SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Watching the 3DS Livestream so far, Bowser is owning every match like holy cow he's dominating everyone.

Bowser so stronk, it's like he got buffed, his attacks are pretty fast and during finals, people spammed his forward and backwards aerials as well as his forward tilt smash, that thank goodness it got changed. Edited by Quintessence

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowser so stronk, it's like he got buffed, his attacks are pretty fast and during finals, people spammed his forward and backwards aerials as well as his forward tilt smash, that thank goodness it got changed.

In my opinion it was great to finally see Bowser being viable after the last two iterations. He too stronk he rekt everyone. I was laughing too hard when he destroyed that Toon Link with full stocks.

Holy shit yeah, Bowser against Toon Link was rekage in its maximum expression.

On regards, I actually had the chance to watch the last matches, the finals for the upper and lower brackets. Where there any other highlights? Any other characters that did well? I saw only Toon Link, Luigi and Bowsaurz.

Edited by Quintessence

This reminded me of that one Brawl taunts video on YouTube. Bowser says "why can't I ever be a top tier character?" Looks like he's getting his wish. :P

On another note though, looking at the colors on the 3DS menu made me think. That's another reason to like Ike too! He's actually pretty damn colorful for a badass manly swordsman. ^^ His hair and armor (or in the case of PoR, his tunic) are blue, his armor also has yellow, his cape is red, and his headband is green. And in RD, his tunic is brown. He gets a bit less colorful when he promotes, but that's no biggie lol. I actually still like Vanguard best out of all his outfits anyway. :3

Edited by Anacybele

Holy shit yeah, Bowser against Toon Link was rekage in its maximum expression.

On regards, I actually had the chance to watch the last matches, the finals for the upper and lower brackets. Where there any other highlights? Any other characters that did well? I saw only Toon Link, Luigi and Bowsaurz.

There was a funny glitch moment where all of sudden it made some shiny vortex that appeared and it stayed in the stage for the entire match. It was pretty hilarious cause some guy touched it out of curiosity and it sent him flying out of the stage and hitting the screen

Edited by kingddd

hahahhaha sure I saw that too, but as I went off and then came back they got like technical issues. All in all, imo the matches were more fun than the ones in the invitational (at least the few I watched).

Edited by Quintessence

bowser's probably not exceptionally good. larry's just really, really good. that's not to say he's bad, just to make the point that he's not amazing.

i'm sort of worried about donkey kong in this game. he looks like bowser except worse... then again, i trust sakurai and his team have done a decent job with balancing the cast.

In my opinion it was great to finally see Bowser being viable after the last two iterations. He too stronk he rekt everyone. I was laughing too hard when he destroyed that Toon Link with full stocks.

Seeing Bowser dominate makes me happy since I use him all the time in Melee and Brawl.

Yeah, Bowser's one of my all-time favorite video game characters. I remember his inclusion in Melee being my biggest source of hype for that game, but then I had to drop playing as him due to how bad he was (and, more importantly, how bad I was as him even after several years of practice). It would be great if he becomes an actual viable main for me.

I don't find Lucina to be that manly...

But somehow, I do find Marth's face to be more feminine than hers in this game. o_O

Only cuz he don't wear pants. XD

I'm with SoC here (at least about the laziness statements; I have no comment on the other topic). Some people need to be more careful when they're throwing around the allegations of laziness toward this game (whether implicit or explicit), because that just shows a huge amount of ignorance for the game development process as well as ungratefulness for the devs' hard work. Credit where credit is due, mother#$%^ers.

Yes.
Even though half of us are incapable of hacking. It is a brain teaser and it hurts your head. x.x

Uh, Banryu, is there REALLY a need to bash everyone about it?

I agree with this...
That was pretty rude.

Well, sorry! For fuck's sake, it didn't look to me like they tweaked male Robin's model any. I didn't mean that I don't appreciate Sakurai's hard work. He and his team remade Ike's model completely from scratch when they could have cut him from the game entirely. I freaking pulled a Frederick and cried tears of joy when my want for RD Ike in the game came true. I'm NOT dissing their hard work.

I don't get why you people are making such a big deal out of this.

Bold: ...Or that they could have just transferred his work from Brawl and tweaked it taking less time. :D
Indent: Nobody is except I think they're overworking on it.
Why bother with Lucina? x.x

It is easy to criticize.
VERY easy.

It is a different beast altogether to criticize it via from the perspective of a game developer... which most of us here, are not.

However, you can at least try to be close to that by respecting the work and looking at the things they show CAREFULLY.
Then state your opinion.

Saying "that was lazy" without even properly looking at it and "recalling" a very small detail vaguely is something that WILL get people a little miffed... like me.

Exactly what I mean in how rude that he is actually being. ...And we did happen to mess with a game at least at one point in our lives. Like me in POR till I broke the game using GCNcrypt and had to erase the file as the file couldn't work anymore. It does really hurt your head to mess with/hacking/translating/developing a game.

The Wii U version might not be quite complete yet since it won't be around until the holidays, but the 3DS version definitely is. It'll be in Japan in less than two months and then everywhere else a couple weeks later. And at this point, all they have to do is bug fixes and beta testing and all that stuff. So yeah, the game is pretty much complete now.

Which is hectic to do.
It gives you a bit of a scare whenever that you mess with a game piece by piece.

You're absolutely right, and I completely misspoke when I said it was 'too early' in development. I think I was halfway into fixing that, but then closed the window or something and forgot to go back.

Yes, what I mean is that the game is too late in development to change anything, but it's too soon to formulate a lot of legitimate complaints about balancing and gameplay and whatnot, and too soon to complain about some things that aren't in the game yet (except Chrom, and his fans can get over it). But yes, you're right. That is what I was quite ineptly trying to say x__X

It's games that have a huge amount of carefully-crafted content in general. Some games are criticized for being lazy, and in some cases, that's fair because they ARE lazy. Games by studios like Data Design Interactive-- which created 3 games that were 100% identical save for their visual assets (and plenty flat and terrible aside)-- are rightly called lazy. And there are of course less extreme examples, like games with cheap difficulty, which can also be called lazy. But 'lazy' is not a word that I would ever think to use-- not lightly, anyway-- about any game in the Smash Bros. series. Just about the only instance I'd accuse any of them of being lazy was with some of Brawl's physics (like how the modified sizes from items like the mushrooms or Lightning are super wonky, and items now grow and shrink WITH you rather than staying the same size like they did in Melee), and its higher difficulty curves, which basically just up the odds against you to unfair levels... but even then I'm reluctant to call the game lazy because of all the other shit that went into it.

Do you get what I mean now?

Since the height difference between their models isn't TOO extreme, maybe what they'll do is just have the hitbox be slightly in-between the two? Otherwise, I dunno. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Just be careful what you say. Don't just go saying stuff like that again without thinking first. ...Or else people are going to think wrongly of you.

I, too, use busty hime-cut Robin, though with light blue hair. But I'm not going to complain that my EXACT character preference hasn't made it into the game. I have done 3D modeling and it's a pain in the ass to make each model and then texture and rig it. I don't blame anyone for taking shortcuts when they can. Everyone does. That's how you meet deadlines. Especially for things like trophies, I don't really care that not every model is a unique, original piece specifically for Smash Bros because that would take hundreds, if not thousands of hours of extra work.

Listen to this person, people... The next time you complain about clone characters, think about how much work it takes to MAKE said clone character.

That's not even talking about animations.

...And to not feeling like finishing Chrom when he is the same way only like Ike. -.-

UqC2Dsi.png

roN9hyq.png

The 3DS main menu. I'm suspecting Smash Mode is essentially all the single and multiplayer modes like Classic or something...

Either way...
It's just your average Smash title screen like Brawl. :D

I'm guessing all traditional game modes are under Smash, which divides on "Solo" and "Group" after clicking on it. The "Games & More" section is likely stuff like Stage Builder, the equivalent of Coin Launcher, and other similar stuff.

"Smash Run" is its own section likely because it's the big 3DS-exclusive mode Sakurai wants to promote.

Trivia: The designer of the UI in this game, based on how it looks, is likely the same who designed the UI in Sakurai's games in the past, who happens to be Sakurai's Wife.

I'll be looking forward to seeing her name in the credits. That is if she is part of this game's development team. ...And what is a usual interface?

Reminds me of a certain song from Baten Kaitos Origins. Composed by Motoi Sakuraba, with lyrics written by his wife and sung by his little daughter. Pretty cute.

Who did the tracks in Star Ocean as well. :D

bowser's probably not exceptionally good. larry's just really, really good. that's not to say he's bad, just to make the point that he's not amazing.

i'm sort of worried about donkey kong in this game. he looks like bowser except worse... then again, i trust sakurai and his team have done a decent job with balancing the cast.

Praise them.
It's a miracle that they are even bothering with clones.

So then what's Bowser like as a Brawler ? I've never liked the guy so I wouldn't use him .

Edited by Serah Farron

Wasn't he mid tier in Brawl?

Now I've actually went and had a look at the tier lists. He was originally mid tier like I said but slowly dropped in ranks whenever a new one was made.

All I know is Zero Suit is #9 and Peach is #19. and zelda is the second worst.

Hopefully those jet boots will improve Zero Suit's spot in the SSB4 tier lists.

Edited by Carter

All I know is Zero Suit is #9 and Peach is #19. and zelda is the second worst.

Hopefully those jet boots will improve Zero Suit's spot in the SSB4 tier lists.

Ninth on the tier list and you hope that she'll be buffed? Let us both rather hope that Zelda gets a little better this time. xD

Though I'm rather hoping that the difference between the good and the bad characters won't be too big, rather than just my mains getting better.

Pff, my main guys Ike and Luigi need more help than ZSS ever did. Ike is very nearly low tier and Luigi got pushed below him after once being almost high tier. ZSS does NOT need any buffs and people already said she's really good in SSB Wii U/3DS as it is.

The people who were in low tier need the most help. And that would be characters like the Triforce trio, the Mario bros, Bowser (though it appears that he did get such help), etc. It's kind of weird how all of Nintendo's flagship characters suck... Well, except for Pikachu, I suppose.

Ah, yep, true that. :P

But hopefully Sakurai's team did a better job balancing this time. I mean, someone said awhile back that Brawl only had four people doing the balancing, but SSB Wii U/3DS has twelve people doing it? That's three times as many as before, so it HAS to be a better job.

Edited by Anacybele

Ninth on the tier list and you hope that she'll be buffed? Let us both rather hope that Zelda gets a little better this time. xD

umm, yeah. Zero Suit for NUMBER ONE!

Zelda totally needs buffing. She's strong, but many of her moves bring her down in the list.