SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except I'm talking strictly about game stuff. And things like special versions/editions of games and merchandise that never come out here even though the game itself does get released. Like that Hyrule Warriors collector's edition that came with the scarf and stuff. I wanted it so bad, but it never came here. The scarf did, but only in fucking Nintendo World.

Do you seriously think Japan gets everything?

They never got the 2DS, for example.

On topic, I stand by my prediction that Rayman is the next 3rd Party character (assuming there is one).

Edited by Jave

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, November 18, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, November 18, 2015 - No reason given

Sorry for the double post. Making a post in SF these days is annoying for some reason. Takes forever and I don't even see it unless I refresh, so I sometimes think it isn't there.

Edited by Anacybele

They didn't? I didn't know, but they still get a hell of a lot more than we do.

OH REALLY.

What if I told you that the rules for game publishing in Japan are so strict to the point most small companies can't afford them and therefore lots of games (specially indies) never see the light of day in Japan?

For comparison, the North American Wii U eShop has a total of 256 original downloadable software (non-retail, non-VC), while the European one has 164, and the Japanese one has 74.

Woop dee doo. I doubt a whole lot of people even care about those. But a fuck ton of Pokemon, Zelda, and even Mario stuff never once see store shelves outside of Japan. That is stuff that a lot of people DO care about.

Woop dee doo. I doubt a whole lot of people even care about those. But a fuck ton of Pokemon, Zelda, and even Mario stuff never once see store shelves outside of Japan. That is stuff that a lot of people DO care about.

Ana I know games you like don't get released in the west. Games I like don't too and it is annoying. But the Japanese aren't doing it out of maliciousness and we have no right to complain about any of it. They aren't being released because those kind of products don't sell particularly amazingly over here. Games that sell well over here are games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed and Diablo. The stuff you care about aren't necessarily the stuff everyone, or even a recognizable portion of the western gamer audience cares about. Likewise there's probably plenty, (but still not a significant amount) of Japanese gamers who do care about the stuff that isn't released over there. Be thankful we at least get the major and important Nintendo stuff. Criticizing a company achieves nothing. All you can do is buy the products that are released here and encourage others to do so too so that a large enough market can be recognised.

Edited by Jotari

So you don't have sympathy because YOU can't get a lot of the cool merchandise that Japan gets.

I'd like a Hyrule Warriors scarf, yeah, but I'm not gonna lose my head over it.

I wanted Dragon Quest Monsters 1 and 2's 3DS remakes, but I'm not going to lose my head over it, no matter how upset I might be that only Japan got it and no one else, let alone me, did.

How about we sympathize with the fact that a lot of people can't get cool stuff, games OR merchandise, either because laws or business estimations, mm?

People can get cool stuff easier than other people and so does the reverse of this statement. That's just how life does work.

If you keep yourself focused on what you don't have, you will have a sad life. So live on and be happy with what you can have, else you'll never advance.

People can get cool stuff easier than other people and so does the reverse of this statement. That's just how life does work.

If you keep yourself focused on what you don't have, you will have a sad life. So live on and be happy with what you can have, else you'll never advance.

Pretty much.

I could make a huge list of things the West gets that Japan does not, but in the end it's kinda pointless to try changing the mind of a person who lives by the "The grass is always greener..." philosophy.

I choose to simply enjoy life for what it is.

Guys, it isn't so much the games, you're still missing my point.

It's stuff related to games that DO get released out here. Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda stuff, like I said. If their games are going to get released here, why can't we get all the merchandise for them too? It makes no sense to me. And the Pokemon Company International is named such for a reason.

And I don't see what laws or anything are stopping that merchandise from getting here. If there are some though, well, I guess we'll just have to deal with that...

Before this gets out of hand though, can we change the topic here?

...Someone please restrain me from going off on an entitlement rant, because I'm this close to losing my shit.

If you're talking about merchandise, guess what? That shit doesn't sell here. Are you talking about the OSTs? Because I can assure you those definitely don't sell here. Need I remind you that, on the whole, video gaming isn't viewed nearly the same way in the west as it is in Japan? Shit's improved since the early days, but on the whole, gaming is viewed in a completely different way here. How about the fact that Nintendo took a risk not dummying out Marth and Roy in Melee? Which would have meant you never playing any Fire Emblem.

You have no clue how good you've got it. And if you think you've been screwed over, you really need to read about how Europe was treated. They never got Earthbound initially. Or many of the early Final Fantasy games. Don't tell me how "long ago" this was because I can assure you that even today, both regions that aren't Japan are getting shafted in some way. And need I remind you of Australia, which continues to get shafted in many ways?

Before this gets out of hand though, can we change the topic here?

...Of course.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

If you're talking about merchandise, guess what? That shit doesn't sell here.

lol, funny. It actually does sell here. Otherwise, why would the Nintendo World Store exist? Why would stores like Hot Topic exist? Why would GAMESTOP exist? (they're like 50% gaming merchandise) Also, Amiibo have sold better here than anywhere else in the world.

Also, I'm aware that Europe gets screwed too. Whenever I say west, I typically mean Europe as well as North America.

Edited by Anacybele

lol, funny. It actually does sell here. Otherwise, why would the Nintendo Store exist? Why would stores like Hot Topic exist? Why would GAMESTOP exist? (they're like 50% gaming merchandise)

Then tell me why you don't see the OSTs here.

Or perhaps, *Gasp*, the companies that make the merchandise you want don't have the license to do so in North America!

Then tell me why you don't see the OSTs here.

Probably because we have things like YouTube for music. There are no need for the OSTs.

Besides, the merchandise I'm mainly referring to are things like plushies, t-shirts, knicknacks like figures, scarves, and keychains, that sort of thing.

Edited by Anacybele

Well duh, of course Toys R Us has that stuff. But why don't you go check out Japan? What they have compared to NA and Europe is the equivalent of comparing a Walmart to a gas station shop as far as I've seen.

Also, I'm not the only one with this "entitlement." Go talk to a lot of Pokemon fans, I've seen plenty say that it's unfair how much Pokemon stuff Japan gets that never gets out here, like event items and Pokemon for the games. I saw a lot of complaints from Zelda fans about the Hyrule Warriors stuff as well.

Edited by Anacybele

If getting merchandise from other countries is so concerning to you, you could always order on Amiami, Amazon.com and the like.

Regardless, good think Cloud won't be released in just one country. ;) Imagine regionally exclusive DLC!

Probably because we have things like YouTube for music. There are no need for the OSTs.

Besides, the merchandise I'm mainly referring to are things like plushies, t-shirts, knicknacks like figures, scarves, and keychains, that sort of thing.

All that stuff is either sold here or can be easily imported.

Seriously, that particular kind of merch is like the worst kind of example since it's not region locked. With video games at least it's more of a valid argument (and even those have ways around it).

I wouldn't really say easily. Some stuff is easy to import, sure. But I wanted to order the Hyrule Warriors scarf from eBay (I don't think it was ever available separate from the game otherwise), but I don't know if these are bootlegs or not and some are priced ridiculously high. I wouldn't have to worry about this if I could've just bought it along with the game at GameStop or something.

I wouldn't really say easily. Some stuff is easy to import, sure. But I wanted to order the Hyrule Warriors scarf from eBay (I don't think it was ever available separate from the game otherwise), but I don't know if these are bootlegs or not and some are priced ridiculously high. I wouldn't have to worry about this if I could've just bought it along with the game at GameStop or something.

This is just a single item, though. I'm not entirely sure why you keep talking about "all this stuff Japan gets", yet you keep mentioning the same, single example in every response.

Heck, the scarf itself is an awful example. It was also released in Europe!

I thought Europe didn't get it either, my mistake. Also, the scarf just happened to fit all of my points, that's all. But for Pokemon, a lot of event items and Pokemon never make it outside of Japan and Japan is getting more out of the RBY eShop release, the Awakening keychains never made it outside of Japan despite the game's popularity in the west, etc.

I thought Europe didn't get it either, my mistake. Also, the scarf just happened to fit all of my points, that's all. But for Pokemon, a lot of event items and Pokemon never make it outside of Japan and Japan is getting more out of the RBY eShop release, the Awakening keychains never made it outside of Japan despite the game's popularity in the west, etc.

All that can be imported, or at least, were available to import while they were in stock.

What do you mean by Japan is getting more out of the RBY eShop release? That they're also getting the Green version? I doubt anyone cares about that. If you mean the physical release, that's just a box with a download code.

I mean this post from the Pokemon board:

Japan gets a bit more out of the whole thing: those in Japan or willing to import can get a magnet of the Game Boy cartridge of Japanese Pokemon Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow, and get a download code for the 3DS Virtual Console game, a map of Kanto, and a manual.