SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Nope, I don't. And garbage? Don't make me laugh. It's fact that Lucas only touched Japan. As the video you just posted points out, his game was never released outside of Japan.

Give me proof that Lucas is more popular than Ike (which would be totally weird anyway. How can someone like a crybaby kid over a badass muscular swordsman like Ike?) outside of Japan and I'll shut up.

And no, I've never heard of that guy.

Please tell me this is a joke. PLEASE.

Considering all the shit Lucas goes through in his game and how he grows up during the various events, he's probably more of a man than a lot of these muscular video game heroes.

Edited by Jave

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I was referring to what Lucas was like in the SSE. >_> I felt he was a wimp.

Oh, Chuggaconroy. Yeah, I know about him. I've not watched any of his videos before though. I don't watch Let's Plays, since I prefer to actually play games myself.

No thanks. Like I said, I'm not interested in Mother.

Good plan

Judge a character based on a crossover that is not supposed to have a story.

Then you cannot say anything about Lucas without playing the game

Having someone watch a touching moment designed after buildup to make a point isn't the smartest move.

Yeah, I suppose you are right, but it's nauseating to see this happen from her again. Bashing a character and game she knows nothing about.

^You see, people... *THIS* is a good Ike fan.

Appreciates his qualities, yet realizes his limitations in regards to his popularity and as a character.

And doesn't bring up their headcanons or comparisons to other characters without proper research.

Wbkmtosl.jpg

Who here agrees with this statement of mine?

Yeah, I suppose you are right, but it's nauseating to see this happen from her again. Bashing a character and game she knows nothing about.

I won't deny that I "bashed" Lucas, but where did I ever bash his game? I've never played it, so why would I bash it?

EDIT: SOC, I would appreciate if it you didn't go around calling me a terrible Ike fan.

Edited by Anacybele

Obviously I was referring to what Lucas was like in the SSE. >_> I felt he was a wimp.

To be fair, he does cry a lot throughout the early parts of Mother 3, but, in the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'll just say he has a VERY good reason to be that way.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

To be fair, he kind of is a wimp who cries a lot early through a lot of the early parts of Mother 3, but, in the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'll just say he has a VERY good reason to be that way.

I see. Then I'd probably have a similar view to him that I do Soren in Ike's games. Soren has very good reasons for being a rude, insulting twat to others, going so far as to provoke unneeded fights, but I still can't stand him.

Edited by Anacybele

I won't deny that I "bashed" Lucas, but where did I ever bash his game? I've never played it, so why would I bash it?

EDIT: SOC, I would appreciate if it you didn't go around calling me a terrible Ike fan.

You undermined the game's legacy and the impact it had on its fans, without knowing anything about it. People don't take kindly to that.

You'd be thought of as a better Ike fan when you realize that Ike isn't the most popular thing since sliced bread, and that Mother in its entirety is more popular than he is.

I see. Then I'd probably have a similar view to him that I do Soren in Ike's games. Soren has very good reasons for being a rude, insulting twat to others, going so far as to provoke unneeded fights, but I still can't stand him.

Ana, if you'd like I will PM you the exact spoiler that caused him to react like that.

Thing is, Lucas goes through massive character growth throughout the game and deals with grief pretty realistically (despite how unrealistic the game is). It's a major reason he's so well-liked as a character.

You'd be thought of as a better Ike fan when you realize that Ike isn't the most popular thing since sliced bread, and that Mother in its entirety is more popular than he is.

What? I've NEVER said anything of the sort about Ike's popularity. I realize that there are tons of games and characters more popular than him and his games. I may think that he and his games are really underappreciated and underplayed and it might sadden me, but I know full well that his popularity only exists in the west. Japan hates him, and I don't even believe he's the most popular FE character overall. No, I'd say Marth and maybe even Hector are more popular. Sigurd too, perhaps.

You undermined the game's legacy and the impact it had on its fans, without knowing anything about it. People don't take kindly to that.

Well, it wasn't meant to be an insult to the game itself. But my apologies anyhow.

Edited by Anacybele

I was writing a tl;dr to defend Lucas but my window crashed ;;

But I'm glad you guys are defending him, he deserves it.

And Ike DOESN'T deserve anymore love? :(

Not saying that I want to continue claiming that he's more popular or anything. It's clearly possible that I'm entirely wrong about that. But I still believe people don't give Ike enough credit/love anyway.

No, I think both deserve a lot of love! But Lucas doesn't deserve to be called a crybaby wimp, because he goes through a lot of horrible things and still lives through it with hope.

Oh, I misunderstood then. My mistake. xP

Not saying that I want to continue claiming that he's more popular or anything. It's clearly possible that I'm entirely wrong about that. But I still believe people don't give Ike enough credit/love anyway.

You're the only one here that resorts to bashing other characters, though.

At the very least, I've never been bothered when other people express their dislike over other characters, because at least they're more tactful about it, or they do it in jest.

Believe me I'd be more vocal about how cool I think Ike was if you didn't do it to the point I'd be hitting a dead cow with a broken record player.

We're not saying he doesn't. No one's saying that.

What we are saying is that it's really unfair to bash a character for their actions solely because they react in a way that your preferred characters wouldn't.

No, I think both deserve a lot of love! But Lucas doesn't deserve to be called a crybaby wimp, because he goes through a lot of horrible things and still lives through it with hope.

This EXACTLY.

Ana...do you ever learn from your actions? Just don't insult characters or games, or anything for that matter. You can say you don't like something, but leave it at that. The last two or three pages of this thread have been so because of a bit of ignorance. Everyone move on from this, Ana, learn to control your mouth. Trust me, mine gets me into a lot of trouble.

Lol at Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation dialog. "Salute the Sun."

Oh my God, she does say that. Where's the Dark Souls x Wii Fit Trainer crossover art?

Lucas is still far more popular than Ike. If you think even for a second that FE Tellius is more popular than Mother 3, then you're kidding yourself.

In fact, I dare say the the Mother series's cult following is larger than a cult nowadays, and that it dwarfed pre-Awakening FE's fanbase.

Just sayin'.

Just quoting this part because the conversation is long by now.

People, is it really a surprise for someone to think Ike's games are more well-known than Lucas'? In fact, I'd like to see some proof myself; Lucas may have gotten a fan translation that's surprisingly well-known (for being what it is) and a very loyal fanbase, but that still has to compare to Ike's game's actually existing on store shelves. Can anyone prove that Lucas is better-known/more popular/whatever relevant term than Ike? Because I don't think I've seen that, just empty statements about "touching hearts" and a YouTube video. Earthbound also doesn't seem to have had great worldwide sales, making me wonder where all of these Mother fans would have come from in the first place.

So, yeah. Not saying you're wrong but, citation? Because I honestly have a hard time believing that a fan-translation beats out games that were marketed and sold on store shelves. You catch my drift?

If you guys wish to move on from this, then stop bringing it up? I've admitted to making a mistake, sorry. ._.

And Red Fox of Fire brings up a good point.

Well, if the Japanese market is any indicator, Mother 3 outsold both FE9 and FE10 in Japan combined.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3847/mother-3/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/771/fire-emblem-path-of-radiance/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/12971/fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/

There's no solid way to tell, I think, exactly how many downloads the translation patch has overseas.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, July 22, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, July 22, 2014 - No reason given

Edit: double-posted by accident :(

Edited by Rollertoaster

Well the original point was to compare them, and as it stands it's been proven since there was a debate in the first place that the popularity is comparable. Even if Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are more popular (not saying they are or aren't) they aren't so immensely beyond the popularity of Mother 3 that the two characters can't be compared.

But to put a number on Mother 3's popularity for the sake of record, according to it's Wikipedia article, the translation was expected to get a couple dozen thousand downloads overall but had over 100,000 downloads in it's first week excluding downloads from other locations. Now that doesn't definitely mean 100,000 people downloaded it in the first week but it is still a staggering number.