SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Well, true. But as Red Fox said, the differences are hard to see. I just don't see why female Robin couldn't have had more differences like the Wii Fit Trainers do.

Probably because there aren't many differences in their models in the first place.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's games that have a huge amount of carefully-crafted content in general. Some games are criticized for being lazy, and in some cases, that's fair because they ARE lazy. Games by studios like Data Design Interactive-- which created 3 games that were 100% identical save for their visual assets (and plenty flat and terrible aside)-- are rightly called lazy. And there are of course less extreme examples, like games with cheap difficulty, which can also be called lazy. But 'lazy' is not a word that I would ever think to use-- not lightly, anyway-- about any game in the Smash Bros. series. Just about the only instance I'd accuse any of them of being lazy was with some of Brawl's physics (like how the modified sizes from items like the mushrooms or Lightning are super wonky, and items now grow and shrink WITH you rather than staying the same size like they did in Melee), and its higher difficulty curves, which basically just up the odds against you to unfair levels... but even then I'm reluctant to call the game lazy because of all the other shit that went into it.

Do you get what I mean now?

Aye. I think it is still possible to call a certain aspect of a game 'lazy', though, even if the rest is not.

Probably because there aren't many differences in their models in the first place.

But there are more differences in their portraits. They could've referenced those as well.

Edited by Anacybele

But there are more differences in their portraits. They could've referenced those as well.

What differences are you referring to?

As a small aside, also recall that the promotional artwork for the game needed to keep Robin's features ambiguous, so the models for both genders needed to be practically identical when wearing the tactician cloak for consistency.

It's probably more of a case of forgotten or untested piece of work than lazy but some of Snake's hitboxes in Brawl are hilariously misplaced. Someone, I think SoC posted an example a couple of dozen pages back. Could have jest been very lazy work though. But no harm done, it looks pretty funny and at least in my case I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out.

Oh yeah, lots of people know about Snake's infamous up-tilt. Hits Snake's foes from opposite sides of Final Destination and whatnot lol. No I'm sure that wasn't deliberate, much like Meta Knight being OP, but lazy might-- MIGHT-- be an appropriate description for that. More likely it's something like they ran out of time and were too busy fixing bugs or some shit, who can say really? It's definitely an unfortunate oversight though.

Since Smash 3U supposedly started as a port of Brawl (which, if I'm not mistaken, was built from the ground-up instead), I'm hoping that means there are less gratuitous hitbox problems, since they have more time to build and improve the characters rather than rebuild them from scratch or whatever actually happened in Brawl.

But again, it's too soon to say on this, really. At least we know from a lot of accounts at E3 that the physics and mechanics look to be as tight as ever.

Aye. I think it is still possible to call a certain aspect of a game 'lazy', though, even if the rest is not.

Eh, I suppose that's true enough. Maybe I was overreacting a little. Still, in a game with so much content I don't think it's too much to ask to grant them a little leniency for cutting corners so long as the end result is still at least satisfactory, you know?

Edited by BANRYU

As a small aside, also recall that the promotional artwork for the game needed to keep Robin's features ambiguous, so the models for both genders needed to be practically identical when wearing the tactician cloak for consistency.

This is key. In promotional artwork, Robin's face and hair is almost never shown and the body type is always ambiguous. The extremely minor difference in character model for Robin is actually just being consistent with the games. In the hooded portraits of Grima, you can see they went with a male neck and chin, but it's supposed to stand in for both Robins. In the HQ render, female Robin's coat is a little more form fitting and you can see the shirt hangs over small breasts, but it's subtle and realistic. Whereas the WFT is wearing form fitting yoga clothes and so therefore they *can't* just use similar bodies.

Bear in mind in the supports with Chrom, he even doesn't really notice Robin's female characteristics (as silly and anime as that support is and how much it doesn't make sense for the tall and busty body type). And realistically a loose, heavy coat or sweater and layered clothing on even a busty female will definitely reduce the appearance of breasts. Honestly I'm pretty happy that female Robin is the way she is, because we have enough sexy or girly-girl types to play as. Lucina, Robin, and female versions of the Villager and Miis are a nice contrast, because every gender should have broad representation.

The shading differences on female Robin's shirt to show she has boobs.

And yeah, but that consistency is shot by the existence of a really busty female build. The Robins shown in the official art are all flat chested.

Edited by Anacybele

Why are y'all fixating on boobs? I get this is the internet, but are we really resorting to the lowest common denominator?

Just curious honestly. Personally, I don't care about bust size this or detail that.

You got both genders of Robin. Rejoice.

The shading differences on female Robin's shirt to show she has boobs.

And yeah, but that consistency is shot by the existence of a really busty female build. The Robins shown in the official art are all flat chested.

By that logic we should also have shota and lolita versions of Robin as well, and the tall, muscular version of male Robin if we're going to ask Sakurai to include the tall, busty version of female Robin. At some point you have to cut your losses on how many assets you're going to commit to a single character. Robin already has more time spent on the character than most others by even having alternate hair, let alone gender.

This isn't Super Smash Fire Emblem. There's already 4(5 character models) FE reps who do a whole lot to showcase the series. Now we're just getting into unimportant minutia.

Edited by Samias

By that logic we should also have shota and lolita versions of Robin as well, and the tall, muscular version of male Robin if we're going to ask Sakurai to include the tall, busty version of female Robin.

Samias, you're just clearly jealous of my busty, hime-cut rule 63 self.

Pk5jDJz.gif

In all seriousness, they're going with default.

Why should they care about the other versions of Rufure/Robin?

Samias, you're just clearly jealous of my busty, hime-cut rule 63 self.

Pk5jDJz.gif

In all seriousness, they're going with default.

Why should they care about the other versions of Rufure/Robin?

I, too, use busty hime-cut Robin, though with light blue hair. But I'm not going to complain that my EXACT character preference hasn't made it into the game. I have done 3D modeling and it's a pain in the ass to make each model and then texture and rig it. I don't blame anyone for taking shortcuts when they can. Everyone does. That's how you meet deadlines. Especially for things like trophies, I don't really care that not every model is a unique, original piece specifically for Smash Bros because that would take hundreds, if not thousands of hours of extra work.

I, too, use busty hime-cut Robin, though with light blue hair. But I'm not going to complain that my EXACT character preference hasn't made it into the game. I have done 3D modeling and it's a pain in the ass to make each model and then texture and rig it. I don't blame anyone for taking shortcuts when they can. Everyone does. That's how you meet deadlines.

Listen to this person, people... The next time you complain about clone characters, think about how much work it takes to MAKE said clone character.

That's not even talking about animations.

Sometimes I feel so stupid in this thread. When it comes to logic anyways.

And, lesson learned. I almost never complain in this thread. If I do, I know what's coming for me. I tend to be wrong about conversations "like these", so I mostly stay out of them and make posts "like these" until said argument looks like it's over.

And the dancing girl with squirrel ears and a tail as my avatar isn't helping me.

Hey, I don't think it's THAT big a deal. I just thought they could've done a bit more on female Robin's model, that's it. Not that it was an absolute necessity and not doing so is an abomination or anything. xP

This isn't Super Smash Fire Emblem. There's already 4(5 character models) FE reps who do a whole lot to showcase the series. Now we're just getting into unimportant minutia.

Speaking of minutia, I think it's actually 6. I'm assuming your fifth is female Robin, and they also fully modeled Chrom for Robin's FS as well. (Seriously, I hope the Chrom fanboys clamoring for his playability at least appreciate what an honor that is for a character who's neither playable, an AT, nor a boss, especially one with a design as complex as Chrom.)

I, too, use busty hime-cut Robin, though with light blue hair. But I'm not going to complain that my EXACT character preference hasn't made it into the game. I have done 3D modeling and it's a pain in the ass to make each model and then texture and rig it. I don't blame anyone for taking shortcuts when they can. Everyone does. That's how you meet deadlines. Especially for things like trophies, I don't really care that not every model is a unique, original piece specifically for Smash Bros because that would take hundreds, if not thousands of hours of extra work.

This. This right here. This, RFoF, is what I'm talking about when I'm crying out against people who talk about laziness. And Samias gets it, so he's lenient. I, a budding/wannabe game designer, get it, so I'm lenient. I don't think many people who complain about laziness really truly understand the work that goes into this stuff... Or at least, I'm not seeing a ton of evidence that they do. v

Hey, I don't think it's THAT big a deal. I just thought they could've done a bit more on female Robin's model, that's it. Not that it was an absolute necessity and not doing so is an abomination or anything. xP

This is kind of borderline what I was talking about above and/or earlier with my unknowledgeable book critic analogy.

Ultimately, they kept it true to her design, so isn't that what matters?

Edited by BANRYU

Speaking of minutia, I think it's actually 6. I'm assuming your fifth is female Robin, and they also fully modeled Chrom for Robin's FS as well. (Seriously, I hope the Chrom fanboys clamoring for his playability at least appreciate what an honor that is for a character who's neither playable, an AT, nor a boss, especially one with a design as complex as Chrom.)

I didn't count Lyn or Chrom because they aren't playable, but it just goes to show that Sakurai has gone above and beyond the representation than what a series like FE even really deserves proportional to its sales numbers and importance to Nintendo. And in Brawl we even got stickers of relatively minor characters like Navarre and Rutger who are nonetheless well liked by the players of Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem and Binding Blade, respectively. Sure they used the existing art assets, but it just goes to show how deep of a love Sakurai has of FE to go as far to include all this content beyond the core game. It's not even his series like Kid Icarus or Kirby!

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, July 25, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, July 25, 2014 - No reason given

After I finish Gundam Wing I'm going to rewatch Yu-Gi-Oh GX but this time in subs. For the record I thought the English voices we're funny and don't have anything against them.

Sorry wrong thread please delete this!!! Sorry :(

Edited by Guy Starwind

Hmm. So we have it confirmed that the 3DS version has no Classic/Events/Stadium modes or anything of the sort. I suppose the WiiU version will be the one to have those. TBH it's a little disappointing that the 3DS version won't at least have Classic, but I can live with it.

I guess this goes to show that the two versions are really meant to be more like a set, huh?

Still, I might be wrong about some stuff like Break the Targets or HRC or whatever. I'm curious for more details on these 'Challenge' and 'Games and More' sections. I'm guessing 'Challenge' is cheevs and unlockables and whatnot, similar to the golden hammer-wall screen from Brawl... 'Games and More' probably has trophies, but who knows what else?

Also, wasn't Smash Run also supposed to be available in multiplayer or am I crazy?

Edited by BANRYU

To be honest, I won't mind (in fact, I think it would be cool) if the Wii U version was sort of the "main" version, with the standard 1P/co-op modes and such, while the 3DS version is more like a bonus version with new modes never really done before in the series. It would make sense since the Wii U version will likely sell more and will be the main hub for multiplayer.

It will be disappointing if it feels like one game split into two, but I have enough faith in Sakurai to not be too worried about that.

To be honest, I won't mind (in fact, I think it would be cool) if the Wii U version was sort of the "main" version, with the standard 1P/co-op modes and such, while the 3DS version is more like a bonus version with new modes never really done before in the series. It would make sense since the Wii U version will likely sell more and will be the main hub for multiplayer.

It will be disappointing if it feels like one game split into two, but I have enough faith in Sakurai to not be too worried about that.

Do you think that the 3DS will have a multiplayer feature if the person you want to play with is a friend on your 3DS ? or just over the internet. via. Nintendo Wi-Fi . Because I know for sure that the wii U version will have two players able to play on it with 2 remotes.

Edited by Serah Farron

Do you think that the 3DS will have a multiplayer feature if the person you want to play with is a friend on your 3DS ? or just over the internet. via. Nintendo Wi-Fi . Because I know for sure that the wii U version will have two players able to play on it with 2 remotes.

I imagine both options will be available.