SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Somebody who's fast probably would, yes! With a lot of power via Ike and speedy moves via someone like ZSS, they'd crush a lot of competition. ^^

I'd think ZSS for nothing else other than her stungun while Ike slowly swings his human-sized guillotine

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think ZSS for nothing else other than her stungun while Ike slowly swings his human-sized guillotine

That's one way of putting it, I guess. lol Carter's ZSS builds up damage with quick strikes and then I have Ike deliver one massive final blow for the KO! Booyah!

Ike's smashes feel nerfed to me considering the new blast zones and vectoring.

The only way you're getting a "Brawl level" knockout is if you forward smash them.

And that's less versatile than Captain Falcon's punch.

ZSS's stungun wears off slightly and knocks the opponent forward before Ike can swing his forward smash considering "realization" time.

I'd be down for both a singles and teams tourney. The only issue would be finding a partner for a team match...

Yeah, that's true. We'd need to have a number of participants (in the case of 1 vs 1) or teams (in the case of teams) divisible by 4. The reason is that any other even number would leave one or more teams/players either without opponents or gaining an automatic advantage by skipping round 2. Here's what I mean by the latter:

There are 8 participants in tourney X doing 1 vs 1. This means four matches for round 1. The end of round one leaves four players to do the semi-finals and then two to do the tourney championship match. There's no issue here because 8 is divisible by 4.

But say there are 10 participants. It's still an even number which can give each participant an opponent. But it would leave an odd number of matches and as a result, an odd number of winners. Four matches would be going down to determine who goes to the semi-finals, but the fifth doesn't have a match alongside it to determine the opponent of the winner of match five. Thus, five matches results in five winners, an odd number for round two and someone having to skip it because they don't have an opponent.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, that's true. We'd need to have a number of participants (in the case of 1 vs 1) or teams (in the case of teams) divisible by 4. The reason is that any other even number would leave one or more teams/players either without opponents or gaining an automatic advantage by skipping round 2. Here's what I mean by the latter:

There are 8 participants in tourney X doing 1 vs 1. This means four matches for round 1. The end of round one leaves four players to do the semi-finals and then two to do the tourney championship match. There's no issue here because 8 is divisible by 4.

But say there are 10 participants. It's still an even number which can give each participant an opponent. But it would leave an odd number of matches and as a result, an odd number of winners. Four matches would be going down to determine who goes to the semi-finals, but the fifth doesn't have a match alongside it to determine the opponent of the winner of match five. Thus, five matches results in five winners, an odd number for round two and someone having to skip it because they don't have an opponent.

We'd also have to account for the losers' bracket should we decide we want one.

That's not a problem so much as just the way things will work out. One team gets a little advantage. The same kind of thing can happen in singles.

We'd also have to account for the losers' bracket should we decide we want one.

Yeah, that too.

Also, I just realized. Not even every number divisible by 4 would work. 12 participants, for example, wouldn't work because while that leaves six winners, we're now left with three matches as well, an odd number. Every remaining number of participants in each round must be divisible by 4.

Yeah, this is indeed tricky.

That's not a problem so much as just the way things will work out. One team gets a little advantage. The same kind of thing can happen in singles.

Yeah, an unfair advantage.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, that too.

Also, I just realized. Not even every number divisible by 4 would work. 12 participants, for example, wouldn't work because while that leaves six winners, we're now left with three matches as well, an odd number. Every remaining number of participants in each round must be divisible by 4.

it's still not that important. if one team lower in the bracket that is amazing eventually fights the team with the advantage, the team with the advantage will lose. if the amazing team also had the advantage, they most likely would have won anyway.

Yeah, that too.

12 is easy. You do two groups of six participants, and the best two of each group move to the finals. Same with 10, you do two groups of five.

Things get tricky when you have a prime number of participants.

Well I have an HDMI/Component Capture Card, so I could record matches of the Wii U Tournament when that rolls around. Oh yeah, and my 3DS FC is 2062 - 9153 - 3863, so add me if you feel like it.

Yeah a team getting a bye does seem like an advantage, but since these are free it would be better to just have more people play. I could probably set up the bracket since I am in smash tourneys every week and I know how to set them up. Also remember that it is double elimination, so you are only out after you lose 2 matches. The player/teams who lose in the 'winners bracket' move down to losers and fight through another bracket.

Should we ban certain people from teaming up? Like from recking everyone's shit?

I'd argue against that, for now. If it gets to a point where they make people not want to enter, then it should be considered. (I'm generally against bans, but this isn't Smash Boards, which is specifically a Smash Bros site. If it were I'd just say a flat no.)

Edited by Shulk

...How the hell did they do that just by playing Smash? Did they lose a match and then have a rage fit? That is just a ridiculous level of immaturity. I remember being pretty sore that I could never get past one round in Brawl tournaments, but I didn't break my Wii or my Brawl disc over it. :/ Or my controller, for that matter.

12 is easy. You do two groups of six participants, and the best two of each group move to the finals. Same with 10, you do two groups of five.

Things get tricky when you have a prime number of participants.

Yeah a team getting a bye does seem like an advantage, but since these are free it would be better to just have more people play. I could probably set up the bracket since I am in smash tourneys every week and I know how to set them up. Also remember that it is double elimination, so you are only out after you lose 2 matches. The player/teams who lose in the 'winners bracket' move down to losers and fight through another bracket.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. It might not be THAT bad for a participant or team to get a bye. Like you say, metalsnowman, it'd just be best if lots of people join up.

So, I'll go make an FC thread since it was my idea? This way people can add a bunch of people easily. That's why a thread was made in the Pokemon section.

Edited by Anacybele

As has been mentioned, it's such a small issue it's barely even worth pointing out. These things happen all the time.

As far as how teams are decided, I wouldn't be opposed to random selections to start with. It could be good to give people chances to play with multiple people to see who we all work well with.

...How the hell did they do that just by playing Smash? Did they lose a match and then have a rage fit? That is just a ridiculous level of immaturity.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. It might not be THAT bad for a participant or team to get a bye. Like you say, metalsnowman, it'd just be best if lots of people join up.

So, I'll go make an FC thread since it was my idea? This way people can add a bunch of people easily. That's why a thread was made in the Pokemon section.

Yeah, I think that would be a good idea. Stop this place getting cluttered with messages a bit.