SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

We're never gonna agree on this, let's just agree to disagree.

Ok. One last thing before I'm done though. Back in the very early days of competitive Melee, items were used in tournaments. There's a reason why items are banned now.

Edited by Shulk

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone knows what Shulk's custom moves are?

According to the smash wiki, his are:

Neutral: One makes it so a Monado Art lasts longer, but you're stuck with it until it wears out. (Decisive Monado Arts)

The other makes the benefits and drawbacks of the Art even stronger, but the time is shorter. I assume you can still switch them freely. (Extreme Monado Arts)

Forward: One makes him jump higher when performing Back Slash. (Jumping Back Slash)

The other jumps lower and longer and gains Super Armor while in the air, but Back Slash is weaker. (Enduring Back Slash)

Up: One makes it so he goes up with the first slash, and forward with the second, instead of the second staying in place. (Forward Air Slash)

The other makes Shulk hit the enemy harder with the slash(es?), but the range is short and apparently is harder to control while falling. (Strong Air Slash)

Down: One makes Shulk take a step forward and extends the range of the counter, making it faster but less powerful. (Dash Vision)

The other increases the power and makes the counter timer last longer, but repeated uses make it weaker and weaker. I assume a much stronger version of the Repetition Effect, though it might last the entire match. (Powerful Vision)

I would also disagree that items have no place in competitive play. There is luck involved, that's undeniable, but it takes just as much skill to use and/or avoid an item...I'd say it would show off some skill if you avoided a Pokeball or Assist Trophy. I don't think it would disrupt the flow at all, I'd say it adds flow...

That's why I suggested...

What should be allowed...

-Final Smash Ball

-Pokeball(Sends in fair Pokemon to deal with)

-Sandbag

-Food

-Maximum Tomato

-Heart Container

-Fairy Bottle

-Bunny Hood

-Beam Sword

-Lip's Stick

-Star Rod

-Fire Bar

-Wind Stick(The grey stick that shoots wind)

-Super Scope

-Laser Gun

-Fire Flower

-Morphing Ball

-Bomb-Chu

-Cross Exploder

-Deku Nut

-Freezie

--Smoke Ball

-Fire Ball

-Mr.Saturn

-Green Shell

-Banana Peel

-Spring

-Soccer/Basket Ball

-Varia Suit

-Pow Block

-Blue Boomerang

-Hornet's Nest

-Hylian Shield

-Screw Attack

-Racoon Leaf

-Jetpack

-S Sign

..these items as they actually takes skill to use...even though others however do not.

I definitely disagree. There's a lot of skill both in breaking the smash ball and using a final smash. I can't tell you how many times I've watched my brother smack a smash ball around a bunch only to have me snipe it and nail him. Breaking it open with luck makes no sense, there's a pretty consistent amount of damage a smash ball takes before breaking.

The biggest problem with final smashes is the imbalance of them in general. Some are really great and/or unavoidable (Olimar), some are really awful (Donkey Kong, especially on big stages), and in Brawl, one is downright detrimental (Zero Suit Samus).

Let's not forget that you can also knock it out of the players hands. So it is judgemental
to use in competitive play. But...Olimar should be banned from using the Smash Ball since his FS is impossible to avoid.
-----
I've played this as a kid. Love it to pieces. Still have the game even to this day and have existed at the time when this game along with Super Mario Bros just came out! At least now we get to kick the Duck Hunt Dog's ass for all of the times that he laughed at me as shooting him in the Duck Hunt game was impossible. x.x
Was a little mewling only 3 years old when I've played this as this game Super Mario Bros+Duck Hunt got released in 1985. :D
The ducks move like mirages that you can possibly overlap the game if you make it this far in it. The farther you make it through, the faster the ducks go. :D
*Goes to play Duck Hunt*
Edited by PuffPuff

That's why I suggested...

What should be allowed...

No offense, but the more you bring this up, the more people will likely complain about it. Not many people liked items in tournament play to begin with, and I honestly don't think many people here will consider entering a tournament with items on (I would still enter either way).

And you also got some of the item names wrong too, though I'm assuming you intentionally put those different names there to begin with.

Edited by Kiseki

No offense, but the more you bring this up, the more people will likely complain about it. Not many people liked items in tournament play to begin with, and I honestly don't think many people here will consider entering a tournament with items on.

And you also got some of the item names wrong too, though I'm assuming you intentionally put those different names there to begin with.

We have no need for them.

This is just what I've suggested to those that DO want them in.

-----

Awesome play! (One Duck Run)

I could never do past round 30 with two ducks run in one go before I've got a Game Over and the Duck Hunt Dog went close to the screen and laughed at me like a hyena. -.-

Edited by PuffPuff

No offense, but the more you bring this up, the more people will likely complain about it. Not many people liked items in tournament play to begin with, and I honestly don't think many people here will consider entering a tournament with items on (I would still enter either way).

honestly at this point I'd be fine with entering a tournament with items on (as long as there were other non-item tournaments at other times), but I'd be damned if I enter a tournament with the list that Ayanami has been trying to shove down everyone's throats

yes I am petty

although I do have other problems with that list as well

Let's not forget that you can also knock it out of the players hands. So it is judgemental

to use in competitive play. But...Olimar should be banned from using the Smash Ball since his FS is impossible to avoid.

and this is ridiculous

"we should have all final smashes on except one; Olimar could sure use more nerfs"

Final Smashes are by nature unbalanced; if you want to pick and choose which ones are ~okay~ then you shouldn't let anyone use them

besides the way that you avoid Olimar's Final Smash is to not let him get the Smash Ball :newyears:

and this is ridiculous

"we should have all final smashes on except one; Olimar could sure use more nerfs"

Final Smashes are by nature unbalanced; if you want to pick and choose which ones are ~okay~ then you shouldn't let anyone use them

besides the way that you avoid Olimar's Final Smash is to not let him get the Smash Ball :newyears:

If he gets it, give him this...

nRU2EE.jpg
iUqxGo.jpg
IoEC5U.jpg

:D

Edited by PuffPuff

Feast your eyes on this!

Amazon has revealed a Wii U bundle for Smash 4! Comes with a gamecube controller + adapter too. How thoughtful!

WiiUBundle.jpg

Looks good. Too bad I won't be getting it. Only the game will be necessary.

Feast your eyes on this!

Amazon has revealed a Wii U bundle for Smash 4! Comes with a gamecube controller + adapter too. How thoughtful!

Looks good. Too bad I won't be getting it. Only the game will be necessary.

still annoyed it's US only and not for the rest of the world.

Apparently, someone asked a group of about fifty random people if they could recognize the members of the SSB4 roster based on their pictures. These were the results:

[spoiler=Original Data]

http://i.imgur.com/zUOUggG.png

[spoiler=On a Graph Showing Most To Least Recognized]

http://imgur.com/FFsCuuM

Very interesting. I mean, fifty is way too small of a sample size to really judge anything from, and I'm pretty sure the sample skews towards people under the age of eighteen (Many characters whose games were huge in the eighties and nineties got low recognition, and the disparity between Gen I Pokemon and the other Pokemon was virtually non-existent), but it's still interesting.

I don't know if this was posted, but it looks like Smash 4 is getting DLC.

You do know that you can play without items, even in the demo?

Only if you play on the boring FD version of Battlefield. Which is lame. Some of us like having platforms on our stages when we Smash, y'know?

Wow. Pikachu is more recognizable than Mario huh. I know Pokemon is mega huge but I still find that somewhat surprising.

The difference between the numbers the two got is so small that I don't think you can draw any conclusions from that. They may as well be tied for first place IMO.

Edit: More hits towards DLC:

Other notes/updates from today:

Proof that the game has code to load character and stage DLC:

ui/replace/customize/spi_10
ui/script/lib
ui/replace/field
ui/replace
ui/replace/image
ui/replace/stage
ui/replace/profile
ui/replace/figure
ui/replace/customize
test/lumen/resource_font/FOLKH_Light/FOLKH_Light.brf
ui/replace/image/com_bg_d_img
effect/ui
ui/replace/mark
ui/script/util
ui/replace/item
ui/font/lumen
ui/script/app
ui/replace/popup
ui/replace/clear
ui/replace/chr
test
ui/replace/category

List of names in dump 2 meaning:

1st Set of Names: (Includes Random, written in Japanese characters/ It might be for Sound Test as it includes Narration, Wii Fit Trainer Male/Female)

2nd Set of Names: Names for Single Player? (Written in capital romanji, has Mii Fighter team)

3rd Set of Names: Names for Bottom Screen (Written in capital romanji)

4th Set of names For high score names (Written in Japanese characters)

After that is stages (includes random)

Trophy Category in English and Japanese

大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ
ドンキーコング
スターフォックス
星のカービィ
F-ZERO
メトロイド
MOTHER
ポケットモンスター
ゼルダの伝説
スーパーマリオブラザーズ
ヨッシーアイランド
ファイアーエムブレム
ゲーム&ウオッチ
アイスクライマー
ピクミン
メイド イン ワリオ
光神話パルテナの鏡
ファミリーコンピュータロボット
ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ
タッチジェネレーション
どうぶつの森
Wii Fit
ゼノブレイド
パンチアウト!!
ダックハント
ロックマン
ニンテンドッグス
Miiplaza(仮)
パックマン
トモダチコレクション
レッキングクルー
Wii Sports Resort
ミーバース
パイロットウイングス
その他

Super Smash Bros.
Donkey Kong
Star Fox
Kirby
F-Zero
Metroid
EarthBound (Mother)
Pokémon
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros.
Yoshi's Island
Fire Emblem
Game & Watch
Ice Climber
Pikmin
WarioWare
Kid Icarus
R.O.B.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Touch! Generations
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Xenoblade Chronicles
Punch-Out!!
Duck Hunt
Mega Man
Nintendogs
StreetPass Mii Plaza
PAC-MAN
Tomodachi Life
Wrecking Crew
Wii Sports Resort
Miiverse
Pilotwings
Other

Fighter
Fighter Related
Final Smash
Item
Assist Trophy
Poké Ball
Smash Run
Enemy
Stage
Series Related
Other

ファイター
ファイター関連
最後の切りふだ
アイテム
アシストフィギュア
モンスターボール
フィールドスマッシュ

ステージ
シリーズ関連
その他

MiiPlaza has the Japanese character for temporary next to it.

I'll link the relevant thread from Smashboards where this was posted, but unfortunately the user who posted this info chose to do so in the "Leaks Group," which is a private social group. so you need both a Smashboards account and to be a member of that group(you can be invited by PM'ing the group's creator). The thread is here for those still interested.

Edited by shinpichu

So people hacked this game ALREADY? I find this hard to believe.

On another topic, though, I've started feeling really unsure about entering that GameStop tournament. I don't know why, but the idea has started making me pretty nervous. >_<

Apparently, someone asked a group of about fifty random people if they could recognize the members of the SSB4 roster based on their pictures. These were the results:

[spoiler=Original Data]

Very interesting. I mean, fifty is way too small of a sample size to really judge anything from, and I'm pretty sure the sample skews towards people under the age of eighteen (Many characters whose games were huge in the eighties and nineties got low recognition, and the disparity between Gen I Pokemon and the other Pokemon was virtually non-existent), but it's still interesting.

Wow!

I never thought Zelda was more recognizable than Peach. With all those varying appearances, I thought less people would know Zelda.

On another topic, though, I've started feeling really unsure about entering that GameStop tournament. I don't know why, but the idea has started making me pretty nervous. >_<

Hmm...?

But wasn't this kind of news posted a WHILE ago? I don't remember the exact page numbers, but iirc, I do remember this sort of thing being brought back up before.

I'm personally okay with DLC, but only stages. With DLC characters, it would just seem so awkward to me. If DLC does eventually happen, I'll cross my fingers and hope for just stages. And maybe music and a few other things that don't affect the actual gameplay that much.

So it seems, for some reason, none of the GameStops in my area are having midnight events for Smash 3DS. Does anyone know of any other chains doing them? Target or Best Buy or something?

[spoiler=Original Data]

Apparently Wii Fit Trainer isn't as obscure as we all thought, eh?

The one that really surprises me is Greninja. Yeah, Pokemon, but Greninja is really recent and non-gen 1 Pokemon are typically much less recognizable by the general public.

Hard to believe how? Pokemon X/Y were hacked a week after release. Internal Smash 3DS stuff has been getting dumped since a day or two after it came out.

Well, Pokemon X and Y were hacked about this quickly, and that was before anyone had ever hacked a 3DS before. I'm sure it was much easier to hack this game now that they know how to hack the system it's on.

Uh, that poll only asked 50 people. It means pretty much nothing.

I hadn't known that the 3DS had been hacked that fast though. I had heard that people were having trouble doing so.

I hadn't known that the 3DS had been hacked that fast though. I had heard that people were having trouble doing so.

I'd say 50 people is a pretty good number, though I guess it depends a lot on where the people were from. If it's random people off the street I'm surprised any of them would have known characters like Shulk, Ness or Robin, unless maybe they've seen the SSB4 trailers.

50 people out of millions of fans? Yeah no. xP

it's obviously not optimal to only ask 50 people, but it gives a general idea on trends

It's been two weeks and the 3DS itself is already hackable. Pokemon X/Y was hacked in a similar time frame, and that's how we found out about the Mega Latis and the event legends.

There's 50 people in this chatroom that could suffice for 50 people.

50 people at a Gamestop are far different than 50 people on the beaches of Florida.

I'd hardly cite it as real evidence of anything, but depending on who was asked, it's not exactly meaningless. Given the low amount, though, it would be much better to know exactly who was polled before trying to draw any conclusions.

Prior to the game getting announced*, I think the only ones I wouldn't recognize at all are Shulk, Villager, and Duck Hunt (and the latter only because of the much-upgraded design). Wii Fit Trainer I would probably see and recognize as being from Wii Fit, but that's all.

*Excepting Greninja, whom no one knew about before Smash 3DS was announced, but I knew about him by his reveal for this game.