SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to be a princess to wear a crown. Look at characters such as Glinda from The Wizard of Oz. She's a witch, not a princess. But Rosalina probably is one anyway. She WAS still wearing a crown as a child.

Edited by Anacybele

The Pic of the Day two days ago (Robin casting Nosferatu) was about Sakurai saying:

Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series.

Could this be sort of a hint of the next FE featuring another Avatar mastering all types of Magic including Dark? Or simply a mage lord with these characteristics?

Or is this irrelevant to the series .-.

The Pic of the Day two days ago (Robin casting Nosferatu) was about Sakurai saying:

Could this be sort of a hint of the next FE featuring another Avatar mastering all types of Magic including Dark? Or simply a mage lord with these characteristics?

It's probably irrelevant rambling lol.

"Lazy moves"? THAT'S a lazy move? You know, we could just not get any Mega Man stages for the 3DS. Would that make you happier? A lack of a stage?

I don't see how any of this proves me wrong at all...

Could go either way. Entirely possible he knows some people at IS and that's what's going down, but also entirely possible he's just kinda joking. My guess goes to him just joking.

I don't see how any of this proves me wrong at all...

Ninian is obviously saying that you should just be happy that there's a Megaman stage in both games at all.

He kinda is, actually. This isn't a fap session for him, his duty is to the people who buy the game.

>_> "fap session", harsh words lol

I respectfully disagree though, game developers aren't obligated to serve self-proclaimed "fans" of a game/series or anyone else. Likewise, those people aren't obligated to buy and play the game. Is it in his interests to try and please the fans? Yes, that's why he does it to the extent he does. But don't think that means it's okay to have the mentality of wanting, wanting, and wanting with no respect for the developer's own wishes, desires, knowledge, and health; he's not a slave. One of the many problems with sequels is expectations and I have no doubt said expectations have taken a significant toll on his health. There's such things as being fair and not being spoiled, some people simply forget to keep those in mind... or never had them in mind to start with. :\

A general comment, not directed towards you specifically. Sadly I'm lazy so I might not respond again, my apologies but I only really post on a whim to start with so I'm not good at discussions XP

Sakurai said that he's played through Awakening and knows that Nosferatu is not useable in Robin's current state but added it to utilize all four main magics in the game.

>_> "fap session", harsh words lol

I respectfully disagree though, game developers aren't obligated to serve self-proclaimed "fans" of a game/series or anyone else. Likewise, those people aren't obligated to buy and play the game. Is it in his interests to try and please the fans? Yes, that's why he does it to the extent he does. But don't think that means it's okay to have the mentality of wanting, wanting, and wanting with no respect for the developer's own wishes, desires, knowledge, and health; he's not a slave. One of the many problems with sequels is expectations and I have no doubt said expectations have taken a significant toll on his health. There's such things as being fair and not being spoiled, some people simply forget to keep those in mind... or never had them in mind to start with. :\

A general comment, not directed towards you specifically. Sadly I'm lazy so I might not respond again, my apologies but I only really post on a whim to start with so I'm not good at discussions XP

There is a point where fan demand can go overboard, and a creator should always be allowed to have some creative license, but I did say "people who buy the game" very specifically. The fact of the matter is that if people buy it and don't like it, he's failed, no matter how much he may have loved it himself.

People can be hypocritical in this area, because they make demands and feel they should be catered to, yet are mad when someone "sells out." If Sakurai simply added all the most popular characters to the game, those are the kind of complaints you'd end up seeing.

For the record, I don't think Sakurai is doing anything wrong right now. I do feel Kid Icarus is somewhat over-represented, though.

For the record, I don't think Sakurai is doing anything wrong right now. I do feel Kid Icarus is somewhat over-represented, though.

You think two characters is over-representing a series?

I really hate the topic title and think it needs to be changed. It's very obviously a cheap jab and me and Anacybele and you all seem to find it SO funny.

To me it's clearly just a stab at anyone arguing about anything; we're all fanboys/girls of something or other here, aren't we? Grow a sense of humor and don't take it so personally.

That's pretty lazy, heh.

Look I know you and a bunch of other people think that game creators can pretty much do whatever they want and that any lack of effort where extra could have been made automatically = laziness, but video games are a production; they take time and effort for anything in them to happen at all. Of all the things to complain about in Super Smash Bros, 'lazy' isn't really a word to lightly use. When the creators are putting so much into any other given feature of the game that clearly has effort in it, I don't think it's too much to ask to give them a little fucking leniency when they decide to reuse SOME of the assets.

Besides, it's not like the shit is just straight-up copied over for any of the stages that show up on both versions; they make the effort to differentiate them at least a little. Just be grateful for what we get.

I am in complete agreement. In the case of Kid Icarus, it's hard for me not to throw the term 'creator bias' around (and yes, I'm aware that calling it 'creator' bias is a misnomer as Sakurai didn't create the KI series; guess how much I care?) for the kind of treatment it's been getting in this game, but at the same time, it's not like it hurts anything (unless Palutena gets the Brawl!Meta Knight treatment, which I'm still kind of worried about).

Seriously though, I don't get how people can complain about overrepresentation for Fire Emblem when shit like Pit being on both games' covers is happening. This just goes back to that thing about some Smash fans being too whiny. As it stands, the game seems like it's doing a great job of catering to its intended audience, as well as widening said audience. I can't in good conscience complain (until Ridley is definitely confirmed to be unplayable lol).

Edited by BANRYU

Two playable characters, two assist trophies, part of the scrolling through series in the initial reveal trailer (which did not include the likes of Fire Emblem, Yoshi, F-Zero, or Mother, the former two of which are bigger series and the latter three of which have been around since the start of SSB), and Pit is on both covers (Fox, who was in the reveal trailer, did not even make it to either, while Donkey Kong only made it to one). It's also got an item and (presumably) two stages, but that's to be expected.

All this for a series with only one game this century and three games total. A series like Mother might have about as much content in game (in Brawl, anyway) while being about the same size as a series, but it's never been a big part of the marketing like Kid Icarus.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I really wish Skull Kid was the new Zelda character in this game, but instead Sakurai makes him an AT >_>. At least he's in the game in some form.

what do i know, i want rouge to return to the sonic series

What RFoF said, basically.

To add to that, it's analogous to Kirby's overrepresentation in Brawl: The characters were probably warranted, but the huge number of Kirby items and the characters' role in the SSE-- in which they were basically the single three most important characters-- was not warranted or really fair to the other characters so much, in my opinion.

I don't think it's malicious or even that intentional or anything, and it makes sense that Sakurai would have more ideas from the two series that he knows best, but it kind of worries me that he doesn't seem to be more self-aware of it, lol.

At least in the case of Smash 3U, it seems a LITTLE tamer. The main thing that bothers me is the fact that Pit shows up in so much of the marketing.

Kid Icarus has two things a lot of these other series don't. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history and Pit happens to be one of the oldest characters there. His game was released in 1986, the same year as Zelda and Metroid. And age is something they've highlighted, very blatantly in the Pac Man trailer. He also happens to be one of the few series made purely by Nintendo. not by any outside companys or people. The only series to have this claim outside of the ones in the opening scroll of characters is F Zero which isn't really that important a series at the end of the day. I'm not saying creator bias isn't in effect, but I think you might be exaggerating a little. Pit might have only been in Smash since Brawl but Nintendo itself has wanted him around since long before Sakurai got his hands on the franchise. He is an icon of Nintendo and has the right to be seen as one.

I really wish Skull Kid was the new Zelda character in this game, but instead Sakurai makes him an AT >_>. At least he's in the game in some form.

Bleh, I'm personally glad Skull Kid is just an assist. I never liked him or Majora's Mask.

Kid Icarus has two things a lot of these other series don't. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history and Pit happens to be one of the oldest characters there. His game was released in 1986, the same year as Zelda and Metroid. And age is something they've highlighted, very blatantly in the Pac Man trailer. He also happens to be one of the few series made purely by Nintendo. not by any outside companys or people. The only series to have this claim outside of the ones in the opening scroll of characters is F Zero which isn't really that important a series at the end of the day. I'm not saying creator bias isn't in effect, but I think you might be exaggerating a little. Pit might have only been in Smash since Brawl but Nintendo itself has wanted him around since long before Sakurai got his hands on the franchise. He is an icon of Nintendo and has the right to be seen as one.

Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. don't get nearly the same kind of attention despite being even more important to Nintendo. Regardless of how old he is, one simply cannot say that Pit is an icon like Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Pac-Man, Sonic, and arguably multiple others like Samus and Kirby.

Im guessing that's another game you have no interest in playing?

Um, no. I've played through and beaten Majora's Mask. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said that I didn't like it.

Edited by Anacybele

Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. don't get nearly the same kind of attention despite being even more important to Nintendo. Regardless of how old he is, one simply cannot say that Pit is an icon like Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Pac-Man, Sonic, and arguably multiple others like Samus and Kirby.

The difference between Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B is that they aren't active series. Kid Icarus might have taken a (very) large break between games but is still an alive and active series. Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B were never really franchises either. They were both consoles. I'm quite sure the character of Mr Game & Watch didn't exist until Melee. There wasn't originally a single character you were meant to be playing as in the Game & Games. They had different appearances and quite a few of them were Mario games too where you were clearly meant to be playing as Mario.

Bleh, I'm personally glad Skull Kid is just an assist. I never liked him or Majora's Mask.

Okay?... I wanted Skull Kid and am sad he isn't in. No need to rain on my already damp parade.

46546420.jpg

Edited by Maester Indigo

Ninian is obviously saying that you should just be happy that there's a Megaman stage in both games at all.

why.

Look I know you and a bunch of other people think that game creators can pretty much do whatever they want and that any lack of effort where extra could have been made automatically = laziness, but video games are a production; they take time and effort for anything in them to happen at all. Of all the things to complain about in Super Smash Bros, 'lazy' isn't really a word to lightly use. When the creators are putting so much into any other given feature of the game that clearly has effort in it, I don't think it's too much to ask to give them a little fucking leniency when they decide to reuse SOME of the assets.

Besides, it's not like the shit is just straight-up copied over for any of the stages that show up on both versions; they make the effort to differentiate them at least a little. Just be grateful for what we get.

nope, i don't think that (please don't make dumb assumptions about me). not saying being lazy is unjustifiable, in fact i'd say it's necessary in certain cases (especially considering they feel the need to pack in so many other features into the game); disappointed that it had to happen in favor of one of my favorite franchises though.

i don't need to be grateful for a commercial product that i have to pay for.