just look at the characters in general, Micaiah is possibly the least Sueish lord. She just got written poorly.

People think Ike is a stu? WTF. Seriously. He's a deep character with various flaws and he's not "worshipped" by people for no good reason like Micaiah is. In the case of RD Ike, he already got much development and he's still not highly respected for no good reason. And he still has his flaws and people that don't like him or give him beef in both games. There isn't anything special about Ike either. He has no unique abilities, nothing. Unlike Micaiah, again.

I voted Micaiah. She's definitely a Sue if you ask me.

incoming 10 million Ike votes

Edited by shadykid