SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I still don't understand people who turn off items. 8U Why the fuck are you playing this game if all you're gonna do is make it as boring and dull as possible?

My friends and I turn off certain items, there are a few that just piss us off. Since everyone usually ends up playing on my Wii, I don't bother adjusting item settings when they leave, and honestly I don't miss items when they're not there, nor do I care too much when they are there.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand people who turn off items. 8U Why the fuck are you playing this game if all you're gonna do is make it as boring and dull as possible?

People like to play competitively, and items take away most, if not all skill involved in playing. It's pretty easy to understand.

Edited by Shulk

I would highly disagree with the opinion that items take away any skill in playing...

The entire competitive community would strongly disagree with you on this. The items are completely random, and they disrupt the flow of battle. In some cases you can end up with really crazy stuff (like 3 pokeballs) and it all counts on luck. Items are there for people who want them, but keep them away from competitive play. They have no place there.

Items definitely disrupt the flow of the game and can make the gap between skilled and unskilled players way less. Plus on the 3DS version, I find I lose track of the action if items are on so I've been preferring the omega version of stages even in (or especially in) a 4P free-for-all. Without items a 2 minute match usually has a score range of +/-2. When items are on, it gets as much at +/-5. I do like items, but it's a distraction too. When I see a competitive game, I like it better when items are off. The difference between the final match of the E3 Invitational and every other round was like night and day. Even with ZeRo's lame stalling for time, it was a way more intense fight.

I like items SOMETIMES, but there are a few items that are extremely annoying.

The gust bellow thing, the cannon thing that stays in one place (I think it's from uprising), galactica spaceship thingy that picks up to kill you.

Umm... why not? It's not required to play with items. If you like, it doesnt mean I have to. Whenever I'm trying to have a "serious" competitive fight with my brother, it's kinda stupid to have a bomb-omb come out of nowhere and explode.

In a 4 player free or all, I mean, sure have items.

I'm sure you don't mean harm, but the way you worded your question seriously pisses me off. You're making it sound like people shouldn't be allowed to play just because they don't use items.

it's like saying you shouldn't be living, just because nobody likes you. Bit that's not the case. There's absolutely no correlation. And it doesn't make sense xD

Edited by Carter

I don't mind items in general, but there are specific items that kind of piss me off and I'd rather not use them. Can't remember at the moment which ones those are, but I do know that my friends and I only use select items in Brawl. I assume it'd be the same for this new game. When I get my copy of SSB4, there are some items that I'm just going to end up turning off.

I read a review of the game on some reputable tech site, and it ended with like

"tl;dr fuck the scarab if you come to my house and ask that it be turned on, I'll ask you to leave"

Which is a sentiment I agree with entirely

BEST STAGE CONFIRMED GUYS, WE HAVE TO HIDE FROM OUR MOM

Actually, I've heard it's 9-Volt's Mom(?) From WarioWare, it's still the most unique stage I've ever seen

I'll have to see on how to unlock it!
Oh, Wii-U only. 9-Volt might be one of our Wii-U exclusives like the IC.

I freaking swear all my retailers here never break street dates.

Stupid Canada. Didn't they do this same thing with FE: Awakening or Pokemon X/Y or something and then get busted for it?

General Horace has the right idea, sort of. You all are taking my comment too literally. It's not really jealousy, it's more that Canada keeps breaking release dates and that isn't fair to the rest of us North Americans that still have to wait. They need to wait a bit longer like all of us do.

With Pokemon X/Y which I viewed a video of it from the beginning which was nice, but the video got taken down moments later by NOA for good laughs. XD

About Canada, it is the same for at least some retailers in the US that don't stop them from doing the same hoping that these retailers don't get busted by their boss/Nintendo.

Some retailers are known to break release dates especially to inevitable games like Pokemon and Smash.

I thought this was a bit funny, how teens weren't really familiar with "back then" consoles.

I mean, I was, but that might be just me. So, they've ALL heard of Mario, but some didn't know Legend of Zelda (and one thought Sonic was Zelda xD), and some never heard Metroid.

This isn't exactly Smash Bros. related, but it's not worth of a new topic. And it IS related to Nintendo and all of its series.

"i don't larp" xD

Blowing on the cart was an old classic I liked like picking a door lock with a credit card. Ahh...those were the days that half of us as well as me have had. XD

Eh. I'm fine with waiting, although I'm getting this the same time as Metroid Prime Trilogy, so let's see which I play more...

No regrets for the Prime Trilogy.
I still have them and they are some of the greatest Metroid games to ever exist especially the 2nd installment.

My friends and I turn off certain items, there are a few that just piss us off. Since everyone usually ends up playing on my Wii, I don't bother adjusting item settings when they leave, and honestly I don't miss items when they're not there, nor do I care too much when they are there.

We never had any need for them.

What should be allowed...

-Final Smash Ball(Mainly this)

-Pokeball(Sends in fair Pokemon to deal with)

-Sandbag

-Food

-Maximum Tomato

-Heart Container

-Fairy Bottle

-Bunny Hood

-Beam Sword

-Lip's Stick

-Star Rod

-Fire Bar

-Wind Stick(The grey stick that shoots wind)

-Super Scope

-Laser Gun

-Fire Flower

-Morphing Ball

-Bomb-Chu

-Cross Exploder

-Deku Nut

-Freezie

--Smoke Ball

-Fire Ball

-Mr.Saturn

-Green Shell

-Banana Peel

-Spring

-Soccer/Basket Ball

-Varia Suit

-Pow Block

-Blue Boomerang

-Hornet's Nest

-Hylian Shield

-Screw Attack

-Racoon Leaf

-Jetpack

-S Sign

What should be disallowed/banned...

-Assist Trophies(They interfere with the competing environment too much and make the matches too unpleasant.)

-Masterball(OP Pokemon really ruins the competing experience)

-Cross Hairs((The one you have to collect three items to activate it. It should be banned because it instantly kills anything that it touches.)

-Blaster Gun(It ranges most of the screen and it instantly kills anything that it touches.)

-Regular Boxes(They often carry too much items for help.)

-Exploding Boxes(They kill anything to whoever sets it off.)

-Super Mushroom(It gives your opponents a disadvantage and makes the user harder to kill.)

-Poison Mushroom(It gives your opponents an advantage over the user)

-Warp Star(It likely kills anything instantly that it hits and is hard to predict on how to dodge it.)

-Starman(OP. Makes you completely invincible for a limited time.)

-Metal Box(OP. Makes you harder to knockout against your opponents.)

-Flammable Food(Makes it hard to counter easily breaking shields and it never stops flaming until the item is done.)

-Slow Watch(Slows down the battle for your opponents giving the user normal speed.)

-Thunderbolt(Shrinks all opponents weakening them except the user a big advantage.)

-Bullet Bill(Instantly kills anything that it touches.)

-Hammer(Too OP and hard to stop.)

-Fast Hammer(Too OP and hard to stop.)

-Baseball Bat(Instantly kills anything that it hits.)

-Air Gun(Using this can brush opponents offstage and once used in the corner, the opponent cannot recover and he/she will die.)

-Drill(It instantly brushes whoever it hits offstage.)

-Bomb-Omb(Instantly kills anything that it hits above 30% and can be used as a throwing weapon to make it worse.)

-Explosive Device(Too OP and the radious is too wide to make it justifiable to use.)

-Pit hole(It traps whoever it hits leaving him/her helpless for ten seconds to buy your opponent time to using a finishing move on you.)

-Blue Spike(It instantly kills anything that it hits with opponents wasted above 60%)

-Blue Shell(It targets one of your opponents making it near impossible to dodge and can kill instantly.)

-Cucco(They run a muk across the stage everywhere instantly annihilating all opponents whoever gets hit by them.)

-Space Invader(It carries opponents to their dooms if they get hit by it's beam rays.)

-Franklin Badge(It reflects all projectiles off of you while that the item is in effect.)

These shouldn't be in, because it doesn't make you a champion/good player by winning with any of these items.

These ones in the disallowed section imply that destroys the competing enviroment.
Edited by PuffPuff

We never had any need for them.

What should be allowed...

-Final Smash Ball(Mainly this)

-Pokeball(Sends in fair Pokemon to deal with)

-Sandbag

-Food

-Maximum Tomato

-Heart Container

-Fairy Bottle

-Bunny Hood

-Beam Sword

-Lip's Stick

-Star Rod

-Fire Bar

-Wind Stick(The grey stick that shoots wind)

-Super Scope

-Laser Gun

-Fire Flower

-Morphing Ball

-Bomb-Chu

-Cross Exploder

-Deku Nut

-Freezie

--Smoke Ball

-Fire Ball

-Mr.Saturn

-Green Shell

-Banana Peel

-Spring

-Soccer/Basket Ball

-Varia Suit

-Pow Block

-Blue Boomerang

-Hornet's Nest

-Hylian Shield

-Screw Attack

-Racoon Leaf

-Jetpack

-S Sign

What should be disallowed/banned...

-Assist Trophies(They interfere with the competing environment too much and make the matches too unpleasant.)

-Masterball(OP Pokemon really ruins the competing experience)

-Cross Hairs((The one you have to collect three items to activate it. It should be banned because it instantly kills anything that it touches.)

-Blaster Gun(It ranges most of the screen and it instantly kills anything that it touches.)

-Regular Boxes(They often carry too much items for help.)

-Exploding Boxes(They kill anything to whoever sets it off.)

-Super Mushroom(It gives your opponents a disadvantage and makes the user harder to kill.)

-Poison Mushroom(It gives your opponents an advantage over the user)

-Warp Star(It likely kills anything instantly that it hits and is hard to predict on how to dodge it.)

-Starman(OP. Makes you completely invincible for a limited time.)

-Metal Box(OP. Makes you harder to knockout against your opponents.)

-Flammable Food(Makes it hard to counter easily breaking shields and it never stops flaming until the item is done.)

-Slow Watch(Slows down the battle for your opponents giving the user normal speed.)

-Thunderbolt(Shrinks all opponents weakening them except the user a big advantage.)

-Bullet Bill(Instantly kills anything that it touches.)

-Hammer(Too OP and hard to stop.)

-Fast Hammer(Too OP and hard to stop.)

-Baseball Bat(Instantly kills anything that it hits.)

-Air Gun(Using this can brush opponents offstage and once used in the corner, the opponent cannot recover and he/she will die.)

-Drill(It instantly brushes whoever it hits offstage.)

-Bomb-Omb(Instantly kills anything that it hits above 30% and can be used as a throwing weapon to make it worse.)

-Explosive Device(Too OP and the radious is too wide to make it justifiable to use.)

-Pit hole(It traps whoever it hits leaving him/her helpless for ten seconds to buy your opponent time to using a finishing move on you.)

-Blue Spike(It instantly kills anything that it hits with opponents wasted above 60%)

-Blue Shell(It targets one of your opponents making it near impossible to dodge and can kill instantly.)

-Cucco(They run a muk across the stage everywhere instantly annihilating all opponents whoever gets hit by them.)

-Space Invader(It carries opponents to their dooms if they get hit by it's beam rays.)

-Franklin Badge(It reflects all projectiles off of you while that the item is in effect.)

These shouldn't be in, because it doesn't make you a champion/good player by winning with any of these items.

These ones in the disallowed section imply that destroys the competing enviroment.

oh thanks for reminding me

would still like an answer to

many of us, like me, have no need for smash balls either

We have no need for them using these final smashes are for wimps/newbs.

j/s

really though is there a reason you feel a need to post your personal list of items that you like everywhere you go, like a door-to-door evangelist going thread to thread to preach the word of God to everyone?

instead of, y'know, going with the whole "tournament host makes the rules, if you don't like any of them, make your own" thing

like I'm not sure what you think you're going to accomplish by posting a list of items you personally think are ~okay~ and then some passive-aggressive insults towards people who do use them

this sort of "host makes the rules" isn't exactly something Doofina invented, either

reading is tech Edited by Euklyd

I know, it's so shocking that some people actually enjoy playing the game in different ways, isn't it?

And @ skill with items: there is definitely skill in using items, but there's also luck involved. Even with all items on, you're typically going to see more skilled players getting more KOs.

If you play with all items on against me, I guarantee you getting stupidly KO'd. Like a well-placed Bumper or something.

challenge accepted

except that all items on, online, doesn't actually sound enjoyable for a "challenge accepted" sort of ~serious match~

I would like to thank everyone in this thread who supported my mother's appearance in Smash. Now I can share with you her tyrannical rule as you attempt to play a video game, have fun!

Pic of the day

n8DOtC.jpg

Daisy mask.

Players who make Mii's of Daisy like I have can unlock this mask in the all-star mode and can give your Daisy Mii the real deal. :D

THANK YOU, SAKURAI!

Edited by PuffPuff

One item I absolutely hate is the fan. At least in Brawl, you could cheaply rack up 100% damage with that shit.

THIS. Oh my gods, that fan was the one thing that pissed me off in Brawl.

Is anyone else going to point out that the girl on the left is Arya Stark? Because she totally is.

As for a more relevant-to-Smash topic, playing this demo reminded me why I don't like playing with items. Whenever a good item shows up, it ALWAYS seems to appear closer to my CPU opponent and they get a cheap advantage. And in the rare case that a Pokeball or Assist Trophy appears close to me? Well, it will always be something pretty useless. If it's an AT it will always be the Nintendog (which doesn't affect the CPU at all), and a Smash Ball will always appear about a second after the dog does and the CPU will get their final smash while I can't see anything.

Yeah, items are a major reason I got bored with the demo.

Who is ayra stark?

Also yea I am so tired of every third instance of AT being the darn Nintendog.

I also hate pikachu getting the smash ball

And is anyone else having a hard time handling dodgerolls? I did it a lot easier in the console versions and just Shield like 4/5 of the time.

Is anyone else going to point out that the girl on the left is Arya Stark? Because she totally is.

As for a more relevant-to-Smash topic, playing this demo reminded me why I don't like playing with items. Whenever a good item shows up, it ALWAYS seems to appear closer to my CPU opponent and they get a cheap advantage. And in the rare case that a Pokeball or Assist Trophy appears close to me? Well, it will always be something pretty useless. If it's an AT it will always be the Nintendog (which doesn't affect the CPU at all), and a Smash Ball will always appear about a second after the dog does and the CPU will get their final smash while I can't see anything.

Yeah, items are a major reason I got bored with the demo.

Yeah it's Maise Williams. It even says Guest Star.

http://www.giantbomb.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x/3030-41347/

Tee hee...

I've just figured out who might be one of our newcomers in Smash 5. The protagonist of Xenoblade X.

Edited by PuffPuff