Things that piss me off

GHEB

Let's just say that I wish I had a dollar each time I see a "balance patch" for Fire Emblem 6. (Which is what I think OP is referring to.)

not only the abundance of weird balance patches, but also onmi's and KoT's "remakes." superluigi had one too at some point, but i don't know if it's still active.

anyway, i don't get it either. FE6 is a fine game as it is. everyone has his own narrow vision of what fire emblem should be and FE6 seems to be a particularly frequent target.

9. Translating レイ as "Lleu" (there is no such thing as a double-L in Japanese)

They're pronounced the same and makes sense that his brother's name is "Lugh".

My freaking name is レイ in katakana and it sure as hell isn't always spelled "Ray" like people always make out to be some unwritten law or something.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The official spelling of his name is Lleu anyway.

Unless the game is localized, I go with official spellings unless it's apparent that a spelling of a name is one that is supposed to be another but wasn't really spelled right. Possibly as a result of somebody's skill with English.

Edited by The Void

you wouldn't want to trust those books too much with localized names, anyway, since those japanese are quite creative when it comes to names that are not japanese...

What do you mean though? The only spelling that I recall seeing in a artbook that strikes me as questionable is that of the green haired archer girl from Blazing Sword's. Other spellings don't really strike as being like that

hello, caellach

(actually a lot of the FE8 names are really funky)

Isnt that pronounced "Kay-lack?" Cuz if it aint, well shit.

Edited by Florina Stark

1. Asking if Marth and Roy are in this game.

2. Using the spelling "Archaneia"

3. Rejecting the obvious OTP of Ike/Soren

4. Calling FE6 anything other than "Sword of Seals"

5. Calling Tear Ring Saga canon

6. Calling Smash Bros canon

7. Pretending we don't all know that Masked Marth is Lucina

8. Making FE6 remake hacks (shouldn't we just play FE6?)

9. Translating レイ as "Lleu" (there is no such thing as a double-L in Japanese)

I'll continue the list later.

1. I never asked that, always knew they were separate.

2. I can never spell it right anyway.

3. Yep, totally ignored, and I'm glad about it. Ike married a lovely girl and had a wonderful family, obviously.

4. It is officially Binding Blade.

5. Never played it or heard of it, what is it?

6. People actually do that?

7. I didn't when Awakening came out, then I started following all the Japanese news and it was spoiled for me.

8. Or they could officially localize it through 3DS eShop or something...

9. Well, it is officially "Raigh" now.

Isnt that pronounced "Kay-lack?" Cuz if it aint, well shit.

That's how I've always pronounced it, but Celtic pronunciations tend to kind of do their own things with the alphabet, so it's probably not that.

Being pedantic, it's actually The Binding Blade, but whatever.

There are a number of these that bug me. Like Leonster? What? They're pretty clearly Leinster, Connacht, etc. And then Scathach becomes Ulster? Way to miss really obvious references, NoA.

They're pretty clearly trying to avoid having locations that match real-world locations nowadays, if the changes to Orleans and Macedonia didn't give that away.

Scathach and Luchtaine were probably changed because the character they referenced was the opposite gender and just swapping them would cause no end of confusion. They at least knew what they were doing when they changed it, considering that Scathach is from the Ulster cycle of mythology.

Raquesis annoys me slightly, but I wouldn't doubt that it's either because they didn't notice the reference to 'Lachesis' in 'Rackesis', or simply didn't want people to completely butcher the name (e.g. La-cheeses, which is how I honestly pronounced it for much longer than I should have.)

Yen'fay doesn't seem like a meaningful change, but he's also not a meaningful character, so whatever. And while Rutoga's pretty poor, it's also from Smash, so I wouldn't actually call it canon at this point. Melee also gave us 'Akanea' and 'Dolua', later changed in both versions, while Brawl left us with the swordsman Nabaaru.

Edited by Iridium

Here's evidence that Ike is the direct ancestor of Priam. Priam has the Ragnell, and it's unlikely that he could have obtained it if he was not a direct descendant. Remember that Ike never saw anyone again after leaving, so Anri's situation with the Falchion couldn't have occurred.

Edited by Chiki

Here's evidence that Ike is the direct ancestor of Priam. Priam has the Ragnell, and it's unlikely that he could have obtained it if he was not a direct descendant. Remember that Ike never saw anyone again after leaving, so Anri's situation with the Falchion couldn't have occurred.

Whose to say he took it with him? Ragnell is a national treasure of Begnion, and I'm pretty sure Lehran would want to keep one of the last mementos he has of his wife close by.

1) People who feel LTC is the only way to play/rank.

2) Handaxes and Javelin's and how broken they are.

3) Mounted units being so broken.

4) People calling Micaiah a Mary Sue (She's really not)

5) People insisting on Ike/Soren/Ranulf (I don't have a problem with gay characters. Ike just isn't one of them)

6) FE8 haters (It's not a bad game)

7) Stefan lovers (Swordsman isn't special beyond that he lives in a desert and suddenly people love him to death. GAH! You want a Mary Sue? Stefan is much closer to one than Micaiah!)

8) 'I don't want this support. It makes me feel like a pedo/incest-lover/weird' people. (Look. 18 isn't some mystical age. In the US alone the legal age varies between 16 and 18 and throughout the world and history the age of consent has varied WILDLY. Studies have shown that it's not unusual for someone to lose their virginity at or before 15. In addition many of the things considered 'wrong' simply are not elsewhere in the world. The game shouldn't have to cowtoe to 21'st century American sexual standards.)

9) This isn't a REAL FE game. Only (older game) and older were real ones! (Just... stop.)

Whose to say he took it with him? Ragnell is a national treasure of Begnion, and I'm pretty sure Lehran would want to keep one of the last mementos he has of his wife close by.

He most likely did. The simplest hypothesis to explain this problem is that Ike took Ragnell with him when he left. Other explanations (like after Begnion's collapse, Ragnell soooomehow found its way into Priam's hands) seems more complex and less preferable.

He has Alondite. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the topic is officially off translation wars, I'll add to the conversation and say that the one thing I hate most is the "purist faction" that shows up all the time and complains about how the most recent game is crap and everything else is better.

Also, it's a very small thing, but I hate it when translations give characters bad names. Rutoga? Really? Especially since Rutger is an actual Western name. And Yen'fey?? Ren'ha could have been just as good. I prefer Barensia to Valentia. Belhalla is obviously supposed to be Valhalla. And Arvis?? Really?? Alvis is a name already!

This. Also, it might be just me, but I disliked switching groups in FE10. First, I was investing in the Dawn Brigade, then I had to deal with Elincia's group, then the Crimean Royal Knights (which only appeared in two maps in Part 2, but you can arguably defeat the Boss in the last one before they even arrive), then work with the GMs (the acronyms are more befitting of 'Game Masters' than 'Greil Mercenaries' btw).

I also dislike joke characters (Meg, Fiona, FE9!Sothe when you already had Volke, Tormod, FE10!Astrid), or characters with terrible growths altogether (like Leo and Sophia and arguably even Fiona).

1. Asking if Marth and Roy are in this game.

7. Pretending we don't all know that Masked Marth is Lucina

1. No one says that as often as they used to...

7. Masked Marth is Lucina?!

w-w-w-what?!!

jklol

Edited by Moulder