SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because Lucina looks exactly like a female Marth? She even masqueraded as him. It only makes sense that he can do the same with her. Yeah, Marth doesanyone actually wear the same clothes in his games, but he's given the same outfit in Awakening, and as I said, Chrom or Avatar would make more sense in the playable spot for Awakening, so I see no reason why Lucina can't be a costume for Marth. Daisy is a costume for Peach in a similar manner.

Banryu: Keep in mind that Sakurai himself has stated that he looks for unique characteristics and moves. The Avatar would be easier to do a unique set for than Chrom and Lucina, imo, because of magic being Avatar's main weapon. Avatar also uses swords. but he/she always starts equipped with magic.

Also, a lot of people don't actually consider the Avatar to be a self-insert because he/she is given some personality and dialogue. And some of his/her design is fixed too, like the robe and pants.

Imo, the worst that will happen is that Lucina is playable and Ike is cut. I hate her, so... :P

regardless of what makes a char stand out, through the powers of innovative and/or creative gimmicks, any char can be unique.

For example, Marth may be a sword user, but his gimmick is sweet spotting. Link also has a sword, plus an arsenal of other weapons. Kirby is inspired by his copy abilities, along with copying abilities of other chars. Meta Knight has barrage like swordplay, with how quick it is, along with flight. Roy had an alternate sweetspot with fire effects. Lucario has his unique Aura effect that wasnt present (or i dont believe to be) at all in the pokemon series.

My point being, it takes much more than just moveset animations and designs from wherever said person comes from that makes them work as a suitable smash character. Something about them has to be taken, and exploited from either them, or what they come from for any such person. Little Mac is proof of this, despite being a boxer

If the devs can pull it off, any one of the three can get it

Edited by The Chosen One

regardless of what makes a char stand out, through the powers of innovative and/or creative gimmicks, any char can be unique.

For example, Marth may be a sword user, but his gimmick is sweet spotting. Link also has a sword, plus an arsenal of other weapons. Kirby is inspired by his copy abilities, along with copying abilities of other chars. Meta Knight has barrage like swordplay, with how quick it is, along with flight. Roy had an alternate sweetspot with fire effects. Lucario has his unique Aura effect that wasnt present (or i dont believe to be) at all in the pokemon series.

My point being, it takes much more than just moveset animations and designs from wherever said person comes from that makes them work as a suitable smash character. Something about them has to be taken, and exploited for any such person. Little Mac is proof of this, despite being a boxer

There's also the Wii Fit Trainer with their deep breathing power up. That's definitely a unique characteristic. Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with what we've seen from the WFT moveset because there wasn't anything spectacular to go off of... Then they made explosive sun salutations.

On the other hand, there's characters like Mega Man, who draws off a large background. He almost never punches or kicks, but uses so many robot master powers.

So variety can help uniqueness as well, but if they want a character in, they'll figure something out.

I'm staying away from the hype train to avoid being disappointed

I'll leave the hype for after we get something

The worst thing that could happen is the Avatar sue being in. ;_; *hates the char*

Just do like me

See a char you don't like as an opportunity to beat the crap out of it :V

Edited by Baldo

Actually, I sort of take back what I said earlier. I think Lucina could probably work as a character with Marth if the two worked like Falco and Fox respectively, being different weights, changing a few moves between them, and the obvious aesthetic differences

Anybody who thinks you can't get very unique with a boxing character doesn't know shit about pretend boxing

Anybody who thinks you can't get very unique with a boxing character doesn't know shit about pretend boxing

This. This in spades.

Just look at the movesets for the boxers in Punch-Out!! None of them fight even remotely the same.

Maybe because Lucina looks exactly like a female Marth? She even masqueraded as him. It only makes sense that he can do the same with her. Yeah, Marth doesn't actually wear the same clothes in his games, but he's given the same outfit in Awakening, and as I said, Chrom or Avatar would make more sense in the playable spot for Awakening, so I see no reason why Lucina can't be a costume for Marth. Daisy is a costume for Peach in a similar manner.

Banryu: Keep in mind that Sakurai himself has stated that he looks for unique characteristics and moves. The Avatar would be easier to do a unique set for than Chrom and Lucina, imo, because of magic being Avatar's main weapon. Avatar also uses swords. but he/she always starts equipped with magic.

Also, a lot of people don't actually consider the Avatar to be a self-insert because he/she is given some personality and dialogue. And some of his/her design is fixed too, like the robe and pants.

Imo, the worst that will happen is that Lucina is playable and Ike is cut. I hate her, so... :P

Some personality? What personality they've given are things that are merely told you to, throughout various support conversations that you may or may not see. It's fairly standard protagonist fare here: selfless, brave, considerate, witty. The little personality they're given is broad enough to encompass aspects of practically everyone's personality.

Self-inserts don't have to be complete blank slates, faceless and voiceless.

... But, this is a TAD off-topic, isn't it? Right. To the actual discussion at hand:

We actually don't have any clue on HOW they change from the male characters to the female ones. Is it similar to Zelda/Sheik's selection screen, are they separate characters in the menu? Nitpicky of me to wonder such a thing, but...

This opens up the possibility of the Avatar, as mentioned, or even Lucina as a "female" character for Marth.

I'm not sure if I threw this out before, but what about Avatar importing from Awakening?

Nothing? Fine...

How much do you want the game delayed is what I ask back to this

Some personality? What personality they've given are things that are merely told you to, throughout various support conversations that you may or may not see. It's fairly standard protagonist fare here: selfless, brave, considerate, witty. The little personality they're given is broad enough to encompass aspects of practically everyone's personality.

Self-inserts don't have to be complete blank slates, faceless and voiceless.

She didn't say the Avatar had a good personality, lol.

Should such a feature actually be planned, it would already be taken into account and the game would not be delayed.

I'm not sure if I threw this out before, but what about Avatar importing from Awakening?

Nothing? Fine...

Can you even connect a 3DS up with a Wii U?

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-holding-two-e3-qaspresentations-smash-bros-new-3ds-game/

Nintendo's hosting a Q&A / presentation just for Smash Bros.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN.

EEEEE! I'm so excited! I really hope I don't get disappointed like I was with the Smash direct though. :/ I swear I'll just explode.

How can people be disappointed with the Smash Direct I'll never know. We got TONS of info, and a lot of stuff I wasn't even expecting to show up (like such detailed info on the online modes).

Edited by Jave

How can people be disappointed with the Smash Direct I'll never know. We got TONS of info, and a lot of stuff I wasn't even expecting to show up (like such detailed info on the online modes).

because their favourite characters didn't appear in the Smash Direct.

And because a character they wanted is a Pokéball summon.

We actually don't have any clue on HOW they change from the male characters to the female ones. Is it similar to Zelda/Sheik's selection screen, are they separate characters in the menu? Nitpicky of me to wonder such a thing, but...

This opens up the possibility of the Avatar, as mentioned, or even Lucina as a "female" character for Marth.

Quite an awesome update. So I'm guessing the male Villager will have 4-6 costumes and the female Villager will also have 4-6 costumes? Or will it have a different costume distribution?

For both Villager and WFT it'll probably be like Wario, where you just scroll through the selections to get to the alternate version. I think it's a safe bet that they'll have the same number of costumes each, yeah.

Maybe because Lucina looks exactly like a female Marth? She even masqueraded as him. It only makes sense that he can do the same with her. Yeah, Marth doesn't actually wear the same clothes in his games, but he's given the same outfit in Awakening, and as I said, Chrom or Avatar would make more sense in the playable spot for Awakening, so I see no reason why Lucina can't be a costume for Marth. Daisy is a costume for Peach in a similar manner.

Okay you've got a good point about the unique characteristics and moves, but that alone isn't enough of a reason to get the Tactician character in. And make no mistake, the Avatar is undeniably a self-insert. The fact that IS didn't give us different dialogue options and instead used a universally bland personality doesn't change that (rather, confirms it if anything; it's like how Bella from Twilight isn't a good character, but women still read the books because they like to imagine themselves in her shoes).

Furthermore when I looked at the two of them again, they're really not THAT similar-- they have the same color scheme, but that's about it, really. The fact that Lucina was masquerading as Marth also means basically nothing when you consider that no one, including Lucina herself, had any idea what Marth looked like. The fact that she DID look like Marth was to fake out the player more than anyone else within the context of the game.

I suppose Lucina could work as a costume for Marth, but meh, I'd rather just have her be playable myself.

Although I do still think that Chrom has a better shot.

Besides...

Just do like me

^ This. hahaha

yyyyyyep

...actually though in my case that's not completely true lol. I already knew Ridley was going to be a stage hazard so seeing that confirmed didn't dampen my spirits SO much that the other new stuff didn't still excite me~

I've gotten to the point in which I don't even care what Fire Emblem rep is in Smash, as long as there is a new one.

Pretty much all characters are just unlocked by doing everything the game has to offer anyway, in my experience.

I hope so.
If everything's already done, then I will check the walkthrough to see if I got everyone.

And we all know how much I love Ike. ;P

He'd better make it. -.-

I'd honestly prefer him with a trident myself, even though that's. more of Ganon's thing. It seems like that would serve as a nice complement to Link without the overdone dark sword thing, aat least it does to me anyhow.

Have him ride a stallion with his final smash, too.
Sword dash attack, anyone.

BCqpDSe.jpg

Cool. :D

As for the trident, I always thought that WAS a thing for Ganon-- Ganon, though. Not Ganondorf? *shrug*

Now that Twilight Princess isn't so recent anymore, though, maybe he'll have a more universal Ganon form for his Final Smash.

Bold: Already said to Kon.

Well, I don't think Lucina is likely, as I feel she's overshadowed by Chrom and the Avatar. Avatar has a way more important role than her, imo. Also, in a manner of speaking, Avatar can also count as a villain because of the Grima stuff.

He/she would also stand out the most from Marth and Ike. I feel that Chrom and Avatar's chances are even.

Chrom and Avatar should make it!

Lucina should be Marth's alternate costume. She should wear the mask and pose as him saying "I am Marth". It's the only way that we can get her in.

1. I'm staying away from the hype train to avoid being disappointed

I'll leave the hype for after we get something

2. Just do like me

1.But that's what makes it so exciiiiiting!

Discuss away until it's out!
Wanna see 600+pages before it comes out like in the smashboards. :3

2. ^This.

Yes.

They should do this.

I don't care.
More time. More characters=also better development.

1. She didn't say the Avatar had a good personality, lol.

2. Should such a feature actually be planned, it would already be taken into account and the game would not be delayed.

1. He's/She's of the endliness.
2. If it gets late, localization will spell trouble as some games didn't make it to our area because of this.
I'm talking to you, Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

-----

Two things....

ws5k.png
Who else but me want Young Link to return? He was so cute. :3
If he returns, he should get the Fairy Sword for his weapon and using three masks Zora, Goron and Deku using their techniques with each transformation.
Who else agrees that Cynthia(Shirona) should be the next pokemon trainer to control the pokes?
She's been in enough games as well as popularity to become playable. We do need enough girls and kids in Smash Bros.
She should be the female trainer for selecting between her or Red.
Emily Jennes should do her voice (Cynthia) and Sarah Natocheeny, or Veronica Taylor should do Red's voice.

However, if Geno, Toad(Playable); BK, Deathborn, and, ...or Mallow makes it, I'll play the games until they're scolding hot!

Edited by Barbie

I thought Smash Direct was great and my top character Toadette didn't get in and they didn't show anything of Nester either!

Btw, this whole time I was wondering whether Barbie was Dark Huntress despite how obvious the similarities are and with the replying in spoilers only makes me more certain, but I'm asking just in case I'm wrong lol.

I thought Smash Direct was great and my top character Toadette didn't get in and they didn't show anything of Nester either!

Btw, this whole time I was wondering whether Barbie was Dark Huntress despite how obvious the similarities are and with the replying in spoilers only makes me more certain, but I'm asking just in case I'm wrong lol.

I'm her.

...And Toadette should have at least been an assist trophy.

Edited by Barbie

First off, yes, I was disappointed that there was almost nothing related to Fire Emblem in that direct. But that wasn't the only thing I didn't like about it. Smash Run didn't look like anything special, imo. A lot of the info we were shown was stuff we already knew (like stages and such). And I dislike Greninja and Charizard. Charizard's new FS being Mega Charizard X has made me want to play him though, so I'm not as disappointed as I was before.

But I was NEVER disappointed that Keldeo isn't playable, but a Pokeball summon. Pokeball summon was my second hope for him if he can't be playable. And I got that.

Anyway, changing the subject.

I had yet ANOTHER dream about an Ike reveal. This is the...fourth one, I think? Yet, this one felt the most real of any of them, by far. I wonder if this is telling me that the time for the real thing draws near... I can be hopeful.

Oh, and this gave me an idea. What if, if Sakurai keeps Ike's Eruption, he changes the color of its and Great Aether's flames to blue? Hint hint. ;D

Oh, and this gave me an idea. What if, if Sakurai keeps Ike's Eruption, he changes the color of its and Great Aether's flames to blue? Hint hint. ;D

If Ike's in and this doesn't happen I'm going to be livid for a full 4.8 seconds.