How about a FE with only 35 characters, tops? Maybe less?

The Void

With a cast that much or smaller, IS could do more to avoid redundancy among the playable characters. As well as changing how the various characters can take part in the story. As well as maybe tweaking the permadeath system.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be okay with only like 20 characters as long as they were really fleshed out and were genuinely interesting.

FE10 and FE11 have >50 units and none of them have much in the way of character (mostly looking at the FE11 cast here. Look at all those characters who NEVER have a line of dialogue in the game. FE10's new characters have no depth (Aran, Fiona, Kyza and Lyre are big offenders of this). I'm okay with FE12 because the support convos made the units rather interesting, even though there's like 70 of them.

I prefer a large cast of characters, so when I replay the game I'm given more options. That's why I like Radiant Dawn a lot.

I prefer a large cast of characters, so when I replay the game I'm given more options. That's why I like Radiant Dawn a lot.

Even though less than half of the characters are actually good?

In RD the majority of characters aren't actually horrible, even with availability issues, since you'll just favour the ones going into Endgame. Especially if you decide to play Easy mode, which allows you to level the entire Dawn Brigade at once if you so desire. Because you can pass around paragon, most of the units you want to use can be brought up to speed. Even Tormod in part 4 can go from base level to Archsage in his re-emergence chapter. I actually like the huge cast of Radiant Dawn and constantly changing cast, if only because it reminds me of Advance Wars in a way where I have to work with the resources I'm given and not just stick with what I'm used to every map.

I like a cast of ~40 units, personally. Sacred Stones feels a bit thin after however many playthroughs. I just wish lategame units were frequently better than what you get. That Lucia isn't appreciably better than Stefan in FE9 despite joining way later is kind of depressing in its own way.

Even though less than half of the characters are actually good?

I don't even pay attention to what units are "good." One of my favourite things about Fire Emblem is replaying the game several times, using a few different characters each time, and changing the experience each time. I could use a bunch of top tier characters each run, but where's the fun in that when I can mix it up a bit and have a brand new experience.

In RD the majority of characters aren't actually horrible, even with availability issues, since you'll just favour the ones going into Endgame. Especially if you decide to play Easy mode, which allows you to level the entire Dawn Brigade at once if you so desire. Because you can pass around paragon, most of the units you want to use can be brought up to speed. Even Tormod in part 4 can go from base level to Archsage in his re-emergence chapter. I actually like the huge cast of Radiant Dawn and constantly changing cast, if only because it reminds me of Advance Wars in a way where I have to work with the resources I'm given and not just stick with what I'm used to every map.

I like a cast of ~40 units, personally. Sacred Stones feels a bit thin after however many playthroughs. I just wish lategame units were frequently better than what you get. That Lucia isn't appreciably better than Stefan in FE9 despite joining way later is kind of depressing in its own way.

experienced branded swordsman is much better than young Crimean noble? I am shocked

(why is the Crimean army the biggest pushover in Tellius, seriously)

Edited by shadykid

Except for the bit where none of the units are available in every chapter and only Ilyana has anything like good availability (by the standards of other games). Most characters are available to use for less than half the game.

I wouldn't mind a cast of characters that was a bit small (like Awakening's, not including DLC and Spotpass), but not too small. I think 40 is as low as I'd go. I just want to have a decent amount of options, y'know.

But fe2 needs to be remade.

That is true. FE's main problem isn't his number of character, though.. (things like no balance of classes and developpement, for example...)

Except for the bit where none of the units are available in every chapter and only Ilyana has anything like good availability (by the standards of other games). Most characters are available to use for less than half the game.

But that's the joy of it.

but Sacred Stones was lame....

Just because one instance of <35 characters was lame doesn't mean they'll all be lame by default. Plus Sacred Stones had all of the redundancy, it was crazy.

Also FE4 was totally great.

Just because one instance of <35 characters was lame doesn't mean they'll all be lame by default. Plus Sacred Stones had all of the redundancy, it was crazy.

Also FE4 was totally great.

hey I never said otherwise

gameplay is terribly unbalanced though

Sacred Stones had a better story than Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon, and part of that can be tied to the characters.

Also, GotHW wasn't the pinnacle of balance but it really wasn't more unbalanced than RD is. At best, they're even. At worse, RD is worse when it comes to character balance.

Edited by The Void