SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Easier to do combos with slightly slower speed.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, no little piece of info on Ike... Sakurai must be saving that for E3. I'm cool with that though. ^^

I can wait if it means seeing actual footage of my favorite hero. :3

Oh, no little piece of info on Ike... Sakurai must be saving that for E3. I'm cool with that though. ^^

I can wait if it means seeing actual footage of my favorite hero. :3

I think revealing Ike now was to whet our tastebuds for E3 in a few weeks, and then they'll go in detail on him and whatever other characters get announced.

Easier to do combos with slightly slower speed.

That depends, in Brawl "combos" were almost non-existent infinite abusive chaingrabs aside because despite the lower speed there wasn't much hitstun to speak of and the airdodge was godlike.

Assuming Melee-like hitstun however yes, it's easier.

Edited by Jackos

Not too big an update for today, but it's a nice change nonetheless. I usually don't stay on the revival platform for long anyways, unless someone's got a really powerful item or has/is using their final smash.

@ shinpichu's post: I'm not sure if I believe the demo roster leak (at least, the ones without Ridley and Pac-Man). I mean, the menu style looks accurate enough, especially when it's compared to the "For Fun and for Glory" menu screen that was shown in the direct. 50 characters for the roster also seems believable enough.

As for things that make me skeptical about it being real, all the locked character boxes come to mind. I know 64 and Melee used locked character boxes, but even for a demo it seems really weird that they're filling all the (as of now) non-playable character slots with locks, especially since they practically tell us the exact amount of playable characters. Also, I'd think for the demo that they'd not use the locked boxes, since they spoil quite a bit like how many characters a certain series might be getting and such. Besides the lock boxes, the only other things I'm skeptical on is the costume color option being next to the match option (Sakurai is all about making menus and selection convenient, so putting the color option in the top right corner is really breaks away from quickness and convenience) and the 3's in all of the selected player boxes (unless that corresponds to each player getting 3 lives in the match and being able to change the life amount for each player separately, though if that's the case it's strange that the 3 doesn't show up when Marth was selected in the first screenshot).

All analysis aside, I actually want to believe that's the real SSB4 character select screen. Once it's filled up, it'll be a really nice looking yet really big character select screen. I also like how unlike 64 or Melee's character select screen, it doesn't do anything really weird in terms of prioritizing character importance improperly like how 64 had Luigi before Mario, Melee had Zelda before Link and Falco before Fox, and such. I don't know why, but it really grates my gears seeing that despite being such a small detail. I'm really big on important characters in rosters getting a proper character slot location for whatever reason. It's also quite strange how besides the rather fake and edited looking Ridley and Pac-Man screenshots, they don't show anything new. Maybe they're keeping the E3 2014 newcomers locked in case someone leaked screenshots of the demo roster before E3?

Plus, if those leaked screenshots happen to be real, we'll be able to use the roster layout to be able to predict the roster and see what series will likely be getting new characters, and such (eg: Palutena being more likely due to the empty slot to the right of Pit). I'm actually tempted to make a separate thread for trying to figure out the roster based on those pics and rumours like the Gematsu leaks.

As for what I think of the demo roster character choices, I'm good with it: all the really important characters (like the original 8) are there and they aren't weirdly representing the series like having Meta Knight and no Kirby or Ike and no Marth (though those 2 cases in Brawl were understandable since Kirby's ability copy takes a while to program and polish, and Sakurai was really hush-hush about the unlockable characters that weren't 3rd parties). I've got three of my mains in that demo roster and a few of my secondaries. The only nitpicks I can think of is Bowser and Rosalina not being there, though I suppose three main Mario characters is enough for a demo roster and Rosalina would take a while to program and polish compared to most characters due her her Luma tagteam mechanic. I was hoping they'd put in Bowser over Peach though, especially since they kept stating and showing that Bowser is revamped and strengthened, and I wanted to see how for myself at the demo station.

Combos in Melee are also more difficult to define than in most such games, because directional input/teching can make a lot of things less than guaranteed.

I was going to say "things that would be considered 'combos' are a little bit harder to grok in the smash series at large," but then I remembered 64 and haha nooooot so much then

(an obligatory reminder that, while it had faster fall speed than 64 (IIRC?), not counting SSB4, Melee constitutes a middle ground between 64 and Brawl in terms of combos/hitstun. We had blockstun infinites in 64)

(think about that for a second. Blockstun. Infinites.)

I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to make Ike the default FE rep again like he was in Brawl. Ike may be a little more widely known, I think, because both his games went international while Marth only has one game outside of Japan. Plus, Marth has always been unlockable.

I'm starting to think, in fact, that Marth was revealed first because his model and animations likely took a much shorter time to make. Ike's RD design is detailed as hell and much bigger.

But there IS a chance that Sakurai may instead pull a switcheroo and have Marth be default with Ike unlockable. Or both could be default while a third FE character is unlockable. Who knows?

Edited by Anacybele

Seeing RD Ike being in has sparked my inner Micaiah fanboy to want her in Smash again. Unlikely as it is...sigh. Would be so cool to have a mage woman rep from FE though.

Celica would've been cool. Swords and magic gogogo.

But there IS a chance that Sakurai may instead pull a switcheroo and have Marth be default with Ike unlockable. Or both could be default while a third FE character is unlockable. Who knows?

I want Marth to be the default FE rep, while Ike, and possible 3rd FE character are unlockable.

I do agree with you when you say Ike is more widely known, but Marth is the first ever. imo, i thought it would make more sense to have Marth as the default and Ike unlockable. But it's not like it makes a difference anyways. They're still both great characters.

I would prefer Ike to stay default so I can use at least ONE of my mains right away (Luigi is always unlockable). xP

But I guess as long as the requirements aren't too insane, I could be fine with both being unlockable.

Yeah, I don't really know how you feel, to be honest.

Now that Samus / Zero Suit are split up... I really don't know who's gonna be the default from Metroid (or if they're BOTH going to be default).

And Zelda / Sheik too! But I can almost guarantee myself that Zelda will be a default from the Zelda series. Sheik, I'm not too sure about, but it's not like I use her as much as Zelda (and I don't use Zelda HALF as much as Zero Suit).

I really hope at least either Samus / Zero Suit is unlockable. I like working towards a goal.

Exactly why I want Avatar over Chrom or Lucina. :P

...Or exactly why Celica would work. She did the whole Swords and Magic thing before Avatar made it cool.

She's a hipster, though I doubt you'd know seeing as you haven't played Fire Emblem Gaiden.

fire_emblem_celica_of_valencia_by_meibat

Fanart link because her official arts are utter shit.

Nobody ever has anything to say when I bring up the blockstun infinites in 64 :smith:

^Sorry, but I have no idea what those are. xP

As for Celica, I never said she wouldn't work. She's just pretty much unknown out here whereas Avatar isn't. A lot of fans would be like "who the heck is she?" if Celica was in the roster.

It's where, after you hit somebody while they're blocking, they don't come out of blockstun quick enough to stop you before you attack them again, so you can just keep hitting their shield until you pierce it.

Yeah, that's Smashboards being Smashboards. I remember them all being total serious about everything. Rumors, screenshots, speculation, whatever. xP

Am I the only one that, assuming we get a The Last Story rep, would love to see Calista over Zael?

Oh hai :awesome:. I'd really love a The Last Story rep, Calista is just awesome with her Holy magic and healing/shield abilities. Final Smash? Summon Sentinel Beast Mitra Holy Shit omg da hype /o\! To be fair, both Zael and Calista should be in SSB4. Lady Calista yes <3

Calista.png

Edited by Quintessence

Smashboards: Where a general consensus will never be reached. They only JUST finished looking at the Char. Select screensgots.

People were still debating the Palutena leak there months after it was shown off.

Kinda why I love hanging out there. :>