SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Project M changed his flames to blue. I'm sure you can be happy with it there.

Smash run looks fun due to its Kirby Airide inspired stuff.

I dislike Greninja being added but I liked the direct and Greninja is probably gonna be fun I suppose just still waiting for a newcomer that jumps out to me as someone I really want to play as

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and this gave me an idea. What if, if Sakurai keeps Ike's Eruption, he changes the color of its and Great Aether's flames to blue? Hint hint. ;D

Project M did that, PM fans might accuse him of copying. (although I'm not sure if he'd care)

Er, I doubt Sakurai even KNOWS of Project M. :/

Also, the blue flame thing didn't even belong to the PM staff to begin with, so they'd have no right to accuse him of copying.

Er, I doubt Sakurai even KNOWS of Project M. :/ Also, the blue flame thing didn't even belong to the PM staff to begin with, so they'd have no right to accuse him of copying.

You doubt Sakurai. Who keeps up with almost all smash related things. Not knowing about Project M.

You're funny, considering he even checks polls on AMERICAN forums

Edited by Jedisupersorry

i don't know about sakurai personally, obviously, but apparently using the phrase "project m" in any context on miiverse nets you an automated ban. make of that what you will

i don't know about sakurai personally, obviously, but apparently using the phrase "project m" in any context on miiverse nets you an automated ban. make of that what you will

Not a ban, but a warning, I wondered why I seemed to have got them out of nowhere. I don't think Sakurai controls miiverse, that's probably something NoA did.

If Sakurai knew about Project M, wouldn't he have had it blocked/banned from the Wii or something? It IS tampering with HIS creation.

Project M changed his flames to blue. I'm sure you can be happy with it there.

No, sorry. I have no plans to try that "game." I don't have any way to get it, and even if I did, I wouldn't play it because I don't like that it brought back Melee's fast-pacedness. One big reason I prefer Brawl over Melee is the gameplay pace. I found Melee's to be too difficult to keep up with. I like that Sakurai is going with an in-between for SSB4. Melee is too fast, but it doesn't really need to be as floaty as Brawl either.

If Sakurai knew about Project M, wouldn't he have had it blocked/banned from the Wii or something? It IS tampering with HIS creation.

I sometimes wonder what Nintendo employees who browse forums of their games and find ROM hacking sections (like here) think about them. I'm certain that someone at Nintendo knows about all these games of theirs being "tampered" with, but refrain from putting a stop to them because whenever Nintendo has tried to stop them before, Internet backlash has hit them back hard with negative comments. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the most modded console game in existence, I'm sure Sakurai knows something about what goes on in the fan community.

EDIT: Also, it would be really difficult to ban it, as all that is required to run the game is a 2GB SD card and downloading the patch from the Project M site. Nintendo would have to sue or something to bring the site down. I also heard that in a recent Nintendo legal battle, Nintendo lost and the court declared that game mods on the Wii were fine. (I can't remember the source, sorry)

Edited by Knight

I'm with Anacybele here, it's unlikely Sakurai knows about Project M and even if he does, it's highly unlikely he'll play it given how it alters and expands upon what Brawl provided. There is almost 0 chance of Sakurai copying or being inspired by Project M.

^Exactly. So if Sakurai makes Ike's fire blue, it's just coincidence that PM happened to do the same thing. I can see this occurring too, since it's not like Sakurai hasn't changed up anyone else's FSes.

Not a ban, but a warning, I wondered why I seemed to have got them out of nowhere. I don't think Sakurai controls miiverse, that's probably something NoA did.

ah, right. my information must be a bit outdated

that was pretty much what i was thinking too with respect to sakurai's presence. as i understand it, nintendo's never exactly been happy about large-scale ssb tournament events, but odds are the fact that some of them are now publicly running project m tourneys is pissing them off even more than usual

Nintendo is hosting a tournament NOW, but in the recent past they nearly shut down a Melee tournament at... I think it was EVO 2013? The support for fan-run tournaments has been lukewarm at best, though Sakurai obviously knows what the tourney scene prefers. He also more than likely knows about Project M considering he teases his fans over leaks and speculation. It's not like Project M is obscure on the internet.

Edit: I got a chance to look up what happened at EVO last year. The schedule nearly had to be shifted around because Nintendo banned the tournament organizers from streaming the Smash Bros tournament. Due to fan pressure, Nintendo lifted the streaming ban at the last minute so the tourney could go ahead as planned. At EVO 2014, Nintendo has already given their blessing to Smash after learning that it's not worth the fan rage to try blocking it again.

Edited by Samias

What. Nintendo is just fine with big SSB tournaments. They're HOSTING one at E3 for gods' sake. :/

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nintendo-bans-evo-from-streaming-super-smash-bros-melee-tournament/44441.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nintendo-bans-evo-from-streaming-super-smash-bros-melee-tournament

The backlash was HUGE, so eventually Nintendo had to cave and allow it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Smash Wii U tournament they're hosting is to get back on the Smash crowd's good will. They burned a lot of bridges by (almost) taking it out of EVO.

As for Sakurai not knowing of Project M... I'm sure he hasn't PLAYED it (since he's most definitely not allowed to) or he doesn't know about the details and how it works. But not knowing the thing exists? Come on guys, give him SOME credit, he doesn't live under a rock.

But why would Nintendo have been against fan tournaments in the first place? I would think that if so many fans want to have a tournament, it means that their game is loved a lot. And don't they WANT them to love their games that much?

But why would Nintendo have been against fan tournaments in the first place? I would think that if so many fans want to have a tournament, it means that their game is loved a lot. And don't they WANT them to love their games that much?

The problem in the Evo 2013 scene was that they didn't contact Nintendo before hosting and streaming Nintendo created products which was why there was an immediate backlash from Nintendo to ban it immediately. If there were talks before hand, this could of been avoided entirely.

First off, yes, I was disappointed that there was almost nothing related to Fire Emblem in that direct. But that wasn't the only thing I didn't like about it. Smash Run didn't look like anything special, imo. A lot of the info we were shown was stuff we already knew (like stages and such). And I dislike Greninja and Charizard. Charizard's new FS being Mega Charizard X has made me want to play him though, so I'm not as disappointed as I was before.

Oh, and this gave me an idea. What if, if Sakurai keeps Ike's Eruption, he changes the color of its and Great Aether's flames to blue? Hint hint. ;D

Sheesh, Ana. So hard to impress lol. Someone clearly never enjoyed the best part of Kirby Air Ride...~

The blue flames idea is cool though.

Nintendo is hosting a tournament NOW, but in the recent past they nearly shut down a Melee tournament at... I think it was EVO 2013? The support for fan-run tournaments has been lukewarm at best, though Sakurai obviously knows what the tourney scene prefers. He also more than likely knows about Project M considering he teases his fans over leaks and speculation. It's not like Project M is obscure on the internet.

Edit: I got a chance to look up what happened at EVO last year. The schedule nearly had to be shifted around because Nintendo banned the tournament organizers from streaming the Smash Bros tournament. Due to fan pressure, Nintendo lifted the streaming ban at the last minute so the tourney could go ahead as planned. At EVO 2014, Nintendo has already given their blessing to Smash after learning that it's not worth the fan rage to try blocking it again.

Y'know even despite what ddd said about it Nintendo is pretty stupid when it comes to things like this. They're way too sensitive about people supposedly misusing their IPs (they have some kind of weird constraints about streaming the games on Youtube as well IIRC) that they never seem to realize when something is actually giving them good publicity, whether they've been asked for it or not.

I dunno why they're like this really but I hope they freakin' wise up. Being so tightfisted about this kind of thing is hurting them more than they realize.

And someone clearly missed any of the times I said I never played a single Kirby game in my life. I'm just not interested in a round, pink...whatever the hell he is. xP

Sorry if I don't keep track of which games everyone has and hasn't played. ~3~ Kirby is fun, but not everything is for everyone, of course... I just like platformers. And... apparently... Racers adapted from platformers.

The point was more that you were being such a negative nancy lol.

Edited by BANRYU

I like platformers too. It's just that I won't like every single one of them just because they're platformers. :P I've managed to like at least one game from every genre in existence, so genre isn't even really a reason I choose to play a game or not.

Anyway, to get back on topic. How about that upcoming Smash video that's gonna be more than twice as long as the direct from April? :D

The problem in the Evo 2013 scene was that they didn't contact Nintendo before hosting and streaming Nintendo created products which was why there was an immediate backlash from Nintendo to ban it immediately. If there were talks before hand, this could of been avoided entirely.

While this might be part of it, Nintendo has simply always been the least supportive of fan material involving their products. Why is anyone's guess, as they also probably have the least to worry about with regards to such material having a negative effect on the sales of their products (for various reasons).

And yeah, Sakurai very likely knows about Project M. If you think he doesn't, you must not know just how widespread it actually is. If Sakurai knows anything about the tourney scene (which he does, though possibly not much), he knows about Project M.

Kirby games are among the best ever made. It saddens me there's people out there who refuse to play them simply because of how the main character looks. They're definitely missing on a lot, specially given how experimental the Kirby series is. I love how almost every game in the series tries something different.

I've managed to like at least one game from every genre in existence

Somehow I really doubt this.