SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

That makes sense. I recently played Melee again on emulator and, even though I played it plenty back in the day, I've been so used to Brawl lately and the increased speed kind of threw me off guard.

Not in comparison to other characters.

ebMVUfS.png

There is much more room at the top in Melee. If you ask a competitive player who the most powerful character in Brawl is, they'll say Meta Knight without a second thought, but that's not always the case with Melee. It's generally agreed to be Fox, but he doesn't dominate like Meta Knight does. I've never watched competitive Brawl (I would, but I never see it happening), but I watch competitive Melee a lot, and Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Jigglypuff, Peach and Ice Climbers are all pretty common to see. Captain Falcon is less common but I see him on occasion, as well (pretty much no one below C tier ever shows up, though). Anyone in S tier can usually take on Fox, but Meta Knight has no match-ups where he isn't at an advantage.

I'm only a spectator so I can't give a hands-on analysis, but I'm pretty certain the above is accurate.

Ah, yes, I see. I was aware that Meta Knight had a tier to himself, but not that Fox didn't. Thanks for explaining.

Oh, how exactly does Shulk's weapon stay on his back in his fanservice costume?

I was wondering this too. lol

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah fox is only top at the highest of levels, and even then top players can beat foxes. Just look at this past EVO, only 2 foxes made it to top 8 and one got wrecked by a pikachu in the last game of his set. Fox is really good like falco but they are easy to edgeguard which is why its somewhat balanced. Metaknight just dominates brawl in competitive play.

I have, however, heard that Melee has more outright garbage characters than Brawl. I assume that's why Melee has a G tier and Brawl doesn't.

Yeah thats probably true, like ness kirby and pichu are just terrible. I don't know brawl though. I hope smash 4 has a good balance. I know even PM atm isn't that balanced either though, its impossible to get it right though.

Ah, new info about Shulk. This confirms I'll be maining him no matter what, he's the type of character I like. If he gets banned, which I totally don't want in competitive context, I'd go for Rosalina or Little Mac.

Oh, how exactly does Shulk's weapon stay on his back in his fanservice costume?

Thou darest to question the power of the Monado? Foolish mortal!

[spoiler=Actual Answer: Contains Xenoblade Spoilers]

Because a god lives in it, dude. Seriously. Especially once the damn thing gets even bigger than it was originally.

~god power~

:P:

pichu are just terrible.

People who say this have clearly never met the dreaded Skilled Pichu Player. Its always embarrassing to lose to Pichu, but....

that guy~

That guy who is good with Pichu~

Oh I don't know, six stances to bounce around with both positives and negatives to each.

Then again a good chunk of the newcomers look technical as well

Does that necessarily make him a technical character? Sure, someone like say Rosalina looks technical, but Shulk... I dunno.

Sigh.. Sakurai, we do NOT want anymore Meta Knights. >.>

If everyone's is on Meta-knight's level, then no one is OP

I don't care how OP Shulk looks, I'm using him anyway. My friends and I don't play competitively anyway :P:

Same here. I only really play smash with my brother and it's for fun. I'm really looking forward to trying out Shulk and Robin.

I forget, is Meta Knight still commonly banned in North America?

It sort of amused me that we spent years arguing about whether he was good enough to ban, and may have (kicking and screaming at each other all the way) come to the conclusion that while it's not like a player using a character that wasn't Metaknight stood no chance of winning where he was allowed, he was good enough that there was no logical reason for anybody to pick any character other than him to compete, such were his win/usage/matchup stats. Then a couple of years ago (?) some guys from Japan came and might've been kinda like, "yeah, he's that good, but ban him? What are you, sissies?"

And a Japanese ROB had a good enough day to take first against our best players and their best Metaknight, and we all looked kinda dumb

It sort of amused me that we spent years arguing about whether he was good enough to ban, and may have (kicking and screaming at each other all the way) come to the conclusion that while it's not like a player using a character that wasn't Metaknight stood no chance of winning where he was allowed, he was good enough that there was no logical reason for anybody to pick any character other than him to compete, such were his win/usage/matchup stats. Then a couple of years ago (?) some guys from Japan came and might've been kinda like, "yeah, he's that good, but ban him? What are you, sissies?"

And a Japanese ROB had a good enough day to take first against our best players and their best Metaknight, and we all looked kinda dumb

Yeah, well...Japan.

Thou darest to question the power of the Monado? Foolish mortal!

[spoiler=Actual Answer: Contains Xenoblade Spoilers]

Because a god lives in it, dude. Seriously. Especially once the damn thing gets even bigger than it was originally.

~god power~

:P:

People who say this have clearly never met the dreaded Skilled Pichu Player. Its always embarrassing to lose to Pichu, but....

that guy~

That guy who is good with Pichu~

why wouldst thou not dareth? thanks for the explanation

hey, that's me! :D along with fox being the best in ssbm but still usable, low tiers are viable, so happy stuff.

If everyone's is on Meta-knight's level, then no one is OP

Same here. I only really play smash with my brother and it's for fun. I'm really looking forward to trying out Shulk and Robin.

are talking about project m?

Meta knight isn't banned

Yeah, well...Japan.

Japan has character gods in the fighting game community.

They pretty much pick someone and realize their weaknesses and stick with them.

I'm still sad I've never seen a Kanji win a Persona tournament.

Meta Knight is not nearly as much as he used to be. But its usually at the tourneys locations, preference

Seeing the 8 colors each character is getting, I wonder if Robin will get Male and Female Morgan? Thoughts?

I think that would be cool, but i feel like they are different heights, the morgans' always looked shorter than the default robin's to me.

I think hoping for more alt costumes is a bit too hopeful for Robin, since he/she already has one. They'll probably just be palette swaps.

Edited by Comet

I think hoping for more alt costumes is a bit too hopeful for Robin, since he/she already has one. They'll probably just be palette swaps.

Villager has 8 completely different costumes, and if the leaks are true, so does Bowser Jr.

Anyone want the children characters from Awakening to be Robin's alts? I mean they can technically be tactitions if the avatar 's married to their mom. Hahaha no it was stupid I'm sorry

New Mystery of the Emblem Avatar would be a good alt for Robin (especially if they give them an eye patch, a shaved head and a tiara). They could also throw them into different classes like the classic Merric style mage garb to represent more of the series rather than just one game.

Edited by Jotari