SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Well, if the Japanese market is any indicator, Mother 3 outsold both FE9 and FE10 in Japan combined.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3847/mother-3/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/771/fire-emblem-path-of-radiance/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/12971/fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/

There's no solid way to tell, I think, exactly how many downloads the translation patch has overseas.

And this comes as no surprise to me. Though from what I learned from doing research on Ike's games awhile back, his games were poorly advertised and marketed, and not just in Japan. Didn't a lot of Japanese not even recognize him when he was revealed for SSB Wii U/3DS back in May? I myself had never even heard of Ike or his games until Brawl came out.

This is a reason I began to believe that PoR and RD are just really underrated/underappreciated/underplayed. They even got pretty good reviews and RD made a top 20 Wii game list at number 15.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if the Japanese market is any indicator, Mother 3 outsold both FE9 and FE10 in Japan combined.

There's no solid way to tell, I think, exactly how many downloads the translation patch has overseas.

Something else to factor in is that it was also a Gameboy Advance game released in 2006, two years after the DS had already hit the shelves. Probably the only reason it didn't get an official localisation.

Something else to factor in is that it was also a Gameboy Advance game released in 2006, two years after the DS had already hit the shelves. Probably the only reason it didn't get an official localisation.

Huh. Similar to how PoR was released at the end of the Gamecube's lifespan (which might've also contributed to low sales. Didn't Thracia 776 suffer a similar fate?). I guess the two ARE kind of comparable. o.o

Edited by Anacybele

VGZCharts also pulls numbers out their asses, if you folks haven't forgotten.

Huh. Similar to how PoR was released at the end of the Gamecube's lifespan (which might've also contributed to low sales. Didn't Thracia 776 suffer a similar fate?). I guess the two ARE kind of comparable. o.o

Eeeeh not quite. Thracia 776 was, AFAIK literally the last Super Famicom game from Nintendo. PoR was also released on a platform that was pretty unpopular. GameCube was nowhere near the level of the SNES/SFC's popularity.

Thracia came out in '99. WELL after the N64 was out.

PoR predated the Wii.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

Path of Radiance was still released before the Wii was. I'd compare it more to Thracia 776 which was a SNES game released in 1999.

Another thing to note is that according to Tomato (aka Clyde Mandelin aka the translator of Mother 3), the translation patch was downloaded over 100,000 times shortly after release, way above everyone's expectations.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3891/you_say_tomato_a_pro_on_.php

EDIT: VGChartz numbers are better ignored, so here's a Media Create source: On the Top 500 selling games of 2006, Mother 3 ranked at #36, with 368,582 units sold total.

http://geimin.net/da/db/2006_ne_fa/index.php

Edited by Jave

Path of Radiance was still released before the Wii was. I'd compare it more to Thracia 776 which was a SNES game released in 1999.

Yeah, that's true. But the Wii still existed at the time. I believe I got mine in...early 07, just barely a year after PoR came out. And before that, it was still being marketed. I doubt many people wanted to buy a GC and more GC games during that period.

I think IS should release a PoR/RD bundle collection for the Wii U. Not necessarily remakes (even though I'm sure more paired endings and a better support system in RD would be a welcome sight), a port with updated graphics. The games just need to be more available these days in any case.

Edited by Anacybele

Isn't VGChartz really unreliable, though?

Well the original point was to compare them, and as it stands it's been proven since there was a debate in the first place that the popularity is comparable. Even if Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are more popular (not saying they are or aren't) they aren't so immensely beyond the popularity of Mother 3 that the two characters can't be compared.

Comparable is one thing, but the statement used was, "Lucas is more popular in America by far." Personally, I find that hard to believe. Fire Emblem might not have been a hugely-known series at the time, but Mother/Earthbound would likely have been even less so (worldwide).

Comparable is one thing, but the statement used was, "Lucas is more popular in America by far." Personally, I find that hard to believe. Fire Emblem might not have been a hugely-known series at the time, but Mother/Earthbound would likely have been even less so (worldwide).

Yeah, this is exactly what I was trying to get at.

But I guess I'm not known for being good at getting my point across... I'm just too vocal and blunt, it seems. Gotta work on that...

Edited by Anacybele

They are, which is why I cited a better source in the previous page:

Another thing to note is that according to Tomato (aka Clyde Mandelin aka the translator of Mother 3), the translation patch was downloaded over 100,000 times shortly after release, way above everyone's expectations.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3891/you_say_tomato_a_pro_on_.php

EDIT: VGChartz numbers are better ignored, so here's a Media Create source: On the Top 500 selling games of 2006, Mother 3 ranked at #36, with 368,582 units sold total.

http://geimin.net/da/db/2006_ne_fa/index.php

Yeah, that's true. But the Wii still existed at the time. I believe I got mine in...early 07, just barely a year after PoR came out. And before that, it was still being marketed. I doubt many people wanted to buy a GC and more GC games during that period.

I think IS should release a PoR/RD bundle collection for the Wii U. Not necessarily remakes (even though I'm sure more paired endings and a better support system in RD would be a welcome sight), a port with updated graphics. The games just need to be more available these days in any case.

They'll be making Gamecube Virtual Console games soon enough I'm sure. That will at least give many a second chance to play Path of Radiance.

I was referring to the very first statement that Lucas has a good chance of returning which compared him to both Ike and Lucina, Ike for popularity and period of release, Lucina for status as clones.

And someone did link an article detailing why VChartz is unreliable. The sales figures are all estimates made by amateurs. Dedicated people but amateurs nonetheless.

Edited by Jotari

And wow I have to laugh at Lucas being called a crybaby when compared to the muscle head known as Ike.

Ana, get an emulator. Get a Mother 3 ROM and the translation patch. Play it through ALL the way and tell me Lucas is a crybaby.

More specifically, a crybaby without a damn good reason. He saw a lot more shit than Ikey-Stu ever did and grew from it.

I really don't think it's good to cite information from Wikipedia.

I seriously find that place to be one of the most devious and untrusted sites of all. Anyone can edit it, so it's not always true. (No one usually bothers to mess anything up anyways, but you could get unlucky).

Please stop telling me to play Mother games. I've already expressed a disinterest in them. And besides that, I don't emulate.

They'll be making Gamecube Virtual Console games soon enough I'm sure. That will at least give many a second chance to play Path of Radiance.

Not good enough. PoR being on the VC would be fine, except RD exists. Many newbies that play PoR will probably want to play RD as well after that. But RD will remain too hard and expensive to get if only PoR gets any kind of rerelease. That's why I said a bundle containing both games would be the best idea.

Edited by Anacybele

Please stop telling me to play Mother games. I've already expressed a disinterest in them. And besides that, I don't emulate.

Not good enough. PoR being on the VC would be fine, except RD exists. Many newbies that play PoR will probably want to play RD as well after that. But RD will remain too hard and expensive to get if only PoR gets any kind of rerelease. That's why I said a bundle containing both games would be the best idea.

Eh not good enough for what? I didn't know we were talking with some kind of benchmark to pass. I said at least that would give people a chance to play Path of Radiance. Obviously it would be superior if all out favorite games were constantly available from official sources. If we're going to go down the release path though I'd much rather a Holy War/Thracia rerelease since they are also hugely under appreciated games as a whole and haven't got a chance to be localized yet.

I don't know how likely Gamecube virtual console games are. And by that I mean I don't know if the Wii U can handle them. It may be the same situation with the 3DS and GBA, with how you could run GBA games via DS exploit, and you could likely run Gamecube games via Wii Menu exploit. Although I'm not sure why they don't offer Gamecube and Wii games as regular downloadable games, same with GBA and DS on the 3DS. Hopefully emulation is possible and we could see them on the Wii U soon.

Please stop telling me to play Mother games. I've already expressed a disinterest in them.

Out of curiosity, why? I can understand (and respect) not playing Mother 3 due to not wanting to emulate, but since you own a Wii U why not give Earthbound a try?

I mean, you keep saying that "more people should play PoR/RD because they're underappreciated/underplayed" but you never seem to acknowledge the other side of the coin. If you want people to reach into the games you like, you should start by reaching into other series yourself. Specially a series like Mother, which is like no other series in the genre.

Eh not good enough for what? I didn't know we were talking with some kind of benchmark to pass. I said at least that would give people a chance to play Path of Radiance. Obviously it would be superior if all out favorite games were constantly available from official sources. If we're going to go down the release path though I'd much rather a Holy War/Thracia rerelease since they are also hugely under appreciated games as a whole and haven't got a chance to be localized yet.

Oh, I agree that those should be localized too, not arguing against that. I'm just saying that I think IS would make more money if they made a bundle port of PoR/RD (with no stupid data transfer errors in the English versions) and marketed it better than the originals were instead of just settling for a VC release of PoR. And make them available for download in case there's a repeat of the Awakening fiasco.

Out of curiosity, why? I can understand (and respect) not playing Mother 3 due to not wanting to emulate, but since you own a Wii U why not give Earthbound a try?

I mean, you keep saying that "more people should play PoR/RD because they're underappreciated/underplayed" but you never seem to acknowledge the other side of the coin. If you want people to reach into the games you like, you should start by reaching into other series yourself. Specially a series like Mother, which is like no other series in the genre.

I've looked a bit into Earthbound. It just doesn't interest me. I've some interest in playing some other titles someday, but I still haven't gained enough to buy them.

Edited by Anacybele

I completely agree they should be in a bundle but what if Nintendo decides not to put out Radiant Dawn and only Path of Radiance remains. :Lilina:

I completely agree they should be in a bundle but what if Nintendo decides not to put out Radiant Dawn and only Path of Radiance remains. :Lilina:

Then that would completely suck and few people would get to experience Smash Wii U/3DS Ike (he's RD Ike, after all) in his own game. :(

I don't know how likely Gamecube virtual console games are. And by that I mean I don't know if the Wii U can handle them. It may be the same situation with the 3DS and GBA, with how you could run GBA games via DS exploit, and you could likely run Gamecube games via Wii Menu exploit. Although I'm not sure why they don't offer Gamecube and Wii games as regular downloadable games, same with GBA and DS on the 3DS. Hopefully emulation is possible and we could see them on the Wii U soon.

The Wii U has 23 times more ram than the Wii did and enough internal storage to hold every NES, SNES and N64 game. Emulating (which is what normal Virtual Console games are doing) Gamecube Games should be well within it's ability.

Then that would completely suck and few people would get to experience Smash Wii U/3DS Ike (he's RD Ike, after all) in his own game. :(

Though POR is very popular Radiant Dawm has it soundly beat as more people have played it so if they could only have one choose Radiant Dawn Nintendo!!!!!!!!!

Though POR is very popular Radiant Dawm has it soundly beat as more people have played it so if they could only have one choose Radiant Dawn Nintendo!!!!!!!!!

That might be true, actually. Almost every poll I've seen for FE games has Radiant Dawn winning out as the most popular, with PoR and FE7 at second place (pre-Awakening polls, I mean). But PoR is on the GC and happens first in the timeline, so it would probably still make more sense to rerelease it instead.

I should make a separate thread about this in the Tellius forum. It's getting too off topic. lol

Edited by Anacybele

That might be true, actually. Almost every poll I've seen for FE games has Radiant Dawn winning out as the most popular, with PoR and FE7 at second place (pre-Awakening polls, I mean). But PoR is on the GC and happens first in the timeline, so it would probably still make more sense to rerelease it instead.

Yep I guess so as POR started the Tellius Series.