SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all speculated that the female villager would be in, but looks like Sakurai took it a step further with different faces and shirt/dress styles too. That's even better than what I expected to represent the villagers. I wonder if all the colours will be available for both types of villager.

I'm also in the camp that hopes that Ganondorf gets a bigger overhaul. I mean, he DOES play differently from Captain Falcon but his moveset beyond his side-B and Final Smash is so very unlike him. There's a wealth of history to update his character with and a bunch of characters have had moves adjusted so far so one can only dream...

[/happy dances all over of the thread]

Actually, the four villagers we've seen so far are, well, defaults for their particular facial structure.

For those unaware, whenever you start the game for the first time you're asked a series of questions. The way you answers these questions determines your character's face - and each face has a default hair/clothing choice.

The pink-haired girl was even on the box of Wild World.

So now I'm wondering about to the other palette swaps...

Are they all just as scary looking in Animal Crossing? The Villager from the original trailer looks downright cute next to them.

Edited by BrightBow

Are they all just as scary looking in Animal Crossing? The Villager from the original trailer looks downright cute next to them.

he watches you when you sleep

pz41m6C.jpg

he watches you when you sleep

pz41m6C.jpg

You read my post, edited the image, saved and uploaded it and made this post in just four minutes? Man, I'm slow with that kind of stuff.

Anyway, I was really more thinking about the green girl as the worst offender but this guy really had to be put where he is with the intend to give people nightmares.

Edited by BrightBow

Yall ever read that Animal Crossing "LP" with a sidecomic and

Penny

That zoom's not much after that

Edited by Rehab

Wow, this was surprising and impressive. It gets my hopes up that there will be plenty of alternate costumes. Although, this may just be a special case for the villager because they have no set appearance in their games.

Ahaha okay I'm pleased about this. I'm not gonna parade around with 'I told you so's and whatnot since I was actually legitimately worried that this wouldn't happen, but I'm very happy that they saw fit to include the female, of course. And in terms of having different hair and clothes designs for the Villager's alternate colors, well, that's about everything I had expected! So this is great!

The problem in my opinion isn't that 'it's a clone', but rather his fighting style doesn't represent Ganondorf well. I as well, don't mind if they don't update him, but I would prefer it. He is after all still the heavy, power-based fighter which is nice, but I still think he should have a sword and maybe some magic-based specials as that is what he does in the games.

It's not a high priority for me, but it'd definitely be refreshing to see them do so.

I'd honestly prefer him with a trident myself, even though that's. more of Ganon's thing. It seems like that would serve as a nice complement to Link without the overdone dark sword thing, aat least it does to me anyhow.

Now the magic I get, since there's definitely not a lot of that in his moveset, but TBH I sort of question whether the sword is really 'representing' him any better than the regular Smash Bros interpretation of him is. I mean... Let's think about this, Ganondorf hasn't actually used the sword that often, he didn't use it at all in his Ocarina fights despite apparently having it.

This is just my interpretation mind you, but I get the feeling it's not really even his preferred fighting style. Consider the fact that he has a different style of swords in each game-- in Ocarina, he's got the giant bastard sword (despite, again, never using it), in Wind Waker, he dual-wields, and in Twilight Princess, he's got the stolen sage sword. Personally, I feel like he only ever uses swords to taunt you-- as if to say, 'yeah, even though I can fry you with lightning bolts (or w/e hyperbole is hyperbole) I'm gonna defeat you with your own weapon, punk. Because I can. I'm just that powerful.' In the case of his most noteworthy sword-using appearance, Twilight Princess, it seems like his sword is little more than a trophy for him of his previous victories-- the fact that he can use one skillfully is just a testament to his agelessness and vast experience (heck you can even see a fair bit of his confidence and disdain even in his body language during the final duel). It's like Yoda and The Emperor in the original Star Wars trilogy-- they're never seen using a lightsaber, and it's sort of implied (if refuted in the prequels, but fuck them) that they've grown beyond the need for a lightsaber. Hubris is a thing. That's just how I interpret it, anyway.

As for the trident, I always thought that WAS a thing for Ganon-- Ganon, though. Not Ganondorf? *shrug*

Now that Twilight Princess isn't so recent anymore, though, maybe he'll have a more universal Ganon form for his Final Smash.

Edited by BANRYU

Ooh, this might mean Awakening's Avatar has a better chance than we thought. It could still also mean that it's still a bit of a stretch to include two avatar-type characters though.

Ooh, this might mean Awakening's Avatar has a better chance than we thought.

Possibly. I'm a bit more open to the possibility after this reveal (both the reveal that the Villager has a female option AND the fact that he/she has multiple alternate costumes instead of just palette swaps), but I'd still rather have a named character like Chrom or Lucina rather than someone just named "Tactician" or "Avatar". I mean, I guess they could just call the Avatar "Robin" (there's precedent for that with Link, though that's a little different).

Edited by ClevelandSteve

You know, this whole choosing to be male or female isn't entirely new. It's kinda been there, but never noticed with the Ice Climbers. With some of the color palettes, you alternate between Popo and Nana being the lead.

Now as for how this is relevant....... *shrugs* Just putting it out there

Ooh, this might mean Awakening's Avatar has a better chance than we thought. It could still also mean that it's still a bit of a stretch to include two avatar-type characters though.

I hadn't even realized this, but it makes a lot of sense, maybe it could help add some base behind Marth having a Lucina alt costume as well. I love how Sakurai is constantly giving out all these pictures that could be interpreted to have as much meaning as a well-written poem, it drives me crazy, but it's awesome nonetheless

I don't think it necessarily means that the MU has a bigger chance, but I think it DOES mean that, if somehow he/she DOES get in, we can expect a similar degree of variety in terms of hair and other features, which is nice.

I still don't think Awakening's Tactician is likely at all though haha. It's definitely a stretch to have another avatar-character like this, especially from Fire Emblem. With Animal Crossing it makes sense, because who else are you going to put in? You ARE the main character in AC. In Fire Emblem, it's a different story; while your self-insert takes a big role in the story (arguably quite a shoehorned one at that), Chrom (and debatably Lucina) are still more important to the story of the game than the Tactician, and thus have higher chances. At least, based on my guesses.

You know, this whole choosing to be male or female isn't entirely new. It's kinda been there, but never noticed with the Ice Climbers. With some of the color palettes, you alternate between Popo and Nana being the lead.

Now as for how this is relevant....... *shrugs* Just putting it out there

Mmm... Somehow I get the feeling it's not really the same, but you've got a point.

Edited by BANRYU

Well, I don't think Lucina is likely, as I feel she's overshadowed by Chrom and the Avatar. Avatar has a way more important role than her, imo. Also, in a manner of speaking, Avatar can also count as a villain because of the Grima stuff.

He/she would also stand out the most from Marth and Ike. I feel that Chrom and Avatar's chances are even.

Lucina obviously has no role for like the first half of the game, but with anything relating to Grima, she strikes me as being fairly important-- or at least being intended that way (shitty writing making her stand at the sidelines most of the time or no); the scenes with her in the future of despair are pretty powerful (even if Grima's english VA and dialogue suck). But I guess that's too subjective, really. *shrug* It's entirely possible that I'm biased on the topic too (as I actually like her and really want her to be the Awakening candidate lol), but I feel like she has a good chance of being *the one*~

Just remember that movesets and standing out and whatnot basically don't matter as far as chances to get in are concerned. Anyone can stand out with the proper design, and we know that that's something that Sakurai's good at, so that shouldn't be a factor. Also remember that what I said earlier in the thread about FE villains basically being an impossible prospect in Smash Bros, Ana; it certainly doesn't help that Grima was a pretty shitty villain lol... Even removing the villain thing and treating the Tactician as a hero, though, I definitely think (s)he's much less likely than either Chrom or Lucina, mainly for the issues of being an avatar character.

Having a self-insert character in a game about iconic characters is completely counterproductive (the Villager is an exception for reasons I mentioned already). IMO that's all there is to it, really.

Edited by BANRYU

it just bugs me that people want Lucina as a costume for Marth. like really? remember that isn't Lucina the most popular female in awakening next to Tharja? I'm sure most of us expect Chrom, but it would be nice to have a female lord.

Quite an awesome update. So I'm guessing the male Villager will have 4-6 costumes and the female Villager will also have 4-6 costumes? Or will it have a different costume distribution?

Either way, it's really great that Sakurai is really expanding on alternate costumes a lot more for SSB4. All the villager costumes really help represent and show off all the different Villager appearances available in Animal Crossing.

...admittingly, I mostly always stick with the default costumes in Smash Bros., since seeing characters in colours/outfits they never canonically wear (like Orange Luigi or Green Marth) is a bit weird for me. Though if it's a costume they canonically wear in their own games (like Fire Mario and Fire Luigi), I'll use that costume every now and then. The only non-canonical costume I use often is Twin White Ice Climbers (to confuse my opponents as to who's the lead Climber in the heat of battle, plus it looks so cute and fluffy) and SNES R.O.B. (that's what I call the purple R.O.B. costume. Since the SNES was a big part of my childhood, I like that costume for him quite a lot)

it just bugs me that people want Lucina as a costume for Marth. like really? remember that isn't Lucina the most popular female in awakening next to Tharja? I'm sure most of us expect Chrom, but it would be nice to have a female lord.

Maybe because Lucina looks exactly like a female Marth? She even masqueraded as him. It only makes sense that he can do the same with her. Yeah, Marth doesn't actually wear the same clothes in his games, but he's given the same outfit in Awakening, and as I said, Chrom or Avatar would make more sense in the playable spot for Awakening, so I see no reason why Lucina can't be a costume for Marth. Daisy is a costume for Peach in a similar manner.

Banryu: Keep in mind that Sakurai himself has stated that he looks for unique characteristics and moves. The Avatar would be easier to do a unique set for than Chrom and Lucina, imo, because of magic being Avatar's main weapon. Avatar also uses swords. but he/she always starts equipped with magic.

Also, a lot of people don't actually consider the Avatar to be a self-insert because he/she is given some personality and dialogue. And some of his/her design is fixed too, like the robe and pants.

Imo, the worst that will happen is that Lucina is playable and Ike is cut. I hate her, so... :P

Edited by Anacybele