SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Self-explanatory

ny4cTVG.jpg

6496931629_3f300c4505.jpg

Seriously, I've seen a lot of TL hate because of him being a clone. It's died down since he was first revealed for Smash 4, but it was there. Lucina isn't a special case.

I'm sure some of it might have to do with people (wrongly) thinking that Lucina "took" this or that FE characters "spot" on the roster.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a poor comparison. Toon Link isn't as much of a clone of regular Link as Lucina is of Marth. Toon Link has a different boomerang, different aerials, etc. Lucina has every single one of Marth's moves. Her only differences are her speed and lack of a tipper.

I would also say that Falco and Wolf are more "Luigified" than her as well.

:facepalm:

I just explained Mewtwo, and my reasoning is the same with the captain. At least, I'm pretty sure F-Zero fans want him back.

Captain Falcon may be front of the line for an F-Zero character in Smash, but why do we need an F-Zero character? It's dead, and unlike Star Fox it seems there's no desire from Nintendo to revive it. Only reasons to keep him are 1) Being part of the "original 12", and 2)Insane popularity in the Smash community, and TBH reason 2 is the only reason anyone really wants him back.

Captain Falcon may be front of the line for an F-Zero character in Smash, but why do we need an F-Zero character? It's dead, and unlike Star Fox it seems there's no desire from Nintendo to revive it. Only reasons to keep him are 1) Being part of the "original 12", and 2)Insane popularity in the Smash community, and TBH reason 2 is the only reason anyone really wants him back.

This is stupid.

All I said was that a character who only has popularity in Smash shouldn't return just for that. I didn't say there weren't other possible factors that could be good reason for a character to return. What does Captain Falcon have that Roy doesn't?

1. Likely popularity within his own fanbase.

2. The rep for his own fucking franchise.

3. Three time Smasher.

Yes, repping franchises matters, even dead ones (lol let's cut Game & Watch and Megaman). That's why I'd like to see Shulk, and I haven't even played Xenoblade.

This is stupid.

All I said was that a character who only has popularity in Smash shouldn't return just for that. I didn't say there weren't other possible factors that could be good reason for a character to return. What does Captain Falcon have that Roy doesn't?

3. Three time Smasher.

Yes, repping franchises matters, even dead ones (lol let's cut Game & Watch and Megaman). That's why I'd like to see Shulk, and I haven't even played Xenoblade.

I know it isn't the same when comparing Falcon with Roy, but honestly, you're simply letting your anti-Roy bias get in the way of your vision.

Roy is the same with Mewtwo, unlike what you said before. Some FE fans like Roy, some Pokemon fans like Mewtwo. Both have their share of Smash-only fans.

I think Integrity explained it best with the Hsien-Ko and Project X Zone comparison.

Um.... no need to pull the bias card here. As a fan of Roy and one who wishes he was still around, I can honestly agree with Red Fox that realistically, Roy prolly won't be coming back, and it'd take a miracle for that to happen.

maybe DLC, but thats a whole other thing entirely

This is stupid.

3. Three time Smasher.

Yes, repping franchises matters, even dead ones (lol let's cut Game & Watch and Megaman).

1. This is true.

2. But why does it need representation? Yes, it's important to represent a wide variety of franchises, but that doesn't mean every Nintendo franchise that ever existed should get a playable character in Smash. Why have an F-Zero character when we could have one from a newer, not-so-dead franchise like Pushmo or Dillon's Rolling Western?

3. So he should be in Smash because he's been in Smash a bunch already?

That's why I'd like to see Shulk, and I haven't even played Xenoblade.

I find it funny that you criticise Roy fans for wanting him back despite not having played the game he was originally from, yet you want Shulk in Smash despite never having played his debut game. Not saying you can't support/want him though. As a Roy fan, how could I. ;)

Um.... no need to pull the bias card here. As a fan of Roy and one who wishes he was still around, I can honestly agree with Red Fox that realistically, Roy prolly won't be coming back, and it'd take a miracle for that to happen.

maybe DLC, but thats a whole other thing entirely

His chances for being in the main game are almost certainly shot. However, there's always DLC, or even the possibility of him being in a future game.

For the record, I liked Roy in Melee and his own game. I don't think it's logical of fair should he come back and have very little faith that he will even with DLC, there are better options than him out there. Despite that I'd be happy as Lalum if he did somehow manage to come back. I'd love to see him come back but any actual chance he has is just wishful thinking.

For the record, I liked Roy in Melee and his own game. I don't think it's logical of fair should he come back and have very little faith that he will even with DLC, there are better options than him out there. Despite that I'd be happy as Lalum if he did somehow manage to come back. I'd love to see him come back but any actual chance he has is just wishful thinking.

I think Roy would be a great DLC choice, despite the fact that I didn't want him on the main roster. I think using DLC to bring back characters who were cut from previous Smash games would be possibly the best use of character DLC.

I know it isn't the same when comparing Falcon with Roy, but honestly, you're simply letting your anti-Roy bias get in the way of your vision.

Roy is the same with Mewtwo, unlike what you said before. Some FE fans like Roy, some Pokemon fans like Mewtwo. Both have their share of Smash-only fans.

I think Integrity explained it best with the Hsien-Ko and Project X Zone comparison.

There is no bias here. I don't have any particular dislike for Roy, I just think every other character on the Smash roster (barring possibly Sheik), as well as multiple other characters not on the roster, deserve to be in much more than him.

Roy is not the same as Mewtwo, the particular difference being that Pokemon fans actually like Mewtwo (Mewtwo also has more relevance to Pokemon than Roy does to FE). Sure, some FE fans like Roy, but polls have proven that Roy is the least-preferred FE lord in the series.

1. This is true.

2. But why does it need representation? Yes, it's important to represent a wide variety of franchises, but that doesn't mean every Nintendo franchise that ever existed should get a playable character in Smash. Why have an F-Zero character when we could have one from a newer, not-so-dead franchise like Pushmo or Dillon's Rolling Western?

3. So he should be in Smash because he's been in Smash a bunch already?

It doesn't "need" representation, but it's a good reason to include Captain Falcon over someone like Roy because that's what SSB is all about.

And yes, Smash is a series in itself. A character that has been in every entry has relevance to the series itself. Roy doesn't have that. If Roy had been in Brawl? I'd be more split on the matter, but I'd still consider his inclusion very lucky since he otherwise is not a good choice for the spot.

I find it funny that you criticise Roy fans for wanting him back despite not having played the game he was originally from, yet you want Shulk in Smash despite never having played his debut game. Not saying you can't support/want him though. As a Roy fan, how could I. ;)

Because Shulk represents a new series and I like seeing new series get representation. Xenoblade has also gained a huge following despite its limited release, and I'd also like to play the game myself. I don't have any attachment to the character, but the reasons I'd like to see him are the not the same reasons people want Roy back.

Because Shulk represents a new series and I like seeing new series get representation. Xenoblade has also gained a huge following despite its limited release, and I'd also like to play the game myself. I don't have any attachment to the character, but the reasons I'd like to see him are the not the same reasons people want Roy back.

So tell me, what are the reasons you think people want Roy back for?

Legit curious here. You say that the reasons that you want Shulk are different than the reasons people want Roy with such disdain that I'm curious what you think those reasons are.

So tell me, what are the reasons you think people want Roy back for?

Legit curious here. You say that the reasons that you want Shulk are different than the reasons people want Roy with such disdain that I'm curious what you think those reasons are.

Have I not answered all of these questions already? I'm pretty sure I have.

People want Roy because he was in Melee and they liked him in Melee. Note that the large majority of these people have not played his game.

I want Shulk because he represents a new series (Roy does not have this) and fans of said series also want Shulk (Roy does not have this).

Compared to when he was first shown off to the E3 tournament/Smash Events, Little Mac seems low tier. I never knew how important an air game was in Smash until recently. Characters with good zoning like Marth and Zero Suit Samus will destroy Mac in a 1v1 match.

Tbf Ica that's not quite fair as Lucina has all the properties of marth sans the tipper mechanic which is pretty lame. Although I think Toon link is a lame clone as well, Wolf/Falco are good clones though (similar but different).

ORLY

You know this how exactly?

I'm going to have to agree with RFoF here. The Mewtwo comparison is going too far. Mewtwo is BY FAR the most wanted Pokemon for Smash 4 (and possibly even the most wanted character), and while roy has popularity on par with most other FE characters WRT Smash, he doesn't dwarf them like Mewtwo does.

Have I not answered all of these questions already? I'm pretty sure I have.

Apologies, I must not have seen it.

People want Roy because he was in Melee and they liked him in Melee. Note that the large majority of these people have not played his game.

So it doesn't matter why they liked him? What if they saw promise in his playstyle and want to see it expanded/improved upon? Or maybe they like his visual gimmick? Don't see how those are inherently inferior to "I want this character because he's from a new franchise."

It can't just be nostalgia. Otherwise, where's the demand for Doc, Pichu and Young Link to return (yes I am aware that there are advocates of those characters, but there's not demand on the same level that there is for Roy)

I want Shulk because he represents a new series (Roy does not have this) and fans of said series also want Shulk (Roy does not have this).

Didn't you yourself just admit that, while not every FE fan likes Roy, he does have his supporters in the FE fandom? And it's not like, once you get past Marth and Ike, there's an overwhelming consensus of who "FE fans" want to see in Smash. The only consensus I saw around here was "not Chrom" and even that wasn't universal.

Edited by shinpichu

You know...I hope that Sakurai and his team implement an alt coloration or outfit of the tactician from Blazing Blade for Robin. That'd be a nice reference.

Edited by Dai

So it doesn't matter why they liked him? What if they saw promise in his playstyle and want to see it expanded/improved upon? Or maybe they like his visual gimmick? Don't see how those are inherently inferior to "I want this character because he's from a new franchise."

What do you want from characters in SSB? A one-off character from one of Nintendo's lesser-known franchises whose game was never even released internationally and who fans of the series he's from largely don't even like? Sure, popularity in the Smashdom is something, but a character with only that should not get in.

It can't just be nostalgia. Otherwise, where's the demand for Doc, Pichu and Young Link to return (yes I am aware that there are advocates of those characters, but there's not demand on the same level that there is for Roy)

This is largely irrelevant and I also don't think they should return unless as costume swaps.

Didn't you yourself just admit that, while not every FE fan likes Roy, he does have his supporters in the FE fandom? And it's not like, once you get past Marth and Ike, there's an overwhelming consensus of who "FE fans" want to see in Smash. The only consensus I saw around here was "not Chrom" and even that wasn't universal.

Every character is going to have a supporter somewhere. The few FE fans who actually want Roy back are just that, few. But while there may not be a specific character every FE fans wants to see, what they definitely do want to see is someone who does not use a sword; sorry, Roy, still not making the cut (this is also part of the reason for the "not Chrom" advocates).

You mean the all green robe with the brown hair?

The very one. Stylized to match the Awakening one naturally, but yes.

Japan wants Ghirahim. Thumbs up. :D

I would've expected Lucina to be requested more often than Chrom in the FE department though.

Edited by Anacybele

Sakurai has a habit of being vague. I think he's referring to her status as a clone, rather than literally saying that the tipper is the ONLY difference between them. Even in Melee when clones were at their cloniest, there was still enough of significance to differentiate most clones from one another, and I don't see why that wouldn't be the case now as well.

Edited by BANRYU