SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I had a thought: What would you guys think, if Sakurai implemented some kind of mode that allows you to control a boss character against up to 4 players (cpu and/or human)? Depending on who gets made into a boss character (Mekonis FTW), I think this would make for a pretty nifty mode.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Mother 3 gets localized! ^^

I'd love to play Lucas's actual game. It'll help me know who my main actually is. :]

With the success that EB came on the VC...it will hopefully happen. Especially, if Lucas returns in this upcoming smash game. :D Even though the EB demo was removed from the English/European Brawl copies. Understandable on why that FE3's demo was removed though.

I don't know, Snake can get pretty darn cartoony in his games, especially when he fights a giant robot. Or in Snake Eater, when he's afraid of vampires.

EDIT: I do want Snake to come back for Smash 4, but I know that I'm dreaming.

With Koonami not being on the title screen...I dunno. -.-

Some nice direct-audio feed of versus in Smash Bros 3DS

Hee hee...

It contains the track from the last chapter in Awakening! I'm just so excited that the FE series is getting more of the attention that it deserves. Hee hee...Take that, FF.

Wait a minute...the demo is out now to download?! This player is playing it alone. It's a dream come true if it is really out! Because everyone worldwide is waiting for this game. :D

Did Sakurai reuse Marth's Brawl voice clips? :/

I guess Ike will get the same treatment and we won't see an improved Jason Adkins...

SOC asked sometime ago about that, but I've never heard Marth talk in the demo. *Sigh* I should have used Taunt. -.-

I saw a different version of that. The best difference was that, in the picture of the milky way with the huge explosion, Ridley could be seen flying through space.

So...Chrom didn't make it. Big deal. Robin was the choice (Didn't expect both), but Lucina being in is still irritating. FE only needs three reps. Marth, Ike, and Robin are all that we need.

-----

I miss playing my Brawl online already. -.-

Edited by Bimbo

At this point all I want is Bandanna Waddle Dee to be playable. It must happen.

Why him? Is it just for the spear-based playstyle? Personally (as a big buff of the Kirby franchise myself), I don't think he's important enough to be in. TBH the biggest reason I think he was the playable 4th character in KRtDL is because they were really reaching, (don't misconstrue this as me thinking Waddles doesn't deserve to be playable in THAT game; I think he was a fun and creative addition, BUT) I don't think he's quite Smash material. He strikes me as being more along the lines of characters like Midna/Dark Samus/Lyn etc. or especially Toad (and I think that's about as close an analogy as you can make for the two series). Also, I think putting him in would be overrepresentation for a series whose most important/deserving characters are all already in.

Now, all you have to do is hope for my magical being-wrong powers to kick in *o* (But in the words of someone else I was wrong about, 'I can only use them so many times!')

I had a thought: What would you guys think, if Sakurai implemented some kind of mode that allows you to control a boss character against up to 4 players (cpu and/or human)? Depending on who gets made into a boss character (Mekonis FTW), I think this would make for a pretty nifty mode.

Mm. I don't think that's a good idea. In any gameplay situation where you have two opposing sides that don't have access to the same abilities, it's very difficult for it not to feel unfair for one side or the other. If the boss character is powerful and/or skilled enough, players might feel like the boss is too strong to do anything against (and assuming this is online play, people online aren't exactly the most conducive when it comes to teamwork); and if the boss's abilities aren't strong enough or the boss player is less skilled than the regular characters, then that person would feel ganged-up-on, which is never a good feeling.

Long story short, when not everyone can do the same thing it's extremely hard to balance gameplay. (And don't play the 'but Banny all the Smashers have different abilities' card on me, it's not the same as what I'm talking about and you know it.) Am I saying it's impossible to create a gameplay situation like that which is still feels fun and fair to play? Of course not. Am I saying Super Smash Bros isn't the kind of game that should have something like that? Yes.

Edited by BANRYU

http://www.pixelitis.net/news/earthbound-usa-documentary-planned-release-2015

Hee hee...

EB is getting a re-release on the Wii-U. Gonna buy it. Must support the series. Must support canon. Tired of playing it on comp/my SNES cart (Which it will not last long now) anyway.

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother2/Pros-and-Cons-of-Earthbound-VC

^

That'll show that this series can be profitable outside of Japan. At least starman.net is on our side. :D

http://starmen.net/mother2/

It says here that it will be on the Wii-U soon. Nintendo has ignored us/retconned everything related to the series for a long time. Wonder what made them change their mind? Well...were supporting this shit one way or another.

Edited by Bimbo

http://starmen.net/mother2/

It says here that it will be on the Wii-U soon. Nintendo has ignored us/retconned everything related to the series for a long time. Wonder what made them change their mind? Well...were supporting this shit one way or another.

It's been out on the Wii U VC for several months already.

It's been out on the Wii U VC for several months already.

Figures. Why else would they say that the sales were a success?(Of course. They invested hardly no money at all to have it on the shop to download.) Also, Europe now has got this game for the first time. Please release Mother 3 on VC, Nintendo. Please.

EDIT: P.S. If we do get it, the game will likely be called Earthbound 2 and that Kumatora's name will definitely be localized as some other cuter name. ^_^

Edited by Bimbo

Mm. I don't think that's a good idea. In any gameplay situation where you have two opposing sides that don't have access to the same abilities, it's very difficult for it not to feel unfair for one side or the other. If the boss character is powerful and/or skilled enough, players might feel like the boss is too strong to do anything against (and assuming this is online play

This is a Nintendo game, of course I'm not talking about online play. (please don't take seriously)

I can't really say I agree with the points you listed, but everywhere I go people seem to loathe the idea too--ah well, that's what discussions are for.

Edited by Mugen Wing

Figures. Why else would they say that the sales were a success?(Of course. They invested hardly no money at all to have it on the shop to download.) Also, Europe now has got this game for the first time. Please release Mother 3 on VC, Nintendo. Please.

EDIT: P.S. If we do get it, the game will likely be called Earthbound 2 and that Kumatora's name will definitely be localized as some other cuter name. ^_^

Many people interpreted the "Give us Mother 3!" joke at E3 to be a hint of some sort because people thought they wouldn't joke at Mother 3 just to slap at the fans. But it's also very possible it means nothing and Robot Chicken just asked Reggie for an annoying question he got a lot and that's what happened.

Why him? Is it just for the spear-based playstyle? Personally (as a big buff of the Kirby franchise myself), I don't think he's important enough to be in. TBH the biggest reason I think he was the playable 4th character in KRtDL is because they were really reaching, (don't misconstrue this as me thinking Waddles doesn't deserve to be playable in THAT game; I think he was a fun and creative addition, BUT) I don't think he's quite Smash material. He strikes me as being more along the lines of characters like Midna/Dark Samus/Lyn etc. or especially Toad (and I think that's about as close an analogy as you can make for the two series). Also, I think putting him in would be overrepresentation for a series whose most important/deserving characters are all already in.

Now, all you have to do is hope for my magical being-wrong powers to kick in *o* (But in the words of someone else I was wrong about, 'I can only use them so many times!')

I want Bandana Dee because spearcopter.

Also, BD is returning in some capacity in Rainbow Curse:

Bandana_Dee_Rainbow_Curse.png

Mm. I don't think that's a good idea. In any gameplay situation where you have two opposing sides that don't have access to the same abilities, it's very difficult for it not to feel unfair for one side or the other. If the boss character is powerful and/or skilled enough, players might feel like the boss is too strong to do anything against (and assuming this is online play, people online aren't exactly the most conducive when it comes to teamwork); and if the boss's abilities aren't strong enough or the boss player is less skilled than the regular characters, then that person would feel ganged-up-on, which is never a good feeling.

Long story short, when not everyone can do the same thing it's extremely hard to balance gameplay. (And don't play the 'but Banny all the Smashers have different abilities' card on me, it's not the same as what I'm talking about and you know it.) Am I saying it's impossible to create a gameplay situation like that which is still feels fun and fair to play? Of course not. Am I saying Super Smash Bros isn't the kind of game that should have something like that? Yes.

When I Heard the idea, it sounded more to me like a wacky addition than a mode with any serious claim to balance, like a Special Melee/Brawl mode.

I'd certainly love to get something like that myself, even moreso if the players could tweak it a bit. I may be wondering how they would handle, say, something like whether to force the player-controlled boss to go through the same lengthy cooldown periods of doing nothing after every attack that the AI does (because being too sluggish might make playing the boss a bit of a chore). And, assuming a situation where they'd elected to have no cooldown for the player-boss, how they'd handle the possibility that the player would continuously use attacks that took it offscreen or made it invincible or something (because that might just put the shoe on the other foot). But show me a smash player who's never wanted, on some level, to play as Master Hand, and I'll show you a smash player without a heart in their chest

This is a Nintendo game, of course I'm not talking about online play. (please don't take seriously)

I can't really say I agree with the points you listed, but everywhere I go people seem to loathe the idea too--ah well, that's what discussions are for.

Indeed it is-- so let's discuss. What did I say that you don't agree with? I think the points I was trying to make are sound, but I'm not always good at properly stating my case. I'm not totally against the idea, just skeptical. So, sell me on it *shrug*

When I Heard the idea, it sounded more to me like a wacky addition than a mode with any serious claim to balance, like a Special Melee/Brawl mode.

I'd certainly love to get something like that myself, even moreso if the players could tweak it a bit. I may be wondering how they would handle, say, something like whether to force the player-controlled boss to go through the same lengthy cooldown periods of doing nothing after every attack that the AI does (because being too sluggish might make playing the boss a bit of a chore). And, assuming a situation where they'd elected to have no cooldown for the player-boss, how they'd handle the possibility that the player would continuously use attacks that took it offscreen or made it invincible or something (because that might just put the shoe on the other foot). But show me a smash player who's never wanted, on some level, to play as Master Hand, and I'll show you a smash player without a heart in their chest

*opens chest to reveal empty hole* . . . *shrug*

And if it's any player-vs-player gameplay situation, it will automatically have a competitive edge to it, even if it's more of an intendedly-funsy game mode. Like I said, I don't think it's impossible to do without balancing well, (Nintendoland did it well with 2/3 PvP games), but I just question whether or not they would take the time to do that when they're balancing old features, implementing new ones, and doing all the character balance business with the huge cast and whatnot.

Okay, that's just weird. lol

Besides, it would make more sense if it was female Robin looking at all the guys since Smash still has more guys than girls. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Okay, that's just weird. lol

Besides, it would make more sense if it was female Robin looking at all the guys since Smash still has more guys than girls. :P

I think the point of it was to highlight Smash 4's high number of female playable characters compared to the previous games.

I think the point of it was to highlight Smash 4's high number of female playable characters compared to the previous games.

Oh. lol now I see.

I love how the humor in the posts from images in this thread gets taken so seriously nowadays.

Not like people have ever not taken unserious stuff seriously ever. Right.

Indeed it is-- so let's discuss. What did I say that you don't agree with? I think the points I was trying to make are sound, but I'm not always good at properly stating my case. I'm not totally against the idea, just skeptical. So, sell me on it *shrug*

*opens chest to reveal empty hole* . . . *shrug*

And if it's any player-vs-player gameplay situation, it will automatically have a competitive edge to it, even if it's more of an intendedly-funsy game mode. Like I said, I don't think it's impossible to do without balancing well, (Nintendoland did it well with 2/3 PvP games), but I just question whether or not they would take the time to do that when they're balancing old features, implementing new ones, and doing all the character balance business with the huge cast and whatnot.

No problem, I understood your case perfectly!

Primarily, I would have to refer to what for what Rehab said: I can't see how people would take a mode like that seriously, as it's just meant to add more insanity to the pre-existing chaos.

But you are right--there's always the risk that it won't be balanced/implemented properly, and/or someone takes it way too competitively than it is meant to be--making it not fun for alot.

I guess there's also the fact that I don't play Smash competitively anymore--I guess any idea I brainstorm is not one I think with the fgc in mind.

Edited by Mugen Wing

Yeah, must be costing Nintendo a bundle to animate all of them.

Yeah, must be costing Nintendo a bundle to animate all of them.

And all the extra time, too. If putting one female character in a game forces an entire company to give up their nights and weekends, then I highly doubt anyone making the Smash Bros. games has eaten since 2012.