SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

This statement is amazing.

Yes. Ike will NEVER be more relevant than Lucas, because Mother 3 touched so many hearts, and I know most people would pick Lucas over Ike if one had to be cut from Smash.

Relevant is a pretty stupid term anyway. This is Smash, Nintendo's history. No lord like Ephraim or Hector or Micaiah will even get in though, and it isn't about "relevancy" but their mark on the series. Marth, Lyn, Ike, Chrom, Robin, and Lucina are the only FE characters from 1-Awakening who I think ever could. Maybe Eliwood.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... what Rinoa said.

Especially before Awakening, MOTHER had always more fans than FE, at least in the west.

In Japan, I'm not sure; what do you say, SoC??

If you're going by just Ike and the Tellius games, Mother's fanbase going to beat that to the ground in Japan.

I'd say Mother is bigger in Japan too.

Even if there's a hell of a lot more "loyal" FE fans in Japan before Awakening.

Just a simple google search:

"Up until its release, the game remained near the top of Famitsu's most wanted games list. Immediately before its release, Mother 3 was the most wanted game in Japan according to Weekly Famitsu."

Yeah, Lucas destroys Ike in Japan.

How many of you are Ike fans ?!

I praise thee Almighty Ike

For your sexy chin in RD's intro, and your virile arm, and your stern, determined eyes can move the heart and passion of many young women and men

I praise thee Oh Handsome Ike

For your worth as a unit is amazing and I surely don't mind your two-range with the Ragnell

I praise thee Simple Ike

For you are the Fire Emblem hero of the commoners, always with your feet on the ground, and not another idealistic Lord

tl;dr Yeah Ike is awesome and hot.

^You see, people... *THIS* is a good Ike fan.

Appreciates his qualities, yet realizes his limitations in regards to his popularity and as a character.

And doesn't bring up their headcanons or comparisons to other characters without proper research.

Wbkmtosl.jpg

Edited by shadowofchaos

Lucas is still far more popular than Ike. If you think even for a second that FE Tellius is more popular than Mother 3, then you're kidding yourself.

In fact, I dare say the the Mother series's cult following is larger than a cult nowadays, and that it dwarfed pre-Awakening FE's fanbase.

Just sayin'.

I seriously doubt Lucas is more popular than Ike. Ike's games might not be extremely popular, but that doesn't mean Ike himself isn't. If I recall, he was one of the most used Brawl characters in free-for-alls. I myself can't tell you how many times I played against other Ikes online.

And FE in general these days is more popular and more relevant, like I said. Mother also has only three games and the series ended how many years ago? FE is still going on strong. Not to mention Ike isn't as cloney as Lucas and is far more unique.

Also, you seem to have completely ignored where I said Ike has more games to himself than Lucas and that he's going to appear yet again in an upcoming title.

EDIT: Didn't see any of the posts above until just now, but I'm also going to say that I was never only talking about Japan's point of view. I'm talking about a worldwide point of view. Ike's games are international. Lucas's isn't. I didn't even have any idea who Lucas was until Brawl. This also helps Ike's relevancy and popularity worldwide.

And who ever said that I don't understand Ike's limitations and such? I'm not saying he's the most popular character ever or anything stupid like that. I realize Japan dislikes him and his games sold poorly and that he only has a lot of popularity out west. But I think some others just don't get that popularity alone isn't everything.

Edited by Anacybele

Yes. Ike will NEVER be more relevant than Lucas, because Mother 3 touched so many hearts, and I know most people would pick Lucas over Ike if one had to be cut from Smash.

Relevant is a pretty stupid term anyway. This is Smash, Nintendo's history. No lord like Ephraim or Hector or Micaiah will even get in though, and it isn't about "relevancy" but their mark on the series. Marth, Lyn, Ike, Chrom, Robin, and Lucina are the only FE characters from 1-Awakening who I think ever could. Maybe Eliwood.

I'd say Leaf stands at least as much of a chance as Lyn. Potential for a unique moveset and the only lord other than Marth and Ike to have a major role in two games.

Hmm... if I could say something on Ike's favor over Lucas... most Smash players who didn't play PoR/RD and MOTHER 3 tend to prefer Ike much more than Lucas... :(

Not just because Ike has the "cool" factor, but because they think Lucas is a lame pansy kid. I swear once I was the target of one hateable player's most kills because I used Lucas! And he kept on saying "God I hate Lucas... such a brat..." while destroying me.

I can't tolerate those Lucas haters because they have no idea what he has gone through even if he's just a character.

Of course, if it were for me, I'd like to get both characters back (Lucas is my main in Brawl), and maybe give Lucas a more different move set, and PK Love as his Final Smash.

^You see, people... *THIS* is a good Ike fan.
Appreciates his qualities, yet realizes his limitations in regards to his popularity and as a character.

Oh my!!(/)///(\; )

I'm flattered!

Yes, continue ignoring everything contrary to what you think Ana. You doubt Lucas is more popular than Ike? Don't. Make. Me. Laugh. Ike has more games than Lucas, but the splash Lucas made is far greater than his. Mother may be a "dead" series, but it lives on through the hearts of its fans. THERE IS A FANGAME. Now you've got me mad.

Comparing Lucas to Ike popularity wise is like comparing Dixie Kong's to Mewtwo's.

---

Jotari, I suppose that's true. However, I'd say Leif missed his chance in Melee when he was cut early in development for Roy.

Edited by Rinoa Heartilly

The thing that has always been a factor in smash when it comes to "unique movesets"... is that "is the newcomer worth the work? Or is there some possible way to make them a clone and have less work for our dev team?"

Yes, continue ignoring everything contrary to what you think Ana. You doubt Lucas is more popular than Ike? Don't. Make. Me. Laugh. Ike has more games than Lucas, but the splash Lucas made is far greater than his. Mother may be a "dead" series, but it lives on through the hearts of its fans. THERE IS A FANGAME.

Comparing Lucas to Ike popularity wise is like comparing Dixie Kong's to Mewtwo's.

---

Jotari, I suppose that's true. However, I'd say Leif missed his chance in Melee when he was cut early in development for Roy.

And you completely ignore again that I'm not talking about only Japan. Lucas only touched Japan. Not the rest of the world. Ike DID touch the rest of the world. So he's far more well-known and likely more popular overall. Japan prefers Lucas, but they seem to be the only ones that do.

And you completely ignore again that I'm not talking about only Japan. Lucas only touched Japan. Not the rest of the world. Ike DID touch the rest of the world. So he's far more well-known and likely more popular overall. Japan prefers Lucas, but they seem to be the only ones that do.

You kid yourself. Lucas is more popular in America by far. And that "Lucas only touched Japan" thing is garbage. Maybe you have been, but I have. And many more.

Maybe you've heard of this man?

That's why I compared him to Lyn who kind of missed her chance in Brawl. Though the fact that she's sticking around as an assist trophy means she might get promoted some day like Little Mac did. Of course it would also be sweet if some day in the future we could get a Holy War/Thracia remake localized but that's probably only the stuff of dreams.

Also on the Lucas V Ike debate, I would like to point out Mother is only a dead series because Itoi, the guy who makes them, didn't want to make any more than three games. And he's not actual involved in the video game industry so he really had no interest in the series beyond his own desires to create something unique. It doesn't have anything to do with popularity or sales.

That's why I compared him to Lyn who kind of missed her chance in Brawl. Though the fact that she's sticking around as an assist trophy means she might get promoted some day like Little Mac did. Of course it would also be sweet if some day in the future we could get a Holy War/Thracia remake localized but that's probably only the stuff of dreams.

Also on the Lucas V Ike debate, I would like to point out Mother is only a dead series because Itoi, the guy who makes them, didn't want to make any more than three games. And he's not actual involved in the video game industry so he really had no interest in the series beyond his own desires to create something unique. It doesn't have anything to do with popularity or sales.

I only put Lyn honestly because Blazing Sword was the first game in America, and who many fans of the series even today were introduced to an FE game. (not marth/roy that technically doesnt count)

I'm assuming that's why she's the assist.

You kid yourself. Lucas is more popular in America by far. And that "Lucas only touched Japan" thing is garbage. Maybe you have been, but I have. And many more.

Maybe you've heard of this man?

Nope, I don't. And garbage? Don't make me laugh. It's fact that Lucas only touched Japan. As the video you just posted points out, his game was never released outside of Japan.

Give me proof that Lucas is more popular than Ike (which would be totally weird anyway. How can someone like a crybaby kid over a badass muscular swordsman like Ike?) outside of Japan and I'll shut up.

And no, I've never heard of that guy.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, it's not like we get new Game & Watches, so I don't see why we shouldn't keept MOTHER characters/trophies. They still are a novelty, cult classic Nintendo series and they deserve the spot.

Also, outside Japan, I'm not sure if Lucas is more popular than Ike, and the reason for this is Brawl. Here in Italy, for example, Ike is much more popular simply due to Brawl.

But, honestly, Ana, you shouldn't be angry at MOTHER anyway: it's a great series that preaches love and that tells us we should never have prejudices, but always our own thoughts and ideals. It's a staple of quirky videogames.

Actually, Lucas has a really huge worldwide fanbase. And his game has been (unofficially) translated into English and widely played (seriously, finding Let's Plays of the English version on Youtube is trivially easy. In fact, I've seen far more Mother 3 English Translation Let's Plays than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn combined).

And, as Rinoa Heartlily said, Mother 4 is coming out as a fangame. Made by English-speakers. That alone proves how large and dedicated the worldwide fanbase of this series is.

Nope, I don't. And garbage? Don't make me laugh. It's fact that Lucas only touched Japan. As the video you just posted points out, it was never released outside of Japan.

Give me proof that Lucas is more popular than Ike (which would be totally weird anyway. How can someone like a crybaby kid over a badass muscular swordsman like Ike?) outside of Japan and I'll shut up.

possibly because badass is based on perspective of a character and other people may (god forbid) have DIFFERENT OPINIONS on what characters types they like (GASP)

and considering Nintendo is based in Japan, and they kinda are making the game the fact that Lucas touched Japan a lot should like, give him better chances.

But you've probably heard that enough considering Ike and jazz.

If Lucas and Mother 3 wouldn't have a following outside Japan, they wouldn't have mentioned it in the Nintendo Digital Event.

Also, lol at "It was only released in Japan so no one outside Japan knows about it".

And Lucas doesn't exactly stay a crybaby. He has quite a bit of great character growth not to mention some very heartbreaking moments.

Ike has development too but not even close to the same extent. Most of it is in PoR and he remains static in RD

Well, it's not like we get new Game & Watches, so I don't see why we shouldn't keept MOTHER characters/trophies. They still are a novelty, cult classic Nintendo series and they deserve the spot.

Also, outside Japan, I'm not sure if Lucas is more popular than Ike, and the reason for this is Brawl. Here in Italy, for example, Ike is much more popular simply due to Brawl.

But, honestly, Ana, you shouldn't be angry at MOTHER anyway: it's a great series that preaches love and that tells us we should never have prejudices, but always our own thoughts and ideals. It's a staple of quirky videogames.

Who said I was angry at anything? I just have a hard time believing that a game that was only released in one country is more popular/has more popular characters overall than a game that was released worldwide and got a sequel that was also released worldwide.

Like I said, if I see proof, I'll concede defeat.

Mother always looked boring to me though, honestly. It's about...little kids with psychic powers. Yeah, not my thing.

Also, lol at "It was only released in Japan so no one outside Japan knows about it".

Way to exaggerate my point. We wouldn't be having this conversation if NOBODY outside of Japan knew about Mother. I meant that far fewer people know about the Mother series since it barely had any exposure outside of Japan. I didn't even know it existed until Brawl. I noticed Ness in Melee, but had no clue where the hell he was from.

Edited by Anacybele

[spoiler=Warning: Creepy Intro and Spoilers]

The view count is higher than any thing Ike related I've ever seen.

Also, Ana, I dare you to watch ALL of Emile's ending parts. Then tell me Mother 3 isn't heartbreaking or touching. I dare you.

He's also doing Xenoblade since you seem to know absolutely nothing about Shulk or Xenoblade itself.

Nope, I don't. And garbage? Don't make me laugh. It's fact that Lucas only touched Japan. As the video you just posted points out, his game was never released outside of Japan.

Ana it's seriously not cool to insult characters you know nothing about. A staple to how dedicated the west is to Mother 3, the guy who translated it is an official translator. He's not just some random fan with too much spare time that happens to know Japanese. He's a guy who actually translates games and anime for a living. Have you heard of Kingdom Hearts? He was the script director for Kingdom Hearts 2. He took on a monumental task that he is use to getting paid for, put his free time away from work to do what he does for a living, just to translate this game. And the person linked in the video is Chuggaconroy, one of the biggest Let's Players in history.

Who said I was angry at anything? I just have a hard time believing that a game that was only released in one country is more popular/has more popular characters overall than a game that was released worldwide and got a sequel that was also released worldwide.

Like I said, if I see proof, I'll concede defeat.

Mother always looked boring to me though, honestly. It's about...little kids with psychic powers. Yeah, not my thing.

Being released world wide or with a sequel doesn't mean anything. Plenty of games have been released world wide and have had sequel and don't have the fanbase nearly half as big as Mother. Have you ever heard of Valkyrie Profile? Lunar Silver Star Story? Besides as I mentioned before the only reason there aren't more mother games is because no one involved wants to make any more of them. Not because of popularity or sales.

Edited by Jotari

Ana it's seriously not cool to insult characters you know nothing about. A staple to how dedicated the west is to Mother 3, the guy who translated it is an official translator. He's not just some random fan with too much spare time that happens to know Japanese. He's a guy who actually translates games and anime for a living. Have you heard of Kingdom Hearts? He was the script director for Kingdom Hearts 2. He took on a monumental task that he is use to getting paid for, put his free time away from work to do what he does for a living, just to translate this game. And the person linked in the video is Chuggaconroy, one of the biggest Let's Players in history.

Obviously I was referring to what Lucas was like in the SSE. >_> I felt he was a wimp.

Oh, Chuggaconroy. Yeah, I know about him. I've not watched any of his videos before though. I don't watch Let's Plays, since I prefer to actually play games myself.

Also, Ana, I dare you to watch ALL of Emile's ending parts. Then tell me Mother 3 isn't heartbreaking or touching. I dare you.

No thanks. Like I said, I'm not interested in Mother. Also, even if I was, I'd be playing the games myself first before going to a video and spoiling myself of the story.

Edited by Anacybele

Having someone watch a touching moment designed after buildup to make a point isn't the smartest move.

Ana it's seriously not cool to insult characters you know nothing about.

This is honestly the cause of the majority of the Ana drama in this thread.

Edited by shadowofchaos