SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buttons. Took me forever to realize you could turn off tap-to-jump.

Never going back.

Basically that, except I took off tap to jump almost immediately. I've played that way since Melee, and it makes up tilts easier.

That is ...possible? Argh, how could I miss this all this time. All those times I left myself vulnerable... it never needed to happen.

Oh well, spoiled milk and all. I will celebrate this late discovery by playing using nothing but up tilts for the entire evening.

Edited by BrightBow

and it makes up tilts easier.

this was basically my entire reason

like I used buttons almost exclusively anyways, but it really got in the way of my utilts

so I was super happy when I learned you could turn it off

On a related note, I also switched the functions of R and L so R grabs and L shields because I always used Z on the GC controller for grabbing. I find it weird that the default was set up in such a way on the 3DS in the first place.

X and A = jump, Y = special, B = normal.

I assume "tap to jump" means using the analog stick up. I've still got mine turned on, but I never use it. I should turn it off, really.

As for Grab, I too switched it to R, and shield to L. Feels more natural that way because when grab was on L, I would never use it. On Melee/Brawl, I'd use R to shield/roll, so it's still a bit weird for me to use the L button at all.

I just never grab without doing R+A

I probably should sometime

I'm still getting used to grabbing out of shield.

for three games it's also been shield on the RIGHT as well

But grab has only been on the right (by default), and the 3DS only has one trigger on each side.

I'm still getting used to grabbing out of shield.

But grab has only been on the right (by default), and the 3DS only has one trigger on each side.

I'm aware

BrightBow was implying that grabbing was on the left exclusively (or at the very least was not mentioning that it in fact has a long history of being on both sides).

EDIT: tl;dr basically I was nitpicking

Edited by Euklyd

I actually had no problem adjusting to grabs being on the L-button. I've played the demo so much that I didn't bother to change anymore in the full version.

I even managed to get used to shield with Y, cause the R-button broke and I had to change the controls.

Looking back to prerelease, I think it's really hilarious how everyone was complaining about Palutena being overpowered, even going so far to call her a second Meta Knight (quite a popular phrase it seems), before even knowing how she was going to play.

Looking back to prerelease, I think it's really hilarious how everyone was complaining about Palutena being overpowered, even going so far to call her a second Meta Knight (quite a popular phrase it seems), before even knowing how she was going to play.

The problem was that the trailer depicted all her amazing custom movesets which falsely led us to believe it was her normal movesets. Which the majority of us were kind of not aware of until it was kind of shown off in the closed media meeting. This gave most fans the general first impression of her amazing abilities. Unfortunately, her default specials are pretty bad. Having reflect and counter at the same time is a weird awkward combination to have. Not to mention her up+b doesn't damage anyone and auto-reticule neutral+b is pretty mediocre in general.

If at least 1 or two of her custom moves were part of her default movesets, she would at least be slightly more viable.

Edited by kingddd

The problem was that the trailer depicted all her amazing custom movesets which falsely led us to believe it was her normal movesets. Which the majority of us were kind of not aware of until it was kind of shown off in the closed media meeting. This gave most fans the general first impression of her amazing abilities. Unfortunately, her default specials are pretty bad. Having reflect and counter at the same time is a weird awkward combination to have. Not to mention her up+b doesn't damage anyone and auto-reticule neutral+b is pretty mediocre in general.

If at least 1 or two of her custom moves were part of her default movesets, she would at least be slightly more viable.

She becomes particularly more useful in tournaments when customs are allowed, at least.

Yeah, Palutena's trailer was quite misleading, at least in regards to her potential.

Also it always brings a smile to my face when I finish off my opponent with Shulk's counter, and then on the victory screen he makes a remark about changing the future.

Edited by Shulk

Though I remember reading the remark of her being too strong even much after it was clear that all the moves were custom abilites.

I guess I'm alone on this, but I actually like her default specials. I love having both a counter and a move to reflect projectiles. This combination is unique to her, and it's fun to use every attack of your enemy against him. I like warp because of the freedom of direction to move. Auto-reticle is garbage though. No denying that.

Still have to fully explore her other moves though. I haven't experimented much with her yet.

In terms of customization, Explosive Flame is a great move. It comes out fast and has decent power. It just requires very precise aiming and spacing that is really quite hard to land on a fast moving opponent. I hope in the next game it'll open with some set knock back on her staff that knocks enemies into the flame so it can be used at close ranger too.

This is probably the most idiotic question I could ask, but...what are "Smash Run Powers"? One of the challenges is to get 25 of them. I have yet to find out what they are. Also, any tips for Smash Run? I've basically been running around the map, defeating enemies, going into doors and completing the mini-challenges when I encounter them, and getting the chests when I encounter those. That's about it, right?